-
AuthorContent
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

November 20, 2009
3:18 AM

Post #7291662

Just took this at dawn with my coolpix and this came out.
Weird.

Thumbnail by NEILMUIR1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2009
9:18 PM

Post #7293607

It looks like blur. Did you have your camera on a tripod? I see your shutter speed was 2/3 of a second - much too slow for handheld.

You do get some neat effects with it though. Here is one I did recently - normally I would delete blurry pictures but I liked the effect of this one.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

November 20, 2009
10:03 PM

Post #7293722

It does not have shutter speeds it is a point and shoot Nikon.
Neil.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2009
10:40 PM

Post #7293869

Every camera has shutter speeds.
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

November 20, 2009
11:57 PM

Post #7294168

I do not know anything about that it has auto on it, which I do not touch, hasn't got anything else as it is quite old.
You aim it and push the button.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 21, 2009
12:45 AM

Post #7294314

I know what you mean. When it is getting dark you should put the camera on a solid support and use the self timer if it has one.
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

November 21, 2009
7:40 AM

Post #7295531

I have since given the Nikon to the wife as she likes it simplicity!
My best friend owns a lot of camera shops in the UK, they run a 14 day return policy.
In that you can try a camera for 14 days if you do not like it and bring it back as new, you can have your money back or try a different one.
A customer wanted a Cannon EOS 450D, which I do believe you call a Rebel in America.
He tried it for his 14 day trial and brought it back saying he did not like it and he wanted his money back. The problem was he had thrown (he claims), the box, manual, computer CD and cables away! So they refused to give him all of his money back as they cannot sell it even secondhand, so he lost a lot of money on it.
My friend comes up to London once a month as he has three shops here, so he stays with us. He came up and produced in a lovely case the said camera with the computer leads and gave it to me for nothing. Plus two spare brand new batteries.
The shop can write it off claiming it was damaged, which to them it was as it did not have all the original equipment with it.
I did not need the software as my Apple Mac's software runs it quite easily, so I am quite pleased with it. It came with the standard 18-55mm lens, but since then my friend on his next monthly visit not only brought me the manual on a CD, but a 100mm macro lens.
I did mention it on the camera forum, but was told it was just an entry level Cannon, and a 18-55mm lens was not much.
However I have never had an SLR and I am very happy with it, especially for nothing!
Regards.
Neil.

Thumbnail by NEILMUIR1

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 21, 2009
11:40 AM

Post #7295632

Entry level cameras are usually how we all get started. I doubt even a pro started with a pro camera. And how many of those naysayers got the deal you got?

Here is another blurry picture that I kept. The shutter speed was 1/2 a second and my wife was probably driving 30 to 40 mph. I like the feel of motion that this portrays.

This message was edited Nov 21, 2009 6:42 AM

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

November 21, 2009
12:16 PM

Post #7295652

Thank you for your comments, I was a bit taken aback by some of the comments. But the I read in my Macbook that the EOS 450D was in fact voted as the best entry level camera their was for a Mac!
Although I know a lot of people will say something else; but I am not concerned for I love this Cannon, to have a point and shoot 6 year old little Nikon, which was good, then to suddenly get a new SLR for nothing to me is amazing. I know my friend could not sell it in his shop and the bloke must have lost a lot of money fro throwing things away, but to me this thing is amazing.
I am not a pro nor do I want to be, I just like to take some pictures and this does it fine.
To be honest with you, before I even tried it I was a bit nervous of it. Then my friend just said this is this and that does that, but there was still a lot I did not know or indeed remember.
Now with the manual I understand it a lot better, things like video and other buttons I did not know what to do with.
People will laugh, but from a point and shoot to this was a little daunting. Although you can tell it to do everything Automatically, you also can learn to do it manually, but I have not got that quite right yet!
Stiil it works and I know most of it now. Plus as you say the knockers did not get a deal on it like I did, ie nothing!
Regards.
Neil.
Ps my nephew Alfie with his new shirt when I was trying the camera out!

Thumbnail by NEILMUIR1

rucky
Huffman, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2009
12:53 PM

Post #7295698

Hey Neil hello again I am an entry level photo buff also and recently before I retired I wanted a good camera and I bought a Sony SLR and it takes great pictures but it has so many gadgets that I am kinda overwhelmed so when I have time I go to the sony websight and they have an on line course that help in figureing out how to use it ( I use the Auto feature mostly too) . I'll bet Cannon must have the same thing on there websight I don't want to be a pro either but it would be nice to know how to operate it properly...Still raining I hope the lake stays where it is...Your nephew is a cute kid I like his shirt he's lucky his uncle can show him how to work that dirt and cook too...Ron
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

November 21, 2009
1:11 PM

Post #7295719

He is into driving his little tractor on my friends farm, and was into shooting with me until I did my ankle in.
He knows how to do a rabbit, and it does not bother him at all, which is not bad as he is just seven.
Soon as I am well enough, I might put him onto something bigger!
He loves cooking and spends a lot of time here, has his own room and everything. He has three sisters so he prefers to be on his own with me, not girlie things as he calls them.
Cheeky little sod though, so you have to watch him a bit!
Regards.
Neil.
rucky
Huffman, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2009
1:20 PM

Post #7295741

This is a picture I took in the spring with the Sony DSLR I was experimenting trying to highlight the flower and dull the background a little. Its a Columbine volenteer that came up in a pot and surprised us.

Thumbnail by rucky

NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

November 21, 2009
1:27 PM

Post #7295761

Nice, here is one of my early ones experimenting as well.
Regards.
Neil.

Thumbnail by NEILMUIR1

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 21, 2009
1:38 PM

Post #7295785

I know what you mean about snide remarks but I bet they didn't start with an ultimate camera either.

My first digital camera was nine years ago and was a Kodak 3MP 2x optical zoom and cost $800. I thought digital cameras back then were just toys but I never shot film after that. I didn't have muh control with it but the instant gratification was enough to convert me. After that camera I have had two prosumer cameras (Nikon and Kodak), a compact Canon (love it for the small size), and two Canon DSLRs. They change so rapidly any more it is like buying computers. I'm ready to get the Canon 5D or 7D now.

As for learning the camera start simple and then start learning all the controls. The manual is a good place to start. If you don't have that, you can download one (I downloaded one for my dad since I lost the manual on the Kokak prosumer I gave him). Buy a book geared to your camera - it might give you more ideas than the manual does. Photo magazines and forums (not DG forum) will give you some good tips as well. And most of all - experiment, review, critique, and have fun.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

November 21, 2009
3:37 PM

Post #7296063

I really do not take any notice of them, as I worked my way up to the top in Horticulture, and in becoming a Chef, so I have nothing to prove.
Saying magazines, help, ideas etc, there is a digital camera club that is just around the corner from me, it is only cheap to go once a week and I was intending to go as the man who teaches things there is a lecturer on photography at Greenwich University. However I can't make it at the moment as I broke my ankle.
I also believe in what you are happy with, not a lot of other people, saying that is wrong or that is right!
I hate modern art, but some people like it.
Here is a picture I took in my garden with my little Nikon, and I like it!
Regards fro a wet London.
Neil.

This message was edited Nov 21, 2009 11:38 AM

Thumbnail by NEILMUIR1

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 21, 2009
3:45 PM

Post #7296088

I've had some pretty good pictures even from the supposedly "cheap" cameras. My Nikon (my second digital camera) was pretty good until the sensor went belly up but I do like DSLR so much better. I think that the Nikon went bad swayed me going to Canon when I bought my first DSLR.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

November 21, 2009
4:46 PM

Post #7296293

That is a lovely picture, very nice indeed. I will get there one day, with a lot of practice.
It is like computers you just get one and it is out of date, instantly. Cambridge University did a test with computers it was quite interesting; for with all the computers they found that even the top people only used 21 % of the power of a good computer, this dropped to a lot less for the not so computer gifted, then they gave the same people the latest computers and it slowed the people down and the results were no better. Simply because the computer may have more power better specs, the human element could not use it.
Some people are gadget mad and think that they must have the latest fastest thing on the planet, but as proved canthey use it?
I use iMac 21.5 inch which has 4 Gb of Ram a 500 gb internal hard drive and a one tetrabyte external hard drive, plus some flash video card.
Now my friend is telling me to get the latest 27" iMac, what for, this thing is fast enough with Snow Leopard as it is!
I believe it is also the same with cameras, for youcould have the most expensive camera in the world, but if you put somone behind it who does not know what they are doing, a point and shoot will beat it!
Regards.
Neil.
ps after the snow I took the covering of my tree fern thinking it was dead, to my surpris e I found this, so I simply call it the Dawn of Time.
One of the oldest plants in the world coming back to life.

Thumbnail by NEILMUIR1

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 21, 2009
6:05 PM

Post #7296588

I tweaked that picture with Photoshop Elements.

At a certain point it is advantageous to upgrade computers to make use of the new technologies and quit repairing old computers. Kind of like old cars. That applies to cameras too.

I recycled an old printer a week ago because the part that held the ink cartridge in place broke and no parts are made to repair this dollar part. We bought a new printer (wireless) with scanner and memory card reader for around $100. The ink cartridge replacements are over $60 though. That is the way business is done now. When a small part wears out, just throw the whole thing out.

As for computer users, it is no longer in the realm of scientists and engineers (due to low prices, most everyone can afford one). We would be hard pressed to go without it now - kind of like cell phones. To think less than 20 years ago neither was readily available let alone affordable. A computer after all is just another tool at our disposal. It seems like the new faster computers appear slower due to the bloat of bells and whistles with the new software. Some software is so poorly written that it takes a super fast computer to make it barely acceptable. I wonder why the software companies can't go back to the drawing table and see if they can speed up some of their routines and algorithms.

And although we may not use but a small percentage of CPU usage, the same is true of the brain. I'd rather have a computer that has lots of idle time than one that is taxed 100% of the time else it might make typing in to DG very difficult which just wouldn't do.

There are artists in the photo world that can make excellent pictures with a phone camera (they have a gift of seeing something that most of us don't). That doesn't mean that everyone can't at least make decent photos with a good camera (basic or super duper). It just takes time and practice to improve.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

November 21, 2009
6:20 PM

Post #7296629

I do agree with you, that is why I like Macs, they issued Snow Leopard, so I thought more bells and whistles. I was wrong for they listened to us and just fine tuned everything making it run really fast with no difference, to what the user knows. Just the operating system.
I too have seen some lovely photos taken from a mobile phone, must be gifted, for I have enough trouble even using the Phone.
Regards.
Neil.
A lovely very old church in the middle of the highest non man made place in London, near me.
The church is 1500s.

Thumbnail by NEILMUIR1

rucky
Huffman, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2009
8:24 PM

Post #7296989

Thought I'd join in. My first digital camera was a sony mavica that put the pictures right onto a floppy disk it had a 10x zoom and was 2 mega pixel but it took good pictures. Then I graduate to a small pocket Kodak 6 mega pixel and it took good pictures but it ate batteries I had to carry a pocket full of them if I planed to take a lot of pictures. So I went and bit the bullet and bought a new Sony DSLR 15 megapixel. I am looking for a printer that will print bigger than 8x10 that is the only reason I went with the higher megapixel I want to print bigger pictures. I havn't found one yet but I will now if I can just afford it.

Thumbnail by rucky

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 21, 2009
8:57 PM

Post #7297063

I remember the old Mavica. Floppy disks and all. It seemed like a life time ago. It was shortly after seeing it that I got my first digital.

My wife got the Sony H2 and it does a great job. The only thing I really don't like about Sony is their Memory Stick. Why do they have to always come out with new formats?

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

rucky
Huffman, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 22, 2009
11:47 AM

Post #7299020

Your absolutly right I was taking picture while deer hunting and a guy asked if he could use my camera to view his pictures off of his game camera. It wouldn't work because his was a normal size card and mine wasn't. I'll bring my laptop next time to view his pictures.I do like that it will hold a lot of pictures but that hasn't been an issue yet.

Thumbnail by rucky

rucky
Huffman, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 22, 2009
11:57 AM

Post #7299032

Neil I love that tree fern and the crimson bottle brush is beutiful.
hcmcdole I used to use photo studio.. well in fact I still do I have moved it from one computer to another I guess I keep it because I know how to use it.
I found this little guy in my green house the other day I was trying to let him go but he kept striking at me over and over so I had to kill it. I am not sure what kind it was but it was agressive.

Thumbnail by rucky

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Photos Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the photo forum! dave 34 May 3, 2013 10:18 AM
My tractor and I, Part II dave 52 Sep 27, 2009 7:18 PM
Spring Spring! and my bowling ball! nicole_in_nc 6 Apr 21, 2010 3:35 PM
Riesentraube tomatoes dave 4 Feb 9, 2008 3:25 AM
It's a Bird...It's a Plane....It's Superdave! gardenwife 27 Nov 18, 2007 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America