Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Woodworking: Is there a market for musium quality furniture

Communities > Forums > Woodworking
bookmark
Forum: WoodworkingReplies: 10, Views: 186
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mynoblebear
Benicia, CA

November 22, 2009
1:39 AM

Post #7298046

I have attempted to find a market for my furniture for 10 years without success. dose a market exist.

Thumbnail by mynoblebear
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 23, 2009
5:52 PM

Post #7302732

Don't know about markets, Bear, but that is a Supper chair.

Dwight
staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2009
8:36 PM

Post #7306580

Wish I could help you find a market too but I'm blank.
Gorgeous! Love the detail and the finish.
DesertPirate
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

November 30, 2009
5:16 PM

Post #7322094

mynoblebear:
Markets for this type of work are typically very limited and in this economy even more so. I build custom furniture myself and most of what I've built is in my home or that of my family. If you can persuade a local store to consign for you and build to order, that will be your best bet. If you build a few sample pieces for "display" in an exclusive shop, in an upscale community, you may be able to get some orders. I did this and it has worked marginally well for me. It's not enough for me to quit my day job though.
Best of luck to you.
Randy
bugme
Barnesville, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2009
5:32 PM

Post #7322141

mynoblebear your chair is wonderful! the advice from desertpirate sounds like your best bet. Wish we lived closer, would love to see more.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

January 25, 2010
1:09 PM

Post #7494392

Wow! that is beautiful. I wish you all the best with being able to find an outlet. Wish I lived closer as well.
Photographer
Moxee, WA
(Zone 4a)

April 26, 2010
3:03 AM

Post #7737641

Marketing is mostly a product that is wanted at an affordable price. People buy wooden chairs all the time. If your chair sold for $50...you'd find a buyer. Take the rockers off and you'd find more interest since 99.9% of the wooden chairs bought are for dining room, kitchen or hutch tables. You're making what you like vs filling demand. Look at it from the consumer side...and you'll find selling wooden chairs is easy. Make a $35 solid hardwood chair...you'll be busy 24/7.
DesertPirate
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 26, 2010
8:21 AM

Post #7738452

Believe me Photographer, that chair, without rockers, has probably over a hundred dollars worth of materials. I think mynoblebear's question was about selling what he has rather than finding what will sell quickly.
meganEmelia
Rochester, NY

April 28, 2010
9:06 PM

Post #7747236

That is beautiful, really a masterpiece...i wonder if you could go to really high end places-aspen, the greenbriar resort, where ever the sundance film festival is... places where multimillion homes are being being built or wealthy artistic people are congregating.. and use Desert Pirate's ideas. perhaps you would get orders from those type of places.. Also, i wonder if there are decorators or galleries who could promote your work, Also in upstate NY there is a yearly quality art and craft show at the rochester art Museum called the clothsline festival. Some items at the same level of craftmanship your chair is, can be found there...Wish i could be more helpful, but if it is your passion, don't give up.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

July 26, 2011
8:16 AM

Post #8716102

local galleries are a start. I am in a small town. You can actually, unload your stuff at a local park or empty lot, and sell it flea market style, if you have pieces that are affordable. You might be able to co-op with another local artist or several of them, and have an artisans day with provisions to take bids, or sell.

I think meganemelia is right "don't give up". Network with other artisans in your area, and take note of their approaches to survival.
Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2014
4:31 PM

Post #9881939

Make up a portfolio and go visit Interior Designers and smaller (boutique style) furniture stores.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Woodworking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Woodworkers unite! drdon 104 Mar 26, 2007 11:23 PM
Let's see your shop! drdon 64 Feb 16, 2009 2:15 PM
extreme birdhouses and more from recycled wood cranbrook2 222 Feb 27, 2012 5:37 AM
What woodworking projects are you planning? drdon 24 Sep 2, 2009 3:28 AM
Halloween Projects ezylivin 49 Oct 13, 2009 4:08 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America