Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Winter Sowing: Green pop bottles - toss or use?

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 8, Views: 130
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

November 25, 2009
8:10 PM

Post #7309397

I am working on my containers for January/February. Can I use the green pop bottles or shall I toss them and stick with clear ones? It's my first year so I want every advantage! :^) Thanks! Cynthia (Newbie)

This message was edited Nov 25, 2009 3:58 PM

Thumbnail by hanseycollie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2009
9:57 PM

Post #7309676

Cynthia, the green pop bottles work just fine.

Trudi's "rule of thumb"= if you can see your thumb through the container, it's clear enough. I use mostly milk jugs, which aren't really clear, but plenty of light passes through.

Karen
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

November 25, 2009
10:02 PM

Post #7309692

Wonderful, Karen! I thought I'd read somewhere to use only the clear ones, but the green are as clear as the milk jugs are. My husband is a Diet Mt. Dew fan, so I have tons of green. For some reason, he doesn't want to drink another soda until I'm finished winter sowing, LOL. I think I'll also like the gallon jugs the best.

I keep hoping I'm not the only person in the world that WS won't work for. ~grins~ Thanks - I'll keep on now with my carton preparation! I'm planning for about 100-150 jugs since my gardens are all new, and I've promised flowers to tons of friends.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 26, 2009
3:20 AM

Post #7310589

Don't worry. If you just follow the basics it will work great.

Important steps IMO
dampen potting mix throughout (i.e. stir and mix for even moisture) before filling and sowing
minimum 3" of potting mix
plenty of drainage holes
keep moist
plant out seedlings with taproots while small
protect seedlings from excessive heat
protect tender seedlings (like zinnias, marigolds, cosmos) from freezing

Karen
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

November 26, 2009
3:39 AM

Post #7310629

It sounds like fun - I'll be sure and keep this info - thanks so much! Hopefully I'll succeed like everyone else! I hope, I hope, I hope!!! Thanks Karen!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2009
11:26 PM

Post #7332646

Cynthia

Where did ya get that wonderful blue bird... I kept expecting to see a long nose show up around the side of it...LOL

I sure hope you have just recently gotten the bird, I would love to have one like that.

Janet
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 3, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #7332656

Janet, I got it at Menard's on clearance - it was originally like $20 and it was reduced to about $9. You can buy him on line, but the places I've found him want about $40 - talk about a ripoff! Did you get my info about your dogs I dmailed you? I've been worried...

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2009
2:21 AM

Post #7333276

Yep got your dmail, thanks for the info, been dealing with health issues that have flared back up.

Janet
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2009
4:06 AM

Post #7333599

Sounds good - glad you have the info. Will keep you in my prayers as you make decisions.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America