Green pop bottles - toss or use?

Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO(Zone 5b)

I am working on my containers for January/February. Can I use the green pop bottles or shall I toss them and stick with clear ones? It's my first year so I want every advantage! :^) Thanks! Cynthia (Newbie)

This message was edited Nov 25, 2009 3:58 PM

Thumbnail by hanseycollie
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Cynthia, the green pop bottles work just fine.

Trudi's "rule of thumb"= if you can see your thumb through the container, it's clear enough. I use mostly milk jugs, which aren't really clear, but plenty of light passes through.

Karen

Wonderful, Karen! I thought I'd read somewhere to use only the clear ones, but the green are as clear as the milk jugs are. My husband is a Diet Mt. Dew fan, so I have tons of green. For some reason, he doesn't want to drink another soda until I'm finished winter sowing, LOL. I think I'll also like the gallon jugs the best.

I keep hoping I'm not the only person in the world that WS won't work for. ~grins~ Thanks - I'll keep on now with my carton preparation! I'm planning for about 100-150 jugs since my gardens are all new, and I've promised flowers to tons of friends.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Don't worry. If you just follow the basics it will work great.

Important steps IMO
dampen potting mix throughout (i.e. stir and mix for even moisture) before filling and sowing
minimum 3" of potting mix
plenty of drainage holes
keep moist
plant out seedlings with taproots while small
protect seedlings from excessive heat
protect tender seedlings (like zinnias, marigolds, cosmos) from freezing

Karen

It sounds like fun - I'll be sure and keep this info - thanks so much! Hopefully I'll succeed like everyone else! I hope, I hope, I hope!!! Thanks Karen!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Cynthia

Where did ya get that wonderful blue bird..... I kept expecting to see a long nose show up around the side of it...LOL

I sure hope you have just recently gotten the bird, I would love to have one like that.

Janet

Janet, I got it at Menard's on clearance - it was originally like $20 and it was reduced to about $9. You can buy him on line, but the places I've found him want about $40 - talk about a ripoff! Did you get my info about your dogs I dmailed you? I've been worried....

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Yep got your dmail, thanks for the info, been dealing with health issues that have flared back up.

Janet

Sounds good - glad you have the info. Will keep you in my prayers as you make decisions.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.