Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beauty and Fashion Tips: Finding Shoes that fit

Communities > Forums > Beauty and Fashion Tips
bookmark
Forum: Beauty and Fashion TipsReplies: 17, Views: 120
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

November 30, 2009
5:57 PM

Post #7322223

Well in a nut shell - nothing fits.
I am looking for a dress shoe, preferably leather, black and a small heel.
I found some I liked but they only make a 6 and a 7 and I really need the half size. The shoe fits great in the toes, but it slips on the heel. Basically I have wide feet but narrow heels.
Is there anything I can buy to adjust the heel size? I am thinking some kind of insert?
Any ideas? I just wondered if anyone had used something like that and what you think of it and if it is comfortable to you and such.
thanks.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 2, 2009
4:03 AM

Post #7327204

I have the same problem, Lily, wide forefoot, narrow heels. I put several layers of moleskin (padding made by Dr. Scholl, sold near arch supports in stores) in the heel, and it helps, though it can stick to pantyhose if the edges peel up.
I like to say that if I ever hit the lottery, I'm having plastic surgery on my feet!
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2009
4:08 AM

Post #7327223

well I tried some surgery on my feet and it was a total failure.
Terribly painful, hurt for a couple years, nightmare with the insurance paying, and then had to switch drs. The new dr says the implant wasn't put in right to begin with. That explains why it didn't work, and why it hurt all the time.
Glad I got it out.
Kalix implant, to 'fix' flat feet.
Well have you tried gluing it in with something like super glue or craft cement glue or similar?
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 2, 2009
5:17 AM

Post #7327398

Nope, I've just used the adhesive on that comes on the back of it. Sometimes the edges come up from your foot brushing against it on the way in and out of the shoe. Gluing those loose edges down may work, I'll try it, thanks!
Ouch, that surgery sounds incredibly painful. I sure hope your feet don't hurt from it anymore.
I have high arches, though, and have been known to build up insufficient arch supports with moleskin, too.
I'll never understand why women insist on wearing high heels...such torture devices should be illegal!
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2009
5:22 AM

Post #7327408

along with bras lol

I asked my dh, would you wear 'supportive' underwear lined with WIRE?!
HE is not even a brave enough man for THAT lol

no, my feet still hurt all the time.
One thing I did do that was WONDERFUL, I had the dr cast my foot in plaster, he sent it to some kind of lab where they made me a pair of custom inserts for my shoes. felt like Heaven lol
But I threw them out when they got worn out and I did the surgery and so far haven't went back again. That was just a year ago. My insurance paid for the inserts, sort of, they were applied to deductible. So really I still paid for them. I think they were about $400 dollars for the pair. They may be cheaper now, that was 5 years ago or so.

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 2, 2009
5:24 AM

Post #7327415

I did that, too, over 20 years ago, though, and threw them out just a couple years ago. I figure that, with getting older and gaining a lot of weight, my feet are different now anyway.
You poor thing, I hope you find relief somehow! I am not on my feet all day, but suffered when I was.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2009
5:29 AM

Post #7327429

Yes every few years your feet do change so the inserts have to be redone.
I wore mine in the garden, so they wore out pretty fast. But that is where I needed them the most.
They probably have a lot more options now than when you got yours.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

January 1, 2010
5:12 AM

Post #7415478

Well, you ought to have a size 5 or 5-1/2 foot! It's impossible to find shoes anymore unless you order on-line ... and I do so love to try on before I buy!

Aren't the shoes horrid these days? Who are they making them for anyway?
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2010
8:15 PM

Post #7417236

Oh, I know, not for humans, lol. I've been looking for hiking boots to fit my 'Flintstone feet', lol, and no luck. However, before I put on these last 50 pounds, I only wore a single-wide, so that is my goal this year, to lose that so I don't have to wear double-wides anymore, LOL. Should be at least a little easier to find!
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 5, 2010
2:32 AM

Post #7428975

I have bought several shoes online at shoes.com. They pay postage both ways. When you order them and if you have to send them back. I have done that several times, but mostly I have loved them. The only thing I don't like about them is they have too many shoes to dhoose from!
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

January 5, 2010
3:52 AM

Post #7429250

Wow, that's great to know! Thanks!
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 5, 2010
4:15 AM

Post #7429324

U R welcome! If I remember correctly there is also a bags.com
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 5, 2010
5:34 AM

Post #7429494

I found a site that specializes in wide feet--they even have hiking boots!

http://www.justwideshoes.com/
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 5, 2010
5:57 AM

Post #7429524

well my trouble is not that my foot is wide, which it is in the toes, but my heel is narrow and then everything feels tight in front, and too big in the back :)
Went to walmart to look for some snow boots, and they were putting out summer shorts already
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 5, 2010
6:25 AM

Post #7429555

Yep, I almost always have to pad the heel so it's not too loose, too. Sometimes, if I'm lucky, I can fit in boys' boots. They're cheaper.
Noooo, shorts already in Missouri?? LOL
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 5, 2010
3:42 PM

Post #7430328

Yeah it was -4 F here last night, went in a couple days ago for snow boots, and they only have a few pair left, none my size, The lady was putting some shorts out on a rack and I asked her if they would be getting in any more snow boots. She said probably not, but she didn't know because she 'just unloads the boxes'.
good grief.
no ski masks either, like the ones that cover your face and neck.
Also out of the dog feed I was needing.
well, that is about the only place to shop here, so not much choice.
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2010
12:44 AM

Post #7449974

FrillyLily, they have heel savers - I have bought them but mostly I get them at a good shoe store. They are shaped to fit at the back of the heel. I recently bought Easy Spirit Anti-gravity shoes. The clogs - Genius are just too comfy. I realize they aren't dress shoes - I really wish they had matched the stitching to the color of the shoe. When I got them I put them on and off I went. I also bought a pair of sandals but need them in a wide. We have an Easy Spirit store in the mall close by but I have never found a pair of shoes I wanted in there.
http://www.easyspirit.com/Anti-Gravity/50293106,default,sc.html
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2010
3:01 AM

Post #7450322

Our Easy Spirit store in the local mall closed up shop. I was disappointed, but some of the bigger dept. stores carry a few of their styles.
Unbelievably, I finally found a pair of snow boots that fit! Kohl's had one pair left, and they're a fleece-lined 'duck' style, with the green rubber shoe part and brown leather top. They aren't even a Wide, just 7M, but since those run wide, they work for me!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beauty and Fashion Tips Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
mascara doghouse 22 Apr 10, 2009 1:15 AM
What base foundation do you use? konkreteblond 38 Jul 11, 2008 5:18 PM
Fine hair, help please! IO1 89 Dec 12, 2010 5:00 AM
Not meant to be ? renwings 34 May 13, 2009 10:08 PM
imitation diamond anastatia 12 Jan 8, 2009 7:51 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America