Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: The elusive hickory syrup: Identifying hickory trees

Communities > Forums > Article: The elusive hickory syrup
bookmark
Forum: Article: The elusive hickory syrupReplies: 4, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
al448789
Charlotte, NC

November 23, 2009
5:59 PM

Post #7302745

For a good source for identifying hickory trees ( and of course many other trees) get a copy of David Allen Sibley's new book, "The Sibley Guide to Trees. It is one of the best books of its type that I have ever come across. Ever tried to identify a hickory from its leaves, nuts or bark? It isn't easy. The hickories also just love to confuse us poor humans by changing their leaf configurations from time to time. Shagbarks, Shellbarks and Mockernuts are very good at this game. However, Sibley covers this in his book and gives the reader pictures to identify nuts, twigs, leaves, bark and maps where the various types tend to grow. Well worth acquiring a copy even if you don't try to make hickory syrup.

Cheers
Fitsy
Hayesville, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 23, 2009
6:17 PM

Post #7302821

Vast thanks to Sally for the recipe, and to a1448789 for the book info.

But I still despair of identifying the proper hickory. So I wonder if any hickory
would do.

Fitsy
al448789
Charlotte, NC

November 24, 2009
1:28 AM

Post #7304284

Fitsy,

My best guess is that not all will do.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 24, 2009
4:18 PM

Post #7305869

al--Thanks for the book info. I really had lowered my expectations on ID after reading at U VA that many hybridize. And after trying to ID my own backyard hickory. (Its a few years old, eight feet tall and has some leaves with 11 leaflets which confuses me. ) Now I am encouraged.
Fitsy-- the one called bitternut makes me nervous!
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

November 30, 2009
8:04 PM

Post #7322561

My Dad is forever more going into detail about what each of his hickories in his woods will produce. He calls one a pignut, says it is bitter, can be eaten but he rather the pigs eat them (this is from his young days when thier pigs roamed the woods).

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The elusive hickory syrup Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Yuuummm... Sundownr 24 Feb 4, 2010 11:57 PM
Ever hear of birch water? Ishtar64 7 Dec 1, 2009 5:46 PM
Next Year Gatekey 1 Nov 24, 2009 4:23 PM
Author apologies for misnaming owner sallyg 0 Dec 1, 2009 5:06 PM
Feeling foolish... Sundownr 4 Nov 4, 2010 4:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America