Photo by Melody

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: SUNFLOWERS for 2010 - whose here?

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 129, Views: 365
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 19, 2009
5:35 PM

Post #7289956

We came from the here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/994963/#new

So! Whose here? Whatcha doing?

(_)?

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

November 19, 2009
5:47 PM

Post #7289977

I 'm here
My favorite sunflower photo

Thumbnail by gardengus

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

November 19, 2009
6:03 PM

Post #7290022

There is a huge field of sunnies on the way to the cabin and every time I pass them I think we should stop and take a photo, but never have yet.
Two weeks ago when we went they were all still standing straight and tall with black faces looking at the ground. What a sight!
I just can't get over they are still standing as mine collapsed long ago.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 19, 2009
7:42 PM

Post #7290288

Here are a few pictures of my fav Sunflowers grown here in Florida. This is "Sunzilla"

Thumbnail by amorecuore

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 19, 2009
7:43 PM

Post #7290292

Sunflower "Green Heart"

Thumbnail by amorecuore

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 19, 2009
7:44 PM

Post #7290293

Sunflower "Gloriosa Polyheaded"

Thumbnail by amorecuore

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 19, 2009

Post #7290294

Sunflower "Tarahumara"

Thumbnail by amorecuore

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 19, 2009
7:46 PM

Post #7290299

"Mahogany Bicolor"

Thumbnail by amorecuore

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 19, 2009
7:46 PM

Post #7290302

Sunflower "Titan"

Thumbnail by amorecuore

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 19, 2009
7:47 PM

Post #7290307

Sunflower "The Joker"

Thumbnail by amorecuore

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 19, 2009
7:49 PM

Post #7290316

Some of the others I like are: "Evening Sun", "Earthwalker", "Ring Of Fire", "Velvet Queen", "Chianti", "Starburst Aura", "Sundown".

Jon
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

November 19, 2009
8:06 PM

Post #7290348

Wow those are beautiful, do you save seeds or let the birds have a free for all?
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 19, 2009
8:15 PM

Post #7290368

Thanks. Neither. I'm very bad. As soon as they fade/die back a bit, I'm yanking them out and planting new ones. I don't plant as many in the winter. They end up shorter with smaller blooms because the daylight hours are short right now.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2009
11:35 AM

Post #7299009

I have but on ething to say..."Squirrels"...lots and lots of "Squirrels" and the lil beggars won't let me have sunflowers.

I would love to do Jade,Soraya,Red Sun and Apricot Twist. Did The Joker and Ring of Fire ...like those really well and they re-sewed themselfs a few times in the veggie garden.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 22, 2009
3:18 PM

Post #7299466

The squirrels are a pain in the butt down here also. I have to start most of my Sunflowers in containers inside the pool screening and then transplant once they are a couple inches tall. If I direct sew the seeds I'll go outside, the next day, and see sunflower seed shells laying on the ground. It's more work for me, but the only option I have if I want Sunflowers.

I like "Red Sun" and "Soraya". I've planted "Jade" and "Apricot Twist" a couple of times, but found them a little disappointing. The blooms were on the small side and the colors were not what I expected. I just didn't see any green in "Jade". It was a light yellow.

Jon
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2009
3:30 PM

Post #7299520

I tried Sunspot two years in a row. Didn't do very well for me. Still have a package left so I'll try one more time next year.

Never had a problem w/ tree rats bothering my seeds planted or seedlings...they waited until I was letting the heads dry on the plants. Nothing I did...flash tape,whirly gigs on the fence scared them. I even tried tying bags and sheer material over the heads but they'd just chew thur the stem below the ties,toted the whole thing off and eat them at their leisure.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 22, 2009
3:58 PM

Post #7299611

Now I get it. Those Sunflower heads drying out would be squirrel magnets. My problem here, in my neighborhood, is that the squirrels associate the scent of humans hands as a source for food. I have a neighbor who feeds peanuts to the squirrels in his driveway every morning. It "literally" drives me "nuts" as I dig up peanut shells all the time. He has them so domesticated that one of the squirrels lets my neighbor pet him. I've seen it with my own eyes!!! Even though I bury the seeds when I direct sew, almost every single one of them gets dug up within a day or two. It's like the squirrels are watching me and getting ready for their meal. LOL
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2009
4:45 PM

Post #7299763

Well,I use to have pet squirrels that lived in the house with until they reached maturity then I let them loose in the yard...must be their dang kinfolk coming back for hand outs.

Lay a piece of hardware/rabbit wire over your newly sewn SF seeds before you cover them.

Have neighbors that have deer feeders in their yards and that's one of the reasons I gave up on having a veggie garden.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 22, 2009
5:49 PM

Post #7299953

Deer feeders? Aint baiting or even feeding deer in feeders or even otherwise illegal? I know it is in some areas...

I dont have a problem with either the 4 legged squarrels or the quad legged deers...but the birds go zonkers in mine. Especially the finches. I rarely see a squarrel and never have seen a deer in, near or by the patch. The bees love them and that is one reason we grow them is for the bees. The bees are getting to dang rare.

I broad cast sow a huge patch all sizes and kinds for cutting flowers.

There is a town called Onley that prides themselves on their albino squarrel population and in fact every one is encouraged to feed them.
They protect them there...! Go figure, a neighborhood just fer squarrels! Gotta be white ones though. Towns got Squarrel crossing signs! Silly squarrels probably run around with picket signs going dont hit me! LOL!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2009
6:05 PM

Post #7300001

Squarrel? I now do so elect you for a Hillbilly Oscar for best southern drawl from a yankee...yer award well arrive in the mail soon...LOL

They're not baiting the deer,they just like to watch them and P.O. folks around them trying to raise a vegetable garden.

P
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 22, 2009
6:17 PM

Post #7300035

Muuwah? ...a he-bully Ozcar???

*blusssh*

Ya'll got me kinda lok-n pank heyar!

I new da thar huked on fawn-ex wood be a really
ed-gee-kashun! Shur nuff hepped me in my texan!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2009
7:11 PM

Post #7300185

them thar fightin' werds...ain't no stankin' Texians in here
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 22, 2009
7:17 PM

Post #7300205

Say what??? I get sooo lost when you start typing in that Southern stuff. I have to read it about 10 times to get a clue. We don't have any Southerners in South Florida.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2009
7:28 PM

Post #7300225

Yuh-Huh,do too have southerners in Florida...ya'll's the south too.

That's the reason I made BB honorary Hillbilly...even I don't understand her when she gets to talking southern and ...Honey,I'm just two steps down from Granny Clampett...without the millons from Texas tea
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 22, 2009
7:38 PM

Post #7300253

Nah, we don't have em here. The South ends in Orlando. Once you get South of Orlando, its all us transplanted Yankees down here. I almost never hear anyone speaking Southern down here. It's either Yankee English or hablo espanol.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2009

Post #7300268

No hablo espenol even though we have friends that speak mostly spanish. The wife worked w/ me when I had my flowerbed maintance/lanscaping business and we communicated thur pointing and sign language.The husband and youngest son have to be translators...the son having picked up english quicker than the dad and sounds dang near american.I have to listen to the Dad real hard to understand him even then I still have to say"Luis,I didn't understand a d*** thing you just said". He usually just laughes and says"Momma you so locco"
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 22, 2009
7:54 PM

Post #7300301

Kids always pick up a second language faster. We have tons of people down here who speak perfect English, with do detectable accent, and then just flip it right into Spanish. There are areas in South Florida, where the street signs are in Spanish.
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2009
11:27 PM

Post #7300881

I learned English when I was nine and I have a southern accent. Most people can't tell when they are talking to me on the phone.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2009
12:05 AM

Post #7300996

Thats texan not Texan!!! U no da ting u do on da fon...

Momma tu es muy loco en la cabesa!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2009
12:40 AM

Post #7301094

Jon, you have to read it aloud then it all makes sense. LOL!

If you keep read it silently, it will drive ya cwazy!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2009
12:42 AM

Post #7301109

Jon, you have to read it aloud then it all makes sense. LOL!

If you keep read it silently, it will drive ya cwazy!

Since Patty is half way there, she uner stands whar ima coming from!

NOw, where did that guy on the loofa thread go? He was trying ta sell me some real estate...
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2009
12:48 AM

Post #7301126

Oh and Jon, u 2 du 2 got Texans in FLA...and if-n anyone can burcher the inglish language the best it b his broder.

I have come to the fine unerstanding that GW was not burcher-n the language, he was jess TEX-n! LOL!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 23, 2009
2:10 AM

Post #7301406

Oh I know blossom. I have to talk to myself to understand what you're typing. About the only real Southern things I have are my Ole Miss (Univ Of Mississippi) T Shirts. LOL

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2009
2:20 AM

Post #7301457

NOW THATS
RE-YAD
NEK

AND A TRUCK TO DIE FOR

That is a CHEVY aint it?

Sumbuddy hand me my glasses!!!

Poor guy though.. a man wuthout his dogs... tarrible thang...

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 23, 2009
2:25 AM

Post #7301486

I reckon it's a Chevy. Yes, it is soooo Redneck (I like it). I get lots of laughs and comments when I wear that thing.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2009
2:26 AM

Post #7301492

Tell me its a 5 winder 57

PLEZ!

or close to it! That thar re-yad color is whats tossing me!

Its kinda like this ayar Belgain Ozenda Orange.. it looks redneck yeller to me.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2009
2:37 AM

Post #7301528

Patty, dija heyar that, Jon said "I reckon"... LOL!! Waaaay ta go Yank!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 23, 2009
2:48 AM

Post #7301557

LOL. Demma flower sure is purdy. I dint know there were reyadneck colors.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 23, 2009
3:16 PM

Post #7302108

BB,

Did you just say I needed to be in the nuthouse?

Way ta go Jon!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2009
3:25 PM

Post #7302141

I reckon!

no no no no cant put a locco mamma in a peanut jar!

ANd yes Jon, there are re-yad nek colures!!! I reckon, jes ax Patty about pank!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 23, 2009
4:49 PM

Post #7302507

Is lavender kind of rednecky also? I have a feeling it might be.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2009
5:51 PM

Post #7302729

Only if da men wear nylons in hunting season! LOL!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 23, 2009
6:10 PM

Post #7302789

I'm not touching that one. Only thing we get down here is tourists wearing white socks with sandals. Very bizarre.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2009
6:37 PM

Post #7302919

oooooOh NOW thats just down right GA_ROSS! Especially with lavender sandals.. and most of all with white socks on Labor day! Its just dispicable to hide all that orange toenail polish unnerneath!

I mean come on now, lavender and Ozenda orange, thats classy, but that other stuff... UGH!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 26, 2009
2:38 PM

Post #7311391

Well, meanwhile back at the ranch.. trying to look at seed catalogs and oh my,

www.VermontBean.com

has a super rainbow selection of sunnies!

How I ever got on their list is beyond me, but oh so glad!

They have:

Soraya - deep orange
Red Sun - red
Jade - light green (NEATO!!!)
Apricot Twist - white and yellow petaled (Double Neato!!)
Moulin Rouge - burgandys
Razzmatazz - rainbow of color
Bohemian Rhapsody - rainbow of color
Double Dandy - yellow orange
Summer SUnset - rainbow of color
And more!

Oh DROOOOL!

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 26, 2009
3:00 PM

Post #7311443

Hiya Blossom. There must be at least 100 varieties of short, tall, and mixtures of Sunflowers. I'm guessing I've tried at least 50 different one in the past couple of years. Have one box of seed packs that are just Sunflowers. Here's Sunflower "The Joker" blooms from this morning.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 26, 2009
3:12 PM

Post #7311473

I find myself with a sweet tooth so I'm going to do a chocolate bed next year and hope to find a short or dwarf sunflower ina "Chocolate" color

I already have:
Iris "Hot Chocolate"
Daylily "Chocolate Kiss"(my own OP)
Purple Smoke Bush that a smokey chocolate bronze color
Lorapetalum in simular color as smoke bush
Chocolate akeba vine seeds sewn and hopefully will sprout next spring
Nicotiana "Hot Chocolate" seeds
Digitalis"Milk Chocolate"seeds and plants
Penstemon "Chocolate Drop"seeds
Silene "Purple Prince"plants
MG "Chocolate"seeds
Eupatorium "Chocolate"seeds

Just purchased seeds:
Nicotiana"Chocolate Smoke"
Delphiniums"Kissed by Chocolate"
Aquilegia "Single Black"(have a bed that goes from sun into shade)

I do believe I have pepper seeds Black Hungarian and a chocolate jalapeno or might be cayene. Would like to find seeds for mini chocolate sweet bell peppers since we're not doing big veggie gardens this coming spring,I will plant edibles in the flowerbeds and containers so they have to be "prudy"as well as edible.

No telling what else I have and what else I can find that will fit the theme.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 26, 2009
4:01 PM

Post #7311581

Patty. You must must must visit www.chocolateflowerfarm.com. Even if you don't buy from them, you can come up with many other chocolate colored flowers you can add to your "Chocolate Bed". How about some chocolate colored cosmos, hollyhocks, papavers, primulas, salpiglossis, scabiosas, violas, dahlias. They're all there on that website.

Jon
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 26, 2009
4:17 PM

Post #7311602

that's who I just purchased the Chocolate Smoke nicotiana,Delphs. and Aquilgeia from and plant on ordering some plants from them in the spring.

That Chocolate Smoke is to die for. Delphs don't do here but I'm gonna give it the best shot I can.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 26, 2009
4:52 PM

Post #7311670

LOL! Not a calorie in a carload eh Patty! I have some chocolate mint if you want some.. I grow it in baskets...

Happy T-Day all!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 26, 2009
4:55 PM

Post #7311678

I've ordered from them once in the past. It was the chocolate garden seed kit and a chocolate candle. I remember it was nicely packaged. Delphiniums don't work here since it's way out of zone and there's no winter dormancy period. I'm trying to grow Larkspur, from seed, for the first time. Most Larkspur are 180 days to bloom from seed. That wouldn't work here either, so I ended up trying "Imperial Giants" which are supposed to mature in 90 days. So far so good. They've germinated and are growing
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 26, 2009
4:57 PM

Post #7311683

Oh yea forgot to tell ya Patty, I got Chocolate Milk DL here some whars!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 27, 2009
11:07 AM

Post #7313237

I feel ya amore. Lots of beauties I'd love to grow if it wasn't for our humidity.

I gotta try there "chocolate" delphs. As well as d.nudicaule"Fox"(don't hold me on species spelling),d.zalil and c. cardinalis. Probably just putting them on death row but I'm gonna give it a shot. I started a delp.thred on the mid-south forum and someone said they had successfully grown...???...geesh,can't remember the varity now...but planting them in partial shade in a well ammened bed and made sure they were watered properly so stand back I'm going in...LOL.

Larkspurs do really well here...almost to well in some beds.

BB, I've sewn seed for the chocolate foxgloves 2-3 x and finally got some plants. The seem very picky about watering and the dang scale love all the slick leafed digitalis.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 27, 2009
1:24 PM

Post #7313372

Sometimes you can get flowers to work for you, out of zone, if you make some good decisions regarding when and where to plant them. You might as well give it a try Patty and start "small" with just one of two plants of a specific variety. If they work out you can always buy more. If they don't, at least you tried and you're not out much money. I've failed miserably with quite a few out of zone flowers. The few successes, as in Echinacea and Reblooming Bearded Iris, have made it very worth it to me.

There's one Delphinium named "Blue Butterfly" that does work down here. Its a short Japanese Delphinium that can be grown strictly as an annual.

The most chocolatey colored flower I have, would have to be my "Black Voodoo" hibiscus (photo attached). The most chocolatey Sunflowers I've grown would be "Moulin Rouge" and a newer one named "Chocolate" from Johnny's Selected Seeds.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 27, 2009
1:26 PM

Post #7313374

Maybe that hibiscus is more like a "chocolate covered cherry"???? LOL
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 27, 2009
1:49 PM

Post #7313403

Oooo,amore,that's hibiscus is toooo yummy.

I'll look into Johnny's Chocolate sunflower.

I'm about to have a kanipsion fit...I can't find my penstemon Chocolate Drop seeds.

I grow probably 80-85% of my plants from seed. I get them bulk wholesale so I can kill a bunch until I finally have success...LOL

Is it the Chocolate Farm that has that corydalis Chocolate Star? I think it is. I have that on my 2010"Gimme List" although I haven't had much luck with the hybrids. Killed a whole tray of 72 of "Blue Panda" one year. Ouch! That hurt.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 27, 2009
3:52 PM

Post #7313644

Yeah Chocolate Farm has Penstemon Chocolate Drop seeds in their Perennial Chocolate Garden Seed Kit as well as Corydalis "Chocolate Star (as a plant). Penstemon "Chocolate Drop" seeds are also available at Diane's Flower Seeds and Summer Hill Seeds.

I have several brown hibiscus, but Black Voodoo is the most brown. It will be more readily available in 2010.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 27, 2009
4:12 PM

Post #7313685

Um Patty.. that was a DAYLILY called MILK CHOCOLATE! LOL!

Nice hib there Jon!
Gwendalou
Langley, WA
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2009
9:52 PM

Post #7322826

I planted a ton of sunflower seeds this past summer and after a very long time, only 2 came up. But they were both beauts and lasted forever. They were the kind that have multiple flowers on one plant, which I like. I like the ones with just one flower per stem but I like to plant the multiples too and never know which is which. If anyone has good varieties of the multiples to advise me on, let me know so I can be sure to order the right ones!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 30, 2009
11:57 PM

Post #7323283

There are many different kinds of multibranching Sunflowers and some good mixes of multibranching Sunflowers.

Some of my favorite individual varieties are "The Joker", "Strawberry Blonde", "Cinnamon Sun", "Ring Of Fire", "Ruby Eclipse".

There are many mixtures of multibranching sunflowers. Some of the most reliable ones I've tried go by the names "Autumn Beauty", "Pastiche", "Harlequin", "Large Flowered Mix" (from Burpee).

Jon
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 1, 2009
11:19 AM

Post #7324454

I hear ya BB. I still have my little daylily dog I grew from seed and named Chocolate Kisses...or was it Brown Sugar Baby after my DGD? Sent you some fans many years ago. I need to move mine because the shrubs and trees have got too big and shading it too much too bloom.

Sumbody needs to take my cc away frowm me and hide it. I just placed two more orders for "chocolate" seeds
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 1, 2009
2:00 PM

Post #7324726

ooooh RED! Too funny!

Yes, I still have your fans.. I hope they come back next season...

Here is that Milk Chocolate.. I hope it has grown, I just got it last season so might not be big enough to do much with yet but I have you in mind!

Oh and thanks for the Sunnies seed... nice mix!

I just did somethin terrible and ordered more seed catalogs!! hah!

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 1, 2009
6:54 PM

Post #7325501

Never...NEVER too many seed catalogs
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 1, 2009
7:14 PM

Post #7325561

Well right now, I got too many old ones, gotta boot them out and get new ones.. and while I love hoarding them.. time to empty the office, I cant open the door anymore with out an avalanche!

Thanks fer the Autum Beauties and Mammoths! I hope I can get seed off them next year.. this last year was a total diaster in savng sunny seed.

Ok, quit slobbering over the Milk Choclate, or your M wont work...!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 1, 2009
7:16 PM

Post #7325571

M-MM-Mmmmmmm
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 1, 2009
8:25 PM

Post #7325767

Well ok, maybe yer G will hang up! LOL!

So wipe that silly *g* off yer face! Ya'll get a toothache!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2009
4:38 AM

Post #7327310

ok, Im in with some Mexican Sunflowers...well, not yet, but got seed so I can do them in 2010

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 2, 2009
5:06 AM

Post #7327383

Oh yes. I got some of them Tithonia seeds also in the past week or so. Probably gonna wait until spring before I give them a try. I'm a little lacking for spring and summer things to grow down here, so they'll be a good fit.

I'm curious as to how this Tithonia diversifolia (Bolivian Sunflower Tree) is gonna do. I received the plant from Annies Annuals about 3 weeks ago and it's growing quickly. It's supposed to grow to 10-15 feet, in a year, with many 6-7" sunflower type blooms from approximately Nov-April each year. Sounds like a "monster tree".
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 2, 2009
5:08 AM

Post #7327386

I forgot to add that the blooms on "Bolivian Sunflower Tree" are supposed to be fragrant and smell like chocolate!!!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2009
3:14 PM

Post #7328129

Dont tell Patty!

Her M on her keyboard will stick.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 2, 2009
3:30 PM

Post #7328183

Mmmmmm. I think she prefers chocolate colors over chocolate fragrance...perhaps. Here's my "Bolivian Sunflower" baby. I just repotted it, up a size, two weeks ago and the roots are coming out of the bottom already.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 2, 2009
4:17 PM

Post #7328347

Yeah...chocolate colors.

I'm going to do a Neopolitain bed w/ a section of chocolate blending into a red/burgundy/pink then a vanilla/white/silver section.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2009
5:35 PM

Post #7328590

There she goes again.

... pilates time!

Hey Red, Remind me when to start new thread links ok, I keep forgetting about how long you will go.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2009
12:08 AM

Post #7329777

http://www.cataloglink.com/Burpee+Seeds+Catalog?qs=&k=24

catalogs!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 3, 2009
4:07 AM

Post #7330500

Lucky you. That one hasn't come yet. Today I only got one from Annies Annuals.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 3, 2009
11:13 AM

Post #7330863

no new catalogs for *e lately...Danggit!

Yup,I gonna have to stop watching two or three that are just about to long for *y slow dial-up.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2009
2:46 PM

Post #7331228

New link coming... Be back in a short for

SUNFLOWERS for 2010 #2
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2009
3:21 PM

Post #7331325

Ok, its done go here for the new

SUNFLOWERS for 2010#2 - WHOSE IN

link...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1060274/#new

Remind me to link on in the other threads too will ya.. dont want to leave the dialups behind!

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 3, 2009
3:29 PM

Post #7331352

Here's Sunflower "Titan" blooming.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore

DMgardener
(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 4, 2009
2:12 AM

Post #7333250

I just can't count how many Sunnies I will be growing in 2010, + my selections from the species+ some really weird other species of Helianthus

amorecuore, what is Bolivian Sunflower?
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 4, 2009
2:16 AM

Post #7333265

Bolivian Sunflower is also referred to as "tree marigold". It's a tropical treelike plant that can grow to 10-15 feet in a year full of 6-8" sunflower like blooms from approx Sept - Feb/March. The best pictures of it are in the plant files section of this website. Just type in "Bolivian Sunflower" when you are doing a search.

Jon
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 4, 2009
2:40 AM

Post #7333341

Im lost too... someone put coffee in my cocoa.. aaaack!

Some how we got 3 SUNFLOWER threads going! LOL!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 4, 2009
3:09 AM

Post #7333443

Too funny. "Guess what, I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more sunflower". LOL
gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

May 2, 2010
10:19 AM

Post #7757022

I've had Sunflowers blooming for a few weeks, so I'll post these and some more later. I LOVE Sunflowers!

Thumbnail by gardenpom

gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

May 2, 2010
10:20 AM

Post #7757026

2nd shot.

Thumbnail by gardenpom

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 2, 2010
12:32 PM

Post #7757403

Nice photos. I grow them yearround, but not to the extent compared to 2 or 3 years ago. Visiting family in NY State, at the moment, and was at a few nurseries looking at plants and seeds yesterday. I thought I had tried just about every Sunflower out there, but I guess not. Found some seed packs of a few varieties I had never heard of before. Looking forward to trying them out when back in Florida.
DMgardener
(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2010
12:56 PM

Post #7757450

Chianti is still the only one up. I hope I'm not too late in sowing for the 20 other vars., lol.
Pom, I like that 2nd shot! Great angle!

~Daniel
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2010
3:15 PM

Post #7757765

Shoot, i still have some to plant...
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 2, 2010
4:40 PM

Post #7758038

Get em planted. I thought I had seeds for just about all of them until finding some new ones this weekend. At last count, there were seeds for 58 varieties in my Sunflower seed box. Now it's up to 62.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2010
6:55 PM

Post #7758521

got dirt?
gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

May 3, 2010
3:55 AM

Post #7759180

I was trying to find this thread, thought it was in Annuals. I finally gave up and decided to wait till a post showed up again. Here are some of my spring Sunflower pics in a collage.

Thumbnail by gardenpom

gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

May 3, 2010
3:56 AM

Post #7759184

And my favorite pic of Sunflowers so far. Just noticed the link above for the new thread. Sorry.

This message was edited May 3, 2010 7:59 AM

Thumbnail by gardenpom

ameefarm
Vermont
United States

June 15, 2010
5:35 AM

Post #7889976

I am planning to put the sunflower on the game "Plants vs Zoombies''...LOL
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2010
9:22 AM

Post #7890560

NICE!!! Love that big and little shot!

So ok, plants vs Zombies... got link? LOL!

I jjust noticed I got a sunny growing in a hanging basket. I wonder if it will bloom, it actually has a head on it!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 15, 2010
3:06 PM

Post #7891431

Here's a look at Sunflower "Strawberry Blonde' today.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

DMgardener
(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 15, 2010
3:09 PM

Post #7891439

Most of my Sunflowers are Taiyo, mixed selfsowers, and Chianti. I have yet to get Aztec Sun in, needs to be planted!!!

BB, whoever heard of a sunnie in a basket?? Well, I'm growing MG's in baskets so I should not talk, lol.

~Daniel
DMgardener
(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 15, 2010
3:10 PM

Post #7891443

Yum... I planted that one but nothing grew. Can you send it to me? Not really, the pic suffices. Thanks Jon for sharing!

~Daniel
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 15, 2010
3:34 PM

Post #7891491

Grown bunches of dwarf Sunflowers in a container before that looked nice. Just jammed a whole bunch of them in the container. My Strawberry Blonde doesn't have as much "strawberry" it in this year, but its still nice. Others are coming, but in various stages of growth so that they don't all bloom at the same time.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2010
5:13 PM

Post #7891768

Verrry nice Jon.

LOL! The one I got in a basket is a volunteer, must have been a birdie!

The deer decided our sunny patch was a diner this season so dont know if any will bloom. Thats ok though, thats what the sunnies are there for for the wildlife. Just you would think they would wait untio they bloomed! LOL!

Well, it has been primo growing weather! Everythign is growing like weeds including the weeds! Ha!

Got rain up the kazoo today, but oh well, no complaints on that even though they are tlaking 3-5 inches and potential flooding. Like were not used to that stuff. Just can the big winds though, man, we do not need any more toadtwisters.

So ok, Im seeing germ on a few nasties, marigolds, cleomes, allysum, statice, violas, petunias, I cheated and got some white, pink and dark pink impatiens and some really prerry purple vinca, got a really pretty double impaiten in a basket that looks like a peppermint candy, got a couple hanging baskets, polka dot plants, asperagus ferns, licorice plants, blackie sweet potato plants, some varigated thing I dont know what it is , some purple creeper, a couple other misc.

Guess I am back to gardening.. well as I can. I go in spurts.. then I over do, then need a break.. this getting old stuff is fer the birdies.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 15, 2010
5:45 PM

Post #7891830

Nothing wrong with cheating and buying some flowers instead of growing them. I wouldn't call it cheating. I'd call it smart. Last couple of years have decided to only grow from seed things that I'm almost 100% sure I won't find locally. Not likely to grow pansies or petunias from seed anymore, since there are many choices at some point during the winter here. Sometimes they sell dwarf sunflower plants, but not gonna spend $3 for a plant that's gonna bloom for a couple of weeks max. Those will always be grown from seed since they're short lived.

Glad to hear someone's getting rain. June is supposed to be wet here with an average of 8 inches of rain. Maybe an inch total so far this month. Temps are running 5 degrees above normal, which is a lot for here. Feels like temps are 105-110 practically every day and low temps at night are staying at 80 instead of low/mid 70's. Other than that everything is wonderful. LOL

No critter pests here although my brother in Sarasota, FL is having a battle between his Sunflowers and the lime green colored wild parrots. They have been swooping down, like kamikaze pilots, landing on and pecking at his sunflower heads. they completely trashed his last bunch of sunnies either pecking at them or snapping the stems when they land on them. He went to Home Depot and bought 2 large plastic owls and hammered them onto the top of the fence. LOL So far so good.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2010
7:23 PM

Post #7892142

Well, my cheating heart got a deal on some $2 flats for pink petunias, purple vinca, polka dot plants, white with lav eye dianthus, pink, white and dark pink imps, mixed small head marigolds and a couple baskets at $2@ (one was a pretty peppermint double imp, then 2 were combos of chenille plant, lantana, some purple plant I have know idea and some others crammed in and some 25c 3 inch pots that got a nice selection of stuff for making more baskets. the 25cers were asperagus plants, licorace, blackie sweet tater vines, somvarigated creepy thing, some creepy purple plant all that I will have to note what they are on their lables. 18 of those in all. WHat a bargain!

I potted some 35 baskets this morning mixing the pink petunias, vinca, polka dot plants, purpl vincas and the white/lave dianthus, then poked in a couple flats of the dark pink and light pink imps in the cutting garden for border plants and moved around a bunch of pots. I absolutely need to get going and get my tomatoes situated and the zukes and cukes. I think my cukes are where they will be for the summer, they already wrapped their tendrils on the fence so they are gonna stay in the big pots and go for it. I will have to fertilze them.. My Loofas are needing their space to go to too...

I directed sowed the cantalopes,watermelons and punkins to those patches.. they were a wee weedy but in done.. no way we can culitvate them now so what comes comes.

Got out on the prairie and took some more pix...

Hope its not too humid tomorrow so I can do more work outdoors. I think I finally got hte bug to finally get gardening...been a tough start.

Man , now I have a ton of work and we just got a little over an inch of rain, so there goes mowing.

Soo , this gardening stuff, am I now overdoing it? I go in spurts...as I am able!

Heres that sunny in a basket.. go figure, it partnered with some strawberries!

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 15, 2010
7:49 PM

Post #7892211

So in other words... you got a lot of stuff Blossom. Maybe its a Strawberry Blonde Sunflower with the strawberries. They'd get along well I'm sure...like family. LOL

Speaking of dianthus. About 6 weeks ago my Super Raspberry Parfait Dianthus looked like they were dying. I got lazy and just cut them to the ground and covered them over with mulch instead of yanking them out. Would have never guessed those 4 plants would all reemerge and start blooming again like brand new plants.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2010
8:45 PM

Post #7892333

Awesome! Yano, I still have dianthus from last spring that is now gettign going again too.

Where did I put the new pix? Oh yea.. on the Dianthus thread.!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 23, 2010
1:32 PM

Post #7914101

A few Sunflower photos from today. This is "Apricot Twist"

Thumbnail by amorecuore

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 23, 2010
1:33 PM

Post #7914102

Sunflower "Velvet Queen"

Thumbnail by amorecuore

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 23, 2010
1:33 PM

Post #7914104

And this last one is Sunflower "Sunburst Aura"

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2010
3:43 AM

Post #7915683

Jon, those are lovely! I have not been to the sunny patch here for quite some time...with all the rain who knows what lurks out there! LOL!

Im starting to sprout scales and gills...gurgle gurgle!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 24, 2010
6:33 AM

Post #7916001

Hmm, when you go out there to check on them just put a sign saying "Gone Fishin" on the front door.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2010
6:59 AM

Post #7916059

LOL! Well, I snuck out there this AM and got past the lil pond bog...

Hate ta say it but last nites weather was hell, and today its higher water! LOL!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2010
7:19 AM

Post #7916101

Then I was a sneaking off to the prairie...and got attacked by a fun
guy on the manure pile...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2010
7:23 AM

Post #7916110

Got out of that mess, then got attacked by another fungi on a log...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2010
7:43 AM

Post #7916154

The anuther.. and man...them funguys kept coming at me Jon, they were every where!

And I kept snapping at them..

(GO HERE...cuz I was getting really A noid with them...)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1104709/

And while I was tussling with them to try to get their names, it struck!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 24, 2010
11:05 AM

Post #7916670

Gee, maybe you should just stay inside and lock the door. It's too "high risk" outside with the fungi and high water. Turn around, don't drown.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2010
12:18 PM

Post #7916909

But Jon, I cant, I made it to the sunny bed and...EUREKA!

Up through the ground came a bbbbbbunch of...

Awww crud, this is gonna get me canned..

a bunch of dang BBBBLACK . (__-__-__) sunflowers...

NO KIDDING, thats the name.

And I planted a ton of them and they are every where...

Give ya a hint second word sounds like EARL!

So anyways, thar she be...shes immature, but give her a bit of time and she willl be a horse of a different color in the center in no time!

(Oh God I am trying soooo hard to not say the O word!)

Ok, moving on...

The Giants out there that I had got topped of by deer... Yup, ate the heads clean off. SO I do not know if there will be any of them left. Its hard telling because there is a patch that looks like the big ones, but they are no taller than the Black - - - ones. So the patch can go either way since the seeds was mixed up a bit.

(I best go back to my corner in the GARAGE.. I hear theres some good eating thar!)

And we dint think the burd seed wood germ! HAH!

GardenWren
Canton, OH

July 9, 2010
7:02 AM

Post #7954660

This from last year's seeds... 7' 9"...5 blooms, 7 buds to go

Thumbnail by GardenWren

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2010
6:47 AM

Post #7957043

its been pretty dry here and the sunny patch is a tad wilted, but the birds are having a field day with our little patch. Im glad they are starting to enjoy them. The finches are so beautiful and we get some blue birds and orieles out there too so it is nice to see the pretty birds.

I think I will do the Black Earl ones again next year..
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 11, 2010
7:30 PM

Post #7961336

We have the "Beach Sunflowers" down here. They're like a low growing ground cover that grows in the sand with 2-3 inch sunflower like blooms...mostly year round. Kind of ignored them for years and have now taken a liking to them.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2010
1:35 PM

Post #7963121

I sowed some wild sunflwoers our on the prairie, but dint see any germ.. maybe thay have to scarcify and will show up eventually...
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2010
10:24 AM

Post #7965258

ok... the infamous sunny in a hanging basket...guys I need to put a cap on my strawberry baskets to keep the burds from doing this to me... their littering seeds every where! They will be popping up next season I am sure.

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 13, 2010
10:55 AM

Post #7965329

LOL Stop complaining and enjoy the view. The birds are only trying to help you out.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2010
11:12 AM

Post #7965374

LOL! AWWWWWhose complaining! I was bragging! LOL! ...leave it to ole BLOSSOM here to teach the burds about gardening!

Well, im just thinking about that ceee-meant pond of yours...

So, got anything new growing on that thing? Jaws aint messing with the skimmer is he? Hate ta sea the pour feller with his tail in a bunch!

I think Im gonna head out to the raddish patch now...Isaw some carrots there yesterday...maybe I got a few to nibble on.

Later theres food in the GARAGE...
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 13, 2010
12:17 PM

Post #7965540

Things are quiet out by the pool. It's pretty much in between growing seasons right now. Most stuff has been planted and its about 6 weeks before I can start growing things from seed for winter flowers. Just keep a few things out by the pool right now. Late August/early September is when I'm most busy during the year. I've always considered it to be the beginning of the gardening season.

Here's a couple of pics from out by the pool this afternoon. This is Exacum "Navy Star" & white Canterbury Bells.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 13, 2010
12:18 PM

Post #7965542

A "Cantor" Calla Lily plant,

Thumbnail by amorecuore

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 13, 2010
12:19 PM

Post #7965545

A bloom on the red Desert Rose & Hibiscus "Neon Nova" blooming today. It's getting dark and the thunder and lightning is beginning to make some noise. Typical summer afternoon in South Florida.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 13, 2010
12:21 PM

Post #7965550

And here's the Vinca "Pacifica Really Red" seedlings blooming and spreading, out front under a palm tree. During the winter it was all pansies under the palm tree.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2010
12:52 PM

Post #7965606

Beautiful Jon. I especially love the Calla. I have one calla and its not yet to bloom stage but is so far looking pretty good.

I love the blue. Canterbury bells have been a difficulty here.

Love that palm too.

I was just out mowing and that figures.. it started to rain. My butt hits the desk and the sun is back out. The weather is taunting me and I have a lot of mowing to do.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 13, 2010
1:51 PM

Post #7965727

This is the first year I've had some calla lilies blooming since their initial blooming year. The second year I just got foliage. This year finally seeing some blooms again. This area behind the pool I pulled out the hibiscus to give me some empty space to work with. Taking my sweet time filling it in with things. Here's some different colors/varieties of Echinacea there this afternoon.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 13, 2010
1:52 PM

Post #7965731

And a Dahlia named "Winsome" that I added. Planted the tuber in April...I think.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 13, 2010
1:54 PM

Post #7965733

And a wimpy thunderstorm rolling in from The Everglades this afternoon. If this was gonna be a strong one the sky would be black.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2010
3:44 PM

Post #7966128

Well, it rained just enough to get everything damp and not mowable. Just a tease.

I need to get back outdoors though, the animals are hollering feed me. Rain or shine some critter around here is hungry.

I think I will check my glads to see if anymore popped open.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America