Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

December 1, 2009
2:25 PM

Post #7324782

I want to make pumpkin soup and serve it in a pumpkin. As pumpkins are not very populair here in Belgium, I can't find how to do it.
I know how to make a good pumpkin soup. But how long before using it, can I clean the pumpkin I want to fill with the soup? And how do I store it in the meantime. To keep the soup warm as long as possible, I think it's better to heat it short before using it. But won't that effect the outside of the pumpkin. I want it to look like a fresh pumpkin.
Does anyone have experience with this?

Jonna
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

December 4, 2009
2:34 PM

Post #7334425

I would find a plastic container compatible with the shape of your pumpkin such as a storage container and place that inside of the pumpkin to hold the soup.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2009
9:55 PM

Post #7335609

this link, http://www.veoh.com/collection/FoodSoups/watch/v18638222hNMBPezC demonstrate the steps to make, cook and serve pumpkin soup serve in a pumpkin. advertising will play first few secs. the demo begins. hth

another way to make the pumpkin soup http://www.pickyourown.org/pumpkinsoup.php ,
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

December 4, 2009
10:31 PM

Post #7335673

Thank you for your answer babeegirl, but I really don't want to use anything unnatural, I want to serve the soup in the pumpkin.
And thank you MaVieRose for your links. They are helpfull. I learned a lot more about how tho make pumpkin soup in a real other way than I'm used to. I'm going to try the one of the demonstration sometime.We don't celebrate Thanksgiving here in Europe and hardly celebrate Halloween.
I want to serve this soup at Christmas eve. It will be a big pumpkin because we are with a lot of people.
I want to prepare as many as possible before, because all guest will stay for several days (all come from abroad) and my Christmas dinners (we have Christmas eve and 2 other Christmas days) will give me a lot of work. Here in Belgium we have at least 5 courses and I want to make them all my self.
So I will make the pumpkin soup next week or so and put it in the freezer. I have enough pumpkins to clean the one
where it will be served in later. If I can clean that one a few days before Christmas, it will ease my tasks at Christmasday.
I've seen on the link you gave me, I can warm the pumpkin without any problem. Now I still want to know how long I can preserve a cleaned pumpkin.

Kind regards from Belgium,
Jonna

Jonna
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

December 4, 2009
10:44 PM

Post #7335709

Jonna, how about using some smaller pumpkins hollowed out to hold florals and greenery as an accent to the large pumpkin soup tureen? that would be very very pretty!
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

December 5, 2009
9:24 AM

Post #7337244

That's a good idea babeegirl. Thanks!
MsKatt
Mid-Michigan, MI
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2009
1:03 PM

Post #7341019

Jonna, in my experience, cleaned pumpkins do not hold up well. Usually a day, sometimes two at the most.
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

December 6, 2009
2:49 PM

Post #7341217

Thank you MsKat, I'll make the soup next week and clean the pumpkin for serving on Christmas day.
foodiesleuth
Honomu, HI
(Zone 11)

December 6, 2009
7:00 PM

Post #7341911

Thank you. I enjoyed reading this thread. I too love pumpkin soup and would love to serve it in a large pumpkin sometime.

Sonia
(foodiesleuth)
www.soniatasteshawaii.com

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America