Photo by Melody

Article: Sweet Potatoes or Yams - Which is Which?: What about SP pie?!

Communities > Forums > Article: Sweet Potatoes or Yams - Which is Which?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Sweet Potatoes or Yams - Which is Which?Replies: 1, Views: 22
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

November 25, 2009
2:46 PM

Post #7308502

I grew up in the north but have lived in the upper south for about 30 years.
When someone first served me a piece of sweet potato pie, having been a real pumpkin pie fanatic, I could not imagine anyone making a pie out of this vegetable and wasn't sure I'd like it.
Now, I can't imagine Thanksgiving or Christmas without it and wouldn't eat a piece of dull, dusty tasting pumpkin pie if you paid me.
Sweet potato pie is so much more flavorful and more nutritious. However, the secret to making a REALLY GOOD SWEET POTATO PIE is not to boil the potatoes! Baking the potatoes allows the natural sugars in the potato to caramelize, producing a much tastier, richer flavor.
Here's my recipe for a smallish pie.
Ingredients
1 pound of sweet potatoes
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar (I've used 3/4 raw sugar and it tastes even better!)
1/2 cup cream or half and half
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (some use allspice as well)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust
Directions
1. Pierce and bake the sweet potatoes as though they are baking potatoes, in their skins, on a cookie sheet, for about an hour in a preheated oven set to about 325.
2. When cooled, remove the skins and discard them and place the flesh in a medium sized bowl. Add butter and mix well with a mixer on low speed. Stir in sugar, milk, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth. Pour filling into an unbaked pie crust.
3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Pie will puff up like a souffle and then sink down as it cools.
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 25, 2009
7:55 PM

Post #7309357

I have southern relatives who won't show up to a feast without bringing their own SP pie.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Sweet Potatoes or Yams - Which is Which? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A different recipe: Molamola 7 Nov 24, 2009 3:12 AM
I didn't know... Sundownr 2 Nov 13, 2008 2:03 PM
Now I AM confused........... wannadanc 16 Nov 19, 2012 10:00 AM
Yellow Sweetpotatoes Indy 5 Nov 25, 2009 2:24 AM
Sweet potatoes are also tasty eaten raw Katlian 14 Nov 19, 2012 1:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America