Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Weather: December Daily Weather - Tis the Season!

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 158, Views: 947
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2009
12:32 PM

Post #7324545

A warm welcome to the weather forum. Everyone is invited to join!

we came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1058192/

Thank you everyone. I hope whoever stole our Christmas decorations really enjoys it this year. Ill be heading to WalMart this afternoon to get lights.

Kiska Love the moooooose!!
Ric well be decorating vicariously through you this year LOL! Be sure to post pics!
Joanna Beautiful pinks in the sky.
Celia Isis is so cute! She looks like she is getting ready to swat at something (possibly Monty?)!
Flip Awwww pretty baby! I know you miss her.
Pepper Laptop kitty indeed! Chacking for meowmail.
Mau- Thats similar to the decoration my mom gave me. Handpainted and glittery, but most all of the glitter had fallen off. They were pretty to me.
Kelli Nice pics! I agree with the bad place to have a flat tire
Ric We are the door butlers to the cats too LOL!
Bernie Looks great!

59.5 F
Overcast
Humidity: 75%
Dew Point: 52 F
Wind: 5.4 mph from the South
Wind Gust: 7.5 mph
Pressure: 30.03 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 1700 ft
Mostly Cloudy 3100 ft
Overcast 5500 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Today
Mostly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers in the afternoon. High 65. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

Lantana

Thumbnail by MySharona
Click the image for an enlarged view.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 1, 2009
1:36 PM

Post #7324672

Bernie: the new living room is looking great. I know you all are enjoying the added space. Good luck on the cabinet jobs!
Kelli: I had a flat yesterday. Fortunately I was able to make it to the masseuse's office, called my daughter, she called their local tire place, the tire guy brought a little compressor and aired up my tire, drove my car to the tire store, replaced the valve stem and drove my car back to the masseuse's office and the car was ready to go by the time my massage was finished! Couldn't ask for better service than that and they didn't charge a dime for their services, either. The tire guy will get a free adjustment from my chiropractor son-in-law. Another example of bartering services! :o)))
By the way: really liked your title for Isis' photo---LOL "Chairman Meow"!!
I liked the videos, too, as I find ocean sounds to be very relaxing (except perhaps for the sound of the wind in your microphone).
Ric: I always have heard that people don't own cats--rather, cats own people!~ LOL
Sharon: did you find lots of decorations on your shopping trip?

Today: Mostly Cloudy
High 57 F
Precip: 20%
Partly cloudy this morning, then becoming cloudy during the afternoon. High 57F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight: Rain
Low 39 F
Precip: 70%
Showers this evening becoming a steady rain overnight. Low 39F. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70%.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 1, 2009
3:04 PM

Post #7324868

34 (Wind Chill 28) Wind: S 6 MPH

Average: High 47 Low 31

Today's Sunrise: 7:39AM Today's Sunset: 5:17PM
(09:38 hours of sunlight)

We should hit 55 today.
Full Moon tomorrow night.
Last night's moon looked like a street light and was right over the HT at 10 PM.
New Year's Eve will be a 'Blue Moon'... (Cue 'Twilight Zone' Music)

As we wait for the temps to come up a bit we will be bringing the final plants indoors.
First we have to move a bunch from the Porch GH (where it's 24 warmer than outside!) upstairs to
new GH.
The Hibiscus I trimmed hard back on Adina's instructions is starting to leaf out and a few new shoots are popping.
Then after a little cleaning up we'll finish the plastic off for the season.
We need room on the Porch for the last water feature.
It will hold the marginally hardy plants we still have outside.
These are mostly plants Kelli is familiar w/ as perennials out in CA.
Papyrus, dwarf papyrus, water Canna, etc...
The Thalia pots have already been sunk in the pond.

One of the reasons it takes Robyn so long to set up the displays is they are not just night time events.
Since our yard is so small and so close to the road they have daylight interest also.
Think of indoor decorating outdoors...
This is VERY early on in the process.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

December 1, 2009
4:32 PM

Post #7325097

Ric, you're lucky it was only every 15 minutes having to open the door. When ours get going, it's every 30 seconds! LOL And we do it!

Whiskers is adorable! Laptop kitty, indeed. Did he find what he was looking for?

Kelli, ROTF!!! Thanks for that caption!

33.5 F
Scattered Clouds
Windchill: 34 F
Humidity: 68%
Dew Point: 24 F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.12 in (Steady)
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 13000 ft
Scattered Clouds 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

December 1, 2009
4:53 PM

Post #7325156

37F today under cloudy skies. Expecting 50 tomorrow then back down to highs in the 30's and 40's with a chance of rain or snow showers over the next 10 days.

I've been busy buttoning things up here for winter. I never got all of the plants from Lowe's big sale in the ground (the new shady bed is too wet) so I buried them in shredded leaves to wait until spring. They are still in the pots but I've had extremely good results using this method in the past.

I refinished a small hutch I picked up for next to nothing at a yard sale. It was pine, stained dark brown and kind of ugly and beat up. I painted it blue, added several other colors here and there in kind of a camo pattern, crackle coated it and then painted it dark green. I'll post a photo.

Bernie...Your addition looks great. I'm betting your home is the gathering place for the family on holidays. The extra space will be nice.

Ric...I installed a pet door a couple of weeks ago for our outside cat. It leads to a box inside the garage and gives her a warm place to stay.

Kelli..."I suppose there are worse places to get a flat tire" ;-)
There are! The interstate at night in a snow storm comes to mind. (I've been there)

Kiska...My wife wants your moose!

Sharona...So sorry your decorations went missing.

Photo: Local road on a cold wet fall day.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

December 1, 2009
4:54 PM

Post #7325159

Here are a few photos of my hutch project.

In the process.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

December 1, 2009
4:55 PM

Post #7325163

Finished!

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

December 1, 2009
4:55 PM

Post #7325165

A closer look.

early_bloomer

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

December 1, 2009
5:01 PM

Post #7325187

EB, that is MUCH nicer than what it was before.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 1, 2009
5:11 PM

Post #7325221

Hi everyone!

It's 5 pm and Dyson dark, started getting dark before 4 pm. We woke up to snow on Sunday morning so the girls have been playing in the snow for the past two days. It was very cold today, about 23F, partly cloudy and a bit breezy.

Sharon - so sorry about your Christmas decorations. How did they get stolen, someone broke into your house? Weird thing to steal. Can't see how someone would want to use decorations beloning to someone else. I just don't get people like that. Makes me mad to think about it. Hope you got some new ones you like, though the ones with sentimental value can never be replaced.

Very cute and funny cat photos :-)

Barely got the advent calendar for the girls up in time before Hildur Eva got home from school (about 5 min) ... I've never been this late, always finished it the night before. Oh well, I got away with it so no harm done ;-) They would have forgiven me anyway ofcourse, but I was glad I managed to get it finished in time.

I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of things that won't get finished in time this Christmas ... trying not to get overwhelmed ... still it's not like I've gotten a lot of help in past years so it shouldn't be such a stretch if I manage to keep my strength up. That's the tricky part.

Photo from last year, I still have to get the multicolored lights up this year, it will get done ;-)

EB - great job! :-)

Hope you all are having a great day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 1, 2009
6:31 PM

Post #7325446

WAHOOO!
The neighbor is removing the spruce trees in their front yard and in between our houses. I hated the 3 in between our homes since it made it impossible to get in my back yard and they damaged our shingle on the roof. I had trimmed them up a few years ago. My roses will get much more sun now. Too bad DH wouldn't allow me to remove one in our front yard. It would have been nice.

Thumbnail by joannabanana

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2009
8:08 PM

Post #7325709

We're home!! We had a great trip, and are glad to be home - well, except it's COLD here!!! When did that happen?? LOL

I'm not going to comment on everyone's posts except to say Happy belated Birthday, Celia!! And extra hugs to ((((((((((((((((Rann))))))))))))))))))))))))) and (((((((((((((((((((Sharon)))))))))))))))))))))))))).

Did I mention it's COLD here? (Yes, we're spoiled and those of you who live in places where it really gets cold are more than welcome to laugh at me!! LOL) The weather forecast actually mentions the S word on Friday!! That's just crazy...

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 1:53pm CST (12 min ago)
Temperature 52 F 11 C
Dew Point 46 F 8 C
Humidity 80%
Pressure 29.73 in 1006.9 mb
Wind Speed 9 MPH 8 kts
Wind Dir NNE 20
Ceiling 1300 ft 396 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Cloudy
Remarks No remarks this hour.6 hour min temperature ending 11:53am CST : 48.9F / 9.4C

Rest of today Showers. Highs in the lower 50s. East winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 60 percent in the morning increasing to 80 percent in the afternoon.
Tonight Showers in the evening, then a chance of rain after midnight. Lows in the lower 40s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain near 100 percent in the evening decreasing to 50 percent after midnight.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

December 1, 2009
10:02 PM

Post #7326028

Well, I just finish my deck today but not all yet I ran out of wood which is 16 ft. need 1 more...
I drill screws some of it and I will finish this weekend...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 1, 2009
10:59 PM

Post #7326205

It was brighter, warmer and much drier today - now of course it is once again dark.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 2, 2009
12:57 AM

Post #7326565

Rann, don't wear yourself out and don't worry about what you might not be able to get done. Concentrate on the top, maybe, three things the girls like about Christmas and don't worry about the lesser things. For example, if there is a certain food that is very traditional and some unwritten something says that you just "have" to have it, but it is time-consuming and the girls don't like it much, then just don't make it.

Marilyn, wow, you beat me out in flat tire one-upsmanship. ;-)

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 3:51 PM PST on December 01, 2009
63 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 60%
Dew Point: 49 F
Wind: 7 mph from the SSE

Thumbnail by Kelli

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 2, 2009
2:23 AM

Post #7326842

Reached 56 for a high but now the temps are steadily dropping and our high tomorrow will only be 38 with a dusting of snow in the morning. Further east and south of us will get major accumulation.

Whiskers asleep in his bed.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 2, 2009
2:25 AM

Post #7326858

Excellent Rusty!
You done good!!

Marylyn Welcome Back!

Kelli save that picture for next year's contest!!

Rann that's the same advice I was going to give.
Find out what makes Christmas Christmas for you three and just do that.
Then the extras will come...
Hit the lights and I bet you get in the Holiday Spirit VERY quickly... :-)

Looks like December's coming in w/ the winter temps here finally.
After tomorrow our highs will be about 40 for a week.
Lows though not too bad. Around 30 except for mid 20's over the weekend.

GH gets buttoned up tomorrow. All the plants are now officially inside.
The trim is done on the new stormdoor and it's airtight.
More lights up... and the yard has been totally cleaned up fpr Winter.
Hinges are on the new Entrance door and tomorrow it will be hung, insulated and trimmed.
Hopefully it's stormdoor installed too.

Looks like we'll finally be gettingaround to finishing the Sewing Room interior...lol!
Well we had a GREAT run on exterior work!

Ric
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 2, 2009
2:26 AM

Post #7326861

Pepper why did you tie Whisker's feet together?

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 2, 2009
2:40 AM

Post #7326932

LOL Ric!! His feet aren't tied. He's stretching in his sleep.

Here's a moon pic from tonight.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 2, 2009
2:43 AM

Post #7326938

Yeah right... lol!

Beautiful Moon shot!
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 2, 2009
3:21 AM

Post #7327093

Cool moon shot!!
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2009
12:18 PM

Post #7327679

Good morning!

Snowing, fairly calm and 25F. The girls are loving this snow finally! lol

The first Christmas concert (of 3) the girls are performing in was on Monday night. Selma's group played the Bach violin concerto for two violins, first movement. The last number is always White Christmas ... it is really good, always gives me goosebumps :-) lol Selma played first violin for the first time this year.

I don't know if the link works, I uploaded the videos on Facebook ... but here's a link to White Christmas : http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1089487497316

Ric - you and Robin have done such a great job, now it's time to enjoy it :-)

Ric and Kelli - thanks for the advice ... it's very good :-) One of those "must do's" is baking gingerbread cookies and decorating them ... I'm planning to attempt the backing part today after school. Need to start on the dough and get the kitchen ready ...

Marylyn - welcome back! Thanks for the hug :-)

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2009
1:40 PM

Post #7327847

That's a gorgeous moon shot, pepper!!

The concert sounded wonderful, Rann! Tell Selma Run "congratulations!" :-)

Charles poked around in the attic last evening, and then spent time on the internet looking up our furnace, and then went back up into the attic, figured out what was wrong with it - and decided he couldn't fix it himself and it's likely to cost $400+. Bummer. We just spent $700 on one car, and need 3 new tires for the other ones, so it's a good thing I'm already almost done with Christmas shopping!

We're forecasted to get snow on Friday!! I still think Houston moved north while we were away... LOL

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:15am CST (22 min ago)
Temperature 43 F 6 C
Dew Point 39 F 4 C
Humidity 87%
Pressure 29.71 in 1006 mb
Wind Speed 9 MPH 8 kts
Wind Dir W 260
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Mostly Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 45.0F / 7.2C

Today Mostly cloudy until late afternoon then becoming partly cloudy. Highs in the mid 50s. West winds 10 to 20 mph.
Tonight Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 30s. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 2, 2009
2:55 PM

Post #7328059

Wow, you guys and girls have been very chatty, but then, that is no surprise! :o))
Ric: Robyn is doing a good job on those decorations! Your weather forecast sounds like ours for the next week.
Rann: that's a very peaceful looking scene in your photo--I'm praying that some of the peace and serenity will find its way into yours and the girls' personal life as well. I agree what Ric and Kelli said. Also, I will check out your link a little later.
Celia: great shot of the moon!
EB: great "road" shot, too and the hutch turned out lovely!
Joanna: congrats on the removal of the spruce trees. I can understand why you wanted them gone!
Rusty: good job on that deck!
Pepper: Whiskers seems to have been taking relaxation from Celia's Monty! LOL
Marylyn: welcome back! "Cold" is a relative term, depending on where you live--LOL

I'm going to lunch today with a friend who is driving over from a small town about 40 miles from here (still at my daughter's house in Harrison, AR). Looking forward to seeing her.
I decorated my daughter's Christmas tree yesterday. Will finish the rest of the decorations this afternoon.

Today: Showers
High 42 F
Precip: 40%
Winds NNW at 10 to 20 mph.
Tonight: Partly Cloudy
Low 29 F
Precip: 20%
Winds NW at 10 to 20 mph.
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 2, 2009
3:37 PM

Post #7328200

BRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Currently -15C or 5F
High of -7C or 19F
Condition: clear
Wind: calm
Relative Humidity: 78%
Pressure: 103.4 kPa or30.52" rising
Dewpoint: -18C or 0.4F
Ceiling: unlimited
Visibility: 64 km or 40 miles

Altitude: 1084 m or 3556 ft
Latitude: 51.12
Longitude: -114.04

Sunrise: 8:18AM
Sunset: 4:32PM
Daylight Hours: 8 hrs 11 min

Wish DH would have let me take down one tree in our front yard, but no go. With the neighbors trees gone, my roses will get way more sun. Also, it was a lot of work keeping the area clean to access my back yard. The past few years we had to trim the branches up so we could walk to the back gate and also trim the branches so they would not wreck the shingles on the roofs.

Soon we will be less than 8 hours of daylight

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2009
4:01 PM

Post #7328279

Brrrr...is right!!! That looks so much nicer, Joanna. Roses don't mind more sun. I know I don't! LOL

Thanks, Mau. That shot was from last month. I need to get a new pic of it tonight.

Rann, are you going to let the gnomes in this year?

26.7 F with 38 for the high.
Partly Cloudy
Windchill: 27 F
Humidity: 59%
Dew Point: 14 F
Pressure: 30.17 in (Rising)
Clouds: Few 6000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #7328322

Yayyy about the trees, Joanna! :-)

Is your kitty playing peek a boo, Celia?

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2009
4:16 PM

Post #7328341

Where's lsis? THERE she is!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2009
5:13 PM

Post #7328518

Celia - oh yes, Hildur Eva asked today when the first one would arrive ... still 10 days to go ;-) lol

Joanna - yay on the trees! More sun is definately better! :-)

We finished the gingerbread cookies, one thing I can cross off the list :-) The girls still have to decorate them, but that doesn't entail any work on my part ;-) lol

A bit windy this afternoon, really nice to stay inside :-) Dark now. Sunrise was at 10:49 am and sunset at 3:45 pm. About 5-6 hours of daylight, but it's mostly dim daylight ... maybe an hour around noon that's fairly bright if the skies are clear ...

Rann
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2009
5:57 PM

Post #7328648

Here's another link - Bach's double violin concerto, 1st movement. Selma's group played 2nd violin.
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1089793144957

Rann
patgeorge
Nurmo
Finland
(Zone 4b)

December 2, 2009
6:25 PM

Post #7328723

Rannveig: Facebook tells me "Either this video has been removed or cannot be viewed owing to privacy settings."

Last eight days here have been unseasonably mild, between +1 and plus 7 C. Last night we had a frost however, and today remained at about zero. Keeping our fingers crossed for a white Christmas.

My cousin in Perth, Western Australia, tells me they have just bought an electric blanket. The temperature was getting really low - down to +18 C (64 F)!!

At a British Association scientific meeting a few years back one researcher gave a paper on adaptive behaviour in cats. He pointed out that in less than a hundred years cats have moved from hunting for most of their food to using a tin opener. The technique they use is to arch their back and rub hard against the base of the tin opener, whilst purring loudly.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2009
6:29 PM

Post #7328736

38 cloudy, windy, and cold.

I'm starting to get a dry throat and am not vey happy about it. I'm so behind, tired and am not very talkative today.

Sharon, how can someone steal Christmas? That's horrible.

Rann, hang in there. You're doing good so far!

I enjoyed everyone's pictures. Especially the cats.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2009
6:37 PM

Post #7328765

Only a Grinch could steal Xmas and even HE failed.

This message was edited Dec 2, 2009 3:15 PM
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2009
6:56 PM

Post #7328831

Patgeorge - I changed the settings so you should be able to view it now. Tell me if it works. LOL at your cousin!

Sally - thanks! I'm hanging! ;-)
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2009
11:42 PM

Post #7329714

raining
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 2, 2009
11:50 PM

Post #7329732

Dyson, I'm jealous

LOL Patgeorge about the cat and the electric blanket. Isn't it getting close to summertime in Perth now?

Updated: 2:51 PM PST on December 02, 2009
63 F
Clear
Humidity: 46%
Dew Point: 42 F

I am boiling down the turkey carcass to make broth and the humidity in the house is unreal. Of course, around here that could just mean that it is in the double digits. ;-)

You might remember about six weeks ago I had a goldfish that was attacked by a raccoon. He still has one sore that isn't healing so we brought him into the house and have him in a big plastic tub. Either the antibiotic kills his appetite or he doesn't like it in here. He isn't interested in eating. A goldfish that won't eat is like - I don't know - a cat that doesn't sleep?

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 2, 2009
11:51 PM

Post #7329736

red TG cactus

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 2, 2009
11:52 PM

Post #7329740

white TG cactus

Thumbnail by Kelli

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 3, 2009
12:26 AM

Post #7329823

Cloudy, gusty and COLD!! Our high was around 39 with windchills around 30 today. A few flurries here and there too.

Whiskers and Curly sleeping together one day in their chair.

Thumbnail by pepper23

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 3, 2009
1:33 AM

Post #7330016

Rann: I was able to view your links just fine but maybe you had already changed them by the time I came back to view them. The young people did an excellent job in their concert--thanks for sharing the links with us. I'm looking forward to hearing about the gnomes again, too. :o))
Marylyn: bummer on your heating unit going out--hope you get it repaired soon and that it isn't as expensive as you are anticipating.
Joanna: BRRRRR, indeed! We are supposed to get down to 29*F tonight and that is plenty "BRRRRR enough" for me!
Celia: cute photos of Isis
patgeorge: hope you get a White Christmas, if that is what you want. I would prefer one that is dry, myself. :o)) People here in the southern U.S. just don't know how to get around when it snows--they are always sliding off into ditches or into another vehicle! :o(( I had to laugh about your cousin's electric blanket and about the "adaptive behavior of cats". Those cats are no dummies--LOL
BP: hope that dry throat goes away and you are feeling better soon!
Kelli: lovely ocean view--is that Hwy 1? The TG cacti are gorgeous. I'm hoping mine will be full of blooms when I get back home next week.
Pepper: what a cute photo of Whiskers and Curly cuddling together!

Well, I didn't get to have lunch with my friend. She called and said it was sleeting at her house and she didn't want to get out on the road. She lives on a mountain top and it would have been dangerous to come down the mountain on an icy road. We re-scheduled our lunch date for next Monday. My son also called me and said it rained in Cabot all day. However, here in Harrison we didn't get any sleet nor any rain so I guess the front went around us! :o))

Kelli's photo reminded me of our trip to CA in Dec. 2005 to visit my brother and his wife. In this photo, Buddy is looking for seals in the ocean because we had been told that they were there during that time of year. This was taken somewhere between LA and the Hearst Castle just off Hwy 1.

Thumbnail by marsue

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 3, 2009
1:43 AM

Post #7330058

Kelli THAT is whereI want to have a flat!
Beautiful Cactus!

Pep they look VERY comfortable..

46 currently and that appears to be the high till Monday at least.
We're cycling closer to our normal highs and lows of 41/26 it appears.
Looks like the rains have moved on!
Tommorrow should be sunny and 40.
Bad for the exposed skin, good for the GH's and Solar Panels!
Hey you gotta look at the bright side...

Got the new door hung.
A 50+ year old door and a new frame need a little adjusting to work well together.
Couldn't get outside to do the final steps due to the downpour so...
Tomorrow we tweak.
Then finish the exterior wall and insulate.
Just in time as we may have low 20's by Friday morning.

Ric
kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 3, 2009
1:45 AM

Post #7330065

4:30 and sunset was at 3:42pm
Sunrise was 9:49am.
5h:53min daylight.
loss of 3m25sec
Dark, heavy wet snow, cold and a bit cloudy with snow in the forecast.
kelli~the sea/waves video was so nice; loved the sight and sounds. There were more pelicans than I've ever seen in the second; great to see. Nice place for a flat,as well.
marsue~your flat tire could not have happened at better time/place.
rann~the videos/FB; were wonderful.
Hi to all~loved the kitty pics; and nice comments about moose; they are entertaining to watch.

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 3, 2009
1:46 AM

Post #7330070

sorry~crossed ric.. at least with rain, you can take a break now.:)) Sounds great.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 3, 2009
2:02 AM

Post #7330127

Love the berry/snow shot kiska!
You could call it Berry White! lol!
kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 3, 2009
3:33 AM

Post #7330413

love the title you've come up with, ric:)) berry white it is~

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 3, 2009
4:36 AM

Post #7330568

Just in from the shop. It is snowing now. We go from summer to winter pretty fast here. One of those clippers that Joanna kicks out of Canada every so often. We try to send it along, but it tends to linger here.

Laid the floor in the bathroom today. Then my son was making door jambs while I was building boxes for the vanity & linen closet.
Next Saturday is the big party.

Not much else going on here.

Bernie
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2009
10:55 AM

Post #7330848

Good morning!

Almost light out now at 10:43, pretty calm and a mostly clear sky. 32F.

Thanks for the comments on the videos - I personally think they did great of course! lol I love the White Christmas number they always play in the end. I always get goosebumps! lol Marsue since we're friends on FB you wouldn't have had any problems viewing them before I changed the privacy settings ;-)

Loved all the photos and posts!

Off to the pool now.

Have a great day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2009
2:16 PM

Post #7331175

Good morning! The furnace repair ending up costing $565. Ouch. It's much nicer in here now, though! :-) The girls are VERY excited about the possibility of snow on Friday. At first they were saying we would get a "possible rain and snow mix." Then they dropped the "possible." Now they're talking about 1-2 inches of accumulation! I cannot tell you how weird this is for Houston in early December!! We're going to start making paper chains for the Christmas tree after we finish homeschool today. That should be fun (and a good incentive to get the work done instead of lollygagging!) :-)

I love the candles in your window, Rann. And the girls are as beautiful as ever. :-) Gingerbread... yumm!

"Berry White" is beautiful, Kiska!!

I'm sorry your goldfish isn't feeling better, Kelli. :-( Your TG cacti are gorgeous!!!

Sally, I hope you are feeling better today.

Pepper, awwww... the kitties are so sweet. :-)

Today I need to lots of lesson planning and laundry. The lesson planning part is actually fun. The laundry... well, not so much. LOL Necessary, though! I'm sure I'll be popping in later. :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 6:53am CST (41 min ago)
Temperature 37 F 3 C
Dew Point 34 F 1 C
Humidity 89%
Pressure 30.15 in 1021 mb
Wind Speed 3 MPH 3 kts
Wind Dir NW 310
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Wind Chill 34 F 1 C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 37.0F / 2.8C

Today Partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 50s. North winds 5 to 10 mph.
Tonight Partly cloudy in the evening, then mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of rain after midnight. Lows in the upper 30s. North winds 10 to 15 mph.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 3, 2009
2:38 PM

Post #7331216

Bernie it looks as if Joanna's Arctic Blast will be felt all the way to FL.
Good news on the BR too!

Rann it was fun to see the kids on FB.
Sounds very good and though nervous they looked to be having Fun!

41 (Wind Chill 34) and cloudy looks like that will be our high and conditions for the day.

Odd occurance last night.
We went out to the HT at 10 PM and it was 46, heavy SW wind,
when we came in at 11 PM the temps had risen to 52.
Guess that was the last of the flow from the Gulf getting squeezed out of that system.
Looks like we might drop to 23 for a low Saturday morning, 20 by Sunday morning.
We will have full sun Friday thru Sunday so the GH's should heat up well.
I will be monitoring the upper GH carefully.
There's no heater up there yet as I want to see what kind of temps it will hold nightly.
All I'm looking for is 35 or so for a low. That we (meaning the plants) can live w/.

Off to start tweaking the door.
Ric

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 3, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #7331665

HI, guys! I'm sorry I've been away for so long...busy days here! I gathered some rocks from the field for the garden. Then I dug the grass out from around the trees and planted it in the empty spots and arranged the rocks around the trees.

Ric, I hope the GH will have the right temps for the plants. Love the decorations in your garden!
Kelli, I found something about how to treat the fish having spots with methylene blue or salt in the water, but I think you have to check yourself. Wonderful TCs!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylene_blue

Rann, congratulations for the girls concert. They are so sweet when doing the cookies!
Mau, sorry you didn't have lunch with your friend. Lovely view!
Jackie, those berries are so sweet and the name sounds great!
Celia, cute pics of Isis!
Sharon, sorry for your Christmas decorations! Thanks for starting a new thread .
E_B, wow, what a great shot of the road! The cupboard looks great...how did you do those thin lines?
Pepper, great shots, love the moon and the kitties are too cute!

Dyson dark today and strong wind. 46F and 85% humidity.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 3, 2009
5:09 PM

Post #7331671

One more ...see the pinetree wiht the rocks in the back.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

December 3, 2009
5:36 PM

Post #7331744

24.1 F with 27 for the high. We MAY have snow by the weekend or Monday. Everyone here is worried there won't be enough snow for the resorts. The snow makers are going almost non-stop at some of them and the skiers/boarders are not happy. The last 2 years have been slow starts.
Clear
Windchill: 24 F
Humidity: 41%
Dew Point: 4 F
Pressure: 30.36 in (Rising)
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

Can't wait until the hellebores bloom again.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

patgeorge
Nurmo
Finland
(Zone 4b)

December 3, 2009
6:40 PM

Post #7331859

Rann, thanks. It works fine now. Fantastic videos. Thoroughly enjoyed them.

Pat

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

December 3, 2009
6:43 PM

Post #7331867

I discovered this morning that my tree peony is putting out buds.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

patgeorge
Nurmo
Finland
(Zone 4b)

December 3, 2009
6:48 PM

Post #7331883

marsue, you don't have to be in Texas to slide off the road. I managed it last year, right into a snow filled ditch on New Years Eve on a quiet country road. Fortunately a motorist did come by within a few minutes, on the way to a party. He phoned his brother, a farmer who lived two kilometers away. Ten minutes later brother arrived with a huge tractor and pulled us out. Handshakes all round, and off we went. Even with studded winter tyres it gets very slippery!

Minus four Celsius all day today. Combined with a fog everything is covered in a thick hoar frost. It looks gorgeous.

Pat

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

December 3, 2009
6:52 PM

Post #7331890

Do you have digital camera capabilities? I would love to see pics, Patgeorge.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 4, 2009
12:24 AM

Post #7332851

[quote]This was taken somewhere between LA and the Hearst Castle just off Hwy 1.[/quote] If you had gone a few miles beyond Hearst Castle, you would have seen the elephants seals. The signage is better now than it was back then. We go up there just about every year, usually around Christmas. That stretch where we had the flat tire does look Big Sur-ish. I call it Micro Sur, since it isn't even big enough to be Little Sur. (Ric, it's just before you get to Sycamore Canyon and a fews miles before Mugu Rock.)

Adina, I am using a fish medicine that contains tea tree oil. It is supposed to be good for sore, along with some other things. I'd give him medicated food, too, but he won't eat. I have salt in the water.

It got down to 43F last night.

Updated: 2:51 PM PST on December 03, 2009
66 F
Clear
Humidity: 48%
Dew Point: 46 F
Wind: 12 mph from the South

Thumbnail by Kelli

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 4, 2009
1:03 AM

Post #7332974

High of 30, mostly cloudy and our lows will be in the teens tonight. Futurecast calling for light snow Sunday night into Monday with a heavy snow on Tues with probably 6 inches. I'm hoping that one doesn't change. LOL

Finches on feeder. They are loving the 3 tubes. Normally we only have a single and they fight over it. Lots more room on this one.

Thumbnail by pepper23

joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 4, 2009
1:35 AM

Post #7333092

Winter storm watch has been issued. Could have 20 cm or 8" snow tomorrow

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 4, 2009
2:11 AM

Post #7333244

Sure, then Saturday we will get your left overs! LOL!

Tree is up, other decorating done.
Bought a real tree, a Fraser Fir this year. Had fake tree for many years.
Bernie

This message was edited Dec 3, 2009 8:12 PM

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 4, 2009
2:15 AM

Post #7333258

This is other part of living room. Hard to see, but windows are decorated.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 4, 2009
2:22 AM

Post #7333281

Another corner, no Christmas decorations, But--

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 4, 2009

Post #7333288

Dining room window.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 4, 2009
2:26 AM

Post #7333301

Did you notice all the plants ? DW, Bertha's pet project is houseplants.
Also my little collection, antique furniture.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 4, 2009
2:47 AM

Post #7333360

Bernie that blends in seamlessly!
Once that floor is finished you won't be able to tell that room was ever extended.
EXCELLENT Work!
(But knowing your cabinet work exactly what I expected.)
You and your crew outdid yourselves.
The decorations make it look VERY festive!

Pepper I really like that triple tube feeder!
I always thought the fighting was half the fun of feeding...lol!
We hang the thistle bags deep in our bamboo.

Joanna I hope you have a BIG Shovel!
We still haven't seen the first flake here.

Adina I like that look!

Kelli I know exactly where you mean.
I didn't realize there were Sea Lions there...
Have to give that a look next time.

My normal Forecast Station has gone nuts.
They said we were having 13 hours of daylight and a low Tomorrow of 0 F.
Currently 23
Normal High was 78...LOL!

So from The Weather Channel... it's currently 39 and we may drop to 27 by morning.
High tomorrow and Saturday of 41 and sunny. Sunday mid 40's.

We got the new Sewing Room door tweaked and most of the plants in there moved to the Porch.
So we can start the ceiling dry wall finally, probably Monday.
Tomorrow we'll finish sheeting the exterior wall and trim out the door, then insulate.
Maybe this weekend I can finish the shingles and be done w/ the exterior of the room.

Ric

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 4, 2009
3:00 AM

Post #7333411

We remodeled the old part of the living room a number of years ago. The double window to the right was put in so the new ones would be all balanced. Worked too!

The crew was my son & I.

One winter a few years back we build a hospital. Well we put in all the walls & fancy sofits in the place. Others in the company did sheetrock, taping, etc. Only took us 6 months.

I wish I would have taken pictures. Some bachelor farmer had died & left the hospital 6+ million dollars for the expansion. Told them to hire a local contractor & do it up fancy instead of plain old. They hired who they wanted without bids.
A few years later the Mayo Clinic in Rochester took it over, (as they did most clinics & hospitals in this part of the state). They added to their big hospital in Rochester & used the same basic design. Very pleasing for a hospital setting.
We have great health care since all these hospitals have come under the same roof. Some of the greatest specialists & surgeons in the world are here.

Oh, Oh, I am ramblin again,
Bernie
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 4, 2009
3:01 AM

Post #7333415

Ric, no those are two very different places, the flat tire place and the elephant seal place.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 4, 2009
3:12 AM

Post #7333457

Whoops sorry Kelli I misunderstood.
I went back and re-read.

Bernie as w/ the Cabinets I'd hire your 'crew' for construction in a heartbeat.
You too obviously work well together.

Ric
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 4, 2009
9:06 AM

Post #7333971

Good morning!

Dyson Dark, fairly calm and 34F. Seems to be cloudy, can't see any stars ...

Pat - thanks! Glad you could see it!

Bernie - the living room looks great! Like Ric said, once the carpet's in place you could never tell there was an addition there. Congratulations :-)

Joanna -Yikes! 20 cm is A LOT of snow all at once!

Adina - thank you! Your garden looks great :-)

Well, off to the gym and pool!

A re-run from last year ... this is my hometown Hafnarfjrur for those of you who are new to the forum. edited to add: that pink thing in the background is Mt. Esja ;-)

Hope you have a great day!

Rann

This message was edited Dec 4, 2009 9:07 AM

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2009
12:49 PM

Post #7334124

I've missed too much to comment on, but I've read everything. Love all the pics!

Sally They can steal the stuff and try to steal the spirit, but I wont let them.

49.3 F
Overcast
Windchill: 49 F
Humidity: 72%
Dew Point: 40 F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.09 in (Falling)
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 15000 ft
Overcast 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Cloudy and cooler. Slight chance of rain in the morning...then chance of rain in the afternoon. High 58. North winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.

It's chilly and cloudy. I'm loving it, Jeff is whining that he'll have to wear pants to work!!

Sea Oats

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2009
12:49 PM

Post #7334127

Marylyn - Are you and the girls enjoying the snow?

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 4, 2009
12:50 PM

Post #7334129

About an inch of snow yesterday. 8 this morning. I think winter is here!

Working in the shop now. I put together some boxes yesterday. Our vanity & linen closet, a TV - entertainment center, & a small kitchen cabinet.

My son was making door jambs & trim for our bathroom doors. Last afternoon & evening we stain & varnished the door items. They will be ready to install tomorrow.

Today, I am going on a trip to some customers, hoping to get orders finalized.

I think I have my new desk in my mind, so am going to get it on paper.

Everyone, Have a Great Day!
Bernie
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 4, 2009
1:09 PM

Post #7334178

great photos everyone! Kiska: love the Berry White photo!
Bernie,your living room is looking great and the tree is lovely. Yes, I definitely noticed all the houseplants--LOL-- and the antiques, too. Lovely!
I'm leaving in a couple of hours with my daughter and her husband for the ladies retreat which their ministry is having this week-end so I don't have time to comment on everything. I'll be out-of-pocket until Monday morning. You all have a good week-end and Rann, I'm continuing to pray for you and the girls! The photo of them with their friend was really sweet--love the candles in the window, too--very festive looking.

cold here but no precip, thank goodness!

Today: Sunny
High 39 F
Precip: 0%
Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.
Tonight: Clear
Low 20 F
Low around 20F. Winds light and variable.
Tomorrow: Sunny
High 45 F
Winds S at 5 to 10 mph.
Sunrise: 7:08 AM
Sunset: 4:57 PM

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2009
2:12 PM

Post #7334350

Good morning!! It hasn't started snowing yet... Right now it is 37 and raining. This afternoon the temps are supposed to start dropping, and the rain will turn to snow. I'm sooo glad we don't have to go anywhere today!! Houstonians do NOT know how to drive in snow, and they all drive fast up to intersections and stop at the very last second, just inches from the bumper in front of them. The afternoon rush hour is NOT going to be pretty!

Bernie, your living room is beautiful!!! :-)

I'm going to be out covering my roses and bromeliads when the temperature starts dropping. Pretty much everything else is on its own. The last of the summer flowers (rose periwinkles and caladiums, mostly) will pout, and the cannas in the back will die back, but the winter flowers (allyssum and pansies) should be fine. It was time to pull out the periwinkles, anyway.. I let them sit there longer than they should so they will go to seed and come back next year. :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:36am CST (22 min ago)
Temperature 37 F 3 C
Dew Point 30 F -1 C
Humidity 75%
Pressure 30.27 in 1025 mb
Wind Speed 7 MPH 6 kts
Wind Dir N 10
Ceiling 3900 ft 1189 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Wind Chill 32 F 0 C Temp
Current Conditions Light Rain
Remarks 0.02" of precipitation last hour.
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 41.0F / 5.0C
Other Local Stations:

Severe Weather Statements
Type Issue Time Expire Time Expires In
Winter Storm Warning Fri, Dec 4, 4:35am CST Fri, Dec 4, 12:45pm CST 4 hrs, 46 mins

Today A chance of snow early in the morning. Rain likely in the morning. Snow in the late morning and afternoon. Snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches. Colder. Highs 42 to 44 this morning with temperatures falling into the upper 30s by noon then steady or slowly falling in the afternoon. North winds 10 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation 60 percent in the morning increasing to near 100 percent in the afternoon.
Tonight Cloudy with a 20 percent chance of snow early in the evening, then partly cloudy in the late evening and overnight. Little or no snow accumulation. Colder. Lows in the mid 20s. North winds 10 to 15 mph.

I still think Houston moved north while we were gone!! LOL

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

December 4, 2009
3:01 PM

Post #7334517

Marylyn, they drive like that here, too!!!

I'm very tired now. I was up most of the night. No reason, I just wasn't tired until now.

Bernie, I love the kitty statues, the furniture and the asian art on the walls. And the plants! The whole thing looks great.

19.1 F with 36 for the high.
Scattered Clouds
Windchill: 19 F
Humidity: 50%
Dew Point: 4 F
Wind: 3.0 mph from the South
Wind Gust: 12.0 mph
Pressure: 30.38 in (Steady)
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 17000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

lsis, the Snowcat!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 4, 2009
3:25 PM

Post #7334584

I LOVE how they try to walk around the snow! LOL!

30 here, Sunny and we'll top out at 38.

We are supposed to be at 20 by Sunday sunrise.
Day temps though should be right around the low 40's.
The 'S' word is creaping in but on accumulations are being talked about...

58 High in FL!
Break out the Fur Coats!
Hit the stores and start stocking up! LOL!

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

December 4, 2009
3:32 PM

Post #7334608

Monty will NOT walk on/in the snow. He'd rather sit in the sun!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 4, 2009
3:50 PM

Post #7334652

DW collects the cats. At one time we counted & it was over 400. She disposed of some paintings & other cat things since then. Statues stay though!
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2009
4:00 PM

Post #7334676

I've had several reports on facebook of snow is several parts of Houston. Wish I was there to play in the snow!
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 4, 2009
4:43 PM

Post #7334786

Celia - Isis is soooo funny tip-toeing in the snow. lol And Monty is so regal :-)

Marylyn - any snow yet? When was the last time it snowed down there?

Rann

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

December 4, 2009
4:56 PM

Post #7334833

She was very happy to not be in the snow anymore! LOL

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2009
6:28 PM

Post #7335084

It's snowing!! Quite hard! It's starting to stick on the cars, but not on the ground yet. The girls woke up excited and have been watching the windows all morning. When it actually started snowing, they started screaming! LOL Now they're all bundled up and outside watching it fall. The school district is sending their kids home early, so they will soon be joined by lots of other kids, out enjoying the experience. I came in to heat up water for hot chocolate. The temperature is down to 34 and it's still falling, so I expect the ground will be cold enough fairly soon for the snow to start piling up.

This is the earliest snow fall on record for Houston. It did snow (once) last year, later in December, and we had just enough accumulation to make tiny snowpeople (the tallest one was about 5 inches high) on the top of the car. Hopefully we should have a bit more this time. :-)

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2009
6:41 PM

Post #7335123

Wow!! 10 minutes later, and it is definitely sticking! My garden is suddenly white! The girls are inside eating oatmeal and drinking hot cocoa right now... I'm sure they'll be back outside very soon! :-)
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2009
7:00 PM

Post #7335169

After 10 minutes of accumulation...

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 4, 2009
7:02 PM

Post #7335176

We have a little blizzard going on. It started to snow a couple of hours ago and forecasted to snow until tomorrow evening. It's quite gusty, so near white out conditions are happening.

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2009
7:08 PM

Post #7335190

What a cute bear, Joanna!! :-)
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 4, 2009
7:41 PM

Post #7335307

Yay on the snow Marylyn! Hope the girls have lots of fun playing in it ... maybe there'll be enough to make a snowman :-)

Joanna - stay warm in that "little" blizzard, hope it won't be too bad. Very cute bear!

Rann
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 4, 2009
8:50 PM

Post #7335478

The bear has a polar bear look today.

It's starting to accumulate. Glad I'm not driving anywhere. It is really windy, so drifting and whiteout conditions are everywhere.

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 4, 2009
11:51 PM

Post #7335912

Oh, man, wish I could get in on the precipitation party.

Updated: 2:51 PM PST on December 04, 2009
69 F
Clear
Humidity: 10%
Dew Point: 9 F

lemonade berry, a wild plant

Thumbnail by Kelli

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 5, 2009
1:23 AM

Post #7336260

Cold and so far dry. Our high was in the low 30s and lows will be in low 20s.

Headed to a car show/auction in KC tomorrow. A guy my dad has been doing work for the last few years has 10 cars up there for sale so we are gonna go check them out. Plus check out other people's cars. I'm taking my camera so expect pics soon!!

Snow in forcast still for Sunday night and for Tues. WHOOO HOOO!!!
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 5, 2009
2:06 AM

Post #7336448

The cat wanted out (blizzard outside) the front door. I opened it, he took a look and turned around. He went to the back door, expecting and hoping it would be better. LOL
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 5, 2009
2:57 AM

Post #7336614

In 1956 after noticing their cat had checked every door and window of the house during a blizzard.
Ginny Heinlein remarked "She's looking for the door into Summer".
In 13 days w/ no rewrites Robert Heinlein wrote the SFI book "The Door into Summer".
Now rated in the polls as the 43rd best SFI Book ever written.

Guess cats haven't changed much in 50 years eh? lol!

Marylyn good to see you got some snow!

Looks like none here for at least 10 more days.
In fact we're looking at near 50 again by Weds...
Looks like I'll be looking at snow thru the pics here...

Cool here and we topped out at 36.
Sunny though and it was nice working weather.
Guess the blood is thickening as I just called 36 cool... LOL!

Well I got the door frame and stops in (just need to finish the threshold) sheathed the exterior wall,
insulated said wall and got the vapor barrier in.
Tomorrow we'll paper the wall, put the storm door in... finish the threshold and if the glue from the patch has cured install the hardware.
It's a beautiful door and in the neighborhood of 70 years old from the original hardware we pulled off.
And it is an oak exterior door. At first I thought it was a library door.
Those 15 lights are individual panes.
We may eventually strip the paint off the interior side.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2009
4:57 PM

Post #7338114

I haven't read that book in years. Time to drag out the old classic. I didn't know Heinlein wrote that one so fast. Strange In A Strange Land is another favorite of mine.

26.9 F with 35 for the high. 40% chance of snow today. Snow possible through the rest of the week.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 20 F
Humidity: 59%
Dew Point: 14 F
Wind: 6.0 mph from the North
Wind Gust: 16.0 mph
Pressure: 29.93 in (Steady)
Clouds: Few 7000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 10000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 15000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 5, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #7338178

I got the news late last night, the doctor has agreed to do the surgery!! He did a procedure and sent her home with some things to think about, just facts of the other nerves that connects to this one, and the fact it may not work. She is far from healed from the reconstruction surgery she just had and he obviously can't do anything until she heals from that, even though she feels differently lol. He gave her an appointment 6 weeks out so they are on their way home. The dr is in Baltimore so they left early this morning and have already made it across the snow swath, they decided to drive I-70, they should have an ok drive from here on out.

It's cold here! Got down to 21 degrees last night, and the frost on the grass was pure white, got up at 8:30 this morning and saw a sea of frost. It's already up in the 40's.

42.3 F
Clear
Windchill: 42 F
Humidity: 50%
Dew Point: 26 F
Wind: 4.5 mph from the SSW
Wind Gust: 4.5 mph
Pressure: 30.19 in (Falling)
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds:
Clear -
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 583 ft

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2009
5:19 PM

Post #7338184

Good luck and gentle hugs to your mom, Crissy.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2009
5:34 PM

Post #7338228

It's snowing lightly.
patgeorge
Nurmo
Finland
(Zone 4b)

December 5, 2009
6:11 PM

Post #7338365

I'm feeling very envious of your snow. It continues just below zero here; but dry. Still, last year the snow held off till three days before Christmas.

When it's cold outside, and we have the central heating on, it causes the relative humidity indoors to fall, and I have to keep the humidifier on full blast. Radiotherapy three years ago killed all the saliva glands on my right side; so I have a dry mouth problem.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2009
6:23 PM

Post #7338403

rained - snowed - rained - snowed currently (hang on) rain - swear it was snow when I started typing this. Nothing is sticking or it is being washed away - cold though.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 5, 2009
7:11 PM

Post #7338551

good morning everyone~
A sunrise this morning that made up for the many gray mornings so far, was a joy to watch unfold.
Sunrise was at 9:51; but this was taken shortly after 9:30am.
12*F and my fingers were numb after the few minutes spent outside.
5h-43m of daylight.
The auto-flash came on as it was a bit too "dim" w/out.

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 5, 2009
7:11 PM

Post #7338555

one more~

Thumbnail by kiska

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 5, 2009
7:14 PM

Post #7338563

Beautiful Kiska! :-) It's dinnertime over here ;-)

The girls are staying overnight at their father's for the first time so I'm home alone ... miss them already. Hate to have to share them with him to be honest.

Rann
kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 5, 2009
7:50 PM

Post #7338710

Thanks, rann.
Hopefully the too-quiet time will pass quickly tonight.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2009
12:06 AM

Post #7339678

Well, I actually managed to see a movie of my choice tonight ... I haven't managed that in weeks. It was really nice, watched "He's just not that into you" and found it incredibly therapeutic. Wish I'd seen it about 19 years ago ... oh well, live and learn as they say.

Selma's called 3 or 4 times tonight crying .. she can't fall asleep and wants to come home. I really want to give her a big hug. I somehow have a feeling I'll end up picking her up at some point tonight ...
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 6, 2009
12:45 AM

Post #7339805

Hugs to the girls, Rann.

There's a good chance of some real rain on Monday!

Updated: 2:51 PM PST on December 05, 2009
55 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 72%
Dew Point: 46 F
Wind: 10 mph from the South
Pressure: 29.83 in (Steady)
Visibility: 7.0 miles

We went hiking today.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 6, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #7339813

Chaparral currant is one of the first things to bloom.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 6, 2009
12:47 AM

Post #7339817

A small percentage of plants produce flowers that are more pink than others

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 6, 2009
12:49 AM

Post #7339824

California fuschia is usually done blooming by now.

Thumbnail by Kelli

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2009
1:14 AM

Post #7339921

High of 44 lows this morning in the high teens. Had a brisk breeze so it felt a heck of alot colder!!!

joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 6, 2009
1:46 AM

Post #7340044

Gorgeous pictures everyone. I love the pink sky, Kiska
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 6, 2009
2:14 AM

Post #7340141

Beautiful Sunrise kiska!

Kelli the warm pictures are much appreciated! lol!
That currant is very pretty! Do they get edible currants?

We topped out at 32 at 3 PM.
Sunny and actually wasn't bad out.
I'd say we were out there for 6 hours or so.
It's down to 28 and heading for 22 at sunrise.

Today's Sunrise: 7:43AM
Today's Sunset: 5:13PM
(09:30 hours of sunlight)

We got the plastic finished up top first thing.
The GH was at 34 when I go up there so we cut it REALLY close.
We added a heater w/ the therm set to low so it should kick in at about 38.
3 hours after we finished the plastic and w/ the heater not yet activated it was 67 in the GH.
Not a bad sun gain in that short a time.

Robyn wrapped up the Holiday Decorations and it looks great.
I'll get some shots here in a few days.
I got the exterior door wall papered and tomorrow finish the job by adding the storm door.
Would have gotten that done today but I helped our neighbor a bit w/ his truck.

Then I knocked off to watch the Tivo'd UC/Pitt game... 21 point down come back win in the last minute...
UC finished 12-0 ... IF and that's a BIG IF Nebraska knocks off Texas...
UC could be playing for the Championship in Pasadena

Back to the Texas Game...

Ric

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2009
2:35 AM

Post #7340219

First car pic from today. This one I wanted to get in and rub my hands all over it. I was drooling pretty good over it. LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2009
2:37 AM

Post #7340230

Interior of same car.

Thumbnail by pepper23

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 6, 2009
2:56 PM

Post #7341230

Cool car! If you got it, you'd have to share it! LOL

Nice sunrise Kiska!

Patgeorge I bet you are envious of their snow. I haven't had any snow down here but it's 8:52am and 30* outside, and overcast, I think 30% chance of rain (not snow.)

Kelli those currants are pretty! I don't remember seeing those in Modesto. Look out, you're supposed to get dumped on next week.

Rann I've heard that's a good movie, wish Dave would hook up the DVD player so we could actually see some movies! Did you end up picking up your daughter last night?

30.7 F
Clear
Windchill: 31 F
Humidity: 79%
Dew Point: 25 F
Wind: 2.9 mph from the ESE
Wind Gust: 2.9 mph
Pressure: 30.16 in (Falling)
Clouds:
Clear -
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 583 ft
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2009
3:22 PM

Post #7341301

Good morning!

Fairly calm, 37F which feels pretty warm after the freezing temps last week! lol Partly cloudy. Most of the snow's gone.

Crissy - it's a really good movie. I did end up picking Selma Rn up around 12:30 am ... she fell as sleep as soon as her head hit her pillow. She's back at her dad's now for a few hours. Hildur Eva was fine ... she has an easier time adapting, something Selma really struggles with.

Kelli - thanks :-) I'll pass those hugs on when the girls come home. Great photos from the hike, love the scenery in the first one and those currants are really pretty! :-)

I started preparations for my home-made chocolates today ... chopped dates and pecans and soaked them in rum ... and chopped red coctail berries and soaked in Cognac. They'll be soaking until tomorrow then I'll mix them with marzipan. Then I'll coat them with chocolate sometime before Christmas! lol It's a long process ... I just do a little bit at a time. Might start the coconut truffles as well ... and bake some cookies if I have the time. Trying to do some decorating and getting the house straightened out a bit as well. Plenty to do! lol Planning to cook a pork roast with a crispy rind Danish style tonight .. it's become a tration in the Advent. It's really delicious

Another photo from last year ... I've been horribly lazy with the camera this year ...

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 6, 2009
3:44 PM

Post #7341350

Rann a little trick we learned that might help w/ Selma.
Next time take her over later and stay until see goes to bed and is asleep.
I know it's not something you really WANT to do but... lol!
Once she wakes up there it should make it a lot easier the next time.

Lovely Candle Shot!
That's a Contest Photo!

The outside temp was 18.
Well the GH passed the test w/ FLYING COLORS!
In fact I'm going up there today and turn the heater down from 2 to 1 (on a 10 scale)
We only have one of the two elements turned on and it was 52 in the GH.
(I'm shooting for a temp nearer to 40 to save electricity.)
This after only 3 hours or so of being 'buttoned up' and gaining solar heat and a high yesterday of only 32.
I'll be monitoring the temps in the closely today.
We're supposed to be at 40 today and Sunny.
I'm hoping for 80 in the GH.
IF we hit that temp I'm seriously thinking of installing a bathroom fan up there, reversed to blow the heat down into our Sewing Room below it.

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

December 6, 2009
6:22 PM

Post #7341794

Poor Selma. Sorry she has such a hard time. Monty has separation anxiety. Poor guy can't stand it when we're away. We growls and swipes at whomever is taking care of him.
Don't worry about the pics. You have more on your mind than entertaining us! LOL

Ric, glad it's working for you. I have no idea what the temps are in mine.

Pepper, I want a ride!!! LOL

19.7 F with 27 for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 19 F
Humidity: 71%
Dew Point: 12 F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 2.0 mph
Pressure: 30.01 in (Steady)
Clouds: Few 1700 ft
Scattered Clouds 2600 ft
Scattered Clouds 4300 ft
Mostly Cloudy 14000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Darrell is out with the snowblower. We have, maybe, 3" of the white stuff and more on the way.

Isis's foray into the snow. Never saw a cat that liked the snow so much.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2009
8:15 PM

Post #7342108

37 grey and chilly. Our chance for light snow this afternoon into tomorrow dried up. Tuesday into Wednesday is heavy snow with high winds. We'll see.

We took the jeep out for a country drive and I didn't take a single picture. My sinus seems to have turned into a cold. I am sneezing all the time!

Kiska, that was an absolutly stunning sunrise!

Rann, letting the girls stay with him must be very hard to take. (((Selma))) I'm sorry Selma is having a hard time. She's growing up and is a sweet sensitive girl. Wow, those are some homemade chocolates!! The candle setting is beautiful!

Kelli, I hope you got your rain!! How wonderful to see blooms!

Ric, I'm so behind on your projects :o(

Pepper, I agree! Nice car!!

Celia, I got a kick out of the cat/snow pics! I wish we could let our cats out.
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 6, 2009
8:28 PM

Post #7342138

A tad chilly out there. Lots of drifts every where. Poor road conditions

Currently -18C or 0F
Windchill: -30C or -22F
Low tonight of -27C or -17F
Condition: cloudy with scattered flurries
Wind: N 24 Km/h or 15 mph
Relative Humidity: 65%
Pressure: 104.2 kPa or 30.76" rising
Dewpoint: -23.4C or -10.1F
Ceiling: 5700 ft
Visibility: 24 km or 15 miles

Altitude: 1084 m or 3556 ft
Latitude: 51.12
Longitude: -114.04

Sunrise: 8:23AM
Sunset: 4:30PM
Daylight Hours: 8 hrs 05 min

Roses in bed for the winter, mostly Tea & Floribunda

joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 6, 2009
8:40 PM

Post #7342165

Here's a shot of my kitchen window...can't see thru it.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2009
9:18 PM

Post #7342300

Joannabanana, yep, that's snow alright :o) Oh dear, I'm really not ready for that, AND down to 0.

ROTFL over the kitchen window! Love the suncatcher!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 6, 2009
10:54 PM

Post #7342563

I can't see the pictures. I could see it this morning, but since noon it has started again...ugh! It might be my connection. I have to wait until in the morning to see your pics.
Santa Nicholas came to us today, especially to Cici who's real name is Nicolae and celebrates his day of name today. We had some friends coming over and they brought him a present, a nice shirt with a tie. And for me a strelizia, very nice. I'll try to post the picture.
I started to do another dog house today and this is how they found me when they came...like a stray child on the field! I'm always wearing old clothes because the doggies are jumping all over me ...imagine how I look!LOL
Oh, and it was elections for the President day today, it seems another one has won, but very close to the old one.
I'll try to post some pics, if it works.
Hugs,
Adina

This message was edited Dec 7, 2009 5:47 AM

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 6, 2009
10:56 PM

Post #7342570

This little guy is blooming and it's orange!!!!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 6, 2009
10:58 PM

Post #7342579

One of my red poinsettias.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 6, 2009
11:01 PM

Post #7342587

Looking festive, Adina!

manzanita flowers

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 6, 2009
11:02 PM

Post #7342592

woolly bluecurls usually blooms in June and July

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 6, 2009
11:03 PM

Post #7342596

Joanna, all I can say is oh, my. I always wonder how the Indians survived weather like that. I don't care how many buffalo blankets I had. I'd be a gonner.

Rann, do you know if your dates come from the Middle East or from California?

They're calling for rain tomorrow, Thursday, and maybe next weekend.

Updated: 1:51 PM PST on December 06, 2009
54 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 55%
Dew Point: 38 F
Wind: 10 mph from the South

manzanita
To me, this picture looks like the Andean cloud forest or something, but not the United States.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 6, 2009
11:05 PM

Post #7342602

Ric, the chaparral current is not really edible. It produces dry little fruits.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2009
11:24 PM

Post #7342663

40 for a high and cloudy. Starting to snow/sleet out now.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

December 7, 2009
12:30 AM

Post #7342876

It raining and 40*...

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 7, 2009
12:38 AM

Post #7342898

Old Chevy truck. Was owned by the guy my dad does alot of work for but it sold at the auction.

Thumbnail by pepper23

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 7, 2009
1:26 AM

Post #7343063

Marylyn I lived vicariously in the snow through your pictures and a whole bunch of my H-town friends on FB.
Joanna - I love your bear!
Pepper Are you getting snow yet?
Crissy Good Luck and hugs to your mom.
Kiska Beautiful pictures!! You should make cards out of them!
Kelli I really like the currants picture
Rann Im glad you were able to enjoy some me time. I understand your feelings though. You and the girls are in our prayers. Sending lots of love and hugs. The candles look great!
Pepper LOL at the car comment!
Celia LOLing at Isis footprints! She had a great time in the snow!
Joanna Now thats a lot of snow! Very pretty!
Kelli did you get rain?
Pepper Loves the old trucks. They had so much character.

57.6 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 84%
Dew Point: 53 F
Wind: 5.4 mph from the South
Wind Gust: 11.0 mph
Pressure: 30.21 in (Falling)
Clouds: Few 1100 ft
Scattered Clouds 2200 ft
Mostly Cloudy 15000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Tonight
Not as cool. Mostly cloudy early in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. Patchy fog through the night. Low 54 coast. North winds 5 to 10 mph.

We got 3" of rain Friday and Saturday. We really needed it so not many people were complaining. It was a beautiful day today low of 40 this morning high of 59 this afternoon. We'll be warming back up some this week (close to 80 on Wednesday). I went to Bed Bath and Beyond abd Michaels today and bought the last of the Christmas decorations until the sales begin. Most of the stuff was on sale anyway.

Here is the tree :)

Thumbnail by MySharona

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 7, 2009
2:02 AM

Post #7343163

Snowing some now.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 7, 2009
2:40 AM

Post #7343297

Joanna at -17 I think outside is the last place I'd be looking anyway ...lol!

Beautiful tree Sharon and I love that Table!

Love the Auto Show shots Pep!

Adina when's your Name Day?
I didn't realize you did that too.
I just thought it was a Greek thing.
Nice blooms!!!!!

Kelli that's a very nice series!
Really like that Wooly!
And that one does have a Cloud Forest look.

BP we're just tweaking and finishing off previous projects.
Besides helping Robyn most of the day I finally finished the Deck Backdoor.
It's draft free now!

We finished the Decorations and invited our neighbors Jon and Terri over early this evening.
Had the Chiminea fired up as Terri usually hibernates all winter... lol!
They loved the look and stayed for about an hour... at 28

Here's the new pond this morning.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 7, 2009
2:43 AM

Post #7343308

We've found fish stay fresher under ice...

Thumbnail by henryr10

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

December 7, 2009
5:05 AM

Post #7343775

22F tonight with an inch or 2 of snow on the ground. It's the first snow to stick here this year although we did have that big storm way back in mid-October east of here in the central part of the state.

Marylyn...It's hard to believe you had snow on the ground before we did!

Adina...you wondered how I did the fine lines on the hutch. It's the "crackle coat" that is applied between the layers of paint. The top coat of paint cracks and splits and the paint underneath shows through giving the illusion of an old piece with many coats of paint. I sanded some of the edges as well to give it an aged, worn feel as well.

Ric...I wonder what the fish think when they try to surface and bump their heads! Blowing the excess heat from the greenhouse downstairs is a great idea. If you have a sunny winter that would really help your heating bills.

Joanna...I like the contrast of the bird and flowers against the frosty window. I'm not very envious of your low temps up there though. I was out last evening on I-79 and got caught in the snow. It was really coming down, the road was very slippery and traffic was moving at 20 mph at times.

Sharona...Great looking tree!

Photo: mid-October snow in central Pa.

early_bloomer

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 7, 2009
8:59 AM

Post #7343982

Good morning!

It's dark, fairly calm, 34F and mostly clear skies. Sunrise will be at 11:01 and sunset will be at 3:37 pm. The sun is pretty much at eye-level at it's highest point around 1 pm ...

Kelli - more great hiking pics! :-) I like the manzanita pics - very pretty. I have no idea where the dates come from ... they're packaged here in Iceland. I don't think they list the country of origin ... never thought of looking though ;-)

Adina - the president election made the news here! :-)

Sharon - thanks. The "me" time was really nice although I did miss the girls. Your tree looks great! :-)

joanna - wow that is a LOT of snow! The window decoration is very pretty! :-)

Sally - thanks! It is hard, but I guess we'll adapt eventually. Spending some time with their father was good for the girls, they haven't seen him that much since he moved out. They were content when they came home ... although Hildur Eva said "it's best to be home!" :-)

Pepper - cool car photos, that first one is really something! :-)

Ric - thanks for the advice :-) I'll keep it in mind next time.

Another re-run from last year. This was Dec. 14th, just after 12 noon ... the sun just climbing over the mountains in the south. In many of the narrow fjords up north the sun doesn't reach over the mountains for a few weeks so they celebrate in late winter the first day the sun makes an appearance once more.

Have a great day everyone!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 7, 2009
3:15 PM

Post #7344572

Lovely color in the shot there e_b!
Jumps right out of the shot.

Rann while on a much less grand scale the same thing happens in our backyard.
By late November the Sun no longer hits the ground there.
It won't touch the Stocktank Pond area till late January.
This is actually good for many of the bulbs and the Hostas in containers.
We have trouble w/ them coming up too early in the front and side yards.
A warm spell gets them going and then they are frozen out when temps get back to normal.
Back there we get a late thaw so they stay dormant until a good solid warm spell.

34 (Wind Chill 28) Cloudy we'll hit 40 they say...lol!
Low 50's by Weds then another dip down thru the weekend .
It will be about 10 lower than our Averages of 44/29.

Well we had a bit of Winter over night.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

December 7, 2009
5:29 PM

Post #7345032

Fresh fish...heh heh heh

20.6 F with 27 for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 21 F
Humidity: 61%
Dew Point: 9 F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the East
Wind Gust: 6.0 mph
Pressure: 29.84 in (Falling)
Clouds: Few 2000 ft
Scattered Clouds 2900 ft
Mostly Cloudy 8000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

We had fresh layer of snow overnight, too.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 7, 2009
5:40 PM

Post #7345090

LOL!
Dwarf Black Moose!
VERY unhappy Dwarf Black Moose...

Yep Celia soon we will be able to go Ice Fishing!!!!!

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

December 7, 2009
5:42 PM

Post #7345099

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 7, 2009
5:49 PM

Post #7345134

Yikes Santa Cat!
Man that hair is standing straight up there...look out! lol!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 7, 2009
7:46 PM

Post #7345704

32 grey breezy and quiet right now. We got a layer of snow overnight, but it's pretty much melted.

Adina, what is day of name? I think I know, but go ahead and explain. LOL! I think I'm wearing the same clothes you wear! If I'm clean, I can't get dirty. The blooms are gorgeous!

Kelli, I enjoy the flowers you have, while we are all brown and dried up. Definitely a neat picture of the Manzanita!

Pepper, the truck was an old friend!

Sharon, your tree is beautiful!! How is Gary? I've been thinking about him.

Ric, I understand tweaking and weatherproofing. LOL over the fish under ice! Gotta love those red ones! I took pictures of my SIL's red ones just to look at them whenever I wanted.

Early, our storm is coming tomorrow. We plan on staying home, but I feel for anyone who has to go to work. The leaves are gorgeous! So is the rest of the picture!

Rann, the girls coming home content can ease your mind. Maybe the next ''me'' time will be easier for you. I am glad he wants to see them. It will sure help them to adjust. What a beautiful sun trying to rise above the gloom!

Celia, the antler hat is the cutest thing I've ever seen for a cat! Don't tell Monty that I laughed at his picture. Cats hate it when you laugh at them. He's adorable too!

My cats love to ride on the rug. They will attack the fringe as it moves.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 7, 2009
10:24 PM

Post #7346278

We've gotten over an inch of rain so far today. It seems like the weather here rarely does anything half-way. When it rains, it rains. When it's dry, it's dry. When it's hot, it's hot.

Updated: 1:51 PM PST on December 07, 2009
50 F
Overcast
Windchill: 47 F
Humidity: 93%
Dew Point: 48 F
Wind: 7 mph from the ESE

Some more pictures from Saturday. This area was so much more lush (or less dry) than where we had gone Monday a week ago. It is so nice to see stuff perky and green and not dry and tired.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 7, 2009
10:24 PM

Post #7346282

It's no mystery why these are called redshanks

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 7, 2009
10:25 PM

Post #7346285

Big John of the high chaparral ;-)

Thumbnail by Kelli

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 7, 2009
10:53 PM

Post #7346381

Great photos, everyone! Too many days since I have been online and not enough time to comment on everything but I have read all of your posts.
There was no snow on the mountain where we were this past week-end but it was certainly cold enough! It was a wonderfully relaxing week-end. I'll post a link so you all can see the cabin where we stayed. It was "rustically beautiful" or should I say, "beautifully rustic". LOL

Joanna: a "tad chilly" is an understatement, I would say! LOL
Rann: I'm glad the girls had some time with their dad. Little girls need a good male role model in their life as much as little boys do and I sure hope their dad can be that male role model for them. Hopefully, Selma will adjust soon to "changing places" every so often. Know what you mean about having to adjust to your "alone time" without the girls but if you can learn to plan things that you really like to do but can't do when the girls are with you then it will help to fill the time while they are away. It's also good if you can plan some time to spend with friends. I have found that I do better when other people are around so I try to spend as much time as possible with friends and family whenever it is convenient for them to get together with me.

Current conditions as of 3:53 pm CST
Cloudy Feels Like: 38 F
Barometer: 30.19 in and steady
Humidity: 76%
Visibility: 8 mi
Dewpoint: 31 F
Wind: NNE 6 mph
Sunrise: 7:10 am
Sunset: 4:57 pm

http://picasaweb.google.com/marsue777/PickardCabinAtPrayerMtn?authkey=Gv1sRgCOae1OGCkZjesgE#

This is me with one of my lovely granddaughters: Kate

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 7, 2009
10:55 PM

Post #7346389

P.S. Ric: I meant to ask you why are you wallpapering a door?
kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 7, 2009
11:54 PM

Post #7346603

20* Sunset in about 45minutes at 3:36.
It was a very pretty day with bright sunlight and mostly blue sky.
Sorry not to be able to make personal comments today; but did read and enjoy photos.
Have a great week.
I've added a couple more ice trees and a small star on top of one~

Thumbnail by kiska

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 8, 2009
1:37 AM

Post #7346933

Cold, wet and cloudy today. Actually can't say wet cause we never got above freezing so nothing melted. lol.

We have a dusting of snow on the ground from last night and will have 1-2 inches here at the house tomorrow. Further north and west of me they will get more. Des Moines, IA is expecting 10-12 inches. We have to deal with snow, sleet, rain, sleet then snow again tomorrow. Temps are expected to get above freezing for a bit. Much rather have 10-12 inches of snow so I have less ice to worry about.

Bartle Hall Towers in KC. Bartle Hall was host of the auction.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 8, 2009
1:44 AM

Post #7346961

Lovely shot Mau!
You're right the cabin is Rustically Beautiful.
That was a rather vague description on the door work sorry.
I put the roofing paper on the exterior wall around the door.

Kelli is that Onoclea sensibilis (Sensitive Fern) or Woodwardia areolata (Netted Chain Fern)?
Love the rock there!
The chaparral looks so pretty when it's actually growing.

Kiska again those are beautiful!
Sorry, but glad...lol!, that we can't do them here or at least for very long.

We're Currently at 32 and won't drop much overnight.
Weds we're looking for some serious weather to develop.
High wind warnings are already being posted across IL,IN,OH for S/W winds building to 30-40 MPH gusts in excess of 55 MPH are possible.
At this point it appears they will diminish by late afternoon and then be 20-30 MPH overnight.
In MI they are posting Gale Warnings...40 to 55 MPH...
They'll be watching this one carefully.

Ric
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 8, 2009
1:50 AM

Post #7346989

Pepper we cross posted.
My Son is now living in Des Moines...LOL!
I just looked up their weather... Blizzard Watch!
So they get our wind W/ all that snow... YIKES!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 8, 2009
2:06 AM

Post #7347042

My sister and some other family live up there. She was texting me earlier and telling me that school will be let out early tomorrow and she is not looking forwards to the blizzard. lol.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2009

Post #7347099

Ric yay on the gh! I don't know the first thing about them, other than put them up and put a bunch of plants inside, when sun hits them it warms up big time.

LOL Celia! I should try that with Tiga.

Rann my God-mother used to say that kids are like cats, they get really stressed when something changes but it doesn't take long to accept the changes.

Dang I just burned my finger. Ice time, see ya'll later!

Oh, it's cold here and we might get severe weather tomorrow, like severe thunderstorms with a chance of a few isolated tornadoes. We're almost on the line in Central Arkansas.

http://sirocco.accuweather.com/iwxpage/adc/popup/iws3_640.jpg
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 8, 2009
2:57 AM

Post #7347228

Wow Chrissy you must type REALLY fast to burn your finger!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 8, 2009
3:03 AM

Post #7347246

Ric, I think the ferns are California polypody.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 8, 2009
3:18 AM

Post #7347299

Polypodium californicum it is... amazingly like ours here.
And same conditions well except the temps...

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 8, 2009
12:34 PM

Post #7347983

Happy Birthday marsue!

Big storm on it's way. We are all stocked up to ride it out.
Looking for 8" or more of snow with a big wind. That makes for a blizzard. Cold, too.

Bought an entry door yesterday. I got a $300 door for $219. Temporary door was a little cold.

Cabinet business is booming. Up early this morning doing some estimating.

Bernie
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 8, 2009
1:01 PM

Post #7348036

Good morning!

Happy Birthday Marylin (marsue) !!! :-) Hope you have a great day!

Cloudy and my thermometer read 35F this morning, but it certainly felt colder than that when I took Hildur Eva to school. Breezy (which would account for the cold) and the ground was sparkly from the frost :-) Like someone threw glitter on the ground. So pretty. Now the frost is gone and it's mostly gloomy and grey.

marsue and sally - thank you for your advice. I'm sure it will get better with time.

Kelli - more great photos. So nice to see some green :-)

Celia - LOL at the cats (but don't tell them ;-)) - so funny

Ric - lol you can have a "sun coffee (or tea if you prefer) party" when those first rays hit the garden ;-)

Crissy - I like that analogy ... I think there's something to it. Selma will take longer to adjust, but she'll get there eventually :-)

Yet another re-run, from Dec. 2007, around noon.

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 8, 2009
1:03 PM

Post #7348042

we've moved here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1061528/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America