Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Garden Talk: Georgia plants from a friend.

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 5, Views: 58
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 18, 2009
2:30 PM

Post #7285970

Hubby and I went to Georgia to pick up a travel trailer for his motorcycle that a friend was selling. When the guys were out side talking riding and men stuff, the wife and I started talking about gardening. Well she asked me if I had some of the plants that she had and I said no. She started digging me up plants. When we got done my hubby's new travel cart was full...lol. Now I need to get these plants planted along with the bulbs I bought.One she gave me she said was a type of lily. It has real long , I mean long dragging leaves, or what ever you call them. Does anyone know what the name of this one is. I also got yarrow, canna's, a type a daffodil, varrigated monkey grass, a red hydrangea, and much more I cant remember the names of now. I told her about this website and said that I think she will really like it.
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2009
6:17 PM

Post #7286717

I just Love those kind of visits.!! OOHH Red hydranga..yum!!!
You might want to check with her about the plant..might be a clivia..usually with a cluster of orange blooms. It isn't hardy outside in your area. My sis (used to live in NJ before moving a few miles to PA) used to winter hers over in their heated garage. I winter mine over in the house as the garage (UM..potting shed) is unheated and gets hit by winds.
Have fun..plant away!!! :)
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 18, 2009
10:05 PM

Post #7287384

OH I planted and I planted today. I am sore...lol. I moved the stone from the front flower bed and made it bigger. Put some garden soil there and mixed it in. then planted my last JP Maple. I got all my bulbs in the ground and I mowed the lawn with the bag to get up the rest of the leaves. I put the canna's under the over hang of the house so they can dry so I can put them in some peat moss for the winter. I am one tired puppy now...lol
Oh one of the plants she gave me was a cast iron plant. That one I am going to bring in the house. I am not so sure it can take this zone.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 19, 2009
3:24 PM

Post #7289537

I checked on the red hydrangea, and it is hardy in my zone. But the cast iron plant needs to be a house plant.
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 20, 2009
12:18 AM

Post #7291081

Sounds like a great trip for both of you, Marie!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 25, 2009
2:02 PM

Post #7308416

Marie, it is possible the lily you got may be a member of the crinum genus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crinum

http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/page23.html

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America