Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Recipes: SNACK MUSTARD Part 2

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 54, Views: 811
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2009
5:19 AM

Post #7320650

The Snack Mustard and so so so Much More Thread got very long. We came from here.
Linda

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1026160/

This message was edited Nov 30, 2009 2:33 PM
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2009
7:30 PM

Post #7322494

Figured I'd better come over here and post so I could get all the updates.
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

November 30, 2009
7:40 PM

Post #7322514

me too

Lavina
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2009
7:44 PM

Post #7322522

Great minds think alike. LOL
MichaelZ
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 30, 2009
8:00 PM

Post #7322552

I wonder if a different flour could be used in this. If it is just being used as a thickener I am thinking rice flour or even potato starch (not as much) might work. Got that wheat gluten intolerance celiac sprue disease goin' on. Any suggestions?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2009
8:30 PM

Post #7322636

Try using the CLEAR JEL instead of flour. I understand the mustard comes out a pretty clear color, not opaque from the flour...

Linda
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

November 30, 2009
11:56 PM

Post #7323281

Ok I made this this afternoon and so far I like it. It's not something I could eat on just anything, but delicious on smoked sausage, steamed carrots, shrimp egg rolls and rice so far.
My son ate it too.
I will probably find him in the kitchen drinking a jar before too long!
I just made half a batch, used cider vinegar and jalepenos and some sweet peppers. I also added some red onion.
Was VERY good, I think my dh will LOVE it!

planolinda
Plano, TX

December 1, 2009
12:05 AM

Post #7323315

did the red onion add something to the flavor--has anyone else used onion?
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 1, 2009
12:17 AM

Post #7323358

well I didn't make it withOUT the onion, so I don't have anything to compare it to.
But in this house onion goes in most anything :)
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 1, 2009
12:19 AM

Post #7323367

Mine too along with garlic.

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2009
12:45 AM

Post #7323454

Posting...Want to read it all. LOL

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2009
5:31 PM

Post #7325276

That's exactly why I have to find out how to grow my own ONIONS. They go in just about every meal I cook!
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 1, 2009
6:01 PM

Post #7325372

maybe cornstarch or, um is it arrowroot ? could be used to thicken it.
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

December 1, 2009
7:02 PM

Post #7325529

Gymgirl
Get 50 gal barrel cut into. Fill both with good dirt. Order onion sets (make sure they are good onions ) for 1 barrel and garlic for the other water and watch them grow.

Lavina
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 1, 2009
7:51 PM

Post #7325670

I have winter onions growing.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2009
8:17 PM

Post #7325749

I actually have fresh seeds for Candy Onions. The weather here has been pukey, and Thanksgiving weekend was my weekend to have planted a bunch of seeds. Hope this weekend is better, although we're expecting a drop into the high 30s this Friday night...

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2009
5:53 PM

Post #7328638

Just a note that sprinkling a bit of salt on the Snack Mustard does seem to cut the TANG! It's still great, just less of a bite to it! Thanks for that tip!

Linda
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 2, 2009
7:15 PM

Post #7328897

I've been watching y'all have fun with this for the past few weeks. I have never been a big mustard fan until recently when I found honey mustard salad dressing. I also am a wuss when it comes to peppers. So I made a few adjustments to the recipe yesterday and made up a double batch.

This was my recipe:
6 huge banana peppers (fresh)
2 medium green bell peppers (fresh)
1 red bell pepper (fresh)
1/2 cup jarred sliced jalepenos
2 TBSP Salt
2 20 oz. containers of cheapo mustard
2 cups flour
3 cups water
1 qt. apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cup Black Fig Vinegar
3/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
10 Cups Sugar
1 Cup King Syrup (Thick like Karo Syrup)

2 packages of 8 oz. jars (12 to package)

I ended up with one empty jar left.

Originally I didn't add the syrup. My family usually thinks anything I cook from a recipe is too sweet so I left out 2 cups of the sugar. When I got ready to can the second package of the mustard, I happened to lick some of it off my finger and evidently got a big taste of the jalepeno, so I added the syrup in to try and cut a bit of the hot. Fortunately, the packages of jars were different so I know now which is the "hotter" of the mustard and which is more the "wusstard" :-)

No one bothered to mention how sticky this stuff was. It could be the syrup I added so I'll forgive y'all for that oversight. For someone that's never done any canning, it was fun and made the house smell awesome. I was pleased to hear all that popping as the seals did their thing.

So far, I've eaten a half a bag of preztles from the dollar store (by myself with 1/3 of a jar) and a ham sandwich on toasted sourdough using this mustard. I'll be trying it on anything else I can think of. My hubby that never comments on anything loved it. He even took a jar to each of the guys he's working with today. That says ALOT around here. When he left to go back to work he asked me to text him the ingredients because he said all the guys will want to know what's in it.

Thanks Dave for the inspiration for this mustard/wusstard. I'm glad I tried it.

Janet

This message was edited Dec 2, 2009 1:17 PM
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 2, 2009
7:25 PM

Post #7328937

Oh, and I almost forgot. I was putting a roast into the oven when I was waiting for the mustard to simmer. I put a scoop or two on the roast and the roast turned out fabulous. That was probably enough to have made that last jar.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2009
7:51 PM

Post #7329106

Uni,
Next time, BRINE the roast first, THEN put that mustard on it! Wow!
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 2, 2009
8:03 PM

Post #7329141

Make a 'virtual' gift basket w/ Dave's snack mustard the star item!? Idea's?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2009
8:13 PM

Post #7329177

Anastatia,
What "VIRTUAL??!!" I want the real thing!!!
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 2, 2009
9:16 PM

Post #7329331

I knew if I asked for the real thing none of you would ship me the big basket full of stuff. So I am settling for a virtual and will make my list from there. If you want something done you better do it yourself!!!!! 1. Dave's snack mustard 2. chunk of summer sausage 3. big fat pretzels 4. ?????

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

December 8, 2009
8:15 PM

Post #7349327

I just made the best ham salad I have ever tasted in my life using this snack mustard recipe! I believe I'll have to make still yet another batch of the stuff, since I'm finding so much to use it for!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

December 8, 2009
9:52 PM

Post #7349602

I've been slathering mine on pork chops & steaks. And, oh yeah, my OWN ham sandwich! ^^_^^_^^_^^
planolinda
Plano, TX

December 12, 2009
8:22 PM

Post #7362355

just made my second batch
remember the line in the recipe where it tells to SLOWLY add the flour/water mix?
well there is a very good reason for that--mine is a little lumpy this time--but not to worry--it tastes great and i will pretend the little white clumps are an important part of the recipe! like a secret ingredient?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2009
3:12 AM

Post #7363422

Linda you are so funny. That is a thickener. That is why you put it in slowly, and that is why it lumps if you put it in too fast. LOL Let's see, what could we call those little lumps? Are there very many of them? Can't think of a white spice - - - -how about a pepper corn? There are all different colors of those. Even pinkish. Then someone might pick one out to taste it individually and find out what it is!!! rotflol
planolinda
Plano, TX

December 13, 2009
3:34 PM

Post #7364396

not so many and very tiny thank goodness!
they are the size of a white peppercorn (or even smaller)
an exotic mustard seed? --no not that tiny--but then if it is an exotic new mustard seed it can be any size i guess--

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2009
4:05 PM

Post #7364476

LOLOL, y'all are funny!

If you pour the lumpy snack mustard over a block of softened cream cheese and serve with crackers, no one will ever know about the exotic peppercorn lumps!
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #7364522

You know, I make really good gravy. But, it is difficult when you don't get the flour and water mixed real good. So, I have quit being so lazy and pull out the blender to mix the flour and water. Even using a fruit jar instead of the blender bowl, which is more work to clean, makes it better. Just use the blades and screw on bottom of the blender on a fruit jar and putting that on the blender to mix the flour and water. That works the best and easiest.

Then add it SLOWLY. Think maybe Bev has the best idea.

OR, mine might be best for next time.

Jeanette
planolinda
Plano, TX

December 13, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #7364525

oh it will be so good over the cream cheese--i never have been a perfectionist--my motto is for things to be "good enough" !
planolinda
Plano, TX

December 13, 2009
4:23 PM

Post #7364532

jeanette i like your ideas--i have a bad habit of taking shortcuts and being in a hurry and it backfires sometimes!

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2009
4:25 PM

Post #7364537

I'm with Linda in the shortcut and hurry up mode of doing things! Then I spend extra time fixing what I mess up, so I don't save time at all. But as long as it taste good, they can close their eyes if it's rough looking, LOL.
planolinda
Plano, TX

December 13, 2009
4:38 PM

Post #7364579

yes! so right about ending up spending the "saved time" on fixing things!
but i know perfectionist who never even get started all conditions aren't perfect to get started--so i am always glad i am not a perfectionist--plus all the stress it must be!

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2009
5:59 PM

Post #7364804

Very true indeed!
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 13, 2009
9:36 PM

Post #7365424

Linda has sparkles/glitter in her snack mustard.
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 14, 2010
11:27 AM

Post #7705316

Linda, try substituting rice wine vinegar for half of the cider vinegar for a milder mustard. Then maybe use cider in place of the water to compensate for the apple taste.

Jen, do you ever use Wondra Flour for making gravies? It does not lump. You don't even have to mix it with water. Wondra is one of those ingredients I always have on hand just for making gravy. Kitchen Bouquet is another staple for gravies and sauces. I love good gravy--would love to taste yours. I know it's off-topic, but please share any gravy-making tips you have.

Pen
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2010
11:44 AM

Post #7705365

Pen, were you the one that dircted me eto Penzey's spices I got their catalog and everything looks so good. The spices are pricey but then they are everywhere and if you know there is a turnover so they aren't just sitting losing their strength then they are worth it.

I have decided to buy the spices I use the most of from them, and then I am going to get together with my sister and pick the ones that we use "sometimes" or a little more often and share them with her. Go in together and split them. That way maybe they won't sit and lose their strength in my cupboard, and will save money too.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2010
6:40 PM

Post #7706262

Pen--

Here's a tip on what makes a good gravy even better...Been doing this all my life!

Make your gravy (any gravy) the way you usually do. When it is done and you turn off the fire--mix in a GLOB of good Sour Cream. NOT light or fat-free!
You should, probably remove a half cup or more of the hot gravy and let it cool a bit and then mix the Sour Cream into that---and then return it all to the hot gravy--otherwise you will have little clumps of S.C. floating around.
IF you allow the gravy to cool a bit in the pan you made it--you can probably get away with whisking it all in there until it is all incorporated...

Maybe--if this seems alien to you--try it on part of the gravy and compare taste. I would suggest approx. 2 full, reg. Tbs. of S.C. to a pan-full of gravy. SOOOO good!

Please let me know how you liked it! Gita
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2010
6:49 PM

Post #7706292

No kidding!! Gita I am going to try this if I can remember it. I make gravy so seldom but when I do I want good gravy. That is why I don't order biscuits and gravy in restaurants any more. Because they all use that canned gravy now. Makes me mad.

I will have to make some gravy in the next couple of days just to try it. Does it work for any gravy? For instance, I don't make gravy from roast beef the same as I do for biscuits and gravy, or chicken and mashed potatoes.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2010
6:58 PM

Post #7706317

I use this on ALL my gravies...It adds a whole new dimension to it.

Pf course--I am assuming that your gravy will start with pan drippings, and a lot of fat--and onion powder and some herbs in it---thickened from rue or with some flour. NOT some watered down version...

I do not eat, or make, biscuits--so i cannot comment on this...BUT--Beef, Chicken, Turkey (YUM), Pork--any and all!
NOW--I am sure you get the idea that i like Sour Cream a lot. Try this--PROMISE? Take a half a tsp of S.C. and dip it in sugar--and then eat it...it is like desert!!!!!

I know you will love it! it seems to be a European thing--and i am from Northern Europe (Latvia)...

Gita
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2010
7:10 PM

Post #7706347

Ok, you have me hooked. Yes, pan drippings. Anything else would be a white sauce to me, not gravy. Why is it so popular in Europe? And how in the world did you end up here in MD?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2010
8:17 PM

Post #7706495

Jnette,

I think I/we have digressed enough on this Thread...
I don't mind talking about the "Why" and the "When"----but I just think some folks would get a bit antsy as this IS the Snack Mustard thread---which I REALLY wanted to make last X-Mas--but have not yet gotten to...

I was going to do it last X-mas and give it as gifts to all my Nieces...Never got around to it...

I DID do the "Indian Pickle" and my home-made Fig jam--as well as my "famous" (tee..heee...) Cranberry sauce...

Home made things are SO wanted! I hope everyone tries something in this category!

Gita
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2010
8:25 PM

Post #7706510

Think we all try a lot of different things Gita. I might add that we are now growing certain peppers that they use in the carribean. I am waiting for the seeds to plant. I am growing a new one for, I think, the habanero jelly. It is suppose to be a hot, but sweet, pepper that looks like a habanero. These things are fun.
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 15, 2010
9:18 AM

Post #7707457

Jen, will be interesting to try your new peppers in Dave's Mustard--hot and sweet should be perfect.

Glad you tried Penzey's and good that you have a sister to share with. I especially like their chili seasonings. I keep many of my herbs/spices in the freezer. I keep some of their catalogs on hand for the recipes, but I haven't tried any yet.

Gita, I have heard about the sc addition to gravies but I had forgotten. I will try for sure.

Pen

LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2010
10:44 AM

Post #7707725

Gitagal I need some of your home recipes.
I use can gravy and sometimes the jar gravy and add the sour cream , it almost taste home made just by doing that .

Lavina

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2010
12:29 PM

Post #7707942

We just finished the last of my second batch and I'm whining. I am going to try clear jel next time and I bet it won't separate in the jar then---'course it's not hard to stir it but it will look better when you give it away.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2010
3:24 PM

Post #7708273

Lavina--

What are you most interested in? I make a lot of soups...and my cooking is, basically, "down home"...

I am not a person who cooks by recipes and amounts...but I DO use them as guidelines.
I just do what seems right to me...a bit of this and that...I seldom follow a recipe as it is written...
Just my rebellious nature! "DON'T tell ME how to do something!!!!! I will do it MY way!!!!"

What can I help you with? Nothing gourmet here...but to me, the way I cook is always down country "gourmet"...

Just me here anyway---if I cook something good--I eat it for a week and get sick of eating it...

Gita
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2010
9:50 AM

Post #7718200

Anything good would be fine.
I love other county's recipes and love meat recipes.

Lavina

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2012
9:07 PM

Post #9235123

---Bump---

I like to never have found the original thread...I tagged it this time!

Let the hot pepper mustard-making begin again this year!!!
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

August 9, 2012
3:59 AM

Post #9235256

I did the original recipe and it is great, I will try the one on this thread as soon as I can find Fig Vinegar. Love the stuff.

Lavina

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9235463

THANKS FOR THE BUMP!

I hope to make this for Christmas stocking stuffers. The first year I tried it at the Thanksgiving table. I knew it was a hit when I noticed the brothers-in-law were sort of huddling over the bowl with their pretzels and crouched over it like a tiger protecting her kill!

Great Stuff!

Linda

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9236000

I made a half recipe the other day. Forgot how good it is. Now i wish I had made the whole amount.
I sauted chicken breast tenders the other night and spooned a little on each one after I turned them. Really good.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 12, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9272871

Stir , stir , stir .

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9272959

Try it on a broiled steak! Wonderful!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America