A walk along the winter beach.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I got to go to Yakutat Alaska and was fortunate enough to take a hike along the 400 miles of untracked beaches there. This was my first glimpses of the beach from the plane.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Lots of snow on the beach coming in but warm air followed. It made the ocean come alive with the fresh odors of the beach.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

My plan was to surf when I got here and I brought my dry suit gloves, and hat to keep me somewhat warm. I planned on waves around 3 to 5 feet tall. This is my first view of wave height in a place called the 'bone yard'. AND THIS was on the inside of the bay!

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

The fishing harbor was nice and quiet and did not show the chaos that I would find out on the beach. Yakutat was a small town full of wonderful people.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

On my way out to the beach I was fortunate to meet the Trumpeter Swans. Glancing down below the bridge were silver salmon piling up for the swim up river. Kind of late but I guess normal for here.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Arriving at the beach was a roar. There was a winter high tide that floated the logs along the beach and made a beach comber's dream. The glass balls have been few and far between but this high tide would loosen the logs and send a few to be found.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

There were lots of animals on the beach. "Nessie" herself was visiting from Loch Ness, Bullwinkle too braved his face, a wolf ran by and the other 2, I will let you decide what you see.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

As I walked alone for miles of beach I had the feeling that I was being watched by someone or something

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Great pics. Did you surf?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

No way the Waves out at the surf line were over 25' and too chaotic. I haven't surfed for over 30 years. I wanted just to do the easy stuff to get back in shape.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

A wise decision I'm thinking. LOL You see the most beautiful sites in your travels.

New York, NY

I love hiking. Hiking on the beach sounds so great. With the fluctuating weather in my area I am afraid to have my family go out in the cold this time of year for a hiking excursion.

With the H1N1 scare I have been taking extra precautions to protect my family. Keeping my hands clean and bundling up are a must. I also ran across Triaminic's Cold and Flu Tracker at my job (we do some of their marketing). It is a handy little tool designed to help make people aware of the threatening viruses in your community. I find it very useful, having children it helps to be aware. What do you think of the tool?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

You Re asking the wrong person. I am exposed to every virus, bacteria, and fungus every dY and almost never get sick. So I don't even fear H1N1 or anthrax because that too I have been exposed to.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.