Photo by Melody
PlantFiles is getting a new look! Just in time for spring, we're rolling out a new look for the best online plants database. It will also work with your smart phones and mobile devices, so now you can take it with you on garden center visits or botanical garden tours. Questions or comments? Please post them here.

Article: A Grapevine Christmas Tree: Oh, Wow! Never Realized!

Communities > Forums > Article: A Grapevine Christmas Tree
bookmark
Forum: Article: A Grapevine Christmas TreeReplies: 2, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2009
5:32 AM

Post #7330655

Great Article. Love the little 'tree'.

But what I like most of all is that your picture demonstrates that I can use real grapevine for such projects. For some strange reason, when I read about crafts using grapevine, I always think that I need to go out to a craft store in search of some kind of formally prepared and dried grapevine, something that will no doubt be way too expensive. LOL at me, but I never realized I could just use the miles and miles of wild grapevines growing freely all over the place here. Thanks for clearing that up. Now I have a veritable fortune in the natural resource I need to make all manner of 'trees', wreaths, and who knows what else. Heck, I even pull this stuff out of my flower garden each summer while weeding.

Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

December 3, 2009
6:20 AM

Post #7330703

Yeah!
Wild grapevines my mother always said were mean, savage, snakey things for trees. They slowly choke the life out of a tree like a boa constrictor. That said I love the wreaths that I make out of them - they are so pretty!. So I never feel guilty about pulling them down out of the tree tops. The only thing I feel is fear I might pull down a tree limb on top of my head as well!!!!.
Lorra
Indianapolis, IN

December 16, 2013
2:37 PM

Post #9729169

You have inspired me to retrieve my 10+ year-old well weathered GVine tree (on a tomato cage) and rehab it for this year. It used to have a large ponderosa cone as a topper, however I believe the squirrels have had their way with it.
I frequently wove the vines into a wreath as I cut them and hang them on a nearby limb. They would dry and weather nicely for later retrieval. I waged a constant war with the vigorous vines.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: A Grapevine Christmas Tree Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
teacher's lounge Liquidambar2 0 Dec 3, 2009 6:13 AM
Your tomato cage idea foodiesleuth 2 Dec 5, 2009 1:06 AM
Adaptable CajuninKy 1 Dec 4, 2009 6:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America