Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Water Gardens: Can you fertilize plants an indoor pond?

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 3, Views: 62
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

November 28, 2009
12:39 AM

Post #7314916

In the past we have lost fish to herons and raccoons, so all summer long we protected the 8 fish in our little pond with netting and chicken wire. It became so messy with leaves and so forth that we decided to bring them inside. In zone 6 in the northeast, it has been unseasonably warm, and I did not want to have to take fish out of freezing waters. We made a frame of 2x12 pine, draped it with pondliner and filled it with what we guess is 100-120 gallons of water.

We brought the fish in (all varieties of goldfish) and lost 2 comets, probably due to difficult handling in catching them. I used to be able to hand feed them, but they are still pretty frightened. We took in some water lettuce and water hyacinth which are doing questionably. The hyacinth is still in a bucket, as I want to see if it does something beside rot. The umbrella plants and elephant ear seem to be doing OK. Does anyone know if there any kind of plant food that is safe for pond fish? The fish have made a mess of the lettuce, but I think they are starting to acclimate to the new home.

We're still in the experimental stage, and I don't know if other people do this. Does anyone have experience with indoor ponds?

This message was edited Nov 28, 2009 9:26 AM
HoosierGreen
Danville, IN

November 28, 2009
11:41 PM

Post #7317269

Yes, there are many brands of pond plant fertilizer that are safe for fish. They are usually available at pond supply stores, garden centers, and even big box stores that have garden departments. They are "tabs" that you stick into the soil that the plants are growing in. For water lettuce and water hyacinth, the "fish water" they are floating in is all the fertilizer they need. Also, unless your indoor pond is in a very sunny area, you will need to supplement light for the winter, and keep the water warm. There are all types of gro-lights to help your water plants thrive in the dark months of winter. There are all types of heaters to keep the water at a good temperature for those tropicals. Good luck.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2009
9:52 PM

Post #7372006

full spectrum lites as in greenhouse plants are prob more required than the fertilizer, those plants love sun, isnt too bad for the fish either
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

January 1, 2010
3:56 AM

Post #7415307

Hoosier and kittriana, thanks for your input. I guess the "fish water" is doing its job, and we got a filter that keeps beneficial bacterial in the pond. It's a little greater investment than we anticipated, but very enjoyable.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America