Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

SUNFLOWERS for 2010 - whose here?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

We came from the here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/994963/#new

So! Whose here? Whatcha doing?

(_)?

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

I 'm here
My favorite sunflower photo

Thumbnail by gardengus
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

There is a huge field of sunnies on the way to the cabin and every time I pass them I think we should stop and take a photo, but never have yet.
Two weeks ago when we went they were all still standing straight and tall with black faces looking at the ground. What a sight!
I just can't get over they are still standing as mine collapsed long ago.

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Here are a few pictures of my fav Sunflowers grown here in Florida. This is "Sunzilla"

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Sunflower "Green Heart"

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Sunflower "Gloriosa Polyheaded"

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Sunflower "Tarahumara"

Thumbnail by amorecuore

"Mahogany Bicolor"

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Sunflower "Titan"

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Sunflower "The Joker"

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Some of the others I like are: "Evening Sun", "Earthwalker", "Ring Of Fire", "Velvet Queen", "Chianti", "Starburst Aura", "Sundown".

Jon

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

Wow those are beautiful, do you save seeds or let the birds have a free for all?

Thanks. Neither. I'm very bad. As soon as they fade/die back a bit, I'm yanking them out and planting new ones. I don't plant as many in the winter. They end up shorter with smaller blooms because the daylight hours are short right now.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I have but on ething to say..."Squirrels"...lots and lots of "Squirrels" and the lil beggars won't let me have sunflowers.

I would love to do Jade,Soraya,Red Sun and Apricot Twist. Did The Joker and Ring of Fire ....like those really well and they re-sewed themselfs a few times in the veggie garden.

The squirrels are a pain in the butt down here also. I have to start most of my Sunflowers in containers inside the pool screening and then transplant once they are a couple inches tall. If I direct sew the seeds I'll go outside, the next day, and see sunflower seed shells laying on the ground. It's more work for me, but the only option I have if I want Sunflowers.

I like "Red Sun" and "Soraya". I've planted "Jade" and "Apricot Twist" a couple of times, but found them a little disappointing. The blooms were on the small side and the colors were not what I expected. I just didn't see any green in "Jade". It was a light yellow.

Jon

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I tried Sunspot two years in a row. Didn't do very well for me. Still have a package left so I'll try one more time next year.

Never had a problem w/ tree rats bothering my seeds planted or seedlings...they waited until I was letting the heads dry on the plants. Nothing I did...flash tape,whirly gigs on the fence scared them. I even tried tying bags and sheer material over the heads but they'd just chew thur the stem below the ties,toted the whole thing off and eat them at their leisure.

Now I get it. Those Sunflower heads drying out would be squirrel magnets. My problem here, in my neighborhood, is that the squirrels associate the scent of humans hands as a source for food. I have a neighbor who feeds peanuts to the squirrels in his driveway every morning. It "literally" drives me "nuts" as I dig up peanut shells all the time. He has them so domesticated that one of the squirrels lets my neighbor pet him. I've seen it with my own eyes!!! Even though I bury the seeds when I direct sew, almost every single one of them gets dug up within a day or two. It's like the squirrels are watching me and getting ready for their meal. LOL

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Well,I use to have pet squirrels that lived in the house with until they reached maturity then I let them loose in the yard....must be their dang kinfolk coming back for hand outs.

Lay a piece of hardware/rabbit wire over your newly sewn SF seeds before you cover them.

Have neighbors that have deer feeders in their yards and that's one of the reasons I gave up on having a veggie garden.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Deer feeders? Aint baiting or even feeding deer in feeders or even otherwise illegal? I know it is in some areas...

I dont have a problem with either the 4 legged squarrels or the quad legged deers....but the birds go zonkers in mine. Especially the finches. I rarely see a squarrel and never have seen a deer in, near or by the patch. The bees love them and that is one reason we grow them is for the bees. The bees are getting to dang rare.

I broad cast sow a huge patch all sizes and kinds for cutting flowers.

There is a town called Onley that prides themselves on their albino squarrel population and in fact every one is encouraged to feed them.
They protect them there...! Go figure, a neighborhood just fer squarrels! Gotta be white ones though. Towns got Squarrel crossing signs! Silly squarrels probably run around with picket signs going dont hit me! LOL!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Squarrel? I now do so elect you for a Hillbilly Oscar for best southern drawl from a yankee...yer award well arrive in the mail soon....LOL

They're not baiting the deer,they just like to watch them and P.O. folks around them trying to raise a vegetable garden.

P

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Muuwah? ......a he-bully Ozcar???

*blusssh*

Ya'll got me kinda lok-n pank heyar!

I new da thar huked on fawn-ex wood be a really
ed-gee-kashun! Shur nuff hepped me in my texan!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

them thar fightin' werds...ain't no stankin' Texians in here

Say what??? I get sooo lost when you start typing in that Southern stuff. I have to read it about 10 times to get a clue. We don't have any Southerners in South Florida.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Yuh-Huh,do too have southerners in Florida...ya'll's the south too.

That's the reason I made BB honorary Hillbilly...even I don't understand her when she gets to talking southern and ...Honey,I'm just two steps down from Granny Clampett...without the millons from Texas tea

Nah, we don't have em here. The South ends in Orlando. Once you get South of Orlando, its all us transplanted Yankees down here. I almost never hear anyone speaking Southern down here. It's either Yankee English or hablo espanol.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

No hablo espenol even though we have friends that speak mostly spanish. The wife worked w/ me when I had my flowerbed maintance/lanscaping business and we communicated thur pointing and sign language.The husband and youngest son have to be translators...the son having picked up english quicker than the dad and sounds dang near american.I have to listen to the Dad real hard to understand him even then I still have to say"Luis,I didn't understand a d*** thing you just said". He usually just laughes and says"Momma you so locco"

Kids always pick up a second language faster. We have tons of people down here who speak perfect English, with do detectable accent, and then just flip it right into Spanish. There are areas in South Florida, where the street signs are in Spanish.

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

I learned English when I was nine and I have a southern accent. Most people can't tell when they are talking to me on the phone.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Thats texan not Texan!!! U no da ting u do on da fon....

Momma tu es muy loco en la cabesa!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Jon, you have to read it aloud then it all makes sense. LOL!

If you keep read it silently, it will drive ya cwazy!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Jon, you have to read it aloud then it all makes sense. LOL!

If you keep read it silently, it will drive ya cwazy!

Since Patty is half way there, she uner stands whar ima coming from!

NOw, where did that guy on the loofa thread go? He was trying ta sell me some real estate...

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh and Jon, u 2 du 2 got Texans in FLA...and if-n anyone can burcher the inglish language the best it b his broder.

I have come to the fine unerstanding that GW was not burcher-n the language, he was jess TEX-n! LOL!

Oh I know blossom. I have to talk to myself to understand what you're typing. About the only real Southern things I have are my Ole Miss (Univ Of Mississippi) T Shirts. LOL

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

NOW THATS
RE-YAD
NEK

AND A TRUCK TO DIE FOR

That is a CHEVY aint it?

Sumbuddy hand me my glasses!!!

Poor guy though.. a man wuthout his dogs... tarrible thang....

I reckon it's a Chevy. Yes, it is soooo Redneck (I like it). I get lots of laughs and comments when I wear that thing.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Tell me its a 5 winder 57

PLEZ!

or close to it! That thar re-yad color is whats tossing me!

Its kinda like this ayar Belgain Ozenda Orange.. it looks redneck yeller to me.

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Patty, dija heyar that, Jon said "I reckon"... LOL!! Waaaay ta go Yank!

LOL. Demma flower sure is purdy. I dint know there were reyadneck colors.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

BB,

Did you just say I needed to be in the nuthouse?

Way ta go Jon!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I reckon!

no no no no cant put a locco mamma in a peanut jar!

ANd yes Jon, there are re-yad nek colures!!! I reckon, jes ax Patty about pank!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.