Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Mycorrhizae - Optimizing the Roots of Your Plants: Orchid Fungi & Physan 20

Communities > Forums > Article: Mycorrhizae - Optimizing the Roots of Your Plants
bookmark
Forum: Article: Mycorrhizae - Optimizing the Roots of Your PlantsReplies: 2, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kevlarster
Zelienople, sounds l, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 30, 2009
6:37 PM

Post #7322332

The 'Catch-All' fungicide Physan 20 is recommended for use on Orchids but will this harm the systemic fungi on their roots?

With Thanks,

Kevlar
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 30, 2009
7:15 PM

Post #7322444

Kevlar,

If Physan 20 is supposed to be toxic to all fungi, then I would suspect that it would be detrimental to the mycorrhizae as well. I'm pretty confident that fungicide manufacturers do not consider possible effects on mycorrhizae when they are developing and testing their products.

LariAnn
kentepoz
Malinalco
Mexico

February 11, 2013
4:55 PM

Post #9415967

I am not a scientist as LariAnn is, but I would suggest you google info on fungicides that are compatible with beneficial microorganisms such as the Trichodermas and mycorrhizae (I've seen lists on the Plant Health Care sites here in Mexico). Using these beneficials as preventatives as LariAnn suggests, is good practice and if you already have an infection in your your plants, find out what pathogen you're treating (gardening and orchid forums often can help out or your local nursery or biology dept. in a local university) and use a specific fungicide that won't affect the beneficials. I would suspect as LariAnn, that wide spectrum fungicides such as Pysan 20 and Benlate are deadly to these funghi.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Mycorrhizae - Optimizing the Roots of Your Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Good article doccat5 5 Feb 9, 2010 5:59 AM
Orchids rosa18 2 Feb 13, 2008 4:14 PM
possible purchase dbsmith2 2 Feb 13, 2008 6:42 PM
T-22 fungus Indy 1 Feb 14, 2008 12:14 AM
Bio-tone ?? esteve59 3 Apr 27, 2009 9:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America