Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: English Daisies: I love English daisies

Communities > Forums > Article: English Daisies
bookmark
Forum: Article: English DaisiesReplies: 7, Views: 62
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

December 5, 2009
6:06 AM

Post #7337113

Thank you for the article, kniphofia! The only problem I've had with English daisies has been finding red ones. There are some good ones in PF, but just try to find them in a nursery here or on the internet at some affordable price - extremely difficult. I'm crazy about Pomponette and Polar.

Wouldn't it be great to have a lawnful like the photo? Thanks again. :-) Great pics
kniphofia
Morpeth
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2009
6:34 AM

Post #7337147

Thanks for the kind comments, I'm so glad you enjoyed the article.

Daisies are one of my absolute favourite annuals, I love the Strawberries & Cream ones. I do hope you can track down some of the red ones, they really are lovely.

Best wishes
Sue

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 5, 2009
3:24 PM

Post #7337777

Are they biennial or what? I have trouble keeping them alive, but I don't pay them much attention, and if they DO take 2 years to come back, I'm probably not waiting long enough. I always like them when they're blooming! :)
kniphofia
Morpeth
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2009
5:53 PM

Post #7338299

As they're easy enough to buy in flats of six packs, I just buy them every year. If I get any seedlings that's fine.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 5, 2009
7:31 PM

Post #7338627

Thanks for the great article on one of my favs. They are such strong performers here starting in March and blooming all summer. I grow mine from seed and they self sow for a few years before they peter out. McGlory I haven't found seed for red ones. Some of the mixes say 'red' but they are dark pink.

gwen21

gwen21
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2009
5:09 AM

Post #7340589

I think English daisies are so pretty but I have yet to have any success with them. My yard looks sorta like that...except the white blooms are clover : ) Thanks for the great article, Sue!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2009
1:22 PM

Post #7341051

I hear you w/ the clover.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

December 7, 2009
7:00 PM

Post #7345444

I planted some a few years ago, not the bellis version, and they are everywhere! In my rockwalks, grass, other beds. I have subsequently tried to dead head to prevent their self seeding where ever the wind will carry them, not to mention the birds. Haven't decided if I like their habits or not, but they do blossom every year.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: English Daisies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Parks and seedlings! NEILMUIR1 4 Dec 14, 2009 10:27 AM
Thanks for linking the photos ... Pagancat 1 Dec 5, 2009 5:51 PM
Why Garden? Poetinwood 1 Dec 7, 2009 5:36 PM
Gardening Budo99 0 Dec 7, 2009 5:19 PM
Identify the first photo? pastapicker 1 Dec 8, 2009 5:06 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America