Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Computer Talk: What about computers and EMFs?

Communities > Forums > Computer Talk
bookmark
Forum: Computer TalkReplies: 6, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gloriag
Floyd, VA
(Zone 6b)

December 3, 2009
1:43 PM

Post #7331082

I am horrified at what I have been reading about EMFs from electronics: tvs, cell phones, portable phones, computer screens,
household appliances, electrical outlets, etc. How can I find out more about this. Prevention Magazine issue 1/2010 p.85
is really scary. I've just read Executive Summary of the California EMF Risk Evaluation for Policymakers and the Public.June 2002. Do you have any suggestions on how to reduce the risks?
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2009
6:24 PM

Post #7331826

Quit using cellphones, computers, and TVs?

I worry more about the economy and the two wars we have going on.
gloriag
Floyd, VA
(Zone 6b)

December 3, 2009
6:49 PM

Post #7331885

Well, of course there's that too! But this seems to be an issue which affects everyone possibly. (War and a collapsed economy do as well as death and taxes)
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2009
7:20 PM

Post #7331942

It seems like a few years ago (maybe it is still going on) that there was concern for people living close to high voltage lines. I haven't heard much about it since then.

Anyway we have thousands (or more) of cosmic particles from outer space passing through our bodies every second but life goes on.

Check this site:

http://survive2012.com/index.php/cosmic-rays.html

One of the quotes from it:

During solar radiation storms, passengers on jets flying nearer Earth's poles can get zapped with than the equivalent of 10 chest X-rays.

I guess the motto is not to fly near the poles especially during solar storms.

Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 3, 2009
7:59 PM

Post #7332005

From what I have been reading, there have been many research programs testing emf's and the scientific community is mostly convinced that the tests so far find the low levels emitted from hand held devices such as cell phones and pda's and other electronic devices in common use today are "harmless" or of "very low concern". Others are not convinced and studies/tests are ongoing.

I know that my cell phone emits something because it causes my desk top speakers and cb speakers to crackle when it rings. In fact, the crackle begins before the actual ring so I know a call is incoming. Whether or not there are any health affects from this is something I have no idea. I don't feel anything after years of use so until proven unsafe I just won't worry about it too much...maybe our generation will be the guinea pigs for the welfare of the next generation.

I will eventually pass on from this life and with literally thousands of possible causes of death, I would be amazed if the coroner reports the cause of my demise to be cell phone use. In the meantime, these devises give me an improved quality of life on a daily basis that I am not willing to forego based on extremely limited and unlikely possibilities.
Rocco
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 3, 2009
8:01 PM

Post #7332009

I agree with hcmc, in addition to what was mentioned there are hundreds of more important issues to worry about other than electro magnetic radiation. I spent my career working in electrical/ electronic engineering and suffered no ill effects. In addition to the electrical work I was also involved with nuclear devices and radioactive materials. I live near a 13,500 volt power line and have not become "crispy".

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

December 3, 2009
8:47 PM

Post #7332125

I agree with those who say there are far more urgent issues
going on in the world right now over which we seem to have
little control and no voice. If the electro magnetic radiation is of
great concern, then individuals can choose to stop using those
devices. I respect that but will take my chances.

Without these devices those of us who have businesses or
jobs or just want to keep up with current events, friends and
family would be at a loss.

I do have concerns about kids with their IPods glued into their
ears at the highest decibel level 24 hours a day. They may well
pay the price with impaired hearing when they get older. But
of course they don't believe they will ever get old. ;-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Computer Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hotmail help Calalily 13 Jul 17, 2008 11:51 AM
Screen Capture Programs holty 16 Feb 8, 2010 2:13 AM
This 'problem' is driving me nuts! hczone6 10 Feb 11, 2014 4:24 PM
Laptop recommendations Gwendalou 10 Jul 30, 2007 10:12 PM
G Mail Invitations PudgyMudpies 43 Dec 28, 2007 12:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America