Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Sweet Potatoes or Yams - Which is Which?: Sweet potatoes

Communities > Forums > Article: Sweet Potatoes or Yams - Which is Which?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Sweet Potatoes or Yams - Which is Which?Replies: 0, Views: 5
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
scentsation
Lake Isle
Canada

November 25, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #7308706

I was very excited to have started some sweet potatoes from shoots that took almost a year to grow on a store bought sweet potato. I rooted the shoots then transplanted into 3 very big pots. Two were eventually planted in the garden and despite a cool Alberta summer with very little rain I harvested about a dozen, from 2 or 3 quite nice sized to a fewer smaller ones. The plant in the big pot did very well also(put in greenhouse as it was a very cool fall as well) and a got about another 6 ranging in size from as long as my hand and about 2/3 as wide to some medium and a couple smaller. All were very tastey with thin edible skin(unlike the hard ineatable of the store bought) Ive since eaten all but the biggest which Ive cut in half, and put in water held up with tooth picks, which Im trying to shoot. Does anyone have any advice for starting shoots from store bought sweet potatoes or yams. Was I supposed to cut it in half(read that somewhere) as the prior store bought one wasnt but took a year to shoot???Any advice would be great!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Sweet Potatoes or Yams - Which is Which? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A different recipe: Molamola 7 Nov 24, 2009 3:12 AM
I didn't know... Sundownr 2 Nov 13, 2008 2:03 PM
Now I AM confused........... wannadanc 16 Nov 19, 2012 10:00 AM
Yellow Sweetpotatoes Indy 5 Nov 25, 2009 2:24 AM
Sweet potatoes are also tasty eaten raw Katlian 14 Nov 19, 2012 1:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America