Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

December 3, 2009
11:49 PM

Post #7332720

A lot of folks have shown interest in a rock swap. To work out the particulars, please post here if you may have rocks (mailable size) that you would like to swap.

Here is the thread this thread inspired:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1059565/#new
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2009
12:07 AM

Post #7332786

Me!!!
This one is not for trade, it was my Mom's rock. Some day it will go to one of my children. : )

Thumbnail by valleylynn
Click the image for an enlarged view.

valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2009
12:09 AM

Post #7332790

Out in my rock pile I have many of these rocks uncut, in their natural state. : )

Thumbnail by valleylynn

jadajoy

(Zone 11)

December 4, 2009
12:24 AM

Post #7332849

How cute is that! He looks like a puppy.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2009
12:31 AM

Post #7332874

I knew you all could do it. O.K. will go and find your rocks tomarrow.
Lord knows I need the exercise and we can always start out with the small
mailing box for small rocks. How about that???
RRM
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 4, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #7332918

not sure if i have as many colored stones (rocks would not be mailable) here in the NE as lynn does in big D (Cowboys fan here since 68). most are just grey with some white quartz. i will keep a look out for some nice ones.

i do plan to go to the ocean here in the next couple of weeks weather permitting and grab a few 5 gallon buckets of stones worn down by the waves so maybe i'll have some good ones - in fact i know i will.
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

December 4, 2009
12:52 AM

Post #7332942

The small boxes should work great. Keeps the size to a manageable and convenient size as a guide to how big.

I think person to person would be good so as to keep down on postage. So if someone sees something they like they could just ask for it and use this thread to connect to a trader. How about that?

the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2009
12:57 AM

Post #7332957

So we're talking the small flat rate priority mail boxes, right?

Hmmm. I wonder if I have anything worth swapping. Mostly we just have boring river rock.
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2009
1:04 AM

Post #7332976

Pony, it would be from WA and from a new gardening friend. That makes it special. I have some just plain old rocks here that mean to world to me because of the memories connected to them. There is no such thing as a bad rock, only bad people that use them to throw at some one. I'm sure yours are very well behaved. : )
So that's the $4.95 box?
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

December 4, 2009
1:05 AM

Post #7332983

What may be boring to you may be of interest to someone elsewhere. post a pic and see.

I'm going down to the waterfront and see if theres anything down there of interest. Will post pics soon.
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2009
1:17 AM

Post #7333013

I will wait until tomorrow and take some pictures now that I know what size I'm looking for.
See you all tomorrow.
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

December 4, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #7333029

Night Lynne!
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2009
6:25 AM

Post #7333893

Oh my gosh! I cannot believe you guys are all rockhounds as well! Rocks were my first love, even before plants. I have rocks all over my yard from all the beaches up here in the northwest and from all the places we've traveled. We do have beautiful rocks here, especially when they are tumbled by the sea. I have beautiful rocks from British Columbia up in the Gulf Islands. I'll have to look around and collect some to see if anyone is interested in trading. We have tons of colors of jasper, as well as petrified wood, and even jade. Most of the rocks I have that are small enough to send would look great in a bowl with water. That's how I display mine. I'll have to take photos. Can you tell I'm very excited?
By the way, Petrified wood is our state gemstone. That was a lovely hunk of it on the other page.
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

December 4, 2009
12:56 PM

Post #7334148

Hi Pixie!
Welcome. You sound as excited as the rest of us! Can't wait to see your beautiful rocks. You and Pony are in the same area so we should see some great representations of your state. Pictures of your displays would be great too.

I've been hearing great stories of how rocks bring back memories of places and people. So interesting. I think we should post those here too. Even if they are not for trade.

I am not an expert and tend to pick up rocks that I like without knowing what they are. So am hoping some of the knowlegeable folks here can ID as well or lead to some info on what we are swapping.

Looking forward to the pics!

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 4, 2009
2:28 PM

Post #7334400

How will this be done? If we're thinking in terms of smaller rocks, we could load up flat rate boxes with, say, 10 rocks and send to a hostess with enough postage $ for a flat rate box in return... the hostess would divide up the rocks, and we'd each get 10 different rocks in return. ?

Or are we arranging individual swaps?

I love rocks, but I'd have to see what I could round up "out there" before signing up.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 4, 2009
2:52 PM

Post #7334474

What fun! I just went through the other thread and it sounds like some of y'all have some really gorgeous rocks!

I envy those who live in areas with pretty quartz, slate, river stones etc. I really love rocks, but unfortunately Florida is mostly sand, shell, coquina and coral. I don't have any nice rocks to trade, but I do have a few pieces of fossil coral and sea shells that I've collected over the years from different beaches around Florida and the Bahamas. Would that be suitable to swap for a nice rock or two?

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 4, 2009
2:57 PM

Post #7334498

I wonder if you could find pieces of coquina tabby...

(I love shells, too... need to find a good way to display them... I've thought of embedding a whole bunch in a plaster wall or something... Lynn's lovely porch reminded me of that!)
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 4, 2009
2:58 PM

Post #7334500

plantlady - i like shells and coral too:)

i think think should be an individual swap. what size in inches are we talking about swapping. i would like something that can be seen, not marbles:)
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 4, 2009
2:59 PM

Post #7334508

critter i put mine in large clear glass vases and put saranwrap over them and cut off the excess. you do not even know it is there and it keeps the dust out.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2009
3:06 PM

Post #7334525

My Goodness, you al have been busy. I went to bed last night Early.
I got to go get a pic of my rock and tell you the story behind it. jadajoy,
want me to tell these folks. Give me time to go get a pic and I will.
Charleen
RRM
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

December 4, 2009
3:19 PM

Post #7334564

I like shells and coral too!
Was thinking this might be too heavy a job for a hostess :-) and cost wise too. but its up to you guys.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2009
3:36 PM

Post #7334618

How about if we just mail them to the one promised??
That is going to be a lot of postage too? We got to figure something out...maybe with all our brains together ,we will figure something out.
jadajoy, here is the rock I was telling you about. It is laying under a cedar tree
and the pic is great. When I went to take the pic, it looked so pretty laying there with the needles in the little crevices. Aw, sweet memories.
I grew up in Missouri. My sister and I would go fishing or just riding around. We carried this rock upthe bank, from the Grand River and it took the both of us to get it to the car. We were laughing so hard we almost didn't make it. My sister has passed away but I still have this wonderful rock to remember the good time we had. There is no telling how old it is, cause I m 63 and have had it way over 35 years, at least.

RRM

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2009
4:02 PM

Post #7334686

RRM, love that rock, I not sure but I think it's older than you. : )
You all tickle me so, I'm sitting here all by myself laughing at what you have written.
I agree that it would be better to make trades between individual because of the cost involved.
Here is one idea for shells and coral. They look really cool on the outside of hypertuffa pots also. So many ways to use them. This is getting really fun.
We can post our pictures of what we have to trade, that way if some one wants something bigger they can opt to trade for larger or smaller items. What do you all think?
I will take pictures today and post them.

Thumbnail by valleylynn

jadajoy

(Zone 11)

December 4, 2009
4:39 PM

Post #7334776

Lynn
Wonderful story! The rock pattern looks like a maze in a formal garden. A very nice keepsake. I have a mental picture of the two of you trying to move that rock uphill.

That is a wonderful display of shells!!! Love it. Did you make that?I want to make one too.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2009
4:44 PM

Post #7334788

It would be nice to have a rock from each other and Name and State.
Memory rock garden. I love the Shell display.
You Girls ROCK!!!!
RRM
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

December 4, 2009
4:48 PM

Post #7334804

RRM I love that idea!
That way we could gather the number we need and think of someone in particular and send them a nice specimen. We would need to then just list who is participating and get to it. Pics would still be nice thou.

We might need to follow the new rules for swaps in the swaps forum. Anyone want to look at a sticky over there on the rules and let us know?

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2009
4:51 PM

Post #7334811

Anyone know how to "Borrow" it?
Make a link...
That way we can keep it in mind.
I don't know how to do all that stuff.
I do good to have pic and keep my fingers on the
right keys.☺
RRM
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

December 4, 2009
5:34 PM

Post #7334937

Well I looked over there and there were no stickies. I'm thinking so long as we follow the trading rules we'll be ok. After all its not a coop or anything.

also I saw something for secret santa which might be something else we could consider to make sure everyone gets a specimen. It might be late for xmas but January sounds good too as a kind of round robin.
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

December 4, 2009
5:38 PM

Post #7334946

Here is a link for trading. It pertains primarily for seed but you get the general idea...

http://davesgarden.com/tools/trading_primer/3/
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 4, 2009
5:40 PM

Post #7334952

Hey Critter! I bet there is a lot of "Tabby" around this area but I don't know where I'd have to dig to find it. For the curious folks out there, "Tabby" is a combination of lime, sand and oyster shells mixed with water and used for buildings in the southern coastal areas during the 18th and 19th centuries.

ridesaredmule: That is a neat looking hunk of rock, and what great memories it holds for you! I have a brick that holds sentimental value to me because it came from my grandparents first home that my grandfather built in the early 1900's. When my grandfather passed away the brick went to my mom's sister who knitted/crocheted a cover for it and used it for a door stop! It went to my Mom after my aunt passed and then came to me. The cover is looking very ratty but that brick has history, so it's still here to be passed down to one of my niece's after I'm gone!

valleylynn: Love your colorful shell wall hanging, what a great idea! We have friends who have a vacation home on the waterway here in Florida and she decorated it beautifully and tastefully with a tropical motiff. I've seen some themed rooms that are kind of tacky but she did a lovely job of their vacation place. In the powder room on the first floor she hung a small fish net on the wall that has shells and sand dollars attached. On a shelf behind the toilet there is a starfish and pretty artificial flower arrangement with tropical flowers. I gave her a glass jar with sand and shells that she put on the shelf as well.

I bought this covered glass container about three years ago and first planted it up as a terrarium. The plants got ignored and began to look awful so I dumped the plants, washed the container thoroughly and it sat for awhile until I could figure out what I wanted to do with it! I have done the sand, shells in clear glass vases over the years so decided I'd use this container for the same thing. It sits on a table next to my husbands 150 gal salt water aquarium. This isn't a great photo, the water from the fish tank is reflecting off the glass but you can get an idea of how it lookw ...

Thumbnail by plantladylin

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 4, 2009
5:45 PM

Post #7334964

Again, not a great picture ... my house is dark and it's cloudy, dreary and rainy here today. This is a wire bowl thingy I bought at Wal-Mart years ago. It's had pine cones in it, some of those round grapevine things and even Christmas Ornaments displayed in it over the years. For the past two or so years it's contained the shells, coral and piece of driftwood.

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 4, 2009
5:46 PM

Post #7334970

A glass vase with shells, sitting on top of the aquarium ...

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2009
6:31 PM

Post #7335094

Very pretty Ideas. I like them all.
I believe shells and rocks all go together.
Well, I love rocks, DH gets aggravated at me for moving them.
I figure as long as I don't ask him, he shouldn't worry about it.
Huh? Girl? But he did help on a couple of these. ☺
RRM
Charleen

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 4, 2009
6:55 PM

Post #7335156

Very nice Charleen!

I agree that shells, rocks ... and plants all go together!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2009
7:29 PM

Post #7335263

I took this, this morning.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2009
7:37 PM

Post #7335294

Goofed up, hit the wrong button.
Where's the rocks??? Under that Gargoyle.
Have a lot of rocks here. Seems the old house that was here was sitting on rocks. They didn't have concrete Blocks when the housewas built, or they just couldn't afford them (know that feeling) anyhow it was sitting on all these great rocks and when DH tore house down, I was busy moving rocks. I love it. Must be something wrong with me. Can't figure it out but Now I know I am not the only one. Bless you all.
We are not alone.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 4, 2009
8:42 PM

Post #7335441

Ah, I was thinking that doing a centralized swap would cut down postage costs, assuming we each wanted to trade with several different people... one outgoing flat rate box, and one incoming flat rate box.

You can fit quite a bit into the new large flat rate boxes. From one of Gemini's co-ops, I think he was figuring at least 50 asiatic lily bulbs would fit into a large box, so if we're only trying to fit 10 rocks into a box that's definitely something larger than "pebbles." :-)

But I'm game for whatever works out. January would be better for me... more time to hunt around and find some goodies after the holidays. I like the idea of doing it secret santa style, with everybody finding one neat specimen to send to somebody. Round Robin might also work, if the person starting it could put in several different types... Either of those methods would involve paying postage just once, too.

I love all the shell display ideas! I do have several covered glass containers (and a glass lamp base) filled with shells, but I never thought of saran wrap to keep out the dust. I just brought back an old fishing net from my parents' basement, and I may try to hang that up somewhere an tie shells to it like Lynn's wall hanging

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2009
9:01 PM

Post #7335500

We need to know how many are in it too.
So many questions, got to find answers.
RRM
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2009
9:14 PM

Post #7335513

I'd love to participate, but to be honest, I can only afford to send one box. I'll look around and see what kind of rocks I can come up with that'll fit in the $4.95 flat rate box- I reckon I can find a few nice ones. Who it goes to is the big question.
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2009
10:40 PM

Post #7335693

My head is spinning with all the wonderful pictures of ways to use rocks, shell, etc. What a creative bunch. This is getting more interesting by the day.
I think Jan. would be a great time to exchange.
Even smaller pieces of rocks or pebbles can be used in planting succulent bowls or other potted plants as a miniature landscape feature. Smooth pebbles can be used as plant makers (saw that on another thread). So many things one can do.
Lynn

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2009
10:44 PM

Post #7335708

I like to use rocks in Succulet and Cacti gardens. They don't have to be huge either.
Got to go looking for rocks on the back hills. We need to know how many, I am
so looking forward to this.
RRM
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2009
11:56 PM

Post #7335931

Here is a picture of one source of my rocks.

Thumbnail by valleylynn

valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2009
11:57 PM

Post #7335934

Close up of a few.

Thumbnail by valleylynn

valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2009
11:57 PM

Post #7335936

Another.

Thumbnail by valleylynn

valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2009
11:59 PM

Post #7335940

One more. It is way to cold out so will get better pictures of individual rocks with something to show scale of each maybe tomorrow. Brrrrrrr
Lynn

Thumbnail by valleylynn

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2009
3:02 AM

Post #7336638

Lynn, I could spend an enjoyable day going through those rocks! Here are some photos of the rocks I have in the yard and some that I have that are not sorted yet, which I can send people.

This is a centerpiece for the outdoor table. You can see we got below freezing last night. These are all from beaches in the Gulf Islands of British Columbia.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2009
3:03 AM

Post #7336641

These are around one of the beds up front. sorry about the dead hosta leaves.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2009
3:04 AM

Post #7336642

These are all from places in Washington.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2009
3:05 AM

Post #7336647

These, too, are all from Washington.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2009
3:07 AM

Post #7336658

Some of my favorites. A big hunk of petrified wood from a beach, and a fossil from Racehorse creek up by Bellingham. One can find fossilized palm leaves in that area. I found some, but they are very soft and break easily. My biggest one is broken in three pieces. If I had large machinery, I would have moved a boulder I found at the edge of the creek. It had a complete palm frond on the side.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2009
3:08 AM

Post #7336661

Here's the fossil you can't see in the last photo. It's the rock on the left that is only barely in the photo.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2009
3:09 AM

Post #7336665

Here are some I can trade. You know, photos just don't do rocks justice do they?

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2009
3:11 AM

Post #7336667

And here are more I can trade. They are in a fabric bucket. These all look great in bowls.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2009
3:23 AM

Post #7336706

Pixy, they are all beautiful. You are right, as beautiful as they are in the pictures they are more so in person. What a selection. That's a lovely piece of obsidian, what is the other rock in the same picture? I have some obsidian that is red & black mixed.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2009
3:26 AM

Post #7336717

I have some of the red and black obsidian,, too, but I don't know which part of the yard it's in. I think the red rock in the photo is an agatized red jasper. I love that rock. Red jasper is one of my favorites. Actually, I like all of the jaspers. I found some large hunks of yellow jasper at a beach this summer. It was like a treasure trove.
CreeksideFarm
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2009
4:06 AM

Post #7336840

O.K. girls, I'm in... sign me up for the swap.

I got my rock all loaded up, where do you guys all want this delivered to ?

Diana

Thumbnail by CreeksideFarm

CreeksideFarm
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2009
4:10 AM

Post #7336850

Oh, hang on, I just noticed the back tire's gettin a little low. I'll have to take a look for the Jack and the spare... Be right back.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 5, 2009
5:02 AM

Post #7336982

Diana now we are talkin! that is a rock!!!

it is going to take me some time to gather some rocks from the sea shore of the atlantic to swap. i have some small cool ones that are either water or glaciet worn that i will include. this does not have to happen tommow does it? as soon as i have some rock i am willing to give up - i will chime in.
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2009
5:04 AM

Post #7336983

LOL! I love that rock! Bring it on over, I have just the spot for it! ;)
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

December 5, 2009
5:48 AM

Post #7337084

Hey You Guys! Don't forget me! I love rocks, too. I will look to see what I can find to trade.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2009
5:54 AM

Post #7337094

I knew Lynn would find us!!
Darn, I wish Pony hadn't seen that huge rock first. She gets all the cool ones.
Wha,, I don't think this is going to happen tomorrow. We don't even know yet how we're doing it! LOL!
CreeksideFarm
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2009
6:02 AM

Post #7337107

OK, Pony, you get the rock...

But you might have to send a whole team of ponies over with a cart to pick it up...

Seein's how I can't find the spare tire and the jack is broke ;^)
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2009
6:08 AM

Post #7337116

LOL I have a truck, and Oregon isn't that far... ;D

(I'm picturing my poor little truck collapsing under the weight of that rock... oh, lordy.)
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2009
6:38 AM

Post #7337152

Well, pony, you've moved a ton of rocks already... what's one more??
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2009
7:15 AM

Post #7337184

*snicker* Yeah, just one little rock... how heavy could it be? ;p

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 5, 2009
12:25 PM

Post #7337366

Count me in. I'll have to look around for some of that beautiful KY sandstone or limestone.

Doug
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2009
2:47 PM

Post #7337663

I am so laughing. I'll up the anti, a bucket of Apache Tears, one of the neighbors Bassett Hounds (can't bare to give up one of my Rat Terriers), Golden Chain Tree, and 1/3 of my rock pile. Does the car come with it Diana?
CreeksideFarm
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2009
3:32 PM

Post #7337805

OK, I'll throw in the car too, but bring your tow truck...

Can't seem to get it started...
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

December 5, 2009
4:17 PM

Post #7337978

Ha! It looks like a dolphin. We can't trade him! I say we make him our forum mascot. The Big Red Dolphin Rock.

Sorry Lynn. The neighbors get to keep their dog.
Pony...unhitch the ponies.

He's a keeper :-)

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2009
4:35 PM

Post #7338035

Better get a mule!! Oh, I gotone. Where you want that rock dragged too???
That is neat. A neightbor up the road had a huge rock inhis yard I would love.
DH said "you are all a bunch of rock heads" when I told him we were trading rocks.
Nothing surprizes him much what I'm going to do.
Durn, forgot I got the mule but not the wagon??? Bummer...
RRM
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2009
6:49 PM

Post #7338479

Okay, so we don't all sell our home and children to aquire this rock, I think Jada is right. He should be our Mascot.
My neighbors will be relieved. And actually I would miss the Bassett big time. They both are so sweet and make me laugh.
RRM, that's a long way for that mule to travel, how long do you think the trip would take?
Can't wait to see a picture of Doug's sandstone/limestone.
I am so glad we are waiting until Jan to trade. It gives us all time after Christmas to plan and trade. : )
Wahoooo!!!! Rocks Rule.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2009
7:20 PM

Post #7338587

Hey, you all I took a pic of some rocks.
My mule wasn't anywhere near so I had to
use what was handy. This is my girl, Missy.
Germ/Lab mix. She is a really good dog.
When I go for walks in the woods, she is with me.
RRM

jadajoy

(Zone 11)

December 5, 2009
7:42 PM

Post #7338674

Awww. I love big dogs! Wish I could hug her. Labs are so loyal. She'd ship the rocks if you asked her :-)
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2009
7:43 PM

Post #7338680

Well, I guess RRM is not going to trade that one for the rock, so quit planning airline schedules Diana. She sounds way to attached. : )
Besides your two would feel you didn't love them anymore.
Here's one of mine.
Caption: Hey Mom, there's a big rock in all this green stuff.

Thumbnail by valleylynn

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2009
7:48 PM

Post #7338698

Oh, it is so pretty!!! Was it born without it's little legs,
Is it a rescue? It is so pretty. That is a beautiful pic. of your baby.
Missy stands still and helps me get up, if I sit and get stiff. He is a
good girl. Very protective, but she is not mean. She's my baby.
RRM
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

December 5, 2009
7:51 PM

Post #7338715

LOL! Love your rock hound. Doe he stand like that on his own? He looks so intelligent.
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2009
8:11 PM

Post #7338776

He is a rescue, was 3 years old when I brought him home. Very long story. He is very smart and now very strong. He also finished training for CGC and Certified Therapy Dog. He does volunteer work with special needs children and even makes visits to the rehab hospital. We had him for almost 3 years now. You should have heard the cheers when he completed is obedience test. We were all in tears. He couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about. : )
He was born with incomplete front legs and blind in one eye. He doesn't seem to know anything is different for him.
Here he is with our other RT going golfing with Dad.

Thumbnail by valleylynn

valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2009
8:13 PM

Post #7338782

He walks on his back feet like a little person now, he couldn't do that when I brought him home. He thinks he's is 10 feet tall now. : )
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

December 5, 2009
8:17 PM

Post #7338804

How wonderful of you to take him in and invest so much into his well being. You are an angel and he is a lucky dog!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2009
8:28 PM

Post #7338871

Yes, you are an angel, and the dog is priceless, both of them.
See, I told you, you girls ROCK!!!!
RRM
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2009
8:31 PM

Post #7338898

I am a lucky person. I was just suppose to do physical rehab with him for the Humane Society so they could adopt him out. When his rehab was over and time to take him back I had a melt down. I realized I fell in love with him.
You should see him trying to dig around the rock pile. I'm sure there are mice in there and he wants them to come out and play. : ) He has caught 2 so far under my potting bench. He doesn't play very nice with them however. He keeps having to find new mouse friends.
Here he is at school with his very favorite kids, he really loves these kids and they love him. They are 'teaching' Petrie the art of reading. : ) He gives them such confidence.

This message was edited Dec 5, 2009 9:33 PM

Thumbnail by valleylynn

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 6, 2009
5:56 AM

Post #7340647

What a cool dog! I'll bet he is just great with kids, and I'll bet he would be quite the role model for kids and adults with disabilities, too.
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

December 6, 2009
1:02 PM

Post #7341017

Welcome to all the new interested persons!

So far I think we have agreed that after the holidays would be a better time frame and give us time to rock hound for goodies.

We will use the flat rate boxes for shipping to cut down on costs.

Individual swaps or one lucky volunteer hostess?

If we have a hostess I think we should limit the number of participants to make it manageable. Maybe 10 persons? Then the hostess will not be overwhelmed, or pull a muscle:-) and maybe we will get a volunteer?

Then we would be mailing a set number of rocks, one for each person. Each person would then get ten. We could then post pics, as many as you like, and a list and select from each persons list, which we would like to receive so everyone gets what they like. Since this is not like seeds, in that every rock is different, personal preference would have to be done from the pics posted.

The shells and coral should be shipped separately and pics posted same as the rocks for individual selection.

Also, if a person has all one kind of rock it will still work.

Whadaya think?

valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 6, 2009
4:00 PM

Post #7341396

Yeah Jada. Great planning. I think limiting it to 11 persons (that's how many are on here now) is a good idea, otherwise it would become overwhelming.
jadajoy
valleylynn
ridesredmule
wha
the1pony
pixydish
critterologist
plantladylin
CreeksideFarm
LynnWeidman
postmandug
Does everyone on this list want to participate? If so how, jada how do we close this list?
I am not familar with the proper procedure on DG.
Lynn
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2009
4:29 PM

Post #7341480

i would like to participate although waiting till the spring might be best - there is snow on the grond here now.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 6, 2009
4:43 PM

Post #7341515

I didn't even think that some folks would have snow by now. That's a good point.

Also, even if we do flat rate boxes, sending ten boxes is going to be 50$. People may be fine with that, but seeing it in print might put some folks off.
I was wondering if we might trade individual lots. We could post photos of groups of rocks that would be sent together and trade for other groups of rocks if the rocks are fairly small. Others could be traded for individually or in smaller groups.
I like the idea of posting what is available and letting people choose what they want.
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

December 6, 2009
4:51 PM

Post #7341540

Sorry about the snow, wha. I hope it is gone by mailing time, somewhere in January. Can you still get pics?

Good idea! Individual "lots" would be better. Even better is a hostess volunteer to send them all to. Any takers??? Come on...don't be shy :-)
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #7341636

i do not have rocks to share yet
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

December 6, 2009
5:22 PM

Post #7341645

Did I hear wha speak up?? You said you want to be the hostess? :-)
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2009
5:47 PM

Post #7341721

not me - i would prefer that everyone post pics when they can and dmail who you would like to trade with and work it out individually

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 6, 2009
5:59 PM

Post #7341741

Not me, no hostess. I don't know what to
do to keep ME organized, little own a hundred rocks!!!
RRM
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

December 6, 2009
6:00 PM

Post #7341746

That was the original plan but it could get costly.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 6, 2009
6:12 PM

Post #7341770

What about if we didn't set a date just keep track of everyone and mail them when we got them. I am on a fixed income so I can only
mail around the first of the month. I will get everyone their rocks they just have to be patient. I know about not being patient, but you sort learn to get patient as life moves on. I don't know. I want to send nice rocks to folks. Got into a lot of "first time I've ever done it's" here on Daves, but I love trying. Don't you all?
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

December 6, 2009
6:42 PM

Post #7341851

RRM I think when we set a date it will give everyone plenty of time to mail out the goodies. Don't worry :-)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 6, 2009
7:09 PM

Post #7341942

Maybe we've got 2 different things going on here... a round robin sort of thing involving an assortment of smaller rocks, and also arranging for individual trades of larger specimens.

We could do a regular round robin where the box is forwarded to one person at a time, and that person gets to take out rock(s) and put in other rocks (like the tomato seed round robin that zztop has hosted in the past)... but the problem is that sometimes life happens and the box gets "stuck" with somebody and doesn't complete its rounds. Better I think would be to do a "virtual round robin" where everybody sends rocks to a hostess, who posts photos of the rocks, and then we take turns choosing rocks for our return box. Postage would be around $20 or $30 to participate ($11 if we used the smallest flat rate boxes and did fewer or smaller rocks).

Even if we have 11 participants, we could just do, say, a 5 rock box... everybody would get 5 turns to pick a rock from the rockpile... and we just wouldn't end up with 1 rock from each participant. I think it would be more fun to have a rock from everybody in the robin, so I'd rather do a bigger box. We'd randomize the turn taking, so the first person to pick from participant A's pile wouldn't be the first person to pick from the other piles.

I don't think the rocks have to be huge, just big enough to be a nice accent in a container. And to me it makes sense to allow shells or coral pieces to be mixed with a participant's rocks... if somebody doesn't want a shell, they can just pick a rock.

There's snow on my rocks now, also. :-)

Would we want to concentrate on local rocks (interesting everywhere, but prettier from some places than others), or are we digging into our rock stashes for this? The closest we get to "fancy" rocks around here are chunks of mostly-white quartz... but I could sweeten my offering with a handful of NC seashells! LOL

I might be able to host after the holidays, but I'm reluctant to volunteer for sure because life with an infant is uncertain! :-)

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 6, 2009
8:45 PM

Post #7342179

How is that new baby doing?? Bet she is growing.
She grow up to be a RockBaby.
O.K. I will try not to worry. I just don't want anyone to feel cheated.
Do we clean the moss off the rocks or leave it? I have some moss on
a few of them I want to take a little rake I got to see what I really have.
Do we want to Wash them?
Oh, girls, I do ask questions.
RRM
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 6, 2009
9:11 PM

Post #7342270

HELP! RRM, don't clean the moss off. **
That's GA moss and the rocks are so beautiful with it. : )
I'm like RRM, on a fixed income, so can't afford to send a bunch of boxes. Oh, so maybe the host thing would work, I could just send one great big (under 70#) box to the hostess with return postage? Remember, 'If it fits, it ships'. That's what the commercials say. : )
I also think shells and coral or fossels can be included. They all will be great in the garden or home. : )
We have plenty of time to work it out. YEAH
Lynn
susybell
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 6, 2009

Post #7342271

This looks fun, is it full or is there still room for more rock lovers? If it is, can I still lurk? I like rocks enough that I've even got a pair of earrings made with Columbia R. Rock and sterling silver. I don't have a picture of them, but I could take one if anyone wants to see them? They were my BD present from DH-I can't say he's never given me big rocks for my ears anymore, lol...They came from a local art festival.

As far as my "native" rocks go, I've got lots of palm-ish sized river-y rocks, lots in a reddish tone, some more ocher (first time I think I've ever used "ocher" to actually describe a color). I've made myself a very non-functional dry stream bed sort of thing to show off lots of them, but I'll need to get all the doug fir needles off to show them to best advantage, and they look even better wet. No good pictures of it, either, though. Then there are the various inhouse piles, etc...

And, like everyone else, no time before the holidays for anything new, but something to liven up the January doldrums would be fabulous!

RRM, love your channel-y rock-I can see why you & your sister have kept it that long. Valleylynn, what a treasure trove! I'd love to know where to go to actually find some like that "In the wild", so to speak. Melissa, one of these days I'd like a "rock tour" of your gardens, more specifically...maybe winter would be good?

Y'know, it's interesting, it's almost like there's two groups here- east coast and west coast. postmandug is the only person from the middle? (And we all know there are some very,very, very large rocks right in the middle...maybe those folks don't need any more???)

Critter, shells in with rocks doesn't seem like a happy thing for the shells unless they're super-well padded?

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 6, 2009
9:35 PM

Post #7342339

Everyone else can send bubble wrap for the shells. How about that? Got to protect the rocks...☺
Yes, send pic of the rocks I might be able to make some. I am rather crafty.
Especially if I get the right glue. Guess we are into everything, You might say.
RRM

valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 6, 2009
9:35 PM

Post #7342340

Would love to see your picture susybell. : )
Sounds like a gift of love to me.
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 6, 2009
9:37 PM

Post #7342345

RRM, that is beautiful, and you made it?
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

December 6, 2009
9:37 PM

Post #7342346

LOL! Hi susybell. Yes, welcome. You are too funny. Sure, post pics of whatever you like and start collecting those palm size rocks for us. They sound like the right size.

Critter! You have snow too! I think you got the picture just right. We will either do individual picks or divy them up from a hostess if and when we get one. We have another month to think about it and collect our specimens. Good luck with the new baby! Remember, get your sleep when they sleep :-)

Joyce
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

December 6, 2009
9:39 PM

Post #7342350

Thats really nice RRM. You are rocking talented :-)

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 6, 2009
9:43 PM

Post #7342360

Thanks girls. Yes, I make them They are made of copper wire,
Love to make them. Got some made up for Christmas too.
Already made some for some of the girls here. They like them.
I wear these all the time. They are tough.
Who wants a bracelet?
When I rade I usually include one.
RRM
Aunt_A

December 6, 2009
9:45 PM

Post #7342365

Dear darlin' rock lovers,

Would somebody be kind enough to send me a huge rock? I'll tell ya what it looks like. Here, followin' is the description:

1.) See through, usually.
2.) Is sometimes described as broken glass, ice or even metallic glazed (like aluminum).
3.) Dirt doesn't "stick" to it like other rocks.
4.) Has been described as having an internal fire.
5.) Can be found in Murfreesboro, Arkansas.
6.) Has different grades.
7.) Can also be found with lamproite, amethyst, banded agate, jasper, peridot, garnet, quartz, calcite, barite and hematite
8.) On November 28th, someone found a 86 point white beauty!!! (Wish that had been me!) Actually, I wish I would have found Uncle Sam...40.23 carats uncut. Whoo hoo. I was born to late to find that one.
9.) Need a clue? http://www.squidoo.com/diamondmine
10.) Here is a link to yellow, brown and white UNCUT ones. See how pretty they are even uncut?!? (Click on the 2nd picture down on the right). http://www.craterofdiamondsstatepark.com/photo-gallery/

So, ya'all game? It ain't gonna take much moola for postage as these babies are small.

LOL; thought you rock hounds would enjoy this as much as I do. I've got a few jaspers and misc. from my travels to the diamond mine.

World's best rock swap! Pay a little and walk away w/ a diamond. (Or wish you had, in my case!)

This message was edited Dec 6, 2009 3:47 PM
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

December 6, 2009
9:55 PM

Post #7342418

Not a problem Aunt A! All we need is for someone from Arkansas to check in and join the fun. Give them your request and walk away a happy camper :-)

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 6, 2009
9:58 PM

Post #7342428

Aunt_A that was great. Maybe when it warms up.
Have to try out NC they have mines there too. But think that
is mostly for the rock hounds. Is my tongue hanging out? ☺
I love rocks. Plants , animals, too much .
RRM
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

December 6, 2009
11:44 PM

Post #7342722

RRM,
Are you sure what you have is a plain old rock & not an artifact ?

It truly is an unusual shape, the curves almost look carved.

If you have this swap next year I may be tempted to join - I collected
rocks for many years - had to leave many of the larger ones behind when I moved (no room in the van) but still plenty to share!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 6, 2009
11:50 PM

Post #7342744

I believed it to be sort of a sandstone, I just know we got that big heavy rock up that riverbank and after I moved to Ga.; I brought it with me.
It is a beautiful rock. My sister passed away in a car wreck but i still have this rock to remember her and the fun we had getting it up that bank. They are carved by the Grand River in Missouri.
RRM

This message was edited Dec 6, 2009 6:51 PM
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 7, 2009
12:26 AM

Post #7342866

I watched one of the adventure programs on tv about diamond hunting in Murphysboro. I was great fun just watching it. : )

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 7, 2009
12:34 AM

Post #7342886

I think it would be neat to go to a diamond mine. Probably all I'd get would be a neat rock.
but That would be great. Guess it doesn't take much to amuse me, huh??? ☺
RRM
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 7, 2009
1:14 AM

Post #7343021

thought i would post a couple rocks i collected this year - not for shipping though - these weight over a hunderd lbs.

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 7, 2009
1:18 AM

Post #7343038

here's an arch

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 7, 2009
1:23 AM

Post #7343051

and last a cool one with very intricate grooves all over it - not sure what kind of rock it is - same as the first pic - very heavy and dark brown to black

Thumbnail by wha

Aunt_A

December 7, 2009
1:48 AM

Post #7343128

I'm addicted. Sometimes for a present, I'll tell my DH that I just want to go to the Arkansas Diamond Mine.

It is really just this huge bare field of dirt that goes on and on and on. It seems to be sticky and almost quick sand (LOL) when it rains, horribly hot and dry in the sun and freezing cold in the winter.

Someday, I'll find a huge diamond. I'd like to find one of the rare colors, like green or sunshine yellow. But, I'll sell it so I don't have to worry about keeping it safe. Then, I'll pay my bills off. LOL...like winning the lottery but so much better because no one else looses a bunch so I can gain. (Unless you count the ones that didn't find the treasure first.)

Love all these rock pics this thread. I'm not going to join in this exchange but maybe another one once I have the chance to go back to Arkansas and get some pretty stones.
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 7, 2009
1:55 AM

Post #7343145

Oh I was hoping to join in but just got to the bottom of the thread. I have a collection of heart shaped rocks and a couple of oddities. Will get a picture tomorrow. If you can take more people I would like to join. I have many large rocks placed around my garden. Had a backhoe bring in one from up the road. Lugged some home with a hand truck. Fun!
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 7, 2009
2:24 AM

Post #7343252

Wow! Y'all have some great rocks! I have always wanted a garden with a rock wall and I've always thought it would be great to have a rock fence around the yard! I guess I should live somewhere else other than Florida, which is all sand! My love of rock walls must come from my Irish heritage ... I've only seen pictures but have always dreamed of Ireland!

wa: Love, Love, Love that arch as well as that hunk of what looks like granite!

I will be watching this thread to see what the final details end up being for this swap. I tend to agree with whoever had the idea earlier in the thread of the less expensive way, with the hostess making a list of names of the participants and matching one person up with another. And I think the cheapest way to ship would probably be using the large USPS Priority Flat Rate box.

If we go the route where everyone sends a box of rocks to the hostess for her to divide, re-box and label ... we will all have to send the hostess enough $$ for postage to ship a box back to us. So, we'd be paying for postage two ways. If we each have a swap partner it would be postage one way to that one person.

I will be watching to see if this is a go for next spring ... it would be a fun swap!

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 7, 2009
3:01 AM

Post #7343368

I'm game for a 1 way swap, too... but I'd rather pay postage 2 ways and end up with rocks from a bunch of different people.

Could be we've got the start of several different swaps here, depending on what people want to do. :-)
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

December 7, 2009
3:17 AM

Post #7343435

Welcome Willowwind2 and Plantladylin! Keep checking in for updates. We will definitely be making this happen:-)

Oh wha! I love your rock wall and the arch! I want one!
How long did it take to do that? Did you have someone come in with a shipment and then assemble them?

I am of the same mind Jill. I don't think two way postage would be so bad. Not considering the many different kinds of rocks you will be getting.Swapping with one person limits you to rocks from that one area.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 7, 2009
3:59 AM

Post #7343590

RRM, those are awesome bracelets. Everyone has such cool rocks. I would love to go to that diamond mine in Arkansas. That state is full of great rocks.
One of the best, most fun rock collecting trips I've done is to an opal mine in Australia. I could have spent days and days going through the tailings. We did find some opals, but not big ones. Still, they are really cool. That diamond mine reminds me of a place up in British columbia that I'd like to go to some day. Here is a link:
http://www.rockcandymine.com/

I've been playing with making some jewelry out of some of the washed limestone I got this summer. It comes from one specific beach on San Juan Island, one that can be reached only by boat. We go to that beach just so I can get these rocks. They are so smooth, it's like they are polished. Plus, you can watch the Orcas from there.
I got silver covered copper wire and wrapped it around the rocks. The agate in the middle is one I found at a bead store. Wish I had found it on a beach somewhere, but nope.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

susybell
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 7, 2009
5:50 AM

Post #7343853

Very nice jewelry RRM & Pixy! I've dabbled a bit in wire wrapping and jewelry beading, but I haven't put in enough time to get any good results like those. I've got all the tools, though. Keep posting-maybe you'll inspire me to try again. :)

This is the artist who made my earrings. She does necklaces and pendants too. http://www.rbashara.com/index.htm

wha, that arch is really neat-is it just held together with friction/compression and gravity or has it been reinforced somehow?

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 7, 2009
12:59 PM

Post #7344190

Susybell. that's way fancier than what I make, but very beautiful.
Pixydish, Keep wrapping ,girl. Those are pretty good.
wha, loved the leaning rocks, now I got to try that.
Why can't we send to indiviuals sooner or later?
We all want to trade.
RRM
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 7, 2009
1:21 PM

Post #7344223

jada this is new england i've got plenty of rocks here.

the arch is pretty easy to build - first you need a bunch of flat stone and a few that are wider on the outside - grab a sturdy planter and stack the stone around the planter - slowly pull the planter out and the rocks own weight will hold them up - i have a couple of them
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

December 7, 2009
1:26 PM

Post #7344231

LOl. oh, rock envy... I need to move :-)

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 7, 2009
5:13 PM

Post #7344978

Suzybell you are indeed right about the rocks in the middle!

Here's rocks from off my hill behind the house.

Doug

Thumbnail by postmandug

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 7, 2009
6:04 PM

Post #7345186

postmandug: That is a lovely setting!

I wish I had a big truck and could go someplace and bring a bunch of big rocks home to Florida! I'd love a huge boulder or two as well! I could buy such things locally but I bet it would be rather expensive. How wonderful it would be to live somewhere where you could dig your own rocks!

After returning from the P.O. this morning I figure a medium size flat rate priority mail box: [HYPERLINK@shop.usps.com] for $10.35 will hold quite a few small to medium size rocks! I shipped a medium flat rate package to my cousin in Maryland this morning. It weighed 7lbs 5 oz and I felt the $10.35 was a pretty good deal.

If someone has larger rocks the large flat box would work really well: [HYPERLINK@shop.usps.com] and would only cost $13.95 for whatever you can fit in it!

:-) I wonder if some folks would think we are a bit crazy for spending money to ship rocks?

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 7, 2009
6:23 PM

Post #7345274

Probably, We can tell them "they're fruitcakes"How about that??
It's our money, not there business what we ship as long as it is not illegal.
Ain't that right, folks?
I'm with lin, that is a nice pic. you let us see.
RRM
Charleen
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 7, 2009
7:49 PM

Post #7345717

This is such an entertaining place to be. I'm sitting here laughing while I'm reading and enjoying all the wonderful creative ideas and pictures. Wow, what a bunch of creative people, and they all love rocks AND have such a wonderful sense of humour. Who could ask for anything more.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 7, 2009
8:11 PM

Post #7345783

I heard someone not too long ago telling their child they must have rocks for brains and it brought a smile to my face because I remember years ago my own mom saying that to one of my brothers when he did something stupid. :-)
susybell
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 7, 2009
11:59 PM

Post #7346621

Rocks in my head? Why no, they're in this box...

Doug, nice beds/walls/terraces. You've got great rocks to work with, looks like.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 8, 2009
4:46 AM

Post #7347553

Sue, I LOVE her stuff! How beautiful! I would love to have a job where i just sat around and made beautiful things all day.The ones I've done so far took about 15 minutes to do and I'm not sure they will hold up to real world wearing. I would like to learn how to do nicer work, but alas, only 24 hours in a day. I'd have to give something else up!

Postmandug, that is lovely!

I do love seeing what people have done with rocks in their yards. I started my collection with a piece of tar, gravel, and shell from a road in East Texas. I was 2 and my dad didn't make me put it down. As I grew up, we moved all the time because dad was military. Each time I had to leave behind many rocks and it was very painful, I guess. I used to tell my parents I would live in a rock house, have rock furniture, and eat rocks for dinner each night. My favorite show was the Flintstones.
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

December 8, 2009
4:50 AM

Post #7347569

Quoting:I used to tell my parents I would live in a rock house, have rock furniture, and eat rocks for dinner each night. My favorite show was the Flintstones.

Thats the cutest thing I ever heard. I genuinely laughed out loud!

I think we have the nicest bunch of rockfolks ever!
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 8, 2009
4:58 AM

Post #7347589

Rock people are nice like gardening people and when you combine them, it's really hard to beat.
I could never understand why my family didn't love my rocks the way I did. But then, they don't love plants the way I do, either. Sigh.
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

December 8, 2009
5:08 AM

Post #7347611

Pixy
Yes. The gardening/rock combo is hard to beat!

I was in the military and moved a lot too. A friend gave me a book about collecting stones from wherever you are to remind you of the place. I tried to do that but wouldn't always remember. I will find the book and post the title here.

I do have some lava stone from Iceland. It is very interesting in that it has what looks like breathing holes all over it. I will try to get pics up but am in finals week at school and I graduate in December so I'm swamped right now. But in a week or so I can post away:-)

the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 8, 2009
6:42 AM

Post #7347763

When I was in New Zealand, I wanted to bring home gifts for all my friends, but couldn't afford to buy stuff... so I brought everybody rocks. hehe. Just small ones, but there were quite a few of them. My suitcase was quite heavy. ;)
susybell
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 8, 2009
6:59 AM

Post #7347781

My family's mostly the same about the rocks and gardening, except that when I was very small and my parents and me (Me? I? whichever...) would go to the beach we would all look for white rocks. About 10 years ago I gave my mom a small pure white rock in a black velvet jewelry box as one of her xmas gifts and she still has it sitting front and center on a shelf in her living room.

Pix, yes, I'd love to have more of her jewelry. :) The earrings are somewhat heavy, though, but still pretty comfy. She's said she will also make custom pieces for people with rocks they provide. Not in my budget right now, but maybe someday.

I found this book when I was on vacation this fall and it just occurred to me this thread is the perfect place to mention it. It's an "art book" for beach stones. Each page has a single beautiful beach rock with a paragraph of text on the opposite page.
http://www.amazon.com/Beach-Stones-Josie-Iselin/dp/0810955334/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260254698&sr=1-1

Jada, the breathing holes are air bubbles from when the rock was molten...hard to imagine, huh? (I took a geology class on volcanoes once-the field trips were really neat, although we didn't get to go beyond Washington. )

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 8, 2009
7:57 AM

Post #7347822

Sue, I've been searching for a long time for a book that would help me identify the stones I pick up on the beach. So far, I've not found one. I found a sort of fold-out laminated thingy at a book store this summer, but I was unimpressed with how many rocks they identified. I was hoping that book would turn out to be the one! It looks like more of an artistic type, as you say. Beautiful photo on the front. Wish I could 'see inside' the book on Amazon.
Aunt_A

December 8, 2009
11:55 AM

Post #7347928

My mother threw out my rock collection when I was between 5 and 8 years old. I've teased her that I was emotionally damaged by loosing my collection. LOL

To me, those chunks of nothing were everything.

Guess what mom collects now (other than a little bit of everything from egg cartons to costume jewlery). Yep. LOL I gave her some nice fools gold a few years ago. Found it at a yard sale. Found a lovely thunder rock, too.

Edited to say: Sorry, I'd better get back on topic before the general public Thread Mothers say something.

Ummm...what is the topic? Trading rocks. See, I said it so my post is okay :-)

This message was edited Dec 8, 2009 5:59 AM

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 8, 2009
12:58 PM

Post #7348029

O.K. I'm Game. What is a Thunder Rock?? Moms sometimes don't understand us ,but we learned it from them. Love you Moms while you got them, Girls. Wish mine was around collecting things, my Mom collected all kinds of things. She like Rocks too.
You are a travelling Pony, How marvelous. I'd have rocks in my suitcases too.
RRM
Charleen
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 8, 2009
6:11 PM

Post #7348939

My mother nurtured my love of rocks. Wish she was here to share this thread with. She would love each and everyone of you. : )
My biggest aquisition was from Kauai. I found two matching rocks on the beach filled with tiny air holes (volcanic rock). I packed them into my carry on bag, put them through the security screening and when it came out the end the security guard gave me one of those looks. He said 'You know about the legend?'. I said yes. My sister standing beside me turned and looked him in the eyes and said 'Don't worry, it's just her breast implants.). The guy was so taken aback by the comment he didn't know what to do. So he just passed us through. They are out in my garden with tiny succulents growing in them. I love those rocks, so did my Mom.
I will take a picture of them and post it. : )
Lynn
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

December 8, 2009
7:11 PM

Post #7349137

Ha! What legend??? Please tell...
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 8, 2009
7:38 PM

Post #7349224

If you take volcanic rocks from the Island it is supposed to bring you bad luck from the Volcano God? That was in 2004. He hasn't found me yet. : ) Plants love the two rocks.
Aunt_A

December 9, 2009
1:29 AM

Post #7350265

Sorry...we call them Thunder rocks but they are really called Thunder eggs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderegg

Beautiful things.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2009
3:46 AM

Post #7350682

ok the link talked about washington state - how did they get to OK?
Aunt_A

December 9, 2009
4:03 AM

Post #7350729

Hmmmm...how about..."they got in a rock trade"?

Dunno. Maybe somebody sent them to somebody else and that somebody didn't think they were too special so that somebody sold them in the yard sale here in OK, then I found them at the yard sale and bought them, then gave 'em to my momma.

Or maybe somebody's momma didn't like the rock collection and so she sold 'em in a yard sale, then I bought 'em here in OK and...whoknows?

LOL

:-)

P.S. Yes, I love mom. Memories are memories and if she threw my poor little collection of junk rocks away, she threw them away. (They really were a poor pitful collection that I glued on cardboard). So, if you find some little rocks, glued in crazy directions all over a cardboard at a yard sale some day, maybe...just maybe you are looking at my little collection from the 70s or before but I don't think I'll claim the "before" part. LOL
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 9, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #7351606

My daughter & family lived it Utah for several years, they went into the hills outside there little town and gathered Thunder Eggs by the buckets.
Aunt_A

December 10, 2009
2:20 AM

Post #7353977

How awesome! Maybe someone from that area will join the trade! I could look at Thunder Eggs for hours.
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

December 10, 2009
4:10 AM

Post #7354287

Me too! They are truly beautiful!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 10, 2009
12:09 PM

Post #7354690

I want one, I've hear of them til now. I opened the link. They are beautiful.
Thunder eggs are really prett. Thanks for letting me know.
jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2009
6:59 PM

Post #7355873

I just came across this thread and find it enlightening. I've a lot of rocks, crystals, and fossils. Heres a pile of garden rock.

Thumbnail by jmorth

jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2009
7:01 PM

Post #7355882

some more

Thumbnail by jmorth

jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2009
7:02 PM

Post #7355885

pile of geodes

Thumbnail by jmorth

jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2009
7:03 PM

Post #7355887

tumblers

Thumbnail by jmorth

jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2009
7:05 PM

Post #7355892

97 pound geode

Thumbnail by jmorth

valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 10, 2009
7:22 PM

Post #7355939

jmorth, welcome aboard. Great rock pictures, treasures every one of them. We are still working out how we will do a rock trade come next year. All ideas are welcome.
Lynn
jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2009
7:29 PM

Post #7355962

I'll keep tracking the thread.

Thumbnail by jmorth

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 10, 2009
7:49 PM

Post #7356047

jmorth i think that 97 pound geode looks ot be no more than 93 lbs!!

great collection - did you find all of those yourself?
jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2009
8:22 PM

Post #7356176

Probably about a third, another third were bought, the remainder traded for. I found most of the rocks in this section of the collection:

Thumbnail by jmorth

jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2009
8:34 PM

Post #7356219

This thread shows where I collect quartz in Arkansas- http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/484928/#top
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

December 10, 2009
8:36 PM

Post #7356228

Very nice jmorth! Nice displays and quite a variety. I particularly like the tumblers.
jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2009
8:37 PM

Post #7356235

Thanks...this thread illustrates where many of my fossils were collected. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/631767/
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 10, 2009
8:45 PM

Post #7356261

J, thank you for the link. It was amazing and very interesting.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 10, 2009
8:46 PM

Post #7356264

very nice - i have never mined for any rock here is what i usually do.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/873748/
jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2009
8:59 PM

Post #7356309

astonishing wha...fantastic project; the rewards of your labor are magnificent
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 10, 2009
9:27 PM

Post #7356411

wha, you do beautiful work. How did you learn to make it so stable? I love dry stacked walls. I also love that type of stone. Great pictures on that thread.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 10, 2009
11:22 PM

Post #7356753

I went to get hay this afternoon for the longears. Red rocks, I found.
Thought of our little rock hound bunch. Picked some of them up.
Not as pretty as those above but not bad.
RRM
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 10, 2009
11:24 PM

Post #7356770

Way to go RRM. : )

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 10, 2009
11:28 PM

Post #7356777

thought of you, when I was picking them up.
I was out there yelling to my hubby"red rocks, Robert, Redrocks!"
he just went on getting the hay. But that was o.k. I got the rocks.
Have to go get them and take a pic for you.
He thinks I'm sort of "rocky" sometimes. That's o.k.
RRM
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

December 10, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #7356784

Ha! I've been more conscious of rocks in my environment too. I saw a very pretty huge speckled one. It was in the Micky D's parking lot. Would I have been wrong...lol

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 10, 2009
11:40 PM

Post #7356822

I thought that Briefly as I was walking along looking for more than one.
Here they are. One sort of big, 3 sort of little. 4 3/4" long x 2" is size
of large one., so it's not great big. When I go back will look for 6 more,
but I still have the ones down in the woods.
Love it...
RRM

valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 11, 2009
12:16 AM

Post #7356948

Rocky is good. : ) I do believe we could have great times together if we lived close by. : )
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 11, 2009
12:17 AM

Post #7356952

ooh, they've got that great GA red clay color! :-)
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 11, 2009
2:10 AM

Post #7357415

Very cool rocks RRM.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 11, 2009
2:42 PM

Post #7358603

Got to get some more to share. Need lots of rocks for our
rock swap!!! Thank you
RRM

This message was edited Dec 11, 2009 9:43 AM

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

December 12, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #7360225

Can I get in on this? Anyone got petrified wood? I have some Jerusalem rocks from the one and only Jerusalem! Beautiful! I collect rocks everywhere I go. My kids keep telling me that I'm going to get arrested one day! LOL
love, julie

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2009
12:55 AM

Post #7360252

Sounds like you already belong. We are not steal, merely re-locating them.
We can't help it if it is on our own personal world ☺
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2009
1:02 AM

Post #7360275

It's kind of like when they bring new plants from other countries. They miss there native rocks, so we have to bring them from all over to make the plants happy?
Welcome froggie. : )
I watched The Desert Speaks today. It was a segment on petrified wood and meteorites. Boy so many different kinds and amazing colors.
I have petrified wood.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2009
1:38 AM

Post #7360382

Hey! we all need a roadtrip together to go rock
hounding and everything else that appeals to us on the way.
Don't you think that would be great?? I wish it were that easy to do...
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

December 12, 2009
2:11 AM

Post #7360462

Lynn..I like your thinking:-)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 12, 2009
2:54 AM

Post #7360570

Hitch up the team, and let's roll!
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2009
3:49 AM

Post #7360697

Where do we all meet? I'm ready. Well, maybe we better wait for better weather.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2009
1:19 PM

Post #7361255

You may have a good idea, Lynn. We have some rain and sleet chances coming in here today.
But doesn't it sound wonderful to go looking for new rocks?
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2009
3:03 PM

Post #7361439

It sure does RRM. I dreamed about it last night. : )
We are headed to DC to spend Christmas with one of our sons and his family. Mmmm, wonder how many rocks I can get on the plane coming home?

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2009
3:34 PM

Post #7361495

Remember,gotta get 10.
Maybe more with our growing family of Rock people.
Isn't it wonderful, We are not the only ones a little "Different"
Think Of how dull the world would be if we weren't. ☺☺
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 12, 2009
5:50 PM

Post #7361872

I would love to have some rocks from Jerusalem! I have lots of petrified wood. It's plentiful in this state, being the state gemstone, and I have a hard time leaving it when I find it. When we were up in British Columbia last summer, there was one beach where I could have literally filled my kayak with petrified wood without skipping a beat. It comes in all kinds of colors.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2009
5:53 PM

Post #7361879

Pictures, we love pictures of rocks, please...
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2009
5:57 PM

Post #7361886

Yes pixie, pictures please. The suspence is killing us. We can't get glassy eyed without a picture to look at. : )
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 12, 2009
6:01 PM

Post #7361925

LOL! I will do my best to photograph my petrified wood today! If I can get the camera to work in this cold, that is. Meanwhile, here is a photo of one of the beaches where I spent literally the entire day all by myself looking at and collecting rocks. It was heaven, I can tell you. Plus,, I had it all to myself!

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 12, 2009
6:05 PM

Post #7361935

Here is one that 'got away'. You can see that many of the large formations on this beach are caused by glacial dump coming down from the Cascade Mountains and this solidifying. There are all kinds of rocks and pebbles encased in this mass. As it becomes exposed to the action of waves and tides, more of the rocks become released. For this reason the beaches in this area of the Straight of Georgia are composed of literally thousands of stones of all kinds. It is a rock collectors dream, as though nature has washed them to expose their colors, and then deposited them where you can browse at your leisure.
I wanted this yellow one in the worst way (I think it is yellow jasper) but I could not get it out of the conglomerate.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 12, 2009
6:10 PM

Post #7361960

Here is a photo from another island up there. As I kayaked around the island I could see that this part of the shore was defined by exposed rock that had been pushed up into a vertical position by volcanic activity, most likely. Paddling over to this area and exploring the rock revealed a nice vein of white quartz with pyrite (fool's gold) crystals. I collected some rocks from this beach, but I could not get any of the pyrite because the quartz was too hard for the tools I had and I didn't want to make a mess. I have no problem taking rocks from a beach, but I don't want to mar the scenery for others. I have some interesting, flat rocks from this beach that I haven't been able to identify. I'll do some photos.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2009
6:10 PM

Post #7361961

And Barnacles, did you have a
little pick with you . It is pretty. Beautiful pictures.
We need to start carrying little pick axes with us.
Can't wait til it gets warmer.
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2009
6:16 PM

Post #7361986

I'm asking Santa for a small pik ax for Christmas.
Pixie, those beaches are almost magical, especially the second one. What are the beautiful little dark things in the yellow rock. That is a wonderful rock.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2009
6:31 PM

Post #7362026

They look like a tropical Paradise, don't they.
Me too. Got to get me a little rake too. to sweep the leaves out of the way. Don't want any little snakes waiting for me under those leaves.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 12, 2009
8:01 PM

Post #7362284

Count me in on the rock swap. I love rocks and stones and driftwood and would love to share with others. Even pieces of granite from a kitchen renovation place are useful in the garden for labels.

Thumbnail by pirl

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 12, 2009
8:06 PM

Post #7362304

Pirl! Nice to have you here. That's a lovely beach photo with plenty of beautiful beach rocks.

Here are a few photos of some of the rocks close up. First, some petrified wood. This is one of my favorite pieces. It goes without saying that the photo doesn't do it justice. You can't see how it sparkles in the sunlight. This is from Sydney Spit, BC. It's probably 12 inches long and heavy as heck.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 12, 2009
8:06 PM

Post #7362312

Another piece with different colors.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 12, 2009
8:07 PM

Post #7362313

A smaller piece, still different coloration.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 12, 2009
8:10 PM

Post #7362319

Wish I could make a collage of photos like Pirl did with my program. It would save a lot of time posting. This is a rock from the beach I posted above with the vein of quartz and pyrite. This rock is translucent and has a greenish cast. It has formed in layers, as you can see, but is very hard, not the least bit like shale.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2009
8:12 PM

Post #7362322

Hi pirl. Welcome aboard. : )
Great pictures and ideas for rocks.
Pixie, great pieces of petrified wood. I can't wait for next year so we can start trading. Everyone has such wonderful rocks. And all the ideas on how to use them are amazing. I can't wait for next Spring to get outside and start putting some of those ideas to work.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 12, 2009

Post #7362323

This is another kind of rock found on the same beach. I've never seen one like this before. The copper color sparkles like metal. I picked some up that was under water because I could see the copper glinting in the sun. It's very interesting and I have no idea what it is. I've only found these rocks on that particular beach.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 12, 2009

Post #7362329

Great photos, Pixydish! It's utterly relaxing to look at rocks, petrified wood, driftwood, etc. and wonder about how it got to the point where we found it/them.

Walking the beach here in winter is a favorite Sunday outing for us.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 12, 2009
8:16 PM

Post #7362339

valleylynn, I don't know what the dark markings are in that yellow rock. Likely some kind of mineral deposit. They were part of the stone. I still wish I had been able to get that one. I actually do travel with a rock hammer that has a pick on one end. My father bought it for me in Maine when I was 16 years old. Unfortunately, it would not do the trick and this is not an area where you can destroy the surrounding substrate in order to collect. It's part of their park system, so that would be frowned upon directly!

Yes some of those beaches do look tropical. They can feel tropical until you dip a toe into the water. Then you are reminded of where you are!

Thumbnail by Pixydish

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2009
8:17 PM

Post #7362341

hi pirl

great stones pixydish!!

need to get to a beach!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2009

Post #7362485

If It's warmer, I 'm for it. Got rain and it's dreary day. but
is always nice to look at the pictures and welcome new members to the rock
meetings.
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

December 12, 2009
9:44 PM

Post #7362583

Hi Pirl! Welcome!

Pixy, I just love that spot in your last pic. I want to go there!

We should plan our outing to go where Pixie lives!
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2009
10:10 PM

Post #7362640

It is beautiful where pixie lives. We raised our children in the area around Hood Canal. Spent a lot of time on the beaches and water on day trips. Lot of years ago. : )
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 12, 2009
11:21 PM

Post #7362781

Doesn't that water look like it would be warm and inviting? Personally, I could not believe the clarity of the water there, or the color. It was amazing. For the plant nuts among us (!) here is a closer look at what is growing on the rocks: Reindeer moss and a native sedum, which I believe is S. spathulifolium. The colors are outstanding.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 12, 2009
11:22 PM

Post #7362786

Here is another shot. Love that big basalt rock!

Thumbnail by Pixydish

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

December 12, 2009
11:49 PM

Post #7362854

OMG! The rocks are gorgeous! Here is south Mississippi, there are no rocks. Just the little river pebbles in the rivers further north of us, sometimes I can find a small piece of petrified wood if I look real hard!
I always get a rock from somewhere when I travel. Since I go by car, sometimes I can put some nice size pieces in the trunk. A few years ago, I went to visit a friend in Missouri and loaded the back of my small pick-up full of rocks from my friend's farm! My little truck had some trouble in those hills on the way home! LOL
I'll have to take some pics of the Jerusalem rocks and post them.
Thanks for inviting me in! love, julie
P.S. At least I've never tried to steal the marble from the sides of the railroad tracks; I knew someone who did get arrested for that a few years ago!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2009
11:53 PM

Post #7362870

Yes, I'd like to get some of those Through the Tenn. mtns. They are neat. When it rains and they have the waterfalls, it is beautiful..
They do have some great rocks in Missouri tto. Go down there on the River and you will find some good ones. I'm originally from Mo.
Got some rocks at my Cousin's house when I visited this last summer too. She had a yard full .I have rocks here too. Love it!!!
Pixydish, beautiful pic.
LindaTX8
NE Medina Co., TX
(Zone 8a)

December 12, 2009
11:54 PM

Post #7362873

valleylynn, that first pic of the rock you posted looks like the "holey rocks" we have here in Texas. I have some in my yard, as well as many other interesting rocks. Here's a pic of one part of my yard. BTW, I got a couple of my rocks from a guy that used to go to plant swaps, all he usually had to trade was those holey rocks.
I don't think I could part with my rocks. Most come with memories and they are like old friends after all these years. Quiet friends. And they also do well with pieces of driftwood.

This message was edited Dec 12, 2009 6:00 PM

Thumbnail by LindaTX8

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2009
12:00 AM

Post #7362894

Quiet, old friends, with many stories to not tell.
Beautiful.
RRM
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2009
12:29 AM

Post #7362962

Nice rocks Pixs. That one posted at 12:16looks like a huge dragon head. I have some of that sedum. Got it from my neighbor. It's very attractive with the lichen. I have lots of that around here.
jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 13, 2009
12:55 AM

Post #7363030

Some Missouri rock - from south of St L. It is barite and quartz.

Thumbnail by jmorth

jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 13, 2009
12:57 AM

Post #7363039

Some more, I call this type brain rock because of the convolutions.

Thumbnail by jmorth

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 13, 2009
5:31 AM

Post #7363693

Missouri has awesome rocks. I once picked up a large rock in a parking lot somewhere in southern Missouri. It looks like it came from a cave. One of the best rocks I have. When I was a kid we lived in Missouri for a couple of years. I really added to my rock collection while we were there. Those are beautiful, jmorth. Did you find them?

Linda, those are very cool rocks. They remind me of some I have found down on the coast in California. They are basically mud, but hardened, and they have holes in them. mine are a lot smaller than those, though. Yours are cool!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 13, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #7364700

Taken on the rocky coast of Maine this past October. While it looks like wood or rock, it's actually dried mud, just as Pixydish mentioned. They had the whole story of how it happened and it surprised both of us.

Thumbnail by pirl

jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 13, 2009
6:01 PM

Post #7364806

Pixy,
yes, the 1st pic came from dumps of old barite mines, the 2nd pic from the Current River area.
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

December 13, 2009
6:30 PM

Post #7364885

Wow! Like that mud.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2009
7:04 PM

Post #7364986

Like Clay down here in some areas.
Nice , Sure doesn't look like mud.
kaolin is in South Georgia, they mine it.
Wonder if it's like that mud?? I loved those rocks
up there that have the holes in them. Very interesting.
RRM
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 13, 2009
7:37 PM

Post #7365070

That looks like volcanic mud to me. Is it? I want the story of how that happened. Inquiring minds want to know...

jmorth, I would love to find rocks like those. The coolest rock I've ever actually found was a geode. I found it in Austin, TX when I was 12 years old. The were building a road and as I walked home from school I was scanning the roadside plowings for cool stones. It was perfectly round. I grabbed it, took it home and somehow managed to crack it in half rather than in a million pieces. I still have the two perfectly fitting halves. There were quartz crystals inside. I'd take a photo but they are in my office.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 13, 2009
7:47 PM

Post #7365106

Here's the story, Melissa: http://www.maine.gov/doc/nrimc/mgs/explore/bedrock/sites/jun02.htm
jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 13, 2009
7:53 PM

Post #7365130

Lots of geodes around here. I'm like 60 miles from areas where the famous Hamilton-Warsaw formation crops out. There's been something like 20 or 30 minerals identified in these geodes though most are quartz and calcite.

Thumbnail by jmorth

jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 13, 2009
7:54 PM

Post #7365139

inside

Thumbnail by jmorth

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 13, 2009
8:00 PM

Post #7365153

Very interesting, Jack. Could almost resemble a twice baked potato with bacon!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2009
8:28 PM

Post #7365233

That is beautiful. Do they sound hollow? I know that's a silly question but
i don't know how else to phase it? but it is so very pretty.
RRM
jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 13, 2009
8:33 PM

Post #7365251

Sometimes they'll rattle. Often you can prognosticate by the weight to size ratio.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2009
8:40 PM

Post #7365269

I wouldn't know what I found unless it opened for me. I envy you all
that really know how to look for beautiful rocks. Sounds like you have the
knowlege and the experience.
Thanks
RRM
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2009
10:54 PM

Post #7365639

Linda, like you I love the rocks with holes, some of them I plant succulents in.
Pixy, I have some of that sedum in my yard, I love it, it will grow on nothing but rock for me. This is growing on a rock during it's green time. When it gets cold or stressed it gets the reddish color. Such a great plant.
That mud sure does a great job of mimicking petrified wood. It's facinating.
The geods are a treasure within a treasure. : )

Thumbnail by valleylynn

jadajoy

(Zone 11)

December 13, 2009
10:55 PM

Post #7365647

Thats beautiful lynn. Must get some for my new rocks:-)

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2009
11:03 PM

Post #7365672

Got my bog ready for winter
This is one of the rocks that has the moss on it.

valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2009
11:08 PM

Post #7365683

RRM, I love that moss rock, what a treasure. And a bog. Would love to have a bog, don't know why I don't have one living here in the NW? Summers are pretty dry here though in the Willamette Valley.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2009
11:11 PM

Post #7365694

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1056440/

go here Lynn and I'll show you how to make one and even send you a rock.
How about that?
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2009
11:58 PM

Post #7365815

RRM, that was so great. I am excited about doing one this coming Spring. I would love one of your moss rocks.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 14, 2009
12:00 AM

Post #7365824

You got it, but remind me o.k.?
I forget. But I want to get them before the snakes start
crawling back there in the woods. I'll get them tho.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 14, 2009
8:09 AM

Post #7366869

those geodes are beautiful. I would love to find more one day.
Valleylynn, I have two little bogs. They do very well here, even though the summers are dry. You just keep distilled water on hand to water them.
jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 14, 2009
8:34 AM

Post #7366874

valleylynn,
This pet rock pic kinda goes with the pic you used at the top of this thread.

Thumbnail by jmorth

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 14, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #7367346

jadajoy, we need a new link. This one is getting sorta long.
That is a beautiful rock. You can hit me later but got to ask it.
Did you put it in a rock Tumbler? it is so pretty and smooth.
love it.

Durn, I forgot to say, Please. ☺

This message was edited Dec 14, 2009 10:34 AM
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 14, 2009
3:14 PM

Post #7367501

Jmorth, what a cute pet. I love his/her expression. That definitely is a pet rock. : ) What breed (agate)? : )
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 14, 2009
3:16 PM

Post #7367510

Or is it red jasper? Really interesting.
jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 14, 2009
7:39 PM

Post #7368296

It's a tumbled Lake Superior Agate collected from railroad rip rap (stone bed rails laid on) while walking the dog. I imagine the stone was quarried from a Mississippi River gravel quarry. On a typical walk I'd usually find 5 or 6 Lake Superiors as well as a pocketful (or two) of other neat river rock).

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 14, 2009
8:24 PM

Post #7368402

All right, That is wonderful.
It sure did "dress up pretty"
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

December 15, 2009
12:58 AM

Post #7369157

Here ya go. Anything for you ridesredmule :-)

New Thread:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1062953/

Oh Lynne, could you do another post of those interested on the new thread? Please...:-)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America