Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Watching gourds dry: hurry up and wait: Good article, TC

Communities > Forums > Article: Watching gourds dry: hurry up and wait
bookmark
Forum: Article: Watching gourds dry: hurry up and waitReplies: 4, Views: 30
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2009
2:33 PM

Post #7299291

Thank you for this article on gourds. Good to hear from a former KYian. Your trajectory reverses mine - born in eastern PA, and now a central KY resident (though winter warmth is not typical here, either).

Those are great images showing the broad range of opportunities to use gourds artistically, and the incredible skills of the folks that choose to do so.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

November 23, 2009
7:01 PM

Post #7302991

I too am from Kentucky. Never stepped foot in PA though. So that makes me out of the loop.
I really like the basket gourds.
Do you do basket gourds?
If so how do you fix the inside of your gourds.

tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2009
8:40 PM

Post #7303324

Hey VV and L2! Good to see comments from some fellow Kentuckians! When I first moved here, I was at a local watering hole with a co-worker who was kind enough to offer a stranger his friendship when this rather sudsed up Yankee sittin on the other side of me turned towards me and with slurred speech said: "Why donch you sllottop trying to taaullkk like you're frwom the souff!" He then proceeded to fall off his stool and I let it go at that.

I'm a newbie gourd craftsman so I'm still learnin a lot. I've not tried my hand with basket gourd crafting yet but I see it happening in the very near future. I plan on growing my own gourds, one of the crafters I mention in the article gets his gourds from a grower in Kentucky. He said he couldn't keep up with all the crafting orders if he had to grow his own and wait for them to dry. I don't see myself starting a business like that though.

Thanks for y'all's comments!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 24, 2009
9:55 PM

Post #7306769

You speak the truth in this article! I have finally just scrubbed the gourds that I grew in summer '07. It is nasty, and difficult if they aren't really soaked. Days of rain here soaked mine so I finally got them clean. A couple are downright beautiful in a natural way! I think those will just get some nice shiny stuff and go au naturale. I've made birdhouses but only get house wrens and have learned they are not nice birds (did an article LOL) so I don't know what I am actually going to do with these, just gaze at them I guess. I'm not too artistic
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2009
10:26 PM

Post #7306854

Hi Sallyg,

I think gourds that dry and are left in their natural state are quite attractive in their own unique way. And I say doing that in and of itself makes you artistic.

Thanks for reading my article!

TC

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Watching gourds dry: hurry up and wait Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
drying time Debbie2007 5 Nov 24, 2009 5:02 PM
Mine Never Came Up This Year Igrowinpa 2 Nov 23, 2009 8:57 PM
Great article TC Treepeepleusa 1 Nov 23, 2009 8:15 PM
I envy you your Swans and Apple gourds.. roadrunner 13 Nov 26, 2009 2:20 AM
painting gourds maiglocke 0 Nov 23, 2009 9:12 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America