Saving water - ideas

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

I have been collecting my cold shower water in a pickle bucket until it runs warm. I take the water & put it in the washing machine. How easy is that? Several gallons a day saved. I have been doing this for years to water my plants, but the washing machine is a new idea I thought I'd share.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Good going ~ Terichris. I have always believed water conservation is a necessary evil. Maybe not evil... but something to be proud of.

I collect rain water and use it for plants. I also empty the dog water pails into the rain barrels rather than down the drain or out in the yard. I work (on my feet) on a concrete floor. When they really get to bothering me, I soak them in hot epsom salt water. When done soaking, I use that water on my plants. Works excellent.

A few years back we were visited by hurricane Rita. It knocked out the power for 5 days. We used rain barrel water to flush and wash up. I would choose not to drink it so I keep bottled drinking water. We were grateful for the water we had. Made life more civil.

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks. They are selling rain barrels at Whole Foods now for $99. I wanted to make two last year, but didn't get around to it. That is how the pickle bucket came to be. I don't know why it took so long to think up the washer idea!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images