Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Container Gardening: Mycorrhizal fungi

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 3, Views: 56
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gerris2
Wilmington, DE
(Zone 7a)

December 3, 2009
1:24 AM

Post #7329992

Hi everyone,

I wanted to see if any of you were using mycorrhizal fungi in your container soil. I have been adding granulated product in the hole before transplanting my Ipomoea nil and othe vine plants from their seedling containers to their summer homes in the larger growout containers. The vines seem to grow nicely
and flower up well with minimal phosphorus fertilizer. Just wondering if anyone else was into this activity, too.

Joseph
Wilmington, Delaware
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2009
3:48 AM

Post #7330458

Joseph, there was a mycorrhizal coop last spring and I did use it in my seedlings when I potted them up. The petunias really did good. Are you talking about planting them in your summer home like you are a snowbird?

I put some on my strawbales that I plant my tomatoes in but didn't notice a huge difference.

I bought some granules that you put in the holes when you plant, and also some that you mix with water and drench.

Jeanette
Gerris2
Wilmington, DE
(Zone 7a)

December 3, 2009
4:12 AM

Post #7330515

Hi Jeanette,

I grow my main crop of morning glory vines in the summer, but in winter I manage to keep a few of the vines also in containers indoors under lights that are on timers. They flower nicely indoors and even make seeds.

I would have participated in the mycorrhizal product coop if I had known about it. From which company was the group purchase made?

I used the granular mycorrhizal fungi product on my tomatoes, too, and just about anything I put in containers this past summer. It would be interesting to design a small experiment to see if there is an effect on say flower and seed production between plants that received or did not receive the granules or some sort of other mycorrhizal fungi product. Those products are a bit pricey at first but I figure you save on fertilizer in the long run.

Joseph

Thumbnail by Gerris2
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2009
7:03 AM

Post #7330743

What a neat thing to do Joseph. Winter is such a dreary time of year for a lot of us, especially after we retire. I have a couple of lights, one a metal halide and the an HPS in the large reflectors. I do have one on my house plants but never thought about doing what you are. I was going to use them on the seedlings in the spring. Will have to think about it.

Another thing, I forgot about my mycorrhizae but will definitely get some out to put on some of my house plants. I can't remember who it was, someone in Oregon I think. Maybe there is a name on the containers I have. I will look. Will make myself a note to get it tomorrow.

The gal that hosted the coop was maggie. That is all I know her by, but I think that is how she is in Dave's. She is in the exchange I am sure. You might contact her for any info. She was really good.

Thanks, Jeanette

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 423 May 5, 2013 3:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America