Photo by Melody

Garden Hortiscopes & History: birth of the Mason Jar!

Communities > Forums > Garden Hortiscopes & History
bookmark
Forum: Garden Hortiscopes & HistoryReplies: 8, Views: 131
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kylaluaz
Clinton, WA
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2009
2:20 AM

Post #7323762

And to think, I almost missed looking at these history notes today! Wow... the jar is such a basic item, or rather the jar lid... gosh, how did people can fruits and vegetables before the Mason jar? Or, did they?

Anyway, cool history note, thanks history people! ;-)

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 1, 2009
2:17 PM

Post #7324766

Canning was possible. The old glass lids with the clamps were the earlier versions.
Kylaluaz
Clinton, WA
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2009
11:06 PM

Post #7326223

Oh right, of course! With those rubber seals.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 1, 2009
11:09 PM

Post #7326232

Yep...and the European Weck jars still operate that way. (I have a few of those too)
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 8, 2009
5:14 PM

Post #7348705

I luv old jars.
Kylaluaz
Clinton, WA
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2009
6:26 PM

Post #7349004

yes me too.

Heck, I guess they could can even before glass, using pottery and a wax stopper?

I have an old dark amber glass apothecary jar that was my dad's place to store his cigars! (I keep little tealight candles in it now.) It has words on it saying something about zinc unguent... and a glass top with a round knob.

Well, I went and took a picture of it to post, but no photos here I reckon... too bad, it was a nice picture. ;-)
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2011
11:22 AM

Post #8313576

Before they canned, they ate it fresh, dried, krauted, or whatever else was available in the good old days. They always had cabbage and collards growing, in addition to whatever else cool weather crops were available. I have heard old people talk about salting down green beans, sort of like kraut. A lot of old techniques were lost with the advent of refrigerators and freezers. The methods we have now-a-days are much better.

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

July 28, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9221859

I can remember my mom saying her folks kept milk in the well house (they had a windmill and overhead tank), and kept it cool in the water, before grandmother got one of those newfangled ice boxes. :) I thought people also used to can with tin cans, but my family didn't that I know of. I remember grandmother's shed being full of old rusted cans with the top and bottom taken off. She used them around plants to fend off cutworms (and I suspect sand storms) down in West Texas in her raised-bed gardens. She had the greenest thumb I've ever seen. She could grow anything, and she put it up in jars in the storm cellar. My mom inherited that green thumb, and I keep watching my thumb to see if it will turn as green as theirs, lol. :)

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9222166

My grandmother had a cellar too and the shelves were even carved out of the earth. It was so cool...(and creepy for a 5 year old)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Hortiscopes & History Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 21 Feb 6, 2009 4:39 AM
Wake Island OutsidePlaying 25 Jan 23, 2009 12:39 PM
Fanny Farmer!! threegardeners 31 Jul 25, 2009 12:58 PM
Tell us how we're doing, please! Terry 91 Aug 6, 2009 12:12 AM
Giant Snowflake. Did You Know? dahlianut 14 Dec 12, 2009 5:02 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America