Photo by Melody

Article: Making mincemeat out of green tomatoes: I'm going to try it!

Communities > Forums > Article: Making mincemeat out of green tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: Article: Making mincemeat out of green tomatoesReplies: 2, Views: 13
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jenbrink
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 1, 2009
2:14 AM

Post #7323736

I'm going to try it, but I think for next year, I already bagged up my greens and they are turning red. Only a few more left to go red. Even covering them up with plastic this year from the early frost. Too late. But, hopfully I will be alive next year and year after year, to make this.

I'm like the author, have never had fried green tomatoes, and most likely will never make.

Thank your Mother for me!! And I thank you for sharing this!!

I came from a family of eight and I myself, feed five and did all kinds of things with "left-over garden veggies" but never thought of this one!
Aunt_A

December 1, 2009
3:40 AM

Post #7323998

jenbrink,

Thanks for reading and commenting.

I have a watermelon rind pickle article out there as well. Have you ever tried them?

April
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 10, 2010
6:47 PM

Post #8149262

I have tried watermelon rind pickles long ago.
The lady that made them told me as I as tasting them that my tongue would slap my brain out eating them. She was right they were that good.

I do not use corn syrup - health reasons, but I do however cook with molasses occasionally.
I was wondering if I could change that part of the recipe?

I have worked hard to have tomatoes up untill frost - frost came four days ago and you will not believe this - but I have two tomato plants full of green tomotoes not touched!!!??? Oh everything else was touched and died but not these.

So I have plenty.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Making mincemeat out of green tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great Article! MitchF 3 Oct 20, 2008 11:49 PM
Made a copy... Sundownr 7 Dec 1, 2009 3:24 AM
Wonderful. Stephivicious 1 Oct 20, 2008 11:41 PM
Fabulicious! ACWinOH 3 Oct 23, 2008 2:50 PM
Green Tomato Mincemeat purplemomma 2 Nov 25, 2009 3:44 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America