-
AuthorContent
Sunblest5
Ashington
United Kingdom

December 2, 2009
9:20 AM

Post #7327594

Great article Sue, I love Camellias and they have a wonderful display of colour in the spring.
I'm glad Ann ( Galanthophile ) has got some growing in her garden that belonged to our mam.
There seems to be a problem, as lot of the photo's seem missing on the article!
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2009
2:18 PM

Post #7327926

Thanks for a pleasant read, a topic covering one of my "becoming my favorite" shrubs/evergreens!

The picture above that is red and white with the yellow (huge) center, "Wokan"...is that a variety name? That's a keeper!

Best!
Shoe
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2009
3:58 PM

Post #7328266

Beautiful article, Sue...I love camelias too, but have some problems growing them here, unpredictable weather might be the cause.

Sunblest, I had the same problem, but after switching over to Firefox, I could then see all the photos.

Lovely article...thank you.

Nice to see Shoe, too!
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2009
4:17 PM

Post #7328346

Howdy, Sharron. Nice to see you, too! Hope you are taking good care of that baby acorn tree of yours!

Rainy, cool, and muddy outside so I get to drift in and out of the shoffice today, enjoying the heat of the wood stove inside and the smell of the wood smoke outside! What a great day! And of course I check DG each time I come back in!

Sharon/Sharron, I wonder if you can grow Camelia if you plant them up next to your house, like I do gardenia, out of the winter winds.

Speaking of gardenias, back to work potting them up in the g-house.

Happy Day to All!
Shoe
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2009
4:46 PM

Post #7328437

Hi Shoe...gloomy here today, too.

I noticed that Sue mentioned planting up next to the house, and wondered if that would work for me, too. You better believe I'll try that soon as spring gets here. I don't think I could find one here in time to plant before freezing starts, so it'll have to wait.

I've bookmarked this article...it'll be here when I need it!

Baby acorn tree is alive and well, Shoe, thanks!

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

December 2, 2009
11:15 PM

Post #7329650

Great article Sue!

The best Camellias in town here are planted infront of houses that face east or north on either side of the front steps. There is a 2 story Camellia infront of the little house next door and it seems to be a fairly strong grower, except for snow-load damage from last winter. There is 2 fish-tail Camellias in my block and the one on the South-west corner can become yellowish due to summer sun/drought (July/Aug) but the one facing North-East is always dark green and blooms nicely. The only time I've seen them do well in a south exposure here is if they have sufficient summer irrigation, feeding and protection from winter winds below freezing.

I believe they are under-utilized and under-rated for both commercial and residential landscapes. The nursery I work at always sells out early in the season.

I hope to see more articles on the Genus. Thanks!

Thumbnail by growin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

stampergirl
Williston, FL

December 7, 2009
11:44 AM

Post #7344086

Recently some of my cuttings have had some white spots showing up on the underneath side of the leaves. I keep rubbing it off, but it keeps coming back. Any suggestions?? Do you know what is causing this?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Camellias - An introduction Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Southern Camelias gloria125 1 Dec 2, 2009 6:01 PM
Soil! NEILMUIR1 4 Dec 14, 2009 10:24 AM
Camellias: Zone 9 and Afternoon Sun ? ceilifinnigan 1 Mar 21, 2010 11:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America