Speaking of land values

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

That's irrigated land. Dryland in MN sells for at least that much. High I heard of here was $6400.00 per acre. Minnesota rules are so bad all dairy expansion is leaving the state. Many going to SD. Even a big cheese plant near us, built a plant in SD rather than haul milk from the west.

southeast, NE

There are counties in Nebraska that are declaring that they are "livestock friendly". There is also an endeavor in Nebraska to keep the Humane Society out because they go "overboard" in pushing through their regulations. I still find this surprising. Even though the ground is irrigated - it's very sandy. The ground that usually goes this high is along the Platte River valley.

Waddy, KY

Dad's sitting on a piece of ground that's located in a triangle between Lexington, Louisville and Cincinnati. If he were to divide his ground he could probably get $10,000 an acre right now. As it is without dividing he could probably get $6-$7 thousand an acre. Too expensive to farm. Even marginal ground is going for $2-$3 thousand an acre.

Janet

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

As a dairy product addict, Should i ask if milk is going to go drastically up in price? Or will you have to eat the loss?
I guess like with veggie growers you have to love it to do it.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

First, thank you for being a dairy product addict! Input prices: land, feed, fuel, machinery, repairs, buildings, etc. have almost nothing to do with the price of milk. It is decided by a secret government formula based on a hamster running in a wheel with numbers that mean nothing to anyone but the hamster. When he stops, the number that is up is the price of milk. Or something like that. Actually, the price you pay in the store has little to do with the price we are paid. There are presently some legislators making noises about looking into monopoly business doings on the part of the processors, but I'm not holding my breath.

Around here, land has been very artificially inflated by some of the Amish. I'm afraid they want to get rid of 'us' all.

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

Kathleen I've read up on the subject and I think you're dealing with something a lot more scary than the hamster. At least the hamster would give you a fair price sometimes which would be an improvement.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the input. Think i lean toward the scary price setter too.For the consumer as well as the farmer.

Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

I think that the price of land going up is representative of what our government is doing to the real value of the dollar. They tell us that inflation is under "control", but the govt carefully screens what it uses to measure the inflation. So as long as the govt is printing dollars so fast, the dollar value of the land will be higher because each dollar is worth less.

Richmond, TX

Very true, so but land while you can still afford it!

Crossville, TN

Four acres across the road from me just sold for $35,000...it had been priced at $50,000...all that is on it is Mesquite, cactus, coyotes, scorpions and Bobcats....and a few illegal Mexicans come through quite often! Jo

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

LOL roadrunner, Had'nt you heard? You're probably sitting on oceanfront property.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Our state is buying 3000 acres of old iron mine land from the mining company for $18 million. That's $6000 an acre. Wait a minute, I can buy the best farmland in Minnesota for $5000. They are going to make a state park out of it. So they will spend many more $.
Bernie

Crossville, TN

Cando...actually you may be right...since these achers back up to the Raparian of the San Pedro River...no one will ever be able to build behind this property...which is 3 miles from the river.

Have you ever seen the San Pedro? Unless it is Monsoon season you can usually step from sand bar to sand bar and get across in 2 steps...but it serves a great purpose in our area...birding is great there and lots of wild life uses it to sustain life. Jo

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Sounds like a great place to live so fight for it. LOL
Vickie

This is interesting. Here in Cherokee County, East Texas, good pasture and timberland is going for around $2,500 per acre, and you can find it even cheaper if you're willing to be 10 to 15 miles outside of town.

Crossville, TN

How many acres do you have, Dave...you posted, but I slept since then.

Speaking of "waterfront property" I've had so much rain the last 2 days that I need a boat!!

Jo

This message was edited Jan 22, 2010 8:18 PM

90 acres. We paid $2,250 per acre for it 2 years ago. Here's an aerial view that I took last month.

You can see the dirt around the house we built, our new driveway (dirt driveway, of course) and our 2 acre field that is tilled up. The large body of water in the top of the picture is not part of our land.

Thumbnail by dave
Crossville, TN

What beautiful property! What is the name of the body of water? How many square feet in your house? Do you take in travelers...like roadrunners?? LOL Jo

The body of water doesn't have a name. It's just a good size lake in the neighbor's property.

I don't know how many sqft the house is, actually. But it's plenty big enough for our family. It is a nice house.

Here's a pic of my office where I work now.

Thumbnail by dave
Crossville, TN

Lovely cabinetry...I love nice wood.
You mean you can run DG with just one computer? Jo

That's just my desktop. The servers live in Dallas. Soon we'll have new servers in Los Angeles (or wherever Internet Brands keeps their servers).

Thank you for the compliments on the wood. We actually did all that work ourselves!!

Crossville, TN

Dave...when did ya'll find time to do things like that?
Give us a picture of your house...I watch HGTV almost as much as I watch Fox News!! Jo

We made the time. :)

I don't have any pictures of my house. I'm embarrassed because it's completely surrounded by dirt. We just moved in two months ago and the house is surrounded with dirt.

I'll be putting a lawn in this Spring (seeding Centipede grass) and Trish is already planning all her gardens. Maybe I'll have a picture worth showing this summer. :)

And yes, you're welcome to drop by when you're in East Texas. In fact, I insist that you do.

Crossville, TN

Well...now I will be off to bed...you know a girl my age needs her beauty sleep. Thanks for being here for us. Hugs and goodnite....Jo

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Great cabinets, Dave. If you're ever looking for work, I can always use a good man in the shop. LOL!
Nice looking place you have, & reasonable.
Bernie

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Nice piece of property, Dave. Those cabinets are a lot like my kitchen cabinets. Stan didn't make ours - those pesky cows and a school bus driving job when we were remodeling the house gave him barely time to do all we did (every wall in the downstairs part of the house either disappeared or moved - very long story), so we bought. Since then, he's made me a complete bedroom suite, a cupboard in the kitchen and storage and work space in the back room, a cupboard in the dining room, all of the work tables in the study...

The thing about land prices around here that is scary is that the Amish and summer people buy up farms and then build lots of houses on them. We still have one of the largest concentrations of small farms in NYS, but it is a number on the downward swing.

Richmond, TX

There are no Amish here but any land anywhere near a major city in this area gets bought up by developers and subdivided. It is out of reach for farming. Where do all the people come from?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Check out all the empty houses & business places in the small towns. They keep moving to bigger cities.
Lately I've been watching the HGTV real estate shows where they look at 3 houses & then pick one. Lots of times $300,000 or more each. I thought it would be neat to have them visit our little town, (250 people.) They could chose from three $10,000 houses!

Here in Minnesota they have a way of selling farmland next to a city & then buying some out-state with no taxes. So they sell a farm of 160 acres & buy back a 1000. Sure raises prices!

Crossville, TN

Bernie...Bernie....Those people look at lots of houses...they only film 3...do you really think that a woman would buy a house ...or dress...after looking at only THREE? Jo

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I, a lot of times wouldn't buy any of the three!

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Nice looking place, Dave! I saw somewhere where you had recently moved...how far from your previous home? Hope you didn't have to leave behind too many plants.

Here in South Central Kentucky, we bought 15 acres at $2,000 an acre, pasture/woods mix in 2002. Neighbors bought their 13 mostly wooded acres for $3,000 an acre in 2003. We've recently thought about selling off the 10 acres between us and the neighbors, but came to our senses. LOL!

We actually moved less than a mile down the road!!!

Richmond, TX

How convenient. The animals could walk to their new home?

Could have, but we moved them in the stock trailer. :)

Crossville, TN

Spoiled cows!!...but...contented cows give better milk...is that Carnations logo??

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images