-
AuthorContent
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2009
12:16 AM

Post #7287842

Does anyone have a suggestion for a new front porch light? I would love a motion detector solar one. I want a lot don't I? I'm looking for something that would be easy for me to install. Is something like this on the pricey side?

Thanks, Loretta
DesertPirate
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

November 19, 2009
5:47 AM

Post #7288818

Loretta, I don't know that I've ever seen a solar powered motion detector activated light.

As to how easy or difficult it is to install...that depends on a few things. First of all do you already have a porch light? If not, it can get complicated depending on how far you have to go to reach a power source. Maybe that's why you're thinking about solar. My experience with solar powered lights has not been that great. The ones that actually put out enough lumens to see by are quite expensive and again, I've never seen one that was combined with a motion detector.
I'm just not exactly sure how it would work unless you had a storage battery for the power supply. HMMMM!!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 19, 2009
3:03 PM

Post #7289485

Here's one http://www.gardeners.com/Solar-Motion-Light/20700,38-340,default,cp.html I think I've seen similar ones on other websites too. I've never tried them though, and given my experience with solar landscape lighting I would not trust it for my front porch light, I think the light would be dimmer than I want. Also with my front porch, I have a light that's on all night, it is fairly dim unless it senses motion and then it gets brighter. I like always having some light there, but then it saves energy by dimming when there's no motion. The solar light I linked to would be totally off/dark and then turn on if it sensed motion. So if you already have a porch light there, I would recommend replacing it with another regular light--switching those out is pretty easy and I think you'll be happier with the light output. Not to mention regular lights can be cheaper--as with anything you could spend hundreds of dollars on one if you wanted to, but I think the ones I have were under $50 so you don't need to spend a lot.
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2009
10:24 PM

Post #7290719

DesertPirate and Ecrane3, thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. I didn't realize what I was looking for was so expensive.

Right now I have an extension cord plugged into the only outside outlet in the back of the house. The extension cord runs under the house and I have a big "outlet" on the front porch. The light that no longer works is a big spotlight and it is above the door. Even on a ladder I can't reach it so it's a pain. It had a pull chain but that finally broke so there is no way to turn it on.

I think I will get a regular outdoor light and put it inside the porch near the stairs. That way it will light the stairs and I can access it.

I have a really nice solar lantern that I keep on a desk in the window. When I go out on the porch at night I just bring it with me. A workman came to the house last night and almost fell because there wasn't enough light. So that is what is motivating me to get a light ASAP.

Thanks again for your help.

Loretta

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America