December Daily Weather - Tis the Season!

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

A warm welcome to the weather forum. Everyone is invited to join!

we came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1058192/

Thank you everyone. I hope whoever stole our Christmas decorations really enjoys it this year. Ill be heading to WalMart this afternoon to get lights.

Kiska Love the moooooose!!
Ric well be decorating vicariously through you this year LOL! Be sure to post pics!
Joanna Beautiful pinks in the sky.
Celia Isis is so cute! She looks like she is getting ready to swat at something (possibly Monty?)!
Flip Awwww pretty baby! I know you miss her.
Pepper Laptop kitty indeed! Chacking for meowmail.
Mau- Thats similar to the decoration my mom gave me. Handpainted and glittery, but most all of the glitter had fallen off. They were pretty to me.
Kelli Nice pics! I agree with the bad place to have a flat tire
Ric We are the door butlers to the cats too LOL!
Bernie Looks great!

59.5 F
Overcast
Humidity: 75%
Dew Point: 52 F
Wind: 5.4 mph from the South
Wind Gust: 7.5 mph
Pressure: 30.03 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 1700 ft
Mostly Cloudy 3100 ft
Overcast 5500 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Today
Mostly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers in the afternoon. High 65. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

Lantana

Thumbnail by MySharona
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Bernie: the new living room is looking great. I know you all are enjoying the added space. Good luck on the cabinet jobs!
Kelli: I had a flat yesterday. Fortunately I was able to make it to the masseuse's office, called my daughter, she called their local tire place, the tire guy brought a little compressor and aired up my tire, drove my car to the tire store, replaced the valve stem and drove my car back to the masseuse's office and the car was ready to go by the time my massage was finished! Couldn't ask for better service than that and they didn't charge a dime for their services, either. The tire guy will get a free adjustment from my chiropractor son-in-law. Another example of bartering services! :o)))
By the way: really liked your title for Isis' photo---LOL "Chairman Meow"!!
I liked the videos, too, as I find ocean sounds to be very relaxing (except perhaps for the sound of the wind in your microphone).
Ric: I always have heard that people don't own cats--rather, cats own people!~ LOL
Sharon: did you find lots of decorations on your shopping trip?

Today: Mostly Cloudy
High 57 F
Precip: 20%
Partly cloudy this morning, then becoming cloudy during the afternoon. High 57F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight: Rain
Low 39 F
Precip: 70%
Showers this evening becoming a steady rain overnight. Low 39F. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70%.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

34 (Wind Chill 28) Wind: S 6 MPH

Average: High 47 Low 31

Today's Sunrise: 7:39AM Today's Sunset: 5:17PM
(09:38 hours of sunlight)

We should hit 55 today.
Full Moon tomorrow night.
Last night's moon looked like a street light and was right over the HT at 10 PM.
New Year's Eve will be a 'Blue Moon'... (Cue 'Twilight Zone' Music)

As we wait for the temps to come up a bit we will be bringing the final plants indoors.
First we have to move a bunch from the Porch GH (where it's 24 warmer than outside!) upstairs to
new GH.
The Hibiscus I trimmed hard back on Adina's instructions is starting to leaf out and a few new shoots are popping.
Then after a little cleaning up we'll finish the plastic off for the season.
We need room on the Porch for the last water feature.
It will hold the marginally hardy plants we still have outside.
These are mostly plants Kelli is familiar w/ as perennials out in CA.
Papyrus, dwarf papyrus, water Canna, etc....
The Thalia pots have already been sunk in the pond.

One of the reasons it takes Robyn so long to set up the displays is they are not just night time events.
Since our yard is so small and so close to the road they have daylight interest also.
Think of indoor decorating outdoors......
This is VERY early on in the process.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
(Zone 7a)

Ric, you're lucky it was only every 15 minutes having to open the door. When ours get going, it's every 30 seconds! LOL And we do it!

Whiskers is adorable! Laptop kitty, indeed. Did he find what he was looking for?

Kelli, ROTF!!! Thanks for that caption!

33.5 F
Scattered Clouds
Windchill: 34 F
Humidity: 68%
Dew Point: 24 F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.12 in (Steady)
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 13000 ft
Scattered Clouds 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

37F today under cloudy skies. Expecting 50 tomorrow then back down to highs in the 30's and 40's with a chance of rain or snow showers over the next 10 days.

I've been busy buttoning things up here for winter. I never got all of the plants from Lowe's big sale in the ground (the new shady bed is too wet) so I buried them in shredded leaves to wait until spring. They are still in the pots but I've had extremely good results using this method in the past.

I refinished a small hutch I picked up for next to nothing at a yard sale. It was pine, stained dark brown and kind of ugly and beat up. I painted it blue, added several other colors here and there in kind of a camo pattern, crackle coated it and then painted it dark green. I'll post a photo.

Bernie........Your addition looks great. I'm betting your home is the gathering place for the family on holidays. The extra space will be nice.

Ric.....I installed a pet door a couple of weeks ago for our outside cat. It leads to a box inside the garage and gives her a warm place to stay.

Kelli........."I suppose there are worse places to get a flat tire" ;-)
There are! The interstate at night in a snow storm comes to mind. (I've been there)

Kiska.......My wife wants your moose!

Sharona........So sorry your decorations went missing.

Photo: Local road on a cold wet fall day.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Here are a few photos of my hutch project.

In the process.

early_bloomer

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Finished!

early_bloomer

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

A closer look.

early_bloomer

(Zone 7a)

EB, that is MUCH nicer than what it was before.

(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone!

It's 5 pm and Dyson dark, started getting dark before 4 pm. We woke up to snow on Sunday morning so the girls have been playing in the snow for the past two days. It was very cold today, about 23F, partly cloudy and a bit breezy.

Sharon - so sorry about your Christmas decorations. How did they get stolen, someone broke into your house? Weird thing to steal. Can't see how someone would want to use decorations beloning to someone else. I just don't get people like that. Makes me mad to think about it. Hope you got some new ones you like, though the ones with sentimental value can never be replaced.

Very cute and funny cat photos :-)

Barely got the advent calendar for the girls up in time before Hildur Eva got home from school (about 5 min) ....... I've never been this late, always finished it the night before. Oh well, I got away with it so no harm done ;-) They would have forgiven me anyway ofcourse, but I was glad I managed to get it finished in time.

I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of things that won't get finished in time this Christmas ........ trying not to get overwhelmed ..... still it's not like I've gotten a lot of help in past years so it shouldn't be such a stretch if I manage to keep my strength up. That's the tricky part.

Photo from last year, I still have to get the multicolored lights up this year, it will get done ;-)

EB - great job! :-)

Hope you all are having a great day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

WAHOOO!
The neighbor is removing the spruce trees in their front yard and in between our houses. I hated the 3 in between our homes since it made it impossible to get in my back yard and they damaged our shingle on the roof. I had trimmed them up a few years ago. My roses will get much more sun now. Too bad DH wouldn't allow me to remove one in our front yard. It would have been nice.

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

We're home!! We had a great trip, and are glad to be home - well, except it's COLD here!!! When did that happen?? LOL

I'm not going to comment on everyone's posts except to say Happy belated Birthday, Celia!! And extra hugs to ((((((((((((((((Rann))))))))))))))))))))))))) and (((((((((((((((((((Sharon)))))))))))))))))))))))))).

Did I mention it's COLD here? (Yes, we're spoiled and those of you who live in places where it really gets cold are more than welcome to laugh at me!! LOL) The weather forecast actually mentions the S word on Friday!! That's just crazy...

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 1:53pm CST (12 min ago)
Temperature 52 F 11 C
Dew Point 46 F 8 C
Humidity 80%
Pressure 29.73 in 1006.9 mb
Wind Speed 9 MPH 8 kts
Wind Dir NNE 20
Ceiling 1300 ft 396 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Cloudy
Remarks No remarks this hour.6 hour min temperature ending 11:53am CST : 48.9F / 9.4C

Rest of today Showers. Highs in the lower 50s. East winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 60 percent in the morning increasing to 80 percent in the afternoon.
Tonight Showers in the evening, then a chance of rain after midnight. Lows in the lower 40s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain near 100 percent in the evening decreasing to 50 percent after midnight.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Well, I just finish my deck today but not all yet I ran out of wood which is 16 ft. need 1 more...
I drill screws some of it and I will finish this weekend...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

It was brighter, warmer and much drier today - now of course it is once again dark.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Rann, don't wear yourself out and don't worry about what you might not be able to get done. Concentrate on the top, maybe, three things the girls like about Christmas and don't worry about the lesser things. For example, if there is a certain food that is very traditional and some unwritten something says that you just "have" to have it, but it is time-consuming and the girls don't like it much, then just don't make it.

Marilyn, wow, you beat me out in flat tire one-upsmanship. ;-)

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 3:51 PM PST on December 01, 2009
63 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 60%
Dew Point: 49 F
Wind: 7 mph from the SSE

Thumbnail by Kelli
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Reached 56 for a high but now the temps are steadily dropping and our high tomorrow will only be 38 with a dusting of snow in the morning. Further east and south of us will get major accumulation.

Whiskers asleep in his bed.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Excellent Rusty!
You done good!!

Marylyn Welcome Back!

Kelli save that picture for next year's contest!!

Rann that's the same advice I was going to give.
Find out what makes Christmas Christmas for you three and just do that.
Then the extras will come.....
Hit the lights and I bet you get in the Holiday Spirit VERY quickly.... :-)

Looks like December's coming in w/ the winter temps here finally.
After tomorrow our highs will be about 40 for a week.
Lows though not too bad. Around 30 except for mid 20's over the weekend.

GH gets buttoned up tomorrow. All the plants are now officially inside.
The trim is done on the new stormdoor and it's airtight.
More lights up.... and the yard has been totally cleaned up fpr Winter.
Hinges are on the new Entrance door and tomorrow it will be hung, insulated and trimmed.
Hopefully it's stormdoor installed too.

Looks like we'll finally be gettingaround to finishing the Sewing Room interior...lol!
Well we had a GREAT run on exterior work!

Ric

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Pepper why did you tie Whisker's feet together?

Ric

LOL Ric!! His feet aren't tied. He's stretching in his sleep.

Here's a moon pic from tonight.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Yeah right.... lol!

Beautiful Moon shot!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Cool moon shot!!

(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

Snowing, fairly calm and 25F. The girls are loving this snow finally! lol

The first Christmas concert (of 3) the girls are performing in was on Monday night. Selma's group played the Bach violin concerto for two violins, first movement. The last number is always White Christmas ......... it is really good, always gives me goosebumps :-) lol Selma played first violin for the first time this year.

I don't know if the link works, I uploaded the videos on Facebook .... but here's a link to White Christmas : http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1089487497316

Ric - you and Robin have done such a great job, now it's time to enjoy it :-)

Ric and Kelli - thanks for the advice .... it's very good :-) One of those "must do's" is baking gingerbread cookies and decorating them ..... I'm planning to attempt the backing part today after school. Need to start on the dough and get the kitchen ready .....

Marylyn - welcome back! Thanks for the hug :-)

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

That's a gorgeous moon shot, pepper!!

The concert sounded wonderful, Rann! Tell Selma Run "congratulations!" :-)

Charles poked around in the attic last evening, and then spent time on the internet looking up our furnace, and then went back up into the attic, figured out what was wrong with it - and decided he couldn't fix it himself and it's likely to cost $400+. Bummer. We just spent $700 on one car, and need 3 new tires for the other ones, so it's a good thing I'm already almost done with Christmas shopping!

We're forecasted to get snow on Friday!! I still think Houston moved north while we were away... LOL

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:15am CST (22 min ago)
Temperature 43 F 6 C
Dew Point 39 F 4 C
Humidity 87%
Pressure 29.71 in 1006 mb
Wind Speed 9 MPH 8 kts
Wind Dir W 260
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Mostly Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 45.0F / 7.2C

Today Mostly cloudy until late afternoon then becoming partly cloudy. Highs in the mid 50s. West winds 10 to 20 mph.
Tonight Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 30s. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Wow, you guys and girls have been very chatty, but then, that is no surprise! :o))
Ric: Robyn is doing a good job on those decorations! Your weather forecast sounds like ours for the next week.
Rann: that's a very peaceful looking scene in your photo--I'm praying that some of the peace and serenity will find its way into yours and the girls' personal life as well. I agree what Ric and Kelli said. Also, I will check out your link a little later.
Celia: great shot of the moon!
EB: great "road" shot, too and the hutch turned out lovely!
Joanna: congrats on the removal of the spruce trees. I can understand why you wanted them gone!
Rusty: good job on that deck!
Pepper: Whiskers seems to have been taking relaxation from Celia's Monty! LOL
Marylyn: welcome back! "Cold" is a relative term, depending on where you live--LOL

I'm going to lunch today with a friend who is driving over from a small town about 40 miles from here (still at my daughter's house in Harrison, AR). Looking forward to seeing her.
I decorated my daughter's Christmas tree yesterday. Will finish the rest of the decorations this afternoon.

Today: Showers
High 42 F
Precip: 40%
Winds NNW at 10 to 20 mph.
Tonight: Partly Cloudy
Low 29 F
Precip: 20%
Winds NW at 10 to 20 mph.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

BRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Currently -15C or 5F
High of -7C or 19F
Condition: clear
Wind: calm
Relative Humidity: 78%
Pressure: 103.4 kPa or30.52" rising
Dewpoint: -18C or 0.4F
Ceiling: unlimited
Visibility: 64 km or 40 miles

Altitude: 1084 m or 3556 ft
Latitude: 51.12
Longitude: -114.04

Sunrise: 8:18AM
Sunset: 4:32PM
Daylight Hours: 8 hrs 11 min

Wish DH would have let me take down one tree in our front yard, but no go. With the neighbors trees gone, my roses will get way more sun. Also, it was a lot of work keeping the area clean to access my back yard. The past few years we had to trim the branches up so we could walk to the back gate and also trim the branches so they would not wreck the shingles on the roofs.

Soon we will be less than 8 hours of daylight

Thumbnail by joannabanana
(Zone 7a)

Brrrr...is right!!! That looks so much nicer, Joanna. Roses don't mind more sun. I know I don't! LOL

Thanks, Mau. That shot was from last month. I need to get a new pic of it tonight.

Rann, are you going to let the gnomes in this year?

26.7 F with 38 for the high.
Partly Cloudy
Windchill: 27 F
Humidity: 59%
Dew Point: 14 F
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.17 in (Rising)
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 6000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yayyy about the trees, Joanna! :-)

Is your kitty playing peek a boo, Celia?

(Zone 7a)

Where's lsis? THERE she is!

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 5a)

Celia - oh yes, Hildur Eva asked today when the first one would arrive ...... still 10 days to go ;-) lol

Joanna - yay on the trees! More sun is definately better! :-)

We finished the gingerbread cookies, one thing I can cross off the list :-) The girls still have to decorate them, but that doesn't entail any work on my part ;-) lol

A bit windy this afternoon, really nice to stay inside :-) Dark now. Sunrise was at 10:49 am and sunset at 3:45 pm. About 5-6 hours of daylight, but it's mostly dim daylight ........ maybe an hour around noon that's fairly bright if the skies are clear ...

Rann

(Zone 5a)

Here's another link - Bach's double violin concerto, 1st movement. Selma's group played 2nd violin.
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1089793144957

Rann

Nurmo, Finland(Zone 4b)

Rannveig: Facebook tells me "Either this video has been removed or cannot be viewed owing to privacy settings."

Last eight days here have been unseasonably mild, between +1 and plus 7 C. Last night we had a frost however, and today remained at about zero. Keeping our fingers crossed for a white Christmas.

My cousin in Perth, Western Australia, tells me they have just bought an electric blanket. The temperature was getting really low - down to +18 C (64 F)!!

At a British Association scientific meeting a few years back one researcher gave a paper on adaptive behaviour in cats. He pointed out that in less than a hundred years cats have moved from hunting for most of their food to using a tin opener. The technique they use is to arch their back and rub hard against the base of the tin opener, whilst purring loudly.

(Zone 5a)

38 cloudy, windy, and cold.

I'm starting to get a dry throat and am not vey happy about it. I'm so behind, tired and am not very talkative today.

Sharon, how can someone steal Christmas? That's horrible.

Rann, hang in there. You're doing good so far!

I enjoyed everyone's pictures. Especially the cats.

(Zone 7a)

Only a Grinch could steal Xmas and even HE failed.

This message was edited Dec 2, 2009 3:15 PM

(Zone 5a)

Patgeorge - I changed the settings so you should be able to view it now. Tell me if it works. LOL at your cousin!

Sally - thanks! I'm hanging! ;-)

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

raining

Dyson, I'm jealous

LOL Patgeorge about the cat and the electric blanket. Isn't it getting close to summertime in Perth now?

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 2:51 PM PST on December 02, 2009
63 F
Clear
Humidity: 46%
Dew Point: 42 F

I am boiling down the turkey carcass to make broth and the humidity in the house is unreal. Of course, around here that could just mean that it is in the double digits. ;-)

You might remember about six weeks ago I had a goldfish that was attacked by a raccoon. He still has one sore that isn't healing so we brought him into the house and have him in a big plastic tub. Either the antibiotic kills his appetite or he doesn't like it in here. He isn't interested in eating. A goldfish that won't eat is like - I don't know - a cat that doesn't sleep?

Thumbnail by Kelli

red TG cactus

Thumbnail by Kelli

white TG cactus

Thumbnail by Kelli

Cloudy, gusty and COLD!! Our high was around 39 with windchills around 30 today. A few flurries here and there too.

Whiskers and Curly sleeping together one day in their chair.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Rann: I was able to view your links just fine but maybe you had already changed them by the time I came back to view them. The young people did an excellent job in their concert--thanks for sharing the links with us. I'm looking forward to hearing about the gnomes again, too. :o))
Marylyn: bummer on your heating unit going out--hope you get it repaired soon and that it isn't as expensive as you are anticipating.
Joanna: BRRRRR, indeed! We are supposed to get down to 29*F tonight and that is plenty "BRRRRR enough" for me!
Celia: cute photos of Isis
patgeorge: hope you get a White Christmas, if that is what you want. I would prefer one that is dry, myself. :o)) People here in the southern U.S. just don't know how to get around when it snows--they are always sliding off into ditches or into another vehicle! :o(( I had to laugh about your cousin's electric blanket and about the "adaptive behavior of cats". Those cats are no dummies--LOL
BP: hope that dry throat goes away and you are feeling better soon!
Kelli: lovely ocean view--is that Hwy 1? The TG cacti are gorgeous. I'm hoping mine will be full of blooms when I get back home next week.
Pepper: what a cute photo of Whiskers and Curly cuddling together!

Well, I didn't get to have lunch with my friend. She called and said it was sleeting at her house and she didn't want to get out on the road. She lives on a mountain top and it would have been dangerous to come down the mountain on an icy road. We re-scheduled our lunch date for next Monday. My son also called me and said it rained in Cabot all day. However, here in Harrison we didn't get any sleet nor any rain so I guess the front went around us! :o))

Kelli's photo reminded me of our trip to CA in Dec. 2005 to visit my brother and his wife. In this photo, Buddy is looking for seals in the ocean because we had been told that they were there during that time of year. This was taken somewhere between LA and the Hearst Castle just off Hwy 1.

Thumbnail by marsue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images