Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: A Grapevine Christmas Tree: Your tomato cage idea

Communities > Forums > Article: A Grapevine Christmas Tree
bookmark
Forum: Article: A Grapevine Christmas TreeReplies: 2, Views: 31
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
foodiesleuth
Honomu, HI
(Zone 11)

December 4, 2009
6:00 AM

Post #7333870

Funny, I also use a tomato cage for a tabletop Christmas tree, but I use live greenery to make the tree. Place the tomato cage upside down as you did on a large catering disposable tray. Place several blocks of wet oasis - one on top of each other and run through with thick wire (coat hanger wire will do) attaching the top of the wire to the top of the tomato cage so they stay in place. Start filling in with assorted green branches - in this one I used mock orange, silver dollar eucalyptus, the green stem and leaves of a common wild terrestial orchid and then decorated with red anthuriums. When I lived on the mainland, I decorated these trees with red carnations or red roses and baby's breath inserted in florist tubes.

Thumbnail by foodiesleuth
Click the image for an enlarged view.

can2grow
Valparaiso, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2009
12:54 PM

Post #7334138

Looks beautiful. The tomato cage didn't know its whole destiny, did it?

Marie
www.mariesgarden.com
foodiesleuth
Honomu, HI
(Zone 11)

December 5, 2009
1:06 AM

Post #7336187

No...it really didn't! ;-)

I can't wait to make one like yours with the grape vines...but I will have to get creative and maybe use bayan 'air' roots, as I don't have grape vines available..

Sonia
http://www.soniatasteshawaii.com

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: A Grapevine Christmas Tree Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Oh, Wow! Never Realized! DreamOfSpring 2 Dec 16, 2013 2:37 PM
teacher's lounge Liquidambar2 0 Dec 3, 2009 6:13 AM
Adaptable CajuninKy 1 Dec 4, 2009 6:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America