Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Unusual and Bizarre Plants - Massonia: Something Strange and Beautiful for Winter: I would love to grow this!

Communities > Forums > Article: Unusual and Bizarre Plants - Massonia: Something Strange and Beautiful for Winter
bookmark
Forum: Article: Unusual and Bizarre Plants - Massonia: Something Strange and Beautiful for WinterReplies: 8, Views: 31
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
binibusybee
Osgoode, ON
(Zone 5b)

November 24, 2009
1:51 AM

Post #7304382

Thank you for a very interesting article! I used to live in Southern Africa, first as a child then lateron as an adult. The range of specially adapted plants growing in very specific regions is truly amazing . I saw a welwitchia in the Namib Desert - it was not a very spectacular sight, but the knowledge that it might be hundreds of years old made it worth seing. I have one vivid memory related to the Swakop Desert. On the drive down from Windhoek to Swakopmund, we ran into a rain storm. When it rains in the desert its like an opening of the flood gates! A week later we drove out to the desert and what had been bare sand stretching forever was transformed into a carpet of flowers! The seeds can sit in the scorching hot sand for years if not decades and one drenching mobilizes them into action!
My family brought some succulents and cactii back from Namibia when we returned to Germany in 1970. There was one in particular that fascinated me: this plant grew in the shape of a toe-sized, plump cushion, grey-green in colour with a sprinkling of darker spots. Each set of 'leaves' was split in the middle and a new set would grow out of the centre eventually, with its split-line at right angles to the original pair.
This plant was known by a rather funny (but rather politically incorrect) name: Hottentotts Buttocks! Does anyone know the plant I'm trying to desribe?

And is it possible to obtain the bulbs of massonia plants?

Sabine
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 24, 2009
3:13 AM

Post #7304608

Sabine,

Your Hottentotts Buttocks sounds like a species of Lithops (stone plants). Below is a link showing an example:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/174990/

As far as obtaining Massonia, the only sources I knew of I listed as links in the article. Glad you enjoyed it!

LariAnn
binibusybee
Osgoode, ON
(Zone 5b)

November 24, 2009
12:35 PM

Post #7305348

Hi LariAnn
They are the very ones! Do I understand they grow in North American deserts too?
Thanks for your reply.

sabine
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 27, 2009
8:14 AM

Post #7313119

Since I have read this article all I want are some bulbs of this plant. I have emailed and searched the internet. Now, this is serious. I am going to sit naked and go on a hunger strike until I can get some bulbs.
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 27, 2009
10:54 PM

Post #7314692

The following link:

http://leondis.com/bulb.html

shows two sizes of plants for sale. Scroll down to the Massonia, 2nd plant from the bottom of the page.

LariAnn
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 28, 2009
3:27 AM

Post #7315335

Interesting I emailed him last night, as they were not there.
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 2, 2009
7:12 AM

Post #7327539

I found one at Arid Lands, www.aridlands.com. Massonia c.f. depressa 4-inch pots for $8.00
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2009
5:45 PM

Post #7338265

I got my plants from Arid Lands in very good condition and repotted immediaely. The plants had good leaves 3-4 inches along and a bulb approximately 3/4" in diameter. The bulb was intact. Really, quality was excellent.
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 6, 2009
2:31 AM

Post #7340201

That's great to hear, and good news for anyone who wants one of these. Thanks for the info!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Unusual and Bizarre Plants - Massonia: Something Strange and Beautiful for Winter Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
mimicry! phicks 1 Nov 12, 2008 8:43 PM
Neat! Kelli 1 Nov 12, 2008 11:47 PM
Interested in planting materials Fakir 0 Nov 19, 2008 2:54 AM
massonia plants nellcey 1 Nov 27, 2009 2:22 AM
This is beautful and different AudreyD 0 Nov 24, 2009 3:54 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America