-
AuthorContent
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 24, 2009
12:20 PM

Post #7305332

First,Thanks tc Iam so glad to you are sharing with us,i bought my 1st finished apple gourd this summer at an heirloom tomato festival,it started right then !! Then in oct. I went to my favorite summer market,aanndd she had green apple gourds ,well,you know where this going !!! I bought 4,then I started picking her brain,did you grow these ,not this year,she said ,but I grew some last yr and they are just laying out by the greenhouse,she dropped off 4 beautiful dried apple gourds ,at my door ,no less,i have known her for ever,she lives just a few min. from me.Anyway I went back a few days later,to get pumkins and such,she had brought in all of her dried gourds,i bought more ! at $1 apeice,and i went back again,she closes down the week before Halloween and she marks everything 1/2 off,so I have 4 apple 2swan to dry,and I have 15 dried apple and caveman ? gourds .And I have been reading everything I can about drying and crafting.iam assuming now that Ive read a bit about the process,mine were most likly picked to soon so Iam expecting rot,we will see,and the amish gourd site is great Ive been there.We have been having really mild weather so Iam leaving them outside ,and its amazing how much lighter they are already.Now we need more info on the gourd Inks or dyes they use for crafting.I am sorry for being so chatty,Iam so excited about crafting gourds

Thumbnail by huggergirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 24, 2009
12:24 PM

Post #7305335

Just for giggles I dried these decorative gourds last year ,Iam going to scrub them up and maybe just put a sealer on them ,They are rather thin shelled but they are cool none the less

Thumbnail by huggergirl

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 24, 2009
12:28 PM

Post #7305340

My stash of dried gourds

Thumbnail by huggergirl

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 24, 2009
12:36 PM

Post #7305349

i wish i could dry this picture !!!

Thumbnail by huggergirl

tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2009
4:50 PM

Post #7305985

Thanks huggergirl! What a great collection you've got there! I know you'll have lots of fun crafting with all of your gourds.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

November 25, 2009
2:33 AM

Post #7307514

The gourds you have cleaned so far, you have done an excellant job with.
what a pretty fall scene. That blue spruce againest the yellow maple as a back drop just adds to the perfect picture of Fall.
Happy Thanksgiving and A good fall to you and your two cute cats.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Watching gourds dry: hurry up and wait Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Good article, TC ViburnumValley 4 Nov 24, 2009 10:26 PM
drying time Debbie2007 5 Nov 24, 2009 5:02 PM
Mine Never Came Up This Year Igrowinpa 2 Nov 23, 2009 8:57 PM
Great article TC Treepeepleusa 1 Nov 23, 2009 8:15 PM
I envy you your Swans and Apple gourds.. roadrunner 13 Nov 26, 2009 2:20 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America