-
AuthorContent
mcbc11787
North Reading, MA
(Zone 6b)

December 4, 2009
4:45 PM

Post #7334794

May I ask a palm question, then? I purchased one recently and planted it in a nice, large pot. I have it in my living room. It is big and beautiful. I didn't pay a lot for it (paid far more for the pot!) and fell in love as soon as I set my eyes on it. Only problem is I'm noticing that many of the branches are browning. I've trimmed those down and started watering it more frequently and I think (hope?) that this is helping.

So, my question(s)... do palms require a lot of water? (I usually only water my houseplants once a week but started watering this one twice.) Is there something "special" I should be doing for it? It continues to sprout new leaves and many of them remain very healthy looking but I will be heart broken if it doesn't survive, even though its only been with us a few short months!

(I don't have photos but could take some if that would be helpful) Any help/suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Thanks...
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 4, 2009
5:47 PM

Post #7334972

You might be asking the wrong person, since I know very little about tropical plants being here in the middle of the heartland. When I had my Perry Palm I simply treated it as a houseplant and when it's fronds started browning, I cut them off. It lived for many years in spite of me. With the new one I have, I trimmed it's brown branches as well when I got it, and the difference now is that I have been misting it about every other day.

It made sense that perhaps it missed the coastal humidity that it did not get in my dry winter house. I have had it about 5 or 6 weeks now, and I see no signs of browning, though I do see new growth. I need to spend some time researching its care, but with the holiday season upon us, I haven't done that yet.

I'll share with you what I learn, though, if I find anything helpful.
And maybe somebody might see this thread and help us both.

Thank you...
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 4, 2009
6:28 PM

Post #7335083

Epsom salts occasionally. I just read where they like epsom salts. And the browning must be normal, since it said to not cut the root, but to only cut off the dead or spent fronds.

I'll let you know as i find more.
mcbc11787
North Reading, MA
(Zone 6b)

December 4, 2009
6:40 PM

Post #7335121

Epsom salt, eh? That doesn't even sound nice! LOL!

I do like your point about the coastal humidity and the warmth in our house could be the problem, too. I'll keep watering twice weekly and see if it stays okay. Unfortunately, I can't "spritz" it since its on a hardwood floor and far to heavy to move for that!

I'll keep checking back, too, to see if anyone else chimes in!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Perry Como Palm Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Palm got big! NEILMUIR1 80 Nov 25, 2009 2:03 AM
Serendipity LouC 5 Nov 18, 2009 1:08 AM
Your Palm WormsLovSharon 1 Nov 17, 2009 6:34 PM
Palm phicks 1 Nov 17, 2009 11:52 PM
the perry como palm daphnep 1 Nov 18, 2009 2:51 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America