Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
magicocqueoc
Millersburg, MI

November 27, 2009
11:16 PM

Post #7314730

Please help, I have several apple trees, which have been infested with codling moths, it started about 2 years ago. I was wondering if I could use cedar branches laid around the base of the trees to repel them, or I do have a chipper could I chip the branches to use as mulch? Last spring I power washed the trunks, that seemed to help a little. Or is there something out there that is better but still organic.

Michelle
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 28, 2009
1:08 AM

Post #7314982

Here's an article about controlling them. The non-chemical methods are obviously organic, but it sounds like they're not good by themselves when you already have a good population going so you may need to use an insecticide as well. Of the insecticides they mention, Spinosad is organic and I believe you can get organic horticultural oils as well. Carbaryl/Seven is not organic. http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7412.html (I doubt cedar branches are going to do much for you--I'd try some of the things suggested in the article instead)
magicocqueoc
Millersburg, MI

November 28, 2009
2:04 AM

Post #7315123

Great article, thank you ecrane3, I've learned alot. It looks like you right, I'll need to use a combo. I didn't know what the larve or their caseing looked like before now. I also have them in the front lawn about 100 or so feet from the nearest apple tree. Over 20 years ago there once was an apple tree there.
Michelle

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Organic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Miracle Gro darius 70 May 14, 2013 6:35 AM
Not Gardening, but Organic information darius 14 Feb 20, 2008 9:10 PM
pumpkins & borers roseofkaren 25 Feb 24, 2008 8:39 PM
Brewer's grain vs. Alfalfa meal/pellets for amendments? tabasco 9 Nov 3, 2008 6:36 PM
Raised beds & soil-borne disease sfk 9 Apr 6, 2008 4:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America