Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Watching gourds dry: hurry up and wait: Mine Never Came Up This Year

Communities > Forums > Article: Watching gourds dry: hurry up and wait
bookmark
Forum: Article: Watching gourds dry: hurry up and waitReplies: 2, Views: 17
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Igrowinpa
Beaver Falls, PA
(Zone 6a)

November 23, 2009
2:58 AM

Post #7301585

I'm a decorative painter, as well as a gardener, and I planted a few seeds of two different gourds this spring - a mini bottle gourd and bird house shape type of gourd. I was disappointed when neither one came up. We had placed some fencing near the area where we planted them so that they could climb the fence during the growing season. A local friend told me that during the time I planted the seeds, we had a lot of rainy days, and she felt that my gourd seeds could have rotted in the ground. I will be trying them again next year, and perhaps will start my seeds in pots, to transplant to where I want them.

Thanks for the nice article TC.
Linda
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

November 23, 2009
6:59 PM

Post #7302983

Igrowinpa
I too use to have trouble with gourd seeds. Especially if I tried to start them inside. Some little farm girl selling crafted gourds at a craft fair was surprised when I said this and told me they came up for her like beans.
I think, your seeds - gourds that you will later cut into and use for seeds should not be left outside to freeze, nor should they be to old. Also I think that there must be some type of chemical on them that keeps them from sprouting and best if they are soaked then dry out, then soak, then dry. So it should be well drained soil. I have the best luck just planting them outside in the spring in my garden. I also had the best luck one spring. I had tried to start some gourds early so they would have time to thicken and mature (that doesn't seem to matter really might as well just start them outside. I had no luck what so ever, so I threw the seeds with the good dirt out into a big old plastic flower pot I had outside. Then all after sitting around in a starter for three months sprouted big time. I don't think there was a seed that did not sprout. . Good luck with it all. This year was my last year to grow my big kettle gourds. I have to many now.
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2009
8:57 PM

Post #7303388

Sorry to hear about your disappointing gourd crop Ms. Linda. Did you mound up the area where you planted your gourd seeds? I "hill" or mound up an area about 3x3 ft. and plant three seeds in each mound. I bank up some dirt around the top of the mound so that when I water, the water don't drain off down the sides of the hills. It's like planting in a raised bed (works good for zucchini too). When did you plant your seeds? If you planted too early, before the ground had a chance to warm, your seeds could very well have rotted, and they might have been helped along by all the rain we had early in the season. You can start gourd seeds indoors too, around March.

I'm still learnin as I go and I'm sure I'll come across more good tips and tricks from all you "pros!"

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Watching gourds dry: hurry up and wait Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Good article, TC ViburnumValley 4 Nov 24, 2009 10:26 PM
drying time Debbie2007 5 Nov 24, 2009 5:02 PM
Great article TC Treepeepleusa 1 Nov 23, 2009 8:15 PM
I envy you your Swans and Apple gourds.. roadrunner 13 Nov 26, 2009 2:20 AM
painting gourds maiglocke 0 Nov 23, 2009 9:12 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America