-
AuthorContent
pauliewalnuts
Fife
United Kingdom

November 28, 2009
8:08 PM

Post #7316869

Hi everyone. I've just bought a small variegated Monstera on eBay and, before it arrives, was looking for advice on its care. I've read that they are more 'sensitive' and slower growing than regular Monsteras and was wondering if they should be treated any different. I've been looking for this plant for ages - they seem to be very rare in the UK - and really want to make sure that I treat it right! Any advice would be appreciated.

Paul.

(I've just searched Plant Files and think that the plant I'm getting looks more like Monstera borsigiana 'Albo variegata'. Don't know if this makes any difference on how to look after it.)

This message was edited Nov 28, 2009 9:14 PM
3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

November 29, 2009
12:47 AM

Post #7317428

I just read that it may need more light than the green requires. The green seems to like a good bit of light, too, but maybe it's more necessary for the variegated varieties.
pauliewalnuts
Fife
United Kingdom

November 29, 2009
7:58 AM

Post #7318134

Thanks. I thought it might need more light because of the variegation, but I've also read that too-strong light burns the leaves. Also that leaves can often revert to all-green, or worse, all-white, in which case they die off because of the absence of chlorophyll. Looks like this might be a tricky customer.
3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

November 29, 2009
11:38 AM

Post #7318234

You can move it into light slowly or just put up with the burned leaves and the new leaves will be used to it. Find out from the seller what kind of light they think would be best. Most of the time, people are helpful if you have a question.
pauliewalnuts
Fife
United Kingdom

December 2, 2009
5:53 PM

Post #7328637

Little fella just arrived today. Quite small but ready to put out a new leaf.

Thumbnail by pauliewalnuts
Click the image for an enlarged view.

3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

December 2, 2009
6:28 PM

Post #7328733

Well, it's got my vote as very pretty!!! It doesn't look that small, if you have it in a 3 inch pot, then it's getting nice size already :). You are just used to your big green one, lol.
pauliewalnuts
Fife
United Kingdom

December 2, 2009
8:04 PM

Post #7329147

Yeah, if it grows as well as its 'big brother' I'll be very happy. I'm still on the look-out for a variegated Aspidistra. I'm a sucker for that 'paint spattered' look. Must be my Art College background, lol.
3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

December 2, 2009
8:06 PM

Post #7329155

I think I like all foliage, green splattered, other. I even think poison ivy is pretty but only from a distance, lol.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 3, 2009
12:51 AM

Post #7329890

What a beauty! It will probably need a larger container very quickly.

I've been thinking for a few years now about ordering a variegated Monstera, but they end up being Monster Monstera's, LOL. I have a couple of small solid green ones and like so many folks, I love variegated foliage!

There are a couple of variegated Monstera's listed in Plant Files:

M. deliciosa Albo Variegata: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/67794/

M. borsigiana Albo Variegata: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/95705/

Keep us updated on your new plant, I look forward to seeing pictures as it grows!
pauliewalnuts
Fife
United Kingdom

December 3, 2009
4:12 PM

Post #7331485

Size comparison. He's got a lot of catching up to do!

D'oh! Forgot to add photo.

This message was edited Dec 3, 2009 5:13 PM
pauliewalnuts
Fife
United Kingdom

December 3, 2009
4:14 PM

Post #7331497

Here it is...

Thumbnail by pauliewalnuts
Click the image for an enlarged view.

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 3, 2009
4:20 PM

Post #7331520

Wowsers! Now that's a stunningly beautiful Monster Monstera! Great growing!
pauliewalnuts
Fife
United Kingdom

December 3, 2009
4:48 PM

Post #7331599

Thanks, Lin. Wish I could take all the credit but it was pretty big when I bought it. Still, it does seem to be thriving and I hope the variegated one does as well.
3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

December 3, 2009
5:31 PM

Post #7331732

Brasil looks really good, too :). They look like happy plants, but I can see why you are calling the variegated shrimpy, lol. It'll grow :).
pauliewalnuts
Fife
United Kingdom

December 3, 2009
5:40 PM

Post #7331747

Don't know what to do about Brasil. It is outgrowing its moss pole so I'm undecided on whether to lengthen the moss pole (may look silly having a very tall plant with such a small leaves), pinch out growing tips to make it bushier or just let the top half hang down (half climbing/half trailing plant, this may look silly too). Any suggestions welcome.

This message was edited Dec 3, 2009 8:27 PM
3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

December 3, 2009
5:58 PM

Post #7331787

I think as they reach the top, you can cut them back like maybe a foot, it would encourage back branching, and still look sort of natural. You should root the cuttings, of course. Maybe you can sell or give as Christmas presents. Or else go find a big branch outdoors and increase the height... :). Or plant it with a big living tree, like ficus benjamina. It would be funny to plant it with an artificial tree, lol. Ok, so really I'm no help, but I had fun...
pauliewalnuts
Fife
United Kingdom

December 3, 2009
7:19 PM

Post #7331938

Maybe I'll just stick a fairy on top and call it my Xmas tree. Seriously though, I like the idea of planting it with something else, like a Ficus, maybe a large Schefflera. Something to think about come repotting time.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 3, 2009
10:25 PM

Post #7332463

Your Philo 'Brasil' sure looks like a very happy and healthy plant! I'm not sure, but I think it is like Potho's and some other types of Aroids, the taller/higher up it gets in the trees, the larger the leaves will get. You could always let it trail back down and then back up again ... does that make sense? Let it climb until it reaches the top of the totem, then as the vines get longer let them hang back down until they reach the bottom, then train them back up by tying them to the stems that are already attached and climbing the totem. I don't have a clue as to whether that would work or not, or how it would look ... a fat plant!?! Or, you could clip the excess stems and root them for new plants. I like the idea of it climbing up another tree but I just wonder if it would strangle out the host tree by blocking the light as it grew and got thicker?

daisylovn
(Tracey) Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2009
6:11 PM

Post #7335046

Wow! I sure wish my Brasil looked like that.. How long have you had it and how big was it when you got it?
pauliewalnuts
Fife
United Kingdom

December 4, 2009
7:35 PM

Post #7335284

This is the only 'Brasil' that I could find to buy and it comes as a standard 1.2m. It has maybe grown about 6 inches since I bought it 3 or 4 weeks ago. So, it only looks so nice because I've not had it that long!
3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

December 4, 2009
7:39 PM

Post #7335303

What would happen with a vining type if you wound it gradually up, and around a grape vine tree or something similar? Would you be able to trick it into thinking it's 100 feet high? Would the leaves stay small or would they do the "BIG" thing? I'll have to see if I can try it unless someone already knows.
daisylovn
(Tracey) Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2009
7:52 PM

Post #7335329

OMG Paulie,, that is funny. I didn't realize you just bought it too. Did you also get it on eBay?
pauliewalnuts
Fife
United Kingdom

December 4, 2009
8:01 PM

Post #7335351

I didn't buy it on eBay, there are a couple of decent online plant shops in the UK where I get most of my plants. The only plants I've bought on eBay have been a Schefflera, variegated Monstera and today I just received a small Begonia 'Escargot'. There just isn't the choice here which I imagine you have in the US.
daisylovn
(Tracey) Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2009
8:38 PM

Post #7335425

Was it pricey since it is that large and beautiful?
pauliewalnuts
Fife
United Kingdom

December 5, 2009
6:37 AM

Post #7337150

To be honest, most plants here are relatively expensive compared to what you would pay in the US (like almost everything else!). The 'Brasil' was 45, don't know what that is in dollars, but it is fairly expensive in my opinion. Like I said before though, I couldn't find it to buy anywhere else. You wouldn't believe how limited the choice of plants are in shops and garden centres here, just the same, familiar plants sold everywhere (at least in my part of the UK). I'm guessing that you have a lot more places to buy a wider selection of plants. I've seen loads of plants I would love to buy on this site and in books but have never come across them in shops or on the net to buy - Caladium, Ceropegia, Adenium (actually I found a website selling them for about 70 each!) etc. Even eBay is quite limited in its choice. I've seen plants being sold from abroad but I'm unsure about import laws and whether these plants are actually being grown in nurseries or being collected from the wild illegally. So, I'm stuck with paying higher prices if I want nicer, less common plants but it's worth it for the pleasure and satisfaction they give, isn't it?
trinawitch
Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2009
7:31 AM

Post #7337197

that's about $90 US that you paid for your brasil in case anyone was actually wondering...about the same maybe less, maybe a little more than what we would pay for the same size plant here in the US
pauliewalnuts
Fife
United Kingdom

December 5, 2009
11:57 AM

Post #7337336

That's a surprise. I would have guessed that house plants would be a lot less expensive in the US, for some reason. It does seem a lot of money but I suppose if it's going to last for several years then it's worth it.
daisylovn
(Tracey) Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2009
2:20 PM

Post #7337586

Paulie,

It can get really expensive here, depending on the size of your purchase.. I realize you don't really have this option with many plants, but you will find that is why many of us (at least I do) buy less mature plants at a less expensive cost, because we have a good idea we can keep it alive to see it thrive as a mature "adult". -- On rare ocassion I will pay high dollar for a plant that I have had a hard time finding (as you did), or just "gotta have it".. : )

That is also why there is a whole lot of trading going on here at DG. I love this site.
pauliewalnuts
Fife
United Kingdom

December 5, 2009
3:13 PM

Post #7337741

Daisy, I definitely buy less mature plants when I can but often there is only one, large size available. I think you will have more choice where you live because a lot of house plants can be grown outside also in the US, so there is probably a larger market for them and so, more choice. Hardly any house plants are suitable for outside use here, so they are very much a 'niche' market (I'd guess that most people in the UK have only one or two house plants, if any). I'll need to see if there are any for trade in the UK/Europe on D.G.
trinawitch
Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2009
3:42 PM

Post #7337841

well paulie plants we would have a hard time sending you but seeds for plants is a different story...and trust me we still have to search for houseplants, but then again I grow things as houseplants that 1. are NOT normal houseplants and 2. usually never hardy in my zone...but I'm an oddball, I mean who else do you know grows night blooming jasmine next to Philo Brasil in thier bedroom? LOL
daisylovn
(Tracey) Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 6, 2009
2:22 AM

Post #7340161

Paulie, I completely understand your problem. : ) Trina has a very good point. If there is something that you would like seeds ARE something we can mail to you. Let us know if we can help you find something... If we don't have the seeds we can certainly shop around for some. I'm happy to help you.
trinawitch
Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2009
2:28 AM

Post #7340182

like Philo selloum...I just bought some seeds of...yeah it takes longer from seed but the satisfaction of growing it HUGE from start to finish is awesome!
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 6, 2009
2:38 AM

Post #7340234

I'm pretty sure the rules/regulations for shipping seeds to another country are not as complicated as for live plants where you need to purchase a phytosanitary certificate and have to fill out different forms.

There might be some types of seeds not allowed in some countries but I would think most house plants would be acceptable if the package and seeds are properly labeled. I found this info at the seed trading forum:

http://davesgarden.com/tools/trading_primer/5/
trinawitch
Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2009
2:44 AM

Post #7340251

uhg...why do I bother going to the passie forum anymore? think I'm the only one who posts there any more sometimes, I know there are people with waaaay more experience with these but it seems I'm the only weirdo who grows them in the house!

yeah if we knew what plants specifically she was looking for we could check to see what the rules are, I know the UK isn't nearly as strict as Australia is!
pauliewalnuts
Fife
United Kingdom

December 6, 2009
8:19 AM

Post #7340857

You're all very kind and thoughtful, I will definitely take you up on the seeds offer when the time comes for planting. Hopefully there are some things that I can offer in exchange which would be difficult to find in the US. I'm unsure on import regulations, I bought some Billergia offshoots from Portugal and there was no problem, as it's in the EU but coming from outside the EU, I'm not so sure. The UK seems to have a reputation for red tape and pernickety regulations. Talking of seeds, I was going to plant some Citrus seeds as I have some large, sunny windowsills which would be ideal for orange and lemon trees, can I plant them now or do I have to wait for spring/summer?
trinawitch
Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2009
9:12 AM

Post #7340884

plant them now, that way by spring or summer they will be big enough to go outside if you so choose
pauliewalnuts
Fife
United Kingdom

December 6, 2009
9:14 AM

Post #7340886

Thanks, Trina. I'm just going out to the DIY store to pick up some drip trays and plant labels, I'll see if I can find some seed compost while I'm there.
pauliewalnuts
Fife
United Kingdom

December 6, 2009
9:26 AM

Post #7340895

You guys are a bad influence on me. You got me all worked up about growing from seed, so I ordered a cacti seed collection online. I'll keep you posted on their development once they are "up and running".
daisylovn
(Tracey) Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 6, 2009
1:10 PM

Post #7341035

LOL!!! It seems we are all "bad influences" around here... Feeding each others addiction.. : )
trinawitch
Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2009
2:25 PM

Post #7341164

Yeah but I think I got everyone beat on the 'addiction' part! LOL
pauliewalnuts
Fife
United Kingdom

December 6, 2009
3:17 PM

Post #7341291

There are definitely bigger plant addicts on here than me but hopefully I'm catching up with you all. Yesterday I received and potted up 4 Billbergia offshoots and over a dozen small cacti and succulents and bought Callisia and Monstera obliqua cuttings on eBay. Today I bought a small Dracaena marginata tricolour (1.99, bargain!), planted some orange and lemon seeds and ordered a bunch of Desert Rose seeds, cactus seeds and a Ceropegia lenearis woodii.
trinawitch
Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2009
3:43 PM

Post #7341348

I bought 60 orchids on ebay, now how do I tell my hubby? LOL
daisylovn
(Tracey) Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 6, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #7341459

Trina, Where are earth will you put 60 orchids...

Here is how you will tell him.. "Honey, I bought 60 orchids on ebay.. and I just want to remind you that the cost doesn't even come close to your car parts!!!" : )

pauliewalnuts
Fife
United Kingdom

December 6, 2009
4:53 PM

Post #7341546

Trina, you're right. You have got everyone beat on the plant addiction.
trinawitch
Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2009
5:45 PM

Post #7341714

hey all of them for $100 I don't know where else to get them that cheap do you...besides he's never home when the mail comes so hiding 60 orchids amongst the 1500 house plants I already have won't be that hard to pull off ...LOL
pauliewalnuts
Fife
United Kingdom

December 6, 2009
6:23 PM

Post #7341797

1500? Is that a typo? lol
daisylovn
(Tracey) Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 6, 2009
7:03 PM

Post #7341921

Paulie,

LOL, I seriously doubt its a typo... If it was it was probably an intentional typo. She has LOTS and LOTS of plants. She has posted pics here and they are ALL over her house..
daisylovn
(Tracey) Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 6, 2009
7:06 PM

Post #7341931

Trina,

I know I would just love it... but do your hubby and kids have any opposition to your having plants absolutely everywhere?
pauliewalnuts
Fife
United Kingdom

December 6, 2009
7:32 PM

Post #7342004

and how long has it taken to build up a collection of 1500 plants?
trinawitch
Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2009
10:54 PM

Post #7342562

No that is not a typo and 1500 is only how many POTS there are some are mixed planters I potted up with like 10 different plants in them...and they don't get to complain, my plants don't take up as much room as thier goofy cars...and trust me they have a lot of cars!
19lisa65
Ozark, AL
(Zone 8a)

December 17, 2009
10:20 AM

Post #7376352

I too, recently bought a variegated monstera from ebay. When it arrived there was a small plant with 2 leaves and what I would call a cutting with 3 leaves. The cutting had some aerial roots but no ground roots. The leaves on that one died and I have since just laid the cutting on top of the soil with the aerial roots in the soil hoping it will live. I have been babying it since it came in.
19lisa65
Ozark, AL
(Zone 8a)

December 17, 2009
10:27 AM

Post #7376361

Hey Trina!

I just bought some night blooming jasmine, winter jasmine, and a vanilla planifolia for indoor plants. I must be crazy too! I am guessing that the vanilla will eventually make it outside. However, I am shopping for some poet's jasmine for inside too! It will save money on plug in air fresheners! LOL
3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

December 17, 2009
9:17 PM

Post #7377782

Good luck on your cutting. It would be nice if it rooted out and you got 2 plants :).
trinawitch
Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 17, 2009
11:34 PM

Post #7378164

LOL on the plug ins joke...that was good...vanilla...Like the type you get vanilla beans from?
19lisa65
Ozark, AL
(Zone 8a)

December 18, 2009
1:29 PM

Post #7379505

Yep! The kind you get vanilla beans from. My grandson keeps removing the stakes! For some reason I like trailing plants. I have lots of jasmine outside and need to get trellises. I have some confederate jasmine out back against my house and it started creeping through my window where I have a window AC unit in my utility room!
trinawitch
Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 18, 2009
9:04 PM

Post #7380575

hhhmmm I always thought vanilla beans came from a certain orchid but who knows...I love trailers too, especially Jasmine so I have to grow it in the house cause it won't survive our winters
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 18, 2009
10:04 PM

Post #7380678

Trina: Vanilla planifolia is in the Orchidaceae family: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanilla_planifolia

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1214/

The vanilla orchid bean is the primary source of vanilla extract/flavoring!

I received a little cutting in a trade a few years back but it didn't survive. :( One of these days I will try again.
trinawitch
Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 18, 2009
10:34 PM

Post #7380747

I see said the blind man! LOL
DroooL
Paragould, AR

August 7, 2011
12:49 PM

Post #8742275

[quote="pauliewalnuts"]Here it is...[/quote]

Hi! In your message titled "here it is" that shows the photo of your new baby variagated Monstera I was wondering if you could tell me the latin name of the plant on the far left of the photo. It looks like a type of Philodendron and in the photo it looks like it has a single stripe of different color down the center of the leaves. Please tell me exactly what that is. thanks so much.

Lisa

candles4u
Mount Vernon, IL

August 8, 2011
9:33 PM

Post #8745753

I hope I can join?! I have a few monsteras too, solid green and albo and veri yellow! My yellow is huge, its in a 26 inch pot and its almost 6ft wide and 4 tall! I've only had it 6 months and the biggest leaf is 22 inches wide, my albo grows so slow but its beautiful, it will adjust to the light you give it, and don't give it high nitrogen fertilizer it will turn all green:( my solid green is still a baby! My daughter counted my pots, she quit counting at 200, sigh! My name is Crystal and I've been keeping plants for too long to count, someone should start Plant Hoarder's Anonymous, it would be the biggest chat on DG!

RachelLF

RachelLF

August 11, 2011
7:55 PM

Post #8751336

DroooL (Lisa), the plant you asked about is commonly called and sold as Philodendron Brasil.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America