Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Lancemg
Aylett, VA

November 30, 2009
10:05 PM

Post #7322863

Waltham is about the only squash I can grow, mostly for the same problem as you mentioned: vine borers. These things are relentless, and I have given up on summer squash because I refuse to spray and pander to a plant. I give it good soil and growing conditions, it better do well. I also don't want my pets and son exposed to the various 'better living through chemistry' compounds that continuously are found to be detrimental in a variety of ways. I hope your family shares at least some of your enthusiasm for gardening, it sounds like a fun place to grow up.
Since you like simple recipes, here is a very easy recipe, once you get the squash cooked: put the squash pieces into your bowl or on your plate, flavor with cardamom (another article), cinnamon, etc, put a little maple syrup or honey on it, and top with a tasty natural granola and some nuts (or whatever else you want). Beware - most granolas are not healthy, so check the ingredients first. This works well with a variety of foods, such as apples and sweet potatoes, as well. And you could probably do the same idea, but different flavors such as thyme, rosemary, and basil, wild rice, and olive or sesame oil, so everybody could make their own favorite combination.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2009
5:29 PM

Post #7325269

Hi Lancemg,
Thanks for your comments. I am with you on trying to stay away from the chemicals.
Your recipe sounds great--I love the crunch, as in the nut topping on a sweet potato dish I make. You mention cardamom, I think that's a flavor included in chai spice teas I now like--I can imagine it's very nice on the squash too.
Lancemg
Aylett, VA

December 1, 2009
6:34 PM

Post #7325452

Here is the link to this week's article on cardamom. I use it often for flavoring things like pancakes, french toast, hot cereal, and of course winter squash dishes.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/312/
I drive though your county on my way to visit my parents in Delaware. A visit on the way might be fun sometime, if you don't mind and are around.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 5, 2009
11:13 PM

Post #7339471

Thanks for the link, that is an interesting article. I have a turmeric, now I have to try growing cardamom! If the whole spice is just dried seeds, I might have a chance.
Hey, its hard to get from VA to Delaware without going thru this county! I'm sure you could share some interesting info. For sure check the MidAtlantic Forum for Swaps or get togethers, you are welcome even without swapping, just for hanging out.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Butternuts, by the bushel Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your recipes PLEASE! Liquidambar2 21 Sep 27, 2010 8:54 PM
butternut squash sunfarm 5 Apr 20, 2010 2:38 PM
Butternut UK Poppa39 3 Aug 7, 2010 10:05 AM
Peeling Tip jh4215 5 Feb 4, 2011 6:54 AM
cooking butternut squash MAINE_CAL 2 Dec 2, 2009 6:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America