Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Weather: This is some Sick Joke, right?

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 71, Views: 574
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
AngelSong
Victoria, TX
(Zone 9b)

December 3, 2009
1:42 PM

Post #7331075

To all those Above The Mason-Dixon Line,
Can you please take back your winter weather? It seems to have taken a wrong turn, and dove waaaaaaaay too far south. Having lived here five years now, my blood has thinned sufficiently enough, I see the S word in my forecast, and Id like to return it back to you where it belongs.

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weather.aspx?location=USTX0637

LOL

Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

December 4, 2009
2:58 PM

Post #7334504

Angelsong, I'm with you! It is so cold here right now, down to 44* and I'm freezing. It is not supposed to get this cold here.
AngelSong
Victoria, TX
(Zone 9b)

December 4, 2009
5:23 PM

Post #7334912

Snowing in Seadrift, TX.
Susie2
Brazoria, TX
(Zone 9b)

December 4, 2009
9:57 PM

Post #7335612

It's been snowing for the past 7 hours and not a drop has stuck on the ground or on anything else. It has been so wet for the past several days with all the water standing that the snow melts as soon as it lands. The flakes are really pretty as they fall...never know when we may see this again. Don't dare get out on the road with all the slush.
Stay safe and warm and enjoy the view.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 4, 2009
11:56 PM

Post #7335932

For my part, you guys can have all our snow this winter.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 6, 2009
3:39 PM

Post #7341336

I agree Cajun! LOL!

Just think of it as Nature's way of thickening up your blood... ;-)

BTW it was 18 F here at Sunrise... our High will be your low Cala!
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

December 7, 2009
1:09 PM

Post #7344206

Oh Henry, that is way too cold for me! It was 73 yesterday, going into the 80s today. We're getting back to normal. I hope this was the only cold spell we have.
AngelSong
Victoria, TX
(Zone 9b)

December 7, 2009
1:30 PM

Post #7344238

Cala - I am with you.

I had heat lamps on in the horses' stalls - along with substantial turnout blankets. Poor guys ain't see under 35F in about two years! Poor critters.. I swear I heard shiverring Saturday morning.. LOL

As for me, I was quite thankful when my water pipes only temporarily froze up a little, and nothing ruptured. *whew*
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 7, 2009
2:22 PM

Post #7344363

LOL!
I just had a vision of the farmers here putting turnout blankets on a couple of hundred cattle...

I'd be insulating those pipes if it were me.
A cheap fix for what could be an expensive repair.

We've turned the corner for a few days.
Our winds are now from the SW so your 'warmer' air is moving thru...
But w/ warm moist air you get...

Ric

This message was edited Dec 7, 2009 9:23 AM

Thumbnail by henryr10
Click the image for an enlarged view.

AngelSong
Victoria, TX
(Zone 9b)

December 7, 2009
2:23 PM

Post #7344371

ew ew ew ew!

Keep it! I've had some... and until I venture north in a few weeks for the holidays, I don't want to see anymore. :)

LOL
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 7, 2009
2:53 PM

Post #7344497

We got a bunch of the white mess too.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

AngelSong
Victoria, TX
(Zone 9b)

December 7, 2009
2:58 PM

Post #7344516

Cajun that is beautiful..
But keep it please... LOL
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 7, 2009
3:06 PM

Post #7344543

A lot of it has melted. Hope it all goes away and we don't get any more.
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2009
2:01 PM

Post #7351497

Your wish came true. We got your nasty weather last night. At 35 degrees, my horse would think it was spring. He was outside last night in the blizzard by choice. The barn is open to his stall but he stands outside like a popsicle. He's been that way in the winter for 20 years. We do force him in and blanket him when it gets in the teens. It's a battle though.
AngelSong
Victoria, TX
(Zone 9b)

December 9, 2009
2:29 PM

Post #7351568

*giggle* I'm sorry... I justdidn't want it here.

Low 50s, foggie, and drizzly today. A cold that sorta sinks in through the skin and down into your bones... yuckie

I left Ransom nekkid today, and I'm thinking, for his clipped coat, that wasn't such a good idea. Yuckie!

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2009
10:29 AM

Post #7387187

Wow! We need some snow here. Sleds are dusty in the garage. We keep getting teased that snow is coming. Please send it back! Thanks.
AngelSong
Victoria, TX
(Zone 9b)

December 21, 2009
1:55 PM

Post #7387500

You can have it.

I'm in St Louis now, and there's snow on the ground.

I brought it back north with me. :)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2009
2:33 PM

Post #7387680

It's been dancing around us here in Cincinnati too.
We might have 1/4" on the ground... and it's drizzling
7" of white stuff just 100 miles east of us...

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2009
8:13 PM

Post #7388493

Yeah, this is what I'm calling a teasing of snow.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2009
8:46 PM

Post #7388558

If it snows on the yard and doesn't stick to the roads or sidewalks we call it a Polite Snow.
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2009
6:16 PM

Post #7390987

Aw, heck, you folks don't know what cold is...come to Minnesota and we'll show you some cold weather! Our weather will thicken your blood so much you'll swear you're having a heart attack. Once you get back home, you'll be wearing shorts and a t-shirt, in 50F weather! (:o)

We have lots of snow on the ground, maybe a foot or so, and lots more on the way Thursday and Friday - maybe another foot.

I'm native and I'm already sick of winter... Aaaahhhhhh.
Mike

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

December 23, 2009
10:20 AM

Post #7392579

I've seen the MN forecast Mike. I understand that natives are experienced in dealing with blizzard conditions. I remember some years back driving home from class one night in a white out, and I'm just thankful that I made it home safely. Class should have been cancelled. Keep safe and Merry Christmas.
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

December 23, 2009
5:34 PM

Post #7393357

Thanks, gb, you too!
Mike
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

December 23, 2009
8:28 PM

Post #7393746

I was in MN in July. It was 47* and I almost froze to death. Does that place ever warm up?

We can tell which Winter Texans are from MN, they're the ones in shorts and t-shirt when it's in the 50's and all the natives have parkas and boots on!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 23, 2009
8:33 PM

Post #7393758

LOL!
Snowbirds fly THAT far south Cala?

We're currently roasting up here in Cincy.
43 and partly cloudy.
If it weren't for the Wind Chill at 37 I would have had to break out the sandals...

Ric
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

December 23, 2009
8:42 PM

Post #7393775

Yes, it does warm up here, at times, but not too often.

It's 28F right now and it feels like 16F. We're supposed to get up near 30F tomorrow and Friday, but with a cr*p-load of snow.

I hate winter.

At least the days are starting to get longer now. (:o)
Mike
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

December 24, 2009
1:07 PM

Post #7395409

Mike, I remember the long summer days up there. It started getting light around 4:30am and stayed light until around 10pm. We just don't get that in the summer, our days don't vary much all year long. Our winter days are longer than yours though.
I saw the northern lights when I was there in October (not much different from July as far as daytime highs, but nights got down to 21).

Today is going to be 70 and windy. Lows this week in the mid 40's.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 25, 2009
12:24 PM

Post #7397403

It is a cold white Christmas. I really need to find a warm spot in the south for this time of year.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 25, 2009
1:44 PM

Post #7397492

Dyson Buddy from what Cala has said her area is the perfect answer for the Winter Blahs...
Any place that considers a Sago Palm an invasive weed... lol!

Though it IS 48 here in Cincinnati this Christmas morning...
Ric
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 25, 2009
3:08 PM

Post #7397618

Ric - Dude its like 32 here - raining on the snow - makes walking an adventure.

Thumbnail by Dyson

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 25, 2009
3:16 PM

Post #7397629

Been there and it certainly isn't fun! Be Careful!

I talked to Darius a few days ago.
She had 16" of snow in your last blast.
Won't be going anywhere soon..

Well the days ARE getting longer... hunker down and...

Ric
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 25, 2009
4:17 PM

Post #7397724

It has warmed up a good bit and we are getting rain now. Joyeaux Noel!!!
LindaTX8
NE Medina Co., TX
(Zone 8a)

January 19, 2010
5:04 AM

Post #7475321

The air currents reversed here in Texas. Instead of the arctic front that drove temps down to an unusual low of12.7 one night a week or so ago, we will have highs in the 70's this week! That is coming from way south somewhere. Haven't seen 70's in a long time...now THIS feels more like southcentral Texas! My blood doesn't thicken no matter how cold it is...my nose runs when it even gets down in the 50's...I hate cold!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2010
5:23 AM

Post #7475340

My nose drips constantly in the cold. I call it nasal condensation. LOL
AngelSong
Victoria, TX
(Zone 9b)

January 19, 2010
12:36 PM

Post #7475583

That's what I'm saying! We're right back to normal.

High's near 70
Lows near 50

Much more normal for South Texas in January... =)
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 20, 2010
2:09 AM

Post #7477811

We had a nice day today. lots of sunshine. Went to town and bought feed and buckets. Rain tomorrow.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

January 21, 2010
5:17 PM

Post #7482112

Finally it is nice and warm and I can take my wool socks off. It is near 80 and some sunshine! Cool front coming thru Sunday, will only be 70.
My nose runs when it is cold too (cold is anything under 70).
dgal
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2010
1:23 AM

Post #7483929

What a beautiful day today. I worked on my new pond all day. Even waded in ankle deep to work on the waterfall.

My koi came out of hibernation today. He even ate a little food. He was a pill though, chasing the goldfish.

I feel for those folks who are still cold and snowy. Of course, there's no doubt that we will get more cold too. I just hope there re no more hard freezes. I have already put plants in the pond and the potted plants out on the deck.

Don
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2010
8:15 PM

Post #7486149

Hey you guys, just started reading this thread. Funny. Having our 5th day of rain here in sunny CA. Cold for us in the days, in the 50's. Not so cold at night, in the 40's. DH made sure our horses have their turnout coats on, albeit they are a lighter weight. He feels so bad, and complains so much that they have to be out there in the 'cold' rain. Needles to say, a move to Portland or Seattle is not in our future! LOL! What a wuss. I think we onluy get a few days a year of weather he finds acceptable. Where can he find a place where it does not get below 65 or above 70, is overcast or partly sunny and doesn't rain, but has plenty of water to shower and hose down the concrete? Right. Nowhere. I like cold nights, sleeping with the window open, even a bit in the winter, and prefer days not to be hotter than 85 (not the 110 we easily get some days in summer).
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2010
1:48 AM

Post #7487004

Had a great day today. Got all the animals fed, got all the wire strung on the goat lot. Had 3 sides of it up and the snow did a real number on it. Then we realized it wasn't close enough to the ground so I had to restring it all. Crawled across the hillside like a bug but it's done now and the hot box is hooked up. If the weather in nice tomorrow I'm gonna let the goats out. Also got the big pin driven in to put the guard dog back on the hill. I'll move him tomorrow. A new hen laid for me today. I picked up 7 eggs yesterday. The temp was almost warm today and no rain. The sun even made a brief appearance. It was a great day. We were due and i thank the Lord for it!
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2010
4:04 AM

Post #7487390

CK - Your goats stay in with just strung wire? We use the fencing with the 1x2 squares and need to bury it4 to 6 inches into the ground or our wily goats will get under the fencing. I think they know how to open the gate too...
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2010
2:02 PM

Post #7488111

It's electric wire. They will be turned out in it for the first time today so i will see if it works.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2010
2:06 PM

Post #7488126

Cajun, enjoy the nice weather while you can today. The rain will be moving in tomorrow and we will be back to snow by Monday night. Winter should be back in full force next week and into February. The January thaw was appreciated.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2010
2:13 PM

Post #7488142

I was trying not to think about it. I hate cold and I have so much enjoyed the warmer temps even in the rain. Have a lot to get done today.
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2010
2:46 PM

Post #7488223

Sorry guys, I guess your approaching weather is from our storms from the last 5 days here in CA.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2010
3:40 AM

Post #7490318

Don't sweat it. It was bound to come our way again before Winter left us. Just hope it's not too bad. I took advantage of our last day of good weather and got a lot of extra stuff done. Turned the goats out today in their lot. the wire worked great. They stayed away from it. Either they could smell it or they have been kept in it before. It was so nice to watch them climbing the rocks and running around the hill side. I put them back in their pen for the night.
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2010
4:42 AM

Post #7490479

CK - is the goats pen inside the wire enclosure or do you have to 'herd' them across an open area? Our goats would want to go exploring. DD had a tough time with just 2 when we had a pen across driveway from our 'pasture' (just dirt). First we moved the goat cage inside pasture area and put them away at night, then we started just leaving them in that open area with the horses. Believe horses would protect them from coyotes. Each horse has a favorite goat. Now mountain lion? Don't know.

Had a great day with clouds in and out and NO RAIN!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2010
2:28 PM

Post #7491095

Yes, the pen is a wire dog kennel with a roof and it is inside the electric wire lot. They have a big plastic dog crate inside the kennel to sleep in and on. The lot is on the hillside above the house. I could never lead this trio anywhere. they are all a bit ADD. LOL And the guard dog would likely hurt them if they got too close to him. The free range roos have learned to stay out of his chain range. He is worth his considerable weight in gold for keeping predators at bay but he will kill my animals if he gets a chance. Funny thing is, my 12 yo BC can wilt the big lug with a stare. LOL
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2010
3:27 PM

Post #7491250

What is a roo and a bc? Our first of 3 pygmies I bottle fed at just less than 2 weeks. She had a stall set up in the garage for night time, but in the day she was tied to our hose bib about 12 feet from the front door. That was before we had a gate to close off our place and the neighbor dogs had dug out of their kennel and wandered over. Fortunately we heard her cry out when the dogs got to her and she suffered little physical damage. I took her with me into the shower and washed the dog slime off and there was only a slight puncture. She was traumatized though and spent the day in my lap. Fast forward 4 years and she escapes (she is the most wily) and she goes to the neighbor's yard and prances in front of their kennel with those very dogs going nah, nah, nah!

Step son's American bulldog 1 yr old jumped over the gate and into the horse corral where the goats are now and attacked the youngest and the other 2 goats and both horses attacked him before we heard the ruckus! Cool. Goat was bleeding, but she got bandaged up, had her quiet time in the pen and is OK now.

Frost last night, but sunny and warmer today - up to 58 they say. My tomato plants will be glad to see sun, they have their first flowers.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2010
7:57 PM

Post #7491993

Cajun, It sounds like your goats have quite a palatial setup. We had thought about getting goats a few years ago to help trim the weeds in the fields, but research showed they would eat our Christmas trees, so we nixed that idea.

We had a bit of excitement. I heard one of the dogs barking up a storm when I went next door to do laundry at my DDs house. I found that he was barking because the oldest mule, Amos (who is about 35), had gone down in the mud and was unable to get up. I was afraid I'd get stuck if I got too close, so I called my daughter and her significant other at work and they came home and rescued him.
Something similar had happened a couple of years ago when he got tangled in a fence and I was alerted by the dog and able to call them for help.
We have had over an inch of rain so far today and the radar looks like a lot more to come. Stay warm and dry!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2010
12:41 AM

Post #7492887

A Roo is a rooster and BC is my Border Collie. It's a zoo around here but we have scaled down a bit. Don't have fish, rabbits, hamsters or hermit crabs any more. I'd like to have more rabbits. I'd like to have fewer horses. So glad your horses saved the goats. I love bulldogs but they have to be watched. We've had lots of them and never had a bad one. But ours were all pits. They are very sensible dogs if their breeding is good. It's the same with all breeds but all breeds don't have the capacity for destruction like the bullys do. You have to be a responsible owner for every breed and every species. It's the right thing to do.

My goats have it pretty good but I'd like to have a house for them with solid walls. There is a shed here that I am thinking of converting. It would work fine but it will have to wait until Spring. Right now it's either too cold or too wet.

So happy your dog was looking out for Amos. Something like that can kill an old guy quick. Good thing it wasn't cold and wet. That's a lethal combo. Did you have to stall him up in the barn after? It has been raining here all day. Very wet and muddy but the temps are good. I'll take it over snow and ice every time.

My hip and leg are hurting bad tonight. didn't go to church. please say a prayer for me. I'd appreciate it. Gonna take a pill and go to bed. Sleep well, friends.

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2010
3:02 PM

Post #7498402

Yes, we let Amos have a sheltered place to stay and now he is in the barn lot with the other mule and the horses. He and the two donkeys pretty much go where they please. Fences don't always stop them. I'm thinking he is about 35 years old now and tends to get lame easily.

Water came over out only access road about two hours after I got home from a doctor appointment in Lexington. My husband got back out and spent the night on a pad on his office floor. I am cozy and warm by myself (except for the animals). My challenge is to see if I can put together the IV plumbing to infuse the antibiotics I got from the doctor yesterday. I had assumed my daughter could do this for me, but she is on the town side and I don't see it worth her taking the risk of rowing across the creek and flooded fields to do it for me. I hope I paid proper attention when the nurse showed me the procedure yesterday. but must admit I was distracted by worrying about whether or not I could get home!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2010
3:07 PM

Post #7498420

IV antibiotics? Must be a mean infection you got there. Take care.
LindaTX8
NE Medina Co., TX
(Zone 8a)

January 26, 2010
5:38 PM

Post #7498969

IV antibiotics are usually only given in a hospital or other medical facility. Do you have a heparin lock thing already in place? I wouldn't try to insert a needle into a vein or anything if that's something you've never done before! But if something just has to be connected up, call a nurse to make sure you're doing it right.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2010
5:53 PM

Post #7499031

Thanks for your concern. This is not something I expected to have to do myself. The doctor said he was fine with having my daughter (a vet) do it, but she was trapped away from home overnight by floodwater over our road. The nurse did walk me though the procedure as she hooked up the IVs in the doctor's office yesterday, but that's not quite the same as doing it yourself with no one to watch or assist. I made it through OK. The IV in the back of my hand was left in place where they could not put a catheter in my arm as planned --my veins were too small. I will have to go the local hospital to get the IV replaced every three days.

The drugs are indeed heavy duty. One is the "go to" instead of Vancomycin for MRSA (though my cellulitis has not been diagnosed as MRSA-involved) and another for Lyme disease. I would much rather try this at home than be hospitalized for the infusions. I see the doctor again next Monday and the labs should show whether the drugs are doing what they should. All this is due to a botched blood draw in early December when the phlebotomist left the tourniquet on too long when trying to find a vein. I had made it through surgery (bilateral mastectomy) and three months of chemo (no picnic) only to have this happen on a routine checkup. That's depressing!
LindaTX8
NE Medina Co., TX
(Zone 8a)

January 26, 2010
6:31 PM

Post #7499161

Yes, that's such a shame what happened! It sounds like you have what I was talking about...often called a heparin lock or saline lock and can be on the hand or on the arm. DH has had them many times in the last eight years. He's had more than one of the "super-bugs" that are hard to treat and gets dehydrated easily also. I'd get the nurse to show you the how-to-do-it part again next time you go in. You shoul be familiar with that procedure, even if your daughter would normally do it for you.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2010
8:52 PM

Post #7499610

I suspect by another day or two of this I will be more efficient and proficient and can do it without any assistance. I think I have figured out what the various plumbing parts do. There is a lock that I have to flush with saline before, between, and after the drugs go in. I wish they had been able to put the catheter in so I won;t need new IVs inserted every three days. I don;t know how long it will take to kill the bugs,
I am an engineer (retired) and never thought I would need the medical skills! I was hoping to spend my time watching birds and weather during my retirement. I did find a neat quote on a chronic illness website that fits my philosophy and interest: Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but about learning to dance in the rain.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2010
2:39 PM

Post #7501784

I worked for years as a phlebotomist. It's a challenging job but I loved it. I'm sorry that happened to you. I knew a blood drawer that did that to a patient. She was let go. She actually left the room and went on about her business leaving the tourniquet in place. A nurse found it later. Scary stuff.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2010
3:29 PM

Post #7505055

Hi Cajun! What haven't you done in your life?

My adventures didn't end with my first infusion. The IV came out of my hand during my night's sleep, so I just decided it would be simplest to go to the local hospital to have it replaced a day sooner than originally planned. The floodwater had still not subsided completely over our road/bridge yesterday morning, but my daughter's van has higher ground clearance than my car, so she was able to take me to the hospital to have the IV replaced. After she brought me home I still had about an hour before the infusions were due, so she went back to work in town. I got everything hooked up and was ready to do the saline flush when I discovered that the IV just inserted had different connectors than the original. I had taken the old one (even though it was out) to the hospital so the nurse would know what type I had.

I had already mixed the drugs in the saline bags, so I just bundled everything up and drove myself back to the hospital. The nurse apologized for not having given me the appropriate adapters/connectors. Since the drugs were mixed and time was running out, I asked for and was granted an empty room to do the infusions while I was still there. This was more hassle I didn't need.
I will just go to the vet clinic to do the infusions today, so there will be someone to help me if I have a problem.

I don't know about tomorrow though. We will be under a WSW starting tomorrow morning. I have persuaded DH not to plan on going to work in case the roads are bad. They keep revising the snow forecast downward (originally 10-12", now about 4") but even a few inches on our steep roads can be a problem, not even thinking about idiot drivers.

This flood was especially interesting, as I was watching NWS/USGS hydrology sites for both the Kentucky and Red Rivers. Our farm is on the lower Red River, so usually the latter is of greatest interest. This was the third time that flooding on the Kentucky affected rate of discharge of the Red into it, so I could not use upstream data [from Clay City] to predict when our road would be out of the flood.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2010
9:32 PM

Post #7506197

Sunfarm, You are an impressive lady and my hat is off to you. I pray you will weather this physical storm and rise to shine brighter than ever. My prayers are with us all in this next winter storm as well. I know it is on it's way but today was as pretty a day as I could have hoped for. It felt just like spring and I was able to get extra work done without much effort. I put a few extra nests in with the chickens and brought them a few sacks of fall leaves to play in. It was so nice to see them enjoy scritching around in the leaves. They have all settled down from the recent moving around. Got water tubs cleaned and topped off. Gotta go now and help DH feed his 6 charges. Have a good night friends.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2010
9:45 PM

Post #7506248

Cajun, the forecasters have us down to 3" snow predicted and not to start until later tomorrow into Saturday. Maybe DH will go to work in Lexington after all, but can leave a bit early. That wouldn't be too bad for Friday! Maybe the brunt of the storm will be south of you also.

My IV blew up today so I had to go back to the hospital to have another inserted. I went to my daughter's clinic to do the infusion just so there would be someone there to help me if I had a minor problem. When I started bleeding near the end of the second drug I knew I had a major problem. I think I know what caused it, so made some suggestions to the nurse that seemed to make sense to her. I see the doctor Monday and am just hoping the new IV holds until then, especially if travel will be wicked for the next couple of days. I noticed they had put brine on the roads this afternoon.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2010
3:19 AM

Post #7510844

They are salting here like crazy. Glad to see it. We had a light dusting at 2 this afternoon. It was small and hard. Hope we don't get much more.

Sorry about the IV. My DH was in the hospital in isolation once for 27 days. He was on 2 IV antibiotics, Gent and Vanc, in big doses. That is so hard on veins. His veins blew every other day.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2010
3:50 PM

Post #7511900

Hi Cajun,

We had 3.7" of snow by my 8AM obs time and about another 1.5" since then. It has slowed down considerably. NWS was estimating about another 2" through this afternoon.

We are not going anywhere--not even going to try. I am hoping to get some good pictures of birds in the snow. There is a frenzy at each feeder.

One of the drugs I am on is Cubicin, which has replaced Vancomycin as the go-to drug for MRSA. The other is Rocephin, which I gather is often prescribed for Lyme disease. I have DH at home and DD (the vet) next door, so I hope infusions go well today and tomorrow. I just hope road conditions permit my getting to the doctor Monday morning. No snowplows out this way! I just want to stay out of the hospital!
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2010
3:55 PM

Post #7511915

I was in the hospital for 10 days, including ICU, over New Year's and I had to have the IV moved every couple days too. Those antibiotics were tough and one time they started going into the cells. Arm got big and hard around the IV and hurt like the dickens. THe antibiotics stung each time anyway. Did not look forward to that time of day. The last IV was in a small hand vein, so they had to use a smaller needle, so it took 4 hours to get 2 hours worth of antibiotics. I have had them use my ankle before...
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2010
4:34 PM

Post #7512024

DH had pipes for veins but the meds ate them up.
LindaTX8
NE Medina Co., TX
(Zone 8a)

January 30, 2010
6:05 PM

Post #7512304

Anyone who gets IV's over a long period of time like my DH has in the past, gets veins that get damaged, so when they need to give IV's again it's harder to do it and the site has to be changed more often. They had to use what the medical people called a central line when he was in the MICU for a long time, as well as peripheral lines.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2010
6:33 PM

Post #7512416

When I worked in the hospital, I drew every area of the hospital. ER was my favorite place to work. Neonate was my least favorite. I drew a lot on the cancer wing and the patients had few veins after months of chemo. lots of them had centra lines and PIC lines but sadly many of the nurses were too lazy to access them and had me stick them instead.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2010
12:51 AM

Post #7513649

I wish I had been able to have a PICC line [peripherally inserted central catheter] installed, but they could not find a large enough vein. This blowing of IVs in my hand and near my elbow are for the birds. I had four rounds of chemo for my breast cancer from August through October, so I guess that explains the poor state of my veins. I just didn't need this infection. Since it is in one arm (the side where a couple of lymph nodes were removed in July with my mastectomy) and it is badly swollen, they are staying away from it with the IVs. I inquired about an IV in my leg, but was told that would be more likely to have clotting problems. Maybe they will reevalaute when I see the doctor again Monday, assuming I can get off the farm. The swelling in my arm is better but far from cured, so I suspect unless something miraculous happens I will need more antibiotics. I had 7 weeks of oral meds that did little.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2010
5:20 AM

Post #7514404

I am so sorry you are having all these problems. I will be praying for you.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2010
2:10 PM

Post #7514856

Thanks for your prayers and kind thoughts. It looks like we have about 4" of snow out there since it has settled a bit. We are staying put today.

My dilemma is whether or not to pull the IV after my infusion today. It is uncomfortable and I tend to get an allergic reaction to medical tape left on too long. The IV is due to be changed tomorrow, but if I don't get to the doctor I have one more day's medicines in stock that I could use if the IV is still in place. I will make the decision after today's drugs go in.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2010
3:20 PM

Post #7515016

Couldn't your DD put in a new IV for you?
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2010
9:18 PM

Post #7516186

She says she is great with finding veins in cats and kittens, dogs and puppies, even hourses, but is not experienced with people.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America