BACHELOR BUTTONS for 2010 - and so it starts...

(Zone 5a)

I love these cute little guys, but they dont do well for me.

So hows yours doing?

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

more spidermite bait and usually loaded w/ powdery mildew.

(Zone 5a)

I toss them out in the prairie and they have yet to grow.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

We tossed some out in a wildflower garden the club TRIED to start at the end of our main road in. Even though we clearly marked area w/ stakes bright surviors string and signs, people ran over it and park on top of everything.

(Zone 5a)

People are so stupid and rude these days, yano, just makes you sick.

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Tried Bachelor Buttons last winter and it was a failure. Had a couple of blooms on each plant and then they committed suicide on me. Not likely to retry them again.

(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

Bachlor's Buttons are so well established in my gardens, that it is impossible to walk 5 feet in any direction without passing at least one!!
The blue color seems dominant, so with every year that goes by, less and less purples, pinks, and whites appear.
They seem to overwinter just fine, but when they start blooming in May, they are not used to heat so when June and July come, they leave.

The first time I grew them(2007) all I did was scatter a 10 cent packet on a 5'X4' area, and the color was marvelous in less than 2 months.

(Zone 5a)

I kinda like the perennial version...whats it called um centurea montana an big heady thing! But again, its not gonna grow wel her for too long

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

They were a staple in my little kid gardens I did as a child:) My big three that always did well for me: Bachelor Buttons, Cosmos and Marigolds. Cosmos made my dad nuts because they reseeded all over his lawn:lol: May have to give them a try this year:)

Here is what they look like in early winter. I wish I could get a pic of how big they get in late winter. Bigger than in Spring, lol.

Thumbnail by DMgardener
(Zone 6a)

I grew some last year, but I gave them to a friend. I had no room for them....as usual I started too many seeds. I want to try them again this year though. Does anyone know how they do in clay soil?

(Zone 5a)

Growing up a neighb had them in his back yard and they were every where. Always swanted to steal away with them as a kid!
My Dad and I would go picking every Sunday and the bachies were alwasy left behing.. but I remember Queen Anns Lace, chicory, asperagus, appleblossoms, daisyes and just a bunch of wild ones we would grab! Perhaps that is why I have such a flower fetish today... great memories with Dad and the wild things!

Ive tried growing them in the prairie here but apparentlyu they are not found of golden sand.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

This is actually a gompherna but common name's "Airy Bachelor Buttons....and of course from my favorite drool...um...website,Annie's Annuals.
http://www.anniesannuals.com/plants/plant_display.asp?prodid=2426

(Zone 5a)

gimme! LOL!

(Zone 6a)

Theres also annual buttons that look like the perennial ones......I think they're called 'sweet sultan'. Theres also ones that are white and yellow too.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

can't locate a seed source other than in France....Oh-La-La!

red, that is most unusual.. Tiny flowers... Here's something like it http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-7555-mor.aspx

~Daniel

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Yeah,that does look like them

Wonderful!

~Daniel

Thumbnail by DMgardener
(Zone 5a)

Verrry nice!

(Zone 6a)

Looks like grape juice! I like it!

(Zone 5a)

I will take some!

That one bloomed from November untill about 3 weeks ago. It is the most photogenic Bachy I have found yet;)

~Daniel

P.S. It does look like grape juice, Steven. Thanks for the color!!! I have such a hard time naming colors, that I make new ones up! LOL!

P.P.S Blossom, it's in my Bachy mix which will be available again in July.

(Zone 5a)

Pair that wino up with Giant Violet Queen zin! LOL!

Ive tried growing bachies.. Think Im gonna have to pot them.. They will not naturalize here.

Can't imagine why they would not naturlize anywhere... Maybe you could sow in Fall? They seem to grow HUGE and then bloom their hearts out for about 3 months;) Or the soil is too rich? Or there's bad Centaurea Karma there? LOL!

Cannot wait for the black in this mix to show up>

Thumbnail by DMgardener
(Zone 5a)

Danny, my prairie is gold sand. It plays only host to a very few plants and unless I ammend the soil they will not naturalize and ammendign the soil therefore would nto be naturalization there. But I coul dtry another better location.

I can grow gallarida, laitris, cactus! Those do ok! Oh, there are others, but not all are very pretty and you can only appreciate them for what the naturalized scene brings!

(Zone 6a)

Daniel, when you said your wino bloomed to about 3 weeks ago was it inside? Or was it blooming out in the cold?

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Daniel, I'll mark my calender for next July to apply for your Bachy mix. That one is beautiful and so purple, yes grape colored.

SW, They were outside. Braved two snow showers and bitter cold! And were still blooming until 3 weeks ago! Except in the hottest summers, they bloom almost forever!...lol

Marti, Good Idea!! I will be sure to set aside a pack for you!

BB, Cactus in Zone5A? Quite a few people around here grow Prickely pears... But I never saw them flower, or flourish... Much too cold. What kinds do you do?

~Daniel

P.S. Beautiful Picotee Cosmos>

Thumbnail by DMgardener
Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks Daniel. I appreciate that. I just got a catalog from Baker Creek and you should see some of the colors of Bachys they have and the price is not bad and only a $3.00 shipping fee no matter how much you order. They have a couple of other things I want so am preparing an order form. If anyone is looking for giant castor bean seeds they have them also. 2 different kinds that grow 15 feet and up.

(Zone 6a)

Thanks Daniel. :) I'll be growing some this summer then! I could use some December blooms.

(Zone 5a)

Danny I have a native cactus, prickly pear - opunta... check it out on my list, I should have pix of it there.. if I do not remind me and I willupdate them as soon as I can

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Daniel, sign me up, too:) I'll have to look for them on the marketplace. July..
I have great luck wintersowing bb's. Although they don't like to be transplanted, I'll plant them out in small hunks. My neighbor across the street comments on them in the front gardens every year. Love mixing them with other things.
Bev

(Zone 5a)

Here is my garden box

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
(Zone 5a)

I have them growing natural on the prairie as well. These cactus are natives.

(Zone 6a)

I used to have a prickly pear, it never flowered like those ones though! I moved the plant to a different spot just before we moved so its probably doing really well now with no one the admire it!

(Zone 5a)

Those cactus love it there. They bloom their fool heads off and I have to prune them every year now becakse they have extended their invitation over the edge! Nothing worse than getting stickers in your bare toes whe you drive by on the mower!

YE- OUCH!

But they really are gorgeous! I have wanted the pink (pank) variety, but have not found it.

tggfisk, expect a package this July! I have your addy. Thanks so much!

BB, that's great! It looks better than a desert! I just love exotics! But could never grow here... lol.

~Daniel

(Zone 5a)

Those cactus are winter hardy Dan and right now are under snow. They get ugly this time of year then plump up as the spring comes and summer cooks them!

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks, Daniel...July cannot get here soon enough, lol! By then, we'll be complaining about the heat and humidity:)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images