-
AuthorContent
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2009
12:34 AM

Post #7294269

I work for Knit 'N Style magazine and Vickie the assistant editor just found out about the helmet liners that are being made for our soldiers. She just posted this info on the magazine's blog. It's also on the knitting for charity link http://www.knitnstyle.com/knitforcharity/ (the yarnhaven link doesn't work). There are also other charities on that page.

After being told about this, Plymouth Yarn sent Vickie 40 skeins of their wool yarn. That will make 80 liners. This is all brand new yarn just like it would be sent to a store. Cheers to Plymouth Yarn!!

We are planning on getting together at lunch to learn how to make them.
tishrh
Mount Vernon, OH

November 22, 2009
1:25 PM

Post #7299144

That is wonderful! I crochet helmet liners for a group and the soldiers just love them! They are easy to do. Not only does it serve a purpose but it brings a little bit of home to them!

Oh, Hello Everyone! I am new to the group, my name is Tish. I crochet only, tried to knit but just can't get a hold of it. I make helmet liners for the troops, slippers for the troops, red/white and blue 12 inch squares for the families of the fallen troops (to be made into "heroghans") and I am also working on a wall hanging of the Last Supper (thread crochet), a tree top angel (thread) , and a prayer shawl (worsted weight)

Nice to be here!
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2009
4:43 PM

Post #7299759

Hi Tish - welcome to DG. It sounds like you are very busy crocheting. Is the work you are doing local or is there a web site? I like the idea of heroghans. Do you have more info on that?

Loretta
tishrh
Mount Vernon, OH

November 22, 2009
5:44 PM

Post #7299938

It is an internet group. Also I can email you the directions if you like more specifics. You do not need to join the group, you can send to a person who heads it. American Angels the first link, you can go to the projects and see kinda what they do with the squares. Pretty simple. Any red, white and blue 12 " square pattern in Red Heart yarn. They need bright reds and bright blues and real white or you can use variegated red/white/blue.
Then 15 squares from 15 different people are sent to a person to "sew" them together. Each square has a tag on it from the person who made it with their name and state (city and address if you like) and if you like a short message.

American Angels: About their knitting and crochet troops projects. http://www.operationhelpinghand-americanangels.com/CRAFTS.htm

American Angels Heorghans: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/American_Angels_Heroghans/

If you want details about one or the other I can dmail you.
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2009
5:49 PM

Post #7299951

Thanks for the information Tish.
tishrh
Mount Vernon, OH

November 24, 2009
11:39 AM

Post #7305289

your welcome!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Needle Arts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Crochet! celia 23 Nov 21, 2012 4:52 AM
Society Silk Embroidery repair. Jeansgarden 5 Sep 22, 2009 7:28 PM
Hand embroidery MaryinLa 24 May 5, 2009 3:59 PM
Baby rings from 1992 crochet pattern LavinaMae 64 Jul 21, 2014 12:58 PM
Santa Claus mits ViolaAnn 19 May 5, 2011 12:44 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America