Flannel Sheets

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I would like to get some flannel sheets for my son. WOWie are they expensive. They run $30-40 for a set. He doesn't use pillow cases or top sheets, only the fitted.
So I called the fabric store and she said flannel was like $5 a yard and is 45 inches wide.
I'm thinking I could buy a fitted cotton sheet and sew a large piece of flannel over the top. I could buy a yard and a half of flannel for $7.50 and a fitted sheet for I think $7 at walmart. That would make my sheet about $15.
does anyone foresee any problems with doing this? I will wash and dry the materials before sewing, in case either of them shrink.
Other than that, what do you think?

Also, on another note, my son likes chocolate covered marshmallows, you know the kind they wrap in fancy wrapping and they are santa shaped or snowmen or whatever.
There are I think 6 or 8 in a package? for $1.
I think I could buy a bag of large marshmallows for $1 and some milk chocolate chips, and melt the chips and dip the marshmallows. I don't know how expensive toothpicks are, but I was thinking I could put one in each marshmallow and then dip it in the chocolate.
Candy is just high. I think I will try making some simple candies. He loves Reeses, but they are high, and don't last long around here! So I thought about peanut butter fudge and spreading a thin layer of melted chips over the top before cutting into squares. Chocolate fudge with peanuts in it would be good too.
He also likes those thin mint patties that are chocolate covered. I thought about trying a recipe I have for wedding mints. It uses cream cheese and sugar and mint flavor. I think he would really like those, and they would be homemade and last a long time I think in the fridge.

Does anyone on here know anything about karaoke? My daughter wants one of those things, and I know nothing about them, except they are kind of pricey. I bought her an amplifier at walmart and a microphone. Total cost was $40 I think on that. We have a dvd player that plays cd's. I would like to know if anyone has played CD-G on a DVD player? It is a CD that has graphics (G). The graphics I guess are the words that display on your TV screen or if you have a fancy karaoke machine it will display on the screen on that.
So I was hoping I could just buy some used cd-g on E-bay and play them on my TV through DVD. The karaoke players look like they run about 60-90 for a good one. They come pre loaded with some music, but most of it is stuff I'm not sure she would like anyway. It also has the capability of using two microphones, which the amp I bought only takes one.
So I would welcome any advice on this because I am tech impaired pretty bad! She is 9 years old btw.

Christmas on a shoestring :)

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Don't know anything about the electronics Frilly - sorry -- I bet some of the more tech minded DGs will chime in.

Your Flannel Sheet idea sounds real good - don't know why it wouldn't work. You should also look at Marshalls and Ross Dress For Less - their linen aisles have reallllly reasonably priced sheets etc. I'd look there first before I got out the sewing machine. Also if you go the home sewing route.... think about personalizing. Like if he watches TV in the room..... put a small square of the same flannel on the side of the fitted sheet to hold the remote ! This way it will present as a gift that was not only thrifty and ingenious ----- but needed to be home doctored in order to get that special pouch to hold his stuff! My husband tore his flannel plaid PJ bottom and really had a fit because the pants were so comfortable and well made..... So I patched it with a solid patch and embroidered a heart on it with both our initials and he liked it better ! I think he was glad he tore it!!! HA! Years ago he had a red 'Union Suit" with the back flap.... I found a big shiny harley cotton patch (with wings!!) and sewed it on that bottom. He hated it and he loved it! So you could decorate your side pocket similiarly with a Mama Loves You Sonny Boy or something silly like that.

Your candy fixins' don't forget peanut brittle - the ingredients are not expensive when you consider how much you can make and how long it takes to eat just a piece ----lasts a WHOLE lot longer in the mouth than marshmallow or reese's etc. There is a microwave recipe - you just have to make sure doesn't burn in the microwave. Also don't forget chocolate dipped pretzel sticks - easy and not expensive.

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

Ms. Lily I am available for adoption. Seriously, I have no idea about the production of flannel sheets but I do remember how much I appreciated them. Thanks for the memories and I may have to go find a set for the winter.

As for the karaoke, remember to get a set of ear plugs for yourself. You may need them. ^_^

Z

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

I would check on Craigslist for a used Karaoke machine. It's typically the kind of thing people tire of after a while.

Personalizing the sheets wold be a great idea for some kids, but my son is mentally retarded and wouldn't care if the sheets had Barbie on them, really.
In some ways, it makes alot of things in life much simpler, I never have to worry about 'style' or name brands or whatever.
He wouldn't be able to eat Peanut Brittle, only the softer candies. But I do agree that for the money, it would last longer.
Will have to try the pretzels. That sounds good, he would probably eat those. I know Mommy would :)

I will check out Craigs and see what there is. Trouble is they never have anything until I buy it LOL

Ear Plugs will be needed I am afraid. There is no danger in this child 'tiring' of music. She sang before she talked, in fact she hummed before she could say words.
And the noise hasn't stopped yet !

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

one thing to remember about flannel sheets, they pill and they are dirt and dog hair magnets. i've never found a good brand that lasted and that looked and felt fresh after a few washings. as a side note, especially for women, never use flannel pillowcases. they break your hair. i read that somewhere and always remembered it.

Oh....I didn't know about the hair...... now I have an excuse for the frazzle!

Every now and again Overstock.com has these 100 cotton german flannel sheets on sale. THICK - deep pockets, NEVER pill and I've washed a zillion times. I like flannel because keeps you cool in summer but no chill and warm in the winter.

I bet he will love the pretzels and easy too.

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

I think the ones that Overstock sells are the stretch flannel ones? They are very popular in Europe. And yes, they do last with no problems.

Dutch - what do you mean by stretch? There is no stretch at all in the actual flannel fabric - it is 100 percent cotton (very thick too) but the contour sheet - the bottom sheet - has the stretch elastic around the perimeter to fit the mattress. I regret not getting more. They never seem to have the queen size in a light color. Overstock tends to be hit and miss sometimes with sizes.

Boise City, OK(Zone 6a)

If you have a favorite bonbon recipe you can make cute snowmen heads by covering them in melted white chocolate chips and then make stovepipe hats for them by melting the milk chocolate chips and dipping the large marshmallows, placing them on waxed paper and allowing the chocolate to drip down. Then you swirl them around in that excess chocolate to make brims for the hats. Chill them until firm and then attach to the heads by gluing with some melted chips. Decorate the faces with icing and enjoy. We are always looking for something fun for the long days inside but it has to be tasty too.

They also make Jersey Knit sheets
or some other 't-shirt' material they make sheets with. I never have used that kind, but they look 'cheap' to me, like they wouldn't last.
I have a set of flannel, used for 3 years now and I love them. No problems so far.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i've tried that jersey stuff-don't like it at all. maybe that's what i had and not real flannel? anyway, i have to have cool sheets...AC even in winter. i'd curl up and die in flannel! LOL

well!!!!! You ARE in FL.

Lucky Dog :)

I would beg you to invite ME for the winter LOL but I see it says MID FL and that would not be so good. beach too far away ha ha

southeast, NE

or hot flashes?????

You might check the post Thanksgiving sales. If you don't want to fight the crowds, I noticed there are some offered online at Younkers and Kohls.

I bought some flannel today and will sew that to some reg cotton fitted sheets.
I got some brown with a horse shoe sort of pattern and some john deere tractors. Perfect for the little runt. Will match his room great and be warm.
Now just got to sew them up!

I bought some strawberry flavored marshmallows at WM and some of those really large pretzel sticks like 6 inches long or so. I think I will put the marshmallows on the stick and dip that in chocolate. I bought some milk chocolate chips to melt. I seen the chocolate bark was quite a bit cheaper, but it has a waxy texture or something, I don't care for it. But if others like that, it is cheaper by far. by the ounce that is, not the unit price per say.

I also stopped at an antique store and bought a HERSHEY'S cook book. !!!!!!!!! YUMMY!
I am gonna weigh a million pounds by New Years LOL

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i'm in the middle of the state, an hour away from both coasts! it's perfect if you hate hurricanes. oh and by the way, i love lebanon, mo. and spent many a weekend in and around it. some great old caves there too if you know where to look!

There is a restaurant in a cave, I think maybe 20 or 30 mins from here.
A neat place.

Of course Branson and Osage Beach area are fairly close too.

Well I hate hurricanes of course, lol never been in one.
well almost this past spring. but that is another story ...
Was in a tornado once though, once is enough.
An hour from the beach sounds lovely, my self invite is official :)

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

oh, i've been to that restaurant, i'm pretty sure. it was a long time ago (the 70's) and i don't always remember the details. i have family in branson. c'mon down!

Branson is so stinking expensive!
Surprised the hotels don't charge a fee every time ya flush the pot lol

who knows, maybe they do by now! Been like a year and half since I was there last, and that was to buy shoes, no party for me, I hate shoe shopping.
I bought a pair of sketchers today for my son for $25, was $40. So that was a good deal.
The trouble with him is, I need velcro since he wears diapers, I take them on and off lots, and by the time you are a teenager they don't make velcro shoes LOL

My parents pastor a church in Forsyth, so they see more of Branson than I do.
They went to Orlando this past summer for an annual general assembly. I of course missed out, as ALWAYS lol

Mid-Michigan, MI(Zone 5b)

Frilly, it seems like much more work to sew your flannel onto a ready-made sheet.
http://www.ehow.com/how_4903595_fitted-sheet.html

Have you tried fleece sheets? I was surprised at how much I like them...very soft and warm!

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I love my flannel sheets. I got them last year on Black Friday, online at Amazon.com. They're queen sized and were only $10 a set. I bought three sets for me and one for my brother who just moved back to town. We love them. Mine don't pill and they're so soft and warm. I'm guessing right about now, you could find all kinds of Black Friday deals on them.

The only problem I see with making your sheet is that you'll have a seam if it goes on a bed bigger than a twin. Seams can be rather uncomfortable.

I seen some fleece sheets at Kmart and they looked pretty nice, but they were about $40 for a full size set.
No there will not be a seem as the material is 45 inches wide.
wow, I've never seen flannel sheets for $10 a set! That was a bargain! I will have to look for that when I replace mine. I only have one set, but it is King size and that is a hard size to find sometimes, especially that I can afford.
But I love the extra room!

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Shop the black friday sales online. Amazon and Overstock are good sources. Walmart, Kmart and Target may have some good sales online too. I do most of my shopping online. I refuse to step into a store on Black Friday.

Cyber Monday is the Monday after Tgiving and there will be lots of online sales then. I save tons of money by shopping online instead of locally. Ebay may also have some bargains on flannel sheets.

Huffman, TX(Zone 9a)

we have a couple of very old sets of flannel sheets we have had for years and use them only in the winter I didn't know they were that expensive in fact I don't remember where we got them but we love them in the winter. Of course we don't need them on the stupid temperpedic matress its allready way to warm. My wife says they are not hot flashes but power surges:o)

hmmm power surge....
I wish my dh would have one of those once in a while

My honey do list is from here to china I am afraid.

I wondered about buying an electric blanket, but boy are they expensive. I would hate to spend all that on one and then what if I didn't like it?

take it back - the stores take everything back. I heard the sales clerk at Bed,Bath and Beyond tell a customer that she could take back a pillow after she trialed it.

FrillyLily...do you have a Target store near you? They had flannel sheet sets on sale 14.99 any size!!!!

Huffman, TX(Zone 9a)

I am sorry to but into ya'lls thread but I wanted to add something about electric blankets. I don't think they are a good Idea just my opinion. My doctor once told me that the dry heat was bad for joints.Of couse it don't get that cold here in Texas but when it does or when we go to the deer camp where there is no heat.We grab an old Afgan that my mother made years ago Its a kinda knitted thing or croshay(can't spell it) its kind of a loose knit thing there is nothing warmer on a cold night. I don't know how a person would go about finding them but thats my 2 cents worth on that.
I put my honeydo list off untill I retired now I am bowed up like a cut worm I don't know how I had time to work. I have to take a day off every once in a while to go fishing !!!

Hmmmm. wish I could 'trial' panites.
Hate those things.

Of course they are not cheap, then you wear them for 30 mins and are obsessed with getting them OFF lol

:)

Well dry heat may be bad for the joints, but no heat is bad for my whole body lol
So my question now is, how hard is it to wash an electric blanket? Can you? maybe they have to be dry cleaned?
I will check out some of the target stuff. We don't have a target, but maybe the website will have something. Probably missed it by now knowing my luck!

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I have an electric blanket. Yes, you can throw it in the washer. The electrical supply connects to an adapter on the blanket. So just disconnect it before washing the blanket.

Don't sleep ON the blanket; sleep under it. You can damage the electrical coils by sleeping on it. It's also a good idea to have a sheet between you and the blanket. And keep the temperature setting low. Mine is usually on 3; any higher and it just gets too hot.

I would die if I had an electric blanket!! I keep my ceiling fan on and the furnace at 62 at night. My husband wears fleece jammies so he doesn't freeze to death, lol. I put twin size wool blankets on his side of the bed so he's nice and cozy.

My kids inherited my arctic gene, last winter I got up because I could feel a cold breeze in the house and my 9 year old son had opened his window...in February!! I think it was about 10 degrees outside. Goofy kid.

At least the arctic gene is cheaper than the southern bird gene I ended up with !
We go through propane like crazy it seems like.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images