Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Computer Talk: antiv virus installation problems

Communities > Forums > Computer Talk
bookmark
Forum: Computer TalkReplies: 13, Views: 82
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 3, 2009
2:55 PM

Post #7331246

I did have AVG 8.5 but was told that Dec. 1 it would no longer be availabe and would have to upgrade to AVG 9.0. I downloaded it and paid $53.00 for 3 years. It is no longer called AVG but Security Solutions. I am not happy with it at all, so far haven't got it installed properly. When you call the support number they only tell you they will send another e mail. You cant get a direrct line to techical support or an e mail address for them. Has anyone else made the change and the results.

Sparks42/Gene
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2009
6:34 PM

Post #7331848

I dropped AVG 8.5 after a few months and went back to Norton recently (peace of mind). I do know that AVG seems to be a small operation over in Eastern Europe (one of the previous SSRs) so that may be why there is no phone support. In the past I always used email support for issues and usually got an answer back in a day or two. Maybe with the release of 9.0 they are swamped with problems.
MichaelZ
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 3, 2009
7:02 PM

Post #7331912

A few notions here.

If you are unhappy and if you paid by credit card and if AVG does not credit you your payment, most credit card companies will take care of the issue for you.

I haven't used AVG, but with Norton when I upgrade I have issues if I have not "completely" eliminated the previous install. On occasion I have had to download a Norton program to complete the uninstall in order to do a new install. Ticks me off, but whatever. I've learned to deal with it.

I have never been happy with any of the antivirus program's customer support operations. Over the past 20 years I have tried several and have stuck with Norton only because I trust them to protect my computers mostly.

Oh yeah, the other thing on my mind was to say, "Back up everything you want to keep in case of virus or crash!" I use external hard drives for this and if I have stuff going on the is critical I use two externals and have a friend keep one just in case . A little paranoia can be healthy.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2009
7:24 PM

Post #7331952

I second the motion on back ups. I am paranoid after my last PC crashed. I had pictures, music, quicken backed up but not my email. Now I do the same thing - two exernal drives on the desktop and two externals on each laptop. As price continues to go down and size goes up, I may go to 3 drives.
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 3, 2009
7:33 PM

Post #7331964

Thank you all, I am going to try and cancel my subscription. It looks like what I paid for is not even AVG. In the past I have been very happy with AVG.
WantabeGardener
Jerome, MI
(Zone 5b)

December 3, 2009
7:38 PM

Post #7331972

I up graded AVG...on both computers..I choose the free one..9.0...they are working very well. Sorry you are having problems.. Smiles..Diana...
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 3, 2009
11:47 PM

Post #7332715

To start with I was able to cancel my subscripiton to Sercurity Solutions and downloaded the free AVG 9.0. I have always been happy with AVG. Now Diana I think I could use your input. I really haven't tried to use it yet. In the past I have set up a scheduled scan for 12.00 am. Not sure how to do it on this one. Also was able to go to history to see results. Hope you can point the way for me isntead of me fumbling and bumbling around.

Gene
WantabeGardener
Jerome, MI
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2009
12:09 AM

Post #7332794

Well when I downloaded the 9.0 the settings remained the same..so mine goes off at 3...am and the updates are auto>...Maybe yours did the same...did you check that?...at the end of the download..it says it ran a scan...But I will check on it...I just did it..two days ago...well the last day..Waited to the very end...If I have a problem..I will let you know...smiles...happy night...good luck..Diana...
WantabeGardener
Jerome, MI
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2009
12:16 AM

Post #7332821

yes I did check...double click on the icon..on the bottom right..a window will come up...on the blue lower left side of that window..it will tell you when your last scan..was done and the update mine was 3 am this morning..and updated this morning at 6:19 am..so mine is back to the old settings...so that is good..check yours..

smiles..Diana...
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 4, 2009
1:00 AM

Post #7332966

Diana, Mine is set for 1:00 am, will check tomorrow for results. Thank you very much you have been very helpful.
Good Night,
Geme
WantabeGardener
Jerome, MI
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2009
1:09 AM

Post #7332989

Hope it shows..it ran...much easier..for sure...have a good night too..

waving...Diana...
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 4, 2009
2:24 PM

Post #7334389

Doggone it, I wrote a lot and somehow deleted it. Any way my AVG scan ran well last night and this am showed in left hand lower coren that it had ran. Was also able to check history, of course only the one scan there but showed no infections. I also do use free Advacne Systems and (I Think) free Spydoctor. Each covers a different part of the computer but only AVG is anti virus.

Will check in every now and then.
Gene
WantabeGardener
Jerome, MI
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2009
3:37 PM

Post #7334620

Good for you..glad it worked out..congrats...happy day now..

smiles..Diana...
dataminn
Arlington, MN

December 4, 2009
6:06 PM

Post #7335027

I recently dealt with serious Vista issues on our PC. One of them was a gradual slowing down process. Researching the problem, I learned I was not alone. I also learned that certain anti-virus programs contribute to the problem, particularly Norton, which was installed on the computer. I eventually resolved most of the problems by reinstalling the system and switching to a different anti-virus program, Avast, which is free and highly recommended. Using Safari as a browser is also recommended as it is the fastest browser available, particularly in comparison with IE. The other solution is to get a Mac, which is a whole other world of happy computing. I offer this information as it pertains to virus protection and choices.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Computer Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hotmail help Calalily 13 Jul 17, 2008 11:51 AM
Screen Capture Programs holty 16 Feb 8, 2010 2:13 AM
This 'problem' is driving me nuts! hczone6 10 Feb 11, 2014 4:24 PM
Laptop recommendations Gwendalou 10 Jul 30, 2007 10:12 PM
G Mail Invitations PudgyMudpies 43 Dec 28, 2007 12:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America