Well... thanks.. my ornaments came from CVS pharmacy... they have smaller ones too that are made of the hollow plastic... most are glass.. and many are solid foam.. you should be able to tell if you squese the solidfoam ones... don't try thatwith the glass ones... usually the pachage or display will mmention it being glass...
I cut them with a utility knife... I heat it in the fire from the top of the stove.. then trace lightly... reheat and cutthrough... working along where I wish the openings to be... the bottom holes for drainage.. I just swivel the utility knife blade around in a circle.. it will soon be through to make two or three little drainage holes..
on this one I cut the openings inside three of the areas outlined by the glitter.around the top.. and added a few bits of the curley spider plant to it... a great way to give some of the spider babies..
these are strong enough for water... but be sure to test yours first.. it would be a mess.. but only water..@ 8 lbs a cubic foot... for water... the volume here is a bout 1/6 to 1/4 of a cu ft.. so perhaps 2 lbs full of water
This is such a cool idea - I couldn't wait to go to town to get some ornaments and finally found some at WallyWorld.
I tried using a lightweight utility knife and it didn't work, I went and bought one that was more heavy duty and am going to give it another try later today.
THANK you so much for a great idea!!!
I've made 4 now and gave them away before I took pictures. DUH
I used gold ornaments and coleus cuttings because that is what I had. The knife was hard for me to use also and I was afraid I was about to cut a finger off so I finally started scoring the ornaments with a dremel tool with a small grinding bit. After I went around my outline several times with the dremel it was easy to cut through with the utility knife. The last ornament took less than 10 minutes to make. Then I poured vermiculite in and added water and the cuttings.
One other thing I did (because I am a little over compulsive) was to put some florists wire through a button and then threaded it through one of the holes into the ornament then threaded the wires up through the hanger part. The button on the inside gave it some more support for hanging.
Everyone that has seen them thinks they are the best new idea. Thanks Gordon!