Photo by Melody

Clean and Clutter-free: Clean the outside of stained terra cotta pots?

Communities > Forums > Clean and Clutter-free
bookmark
Forum: Clean and Clutter-freeReplies: 2, Views: 130
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
betsy_VA
Vienna, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2009
1:47 PM

Post #7337504

I have two large unsealed and unpainted terra cotta planters that have spent some time outside and now appear to be stained in some way. The stains look like wet dirt (see photo). I have tried scrubbing the outside (as gently as I dare); the stains fade when the pot surface is wet, but return once it's dry again.

What is this? Is water seeping from the inside of the pot? I do have large plants in there, but I have a wetness probe and the pots aren't wet on the inside -- water can also drain out the bottom, so it's not pooling in there as far as I know. Is it mold or something? I've used Formula 409 and a scrub sponge on it (again, trying to be gentle). I'm worried that the terra cotta is porous and could somehow absorb chemicals so I'm trying to be cautious, but I'd love to get the stains off!

Any ideas on how to remove these stains?

Thumbnail by betsy_VA
Click the image for an enlarged view.

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 6, 2009
12:42 AM

Post #7339791

Hey Betsy, I've noticed some similar stains on some of my pots. Not really sure where they came from but greasy was what came to mind. I don't clean my terracotta pots often mostly I don't mind the stains. I just give them a brushing and a dip in bleach to disinfect. I found this website http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/strategies/how-to-clean-terra-cotta-pots/ that might be helpful. They suggested starting with a baking soda and water paste.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2009
2:59 PM

Post #7358646

the "greasiness" could have something to do w/ uneven firing and cleaning will not help. I love your pots, you could still paint them terracotta. Two coats and it will seal all that stuff. Even better, if you paint with kilz, THEN apply two coats of TC color, you're set. But I hear what a big task it is to move them around. Probably best to get the light ones.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Clean and Clutter-free Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Anyone enjoy TLC's "Clean Sweep"? gardenwife 22 Jun 24, 2008 12:44 AM
Favorite bathroom cleaner? Terry 79 Nov 9, 2013 2:05 AM
Do you do this? Terry 11 Sep 22, 2009 5:16 AM
Dog Slobber levilyla 24 Nov 4, 2012 3:33 PM
Vacuums Yuska 99 Jan 5, 2011 9:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America