Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

December 1, 2009
3:32 PM

Post #7324923

Loved your article. I loved the all those heavy spice scents too. I always go for them in the candle scents.

When I first read the title and your name I thought for sure it was going to be about something else though, so I was pleasantly suprised.

I thought it was going to be about the spice bush that grows here in Eastern Kentucky. It has little red berries on it that was used to replace cloves/allspice in hard times. Even its leaves and twigs has a pungent spice smell to them. The berries are not well seen though because the foliage hinds them some what. the leaf color in the fall is a very bright yellow, and very pretty.

It grows in wetlands, along river banks. I planted a whole roll of them down my driveway (I like them plus we have quite a bite of run off from the yard and house that is directed next to our drive way. I thought they would be good erosion control. They grew very nice!

And then my mother complained. She said it was just an old bush that she knew very well from her childhood days growing up on Horse Lick Creek. That it grew wild and wider every year making it difficult for her to get to the creek and that I needed to cut them and grow all hydranges instead, and maybe a fringe tree.

I cut them down last winter, all except one (I am a keepin it). It was a hard job since I am not allowed to use a chain saw. Husband works away from home, and although I had never used a chain saw I was sorely tempted. But I was good and used a big pruning shear instead, took me all day. When spring came and they leaf out, I sprayed them with roundup and that was the end of them. You know - I felt like a murder, I had planted them and now I was taking their life.

But my mother is pleased, and I do have one left.

Have you heard of this bush?

Benzoin (lindren ??? memory fails me on the second name)
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 1, 2009
4:56 PM

Post #7325170

You might like to read this:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1967/

Ahhhhh, what a sad story you told. I love spice bushes...as you will see in the article from last year.

It's great to hear from you again. Better wait a little while to plant your hydrangeas though, sometimes Roundup has a long life span, I think.

My curiosity got the best of me in the clove article, I couldn't figure out what part of the plant the little cloves were, so when that happens, I just have to find out. Once I figured out what they were, and once the memories kicked in, I had an article. Glad you read it.

I am also glad you kept one spice bush. I haven't had one since I moved out here to the 'flatlands', and haven't seen one either, but I keep right on looking.

Take care, and have a happy holiday season. Thank you for reading the article!
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

December 1, 2009
7:26 PM

Post #7325601

I should have known!
I enjoyed this article too, and thanks for directing me to it.
Lindera benzoin, first thing to go is your memory and my memory started to go about 10 years ago. Still I regret I am forgetting the names of my trees that I had to memorize in school.
Thanks again for the article again
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2009
1:26 AM

Post #7326664

You are so very welcome!
Ahhhhh, memories...I have to triple check things on a daily basis these days!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Clove Tree Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wonderful! kniphofia 18 Dec 2, 2009 12:44 PM
Mmmmm cloves. the1pony 11 Dec 2, 2009 2:03 AM
India, Nepal, Home and Cooking! NEILMUIR1 141 Dec 12, 2011 7:32 AM
Syzygium aromaticum rebeccanne 1 Dec 1, 2009 4:39 PM
Very good article! roybird 3 Dec 12, 2009 3:13 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America