AuthorContent
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2009
3:31 AM

Post #7323970

A sweet olive? http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1450/

Mine blooms off and on all year, evergreen and fragrant. It's blooming right now.

Oops I mean as compared to Sarcococca?

This message was edited Nov 30, 2009 10:37 PM
lortay
Navan
Ireland

December 1, 2009
12:02 PM

Post #7324498

Hi CoreHHI,
I suppose there are two major differences, one is that Sarcococca is much hardier than the Osmanthus and the second is that the Sarcococca (here anyway) reserves all it's flowers for those dark days after Christmas and thru the worst of our weather.
In Ireland, Osmanthus fragrans is grown in shelter or even on walls for protection, whereas the Sarcococca will slum it anywhere. I am not sure which scent wins out, I suppose that aspect is personal but the Sarcococca wins hands down for me.
wendymadre
Petersburg, VA

December 7, 2009
2:49 PM

Post #7344483

So, is it the sweet olive that you have growing well in South Carolina, or the sweet box (sarcococcus?) So often the zone information we are given will let us know if it gets too cold for a plant in our zone, but it doesn't tell us if the plant will thrive in the heat. So, if sarcoccus does well in South Carolina, I'm guessing it would thrive in Central Virginia, too?
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

December 7, 2009
5:48 PM

Post #7345130

Sweet olive, they grow very well in shaded areas in the deep south. They can take some sun but they do well in partial shade or almost complete shade.
lortay
Navan
Ireland

December 14, 2009
10:16 AM

Post #7366949

Good Point, Wendy. In Ireland we have either the best of both worlds or the worst of both worlds, depending on your point of view. Our martime climate is cool and wet in summer and cooller and wetter in winter. Zones don't tell you about things like 'winter wet' and plant that refuse to hibernate.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Christmas Box: Growing Sarcococca Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wonderful in A Victorian Walled Garden! NEILMUIR1 3 Dec 1, 2009 12:07 PM
Hardier than you think Todd_Boland 1 Dec 1, 2009 12:18 PM
Sarcococca abbeyrooney 5 Jan 23, 2012 7:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America