Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Container Gardening: Christams Planter / Gift ....... Merry Christmas

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 14, Views: 223
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2009
4:58 AM

Post #7327372

Well... here's a new container grouping for Christmas.. fairly easy to make... it took about 10 minutes.. the hardest part was finding the Christmas bulbs I wanted to use...

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2009
11:17 PM

Post #7329658

What a clever idea. Must go to Big Lots or Tuesday Morning tomorrow and look for large ornaments. Wouldn't they make great hostess gifts.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 7, 2009
2:42 AM

Post #7343304

Walgreen's Drug Stores have giant ornaments. I'm not sure you have them in SC though.
Gordon: How did you get the holes in them? They would make wonderful hostess gifts!
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 7, 2009
3:19 AM

Post #7343441

How cute is that!!. How do you water it?
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2009
1:59 PM

Post #7344309

Well... thanks.. my ornaments came from CVS pharmacy... they have smaller ones too that are made of the hollow plastic... most are glass.. and many are solid foam.. you should be able to tell if you squese the solidfoam ones... don't try thatwith the glass ones... usually the pachage or display will mmention it being glass...
I cut them with a utility knife... I heat it in the fire from the top of the stove.. then trace lightly... reheat and cutthrough... working along where I wish the openings to be... the bottom holes for drainage.. I just swivel the utility knife blade around in a circle.. it will soon be through to make two or three little drainage holes..
on this one I cut the openings inside three of the areas outlined by the glitter.around the top.. and added a few bits of the curley spider plant to it... a great way to give some of the spider babies..

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

December 7, 2009
2:13 PM

Post #7344341

How cool is that! I am excited about this and figure you could also eliminate the drainage holes and just add water to use the ornaments to root cuttings.
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2009
3:05 PM

Post #7344538

yes..great idea... a Christmas rooting chamber..

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 7, 2009
3:31 PM

Post #7344616

That is exactly what I was thinking ardesia! Thanks for the info on how to do it Gordon!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

December 7, 2009
3:46 PM

Post #7344650

It just occured to me that perhaps the little wire hanger thingy needs to be reinforced if you were going to hang the ornament with water. Water weighs a lot more than soil, even damp soil.
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2009
4:44 PM

Post #7344860

these are strong enough for water... but be sure to test yours first.. it would be a mess.. but only water..@ 8 lbs a cubic foot... for water... the volume here is a bout 1/6 to 1/4 of a cu ft.. so perhaps 2 lbs full of water
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2009
4:54 PM

Post #7344900

here's a couple more..
it's hard to stop...

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

juja
Lake City, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2009
8:01 PM

Post #7371647

This is such a cool idea - I couldn't wait to go to town to get some ornaments and finally found some at WallyWorld.
I tried using a lightweight utility knife and it didn't work, I went and bought one that was more heavy duty and am going to give it another try later today.
THANK you so much for a great idea!!!

judy
3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

December 15, 2009
8:49 PM

Post #7371821

Wow! I hate to tell this, but if I did something like that, I'd probably display it all year :). That is a great idea. I thought my coffee cup planters were nice. Those are fantastic!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2009
10:00 PM

Post #7372031

I've made 4 now and gave them away before I took pictures. DUH

I used gold ornaments and coleus cuttings because that is what I had. The knife was hard for me to use also and I was afraid I was about to cut a finger off so I finally started scoring the ornaments with a dremel tool with a small grinding bit. After I went around my outline several times with the dremel it was easy to cut through with the utility knife. The last ornament took less than 10 minutes to make. Then I poured vermiculite in and added water and the cuttings.

One other thing I did (because I am a little over compulsive) was to put some florists wire through a button and then threaded it through one of the holes into the ornament then threaded the wires up through the hanger part. The button on the inside gave it some more support for hanging.

Everyone that has seen them thinks they are the best new idea. Thanks Gordon!
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

December 16, 2009
4:59 AM

Post #7373176

Great...I'm glad everyone is having so much fun...after all this is the season for it..

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 423 May 5, 2013 3:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America