Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Garden Talk: Georgia plants from a friend.

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 5, Views: 58
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 18, 2009
2:30 PM

Post #7285970

Hubby and I went to Georgia to pick up a travel trailer for his motorcycle that a friend was selling. When the guys were out side talking riding and men stuff, the wife and I started talking about gardening. Well she asked me if I had some of the plants that she had and I said no. She started digging me up plants. When we got done my hubby's new travel cart was full...lol. Now I need to get these plants planted along with the bulbs I bought.One she gave me she said was a type of lily. It has real long , I mean long dragging leaves, or what ever you call them. Does anyone know what the name of this one is. I also got yarrow, canna's, a type a daffodil, varrigated monkey grass, a red hydrangea, and much more I cant remember the names of now. I told her about this website and said that I think she will really like it.
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2009
6:17 PM

Post #7286717

I just Love those kind of visits.!! OOHH Red hydranga..yum!!!
You might want to check with her about the plant..might be a clivia..usually with a cluster of orange blooms. It isn't hardy outside in your area. My sis (used to live in NJ before moving a few miles to PA) used to winter hers over in their heated garage. I winter mine over in the house as the garage (UM..potting shed) is unheated and gets hit by winds.
Have fun..plant away!!! :)
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 18, 2009
10:05 PM

Post #7287384

OH I planted and I planted today. I am sore...lol. I moved the stone from the front flower bed and made it bigger. Put some garden soil there and mixed it in. then planted my last JP Maple. I got all my bulbs in the ground and I mowed the lawn with the bag to get up the rest of the leaves. I put the canna's under the over hang of the house so they can dry so I can put them in some peat moss for the winter. I am one tired puppy now...lol
Oh one of the plants she gave me was a cast iron plant. That one I am going to bring in the house. I am not so sure it can take this zone.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 19, 2009
3:24 PM

Post #7289537

I checked on the red hydrangea, and it is hardy in my zone. But the cast iron plant needs to be a house plant.
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 20, 2009
12:18 AM

Post #7291081

Sounds like a great trip for both of you, Marie!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 25, 2009
2:02 PM

Post #7308416

Marie, it is possible the lily you got may be a member of the crinum genus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crinum

http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/page23.html

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America