Photo by Melody

Article: Sweet Olive, an Evergreen Shrub with Fragrant Flowers: Autumn Olive

Communities > Forums > Article: Sweet Olive, an Evergreen Shrub with Fragrant Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Article: Sweet Olive, an Evergreen Shrub with Fragrant FlowersReplies: 1, Views: 6
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sunflower1888
Manassas, VA

November 19, 2009
1:19 AM

Post #7288063

I have an Autumn Olive shrub in my yard. It sprouted up around the stump of a tree we had cut down when we first moved in. It blooms in April and perfumes the entire block!! I just love it.

One afternoon as my husband and I went for a walk I took a deep breath of the wonderful scent and sighed, "mmmm smell that Autumn Olive!" He looked over at me curiously, "Why would I want to smell a Guatemalan?" We had a good laugh over our miscommunication.
can2grow
Valparaiso, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 19, 2009
1:52 PM

Post #7289304

Please consult the following links.

http://www.inhs.uiuc.edu/chf/outreach/VMG/autolive.html

http://www.umext.maine.edu/onlinepubs/htmpubs/2525.htm

Be careful with autumn olive (Elaeagnus umbellata). It is an invasive species capable of displacing native plants and changing the ecology of an area.

Even though it is delightfully fragrant, we gardeners must weigh the cost of growing species that harm the environment.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Sweet Olive, an Evergreen Shrub with Fragrant Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Tea Olive bugme 4 Oct 29, 2009 11:23 PM
Tea Olive Tomroche 1 Nov 19, 2009 1:58 PM
Sweet Olive in new Orleans nolainbloom 3 Mar 2, 2010 3:19 PM
RUSSIAN OLIVE maiglocke 2 Jan 18, 2010 4:52 PM
Northern Envy....and a Question 1973tr6 1 Nov 8, 2009 2:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America