Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Winter Sowing: Show your wintersowing containers

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 60, Views: 902
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 5, 2009
5:39 PM

Post #7338240

I have gathered that most people use the gallon size milk or beverage containers for wintersowing. Please post pics of any other containers you are using. It might be easier for me to gather smaller containers and set them inside clear storage containers that have holes drilled in the top and bottom. Another question is can one use a 1 qt. or 1/2 gal. milk or juice cartons that have been cut down. What about the peat pots one buys to start seed indoors?
Cool whip containers? Clear containers from deli take outs? If you wintersow in any container other then the gal. size jugs..could we see your pics?
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2009
12:11 PM

Post #7340975

This will be my 5th year WSing and in my first year or 2 I probably tried every container you can think of. Milk jugs and 2 liters absolutely are my favorite, no question. Cups inside a large bins work pretty well, too. Lots of folks use cut off juice carton with success, cover with cut up drop cloths or similar. Never did that myself. Heavy rain and snow does collapse or tear plastic easily, been there, done that, so would advise heavy mil plastic if you go that route, not flimsy stuff like Saran wrap.

Deli containers- most are too shallow, don't drain well, dry out too fast
Peat pot, paper pots get moldy or rot in wet weather, dry way too fast in hot dry weather.
Smaller, lighter containers will take off in the wind if not contained in a larger heavy box or similar.
Critters (squirrels, raccoons, voles, whatever) will raid containers if lids aren't secure.

Wintersowing is way different from starting seeds indoors under lights. Seeds and containers are subject to the whims of Mother Nature (snow storms, wind storms, monsoon rains, blazing heat and drought, critters, dogs and cats who think a jug is a toy; not to mention clumsy gardeners, curious kids) and the ideal container will withstand these things.

Karen
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 6, 2009
4:03 PM

Post #7341405

I would have never thought of using plastic drop cloths, cut up to size. Maybe secure it with duct tape to container and if necessary a thick rubber band. One could use one of those hand held hole punchers before placing the plastic around the can. Somebody else suggested they use cereal box or cracker box wrappers as it is pretty sturdy. Can peat pots be used for planting the seed if the pots are contained in an enclosed container where holes are drilled in the container lid and bottom for moisture and rain or snow?
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 7, 2009
12:56 AM

Post #7342970

I had peat pots in a larger container. They gold moldy and nasty in wet weather and dried way too fast in warm dry weather. I'll never use them again. I had terrible results with them. Ditto paper pots. Maybe your weather is better and they'd do better, but I had enough of them in one try.

I really only did a few of them and was very glad of that. Like I said, my first year I wanted to try 'em all. But I read and read forums and Trudi's site, and all the WSing veterans recommended jugs so highly, I figured the experts would know best. In the end I agreed, nothing compares to a milk jug. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Karen

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 8, 2009
4:01 AM

Post #7347425

Pippi -- if you have not browsed it yet.. here is the "Containers" thread out of the "Sticky"
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/809636/

I agree with Karen on the milk jugs... nothing compares.

This message was edited Dec 7, 2009 10:05 PM

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 8, 2009
4:05 AM

Post #7347431

here are some Cosmos in Peat Pot, but those are also in soil to keep them more moist... I thought i used them another time where they were not in the soil... then they dried out faster... Yannno - what?? those were those CocoHusk pots... did NOT like those at all.

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 8, 2009
4:10 AM

Post #7347446

I also love Deli containers... though it helps to have them in boxes of some sort.

Thumbnail by tcs1366

Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

December 15, 2009
12:37 PM

Post #7370345

Here are some of my WS containers from last year:

Thumbnail by Hemophobic

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2009
12:43 PM

Post #7370351

Now I may seem dense here, but just to be sure...

Are you sowing seeds in these containers , and then placing them outside to stay till spring when rowth will necessatate trransplanting into the garden ?? Sort of each one in it's own tiny greenhouse?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2009
2:10 PM

Post #7370627

Yes Sheri... that is correct. Mine normally go out into a pile of snow, or onto the patio and then get covered by snow... but yes, just like their own little green house.

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 15, 2009
6:05 PM

Post #7371330

No pics, but if it will hold soil, I will sow seeds in it..lol

Larkie
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

December 15, 2009
9:40 PM

Post #7371979

Sheri: You are right about them staying outside. Don't dismay; it does work!
BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2009
3:07 AM

Post #7372889

and the recycle bin had potential greenhouses in it! Shucks...oh well, theres always next week.

Seems like I remember Scarlett O'hara holding up a fist full of dirt and saying something about land counting!!!

^_^
rockgardner
Billerica, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2009
5:54 AM

Post #7373267

This is an experiment of mine I started this past november. It isn't WS in the same sense as talked about on DG and elsewhere but it's close enough that I thought I would share it here. What I've done in the first pic is bury a number of small pots. They're actually old, lined cardboard food containers I'd been collecting, about 3" wide x 3" deep, and have sown my seeds into them. In the second picture, I've coverd them with a heavy duty coldframe type screened box to protect the pots and eventually the seedlings. Not shown, is a glass cover which hinges on one end which I will use in late winter/early spring as seeds begin to germinate. I'll be able to open and close the glass lid as necessary depending on the climate. The pots are easily removable and as the plants become too tall for the screened box they will be planted and/or protected individually. Still have some things to work out I'm sure, as I said it's an experiment. But taking it to this point has been so simple and hasn't cost me anything as all materials including potting soil was already at hand.

Thumbnail by rockgardner

hamptonmeadow
Lakeville, MN

December 21, 2009
2:14 AM

Post #7386523

I don't have access to milk jugs. Or 2 liter jugs.

Could I buy some of those sterlite containers with lids and use those? I could plant lots of stuff in those as they are quite large.

They are pretty cheap when on sale. Three or four bucks.

Please let me know of alternatives that really work.
Thanks very much.
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

December 21, 2009
2:35 AM

Post #7386573

Hampton: The large plastic tubs that spring lettuce mix comes in (Sam's Club) makes a good container and it's nice and deep. So do the plastic fruit/veggie containers and they already have holes for drainage. I've kept some of those for WSing this year. Someone has used the large plastic jugs that pretzels come in, also from Sam's Club or Costco, and others are using plastic bags, but I haven't tried that method yet. Please read through previous WS posts and you'll get plenty of ideas.
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 21, 2009
2:59 AM

Post #7386630

I don't start ws until mid March. Here's a pic from last year

Thumbnail by joannabanana

hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 21, 2009
4:13 AM

Post #7386820

Hamptonmeadow, I love Lakeville - used to live in Apple Valley! Hit your local Starbuck's or Caribou Coffee and ask them to save their milk jugs for you - I am sure they won't care if you raid their recyclables. Our Starbuck's (just one) has gotten me close to 100 jugs in less than a few days. If you get them the same day, they rinse out quickly and have no odor at all. Sam's has great boxes to put them in to hold them so they don't blow. Hope that helps.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 21, 2009
1:07 PM

Post #7387381

I use paper egg cartons for things like poppies,larkspurs and nigellia...there in there you just can't pick them out in the line-up. Meant to get a close up of them...forgot...cold out there.

Thumbnail by bigred

hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 21, 2009
1:49 PM

Post #7387477

Oh my gosh, Bigred, is that your PERSONAL greenhouse? I am envious! You'd never see me if I had one like that! Have to go work on 100 milk jugs in the kitchen this morning - they are dry and ready to be drilled, cut and boxed. This has been so much fun. My first time - I've read every thread I can - just pray it works! Merry Christmas this week! Cynthia

Thumbnail by hanseycollie

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 21, 2009
2:09 PM

Post #7387547

ya know that ice cream commercial..."Eat all we can and sell the rest"...("Plant all I can and sell the rest")so I can support my habit of needing more seeds and plants...LOL

Actually it's more like "All the children have shoes except the cobblers" 'cause it seems like I'm so busy growing and selling I don't have time to work in my own yard. Now that we're no longer doing a big market garden,I can put that time into getting some of these lovelies into my flowerbeds.
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 21, 2009
3:34 PM

Post #7387834

Amazing greenhouse - I am truly envious! You have a long growing season, too, don't you? Yea for you! I am ready to get my containers outside in the next month. Placed my last seed order yesterday - ready to go!!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2009
3:39 PM

Post #7387853

well...T O D A Y issssss, Dec 21st... winter solstice

I've got my accumulating bags of containers in the basement... though i've got myself into a huge 'fix the chipping' paint project goin on... so it will be in Jan by the time i get to sowing.
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 21, 2009
7:11 PM

Post #7388379

Me too - mid-January is my goal as I don't want to rush - I want to enjoy every single moment of it!
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

December 21, 2009
9:12 PM

Post #7388615

Cynthia: Great pic. Is that you and DH? Handsome couple. Winter sowing DOES work. I had my doubts, too, particularly when the temps would get down into the teens or snow would cover the jugs and I would think, `No way am I going to get anything out of this.' Have faith. You'll see. You'll be doing the happy dance come spring!
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

December 21, 2009
9:17 PM

Post #7388629

Here's a collage of my WS efforts:

See all the sprouts?

Thumbnail by Hemophobic

Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 22, 2009
12:09 AM

Post #7389022

In your photo, it looks as you have something spread over the top of your containers or is it just the way the light was? Looks like it might be vermitculite from the picture. Egg cartons are so shallow, I'm surprized things will grow for you in them. I've heard of people planting inside an eggshell but the eggshell was inside like a clear plastic container that once held cupcakes from the grocery store. I'm amazed at all the different versions of WS containers people come up with. I guess if we look in our refrigerator, we'd be able to find many more. Today, I pulled my DH's gin bottle out of the recycle bin, washed it out and put it back in the crate to be cut and used. It's as large as the 1/2 gal. jugs we have. Just a different shape neck to it. So if I didn't get it completely clean, the plants might be happy in there! LOL!
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 22, 2009
5:25 AM

Post #7389859

Hemophobic, yes, that is the REAL Santa and Mrs. Claus - the only problem is the costumes fit, LOL. That wasn't so funny. Prepared 144 milk jugs in the past week for 16 women coming to my BYOS party - (Bring Your Own Soil) - so tomorrow I start on my own milk jugs, yippeeeee! Can't wait, can't wait. I loved your collage too - I can't wait to see if mine will look near so great!!

I hope to do the happy dance for sure!!!! After all the money I spent last year on buying plants at $8-15 each, it'll be great to grow my own! Did I say, can't wait? Can't wait?!!!

Here are my boys in their Christmas outfits.

Thumbnail by hanseycollie

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 22, 2009
11:27 AM

Post #7390116

pippi,
I assume your asking me...yes,that's vermucilite. I never use potting mix to cover or sow my seeds with/on top of. I only use egg cartons for annuals that don't like root disturbance and can be planted out at a small stage.

The greenhouse was a Wal Mart parking lot greenhouse. It got blown over in a bad windstorm so they had to replace it. My DiL worked there so she called me to see if I wanted it. Heck yea I wanted it. It cost me all of $100 bucks and only two spans were bent and not useable so I only lost about 10 ft.Had all those shelves and sliding panels on the lower sides.It's not heated but still works prefectly for winter sowing.
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

December 22, 2009
12:57 PM

Post #7390230

Bigred: You really scored with that GH. I'd love to have one of my own. No hope of that any time soon.

Cynthia: Cost is the very reason I decided to try the WSing. I spend a fortune every year on established plants and just couldn't justify any more of that kind of waste. I can truthfully say that the only money I spent last year was on mulch, bulbs, a couple of new hydrangeas and miscellaneous gardening supplies, like plant markers, paint pens, etc. I got some wonderful new plants that are now established and participated in this year's piggy seed swap, so I have even more wonderful new seeds to WS! Yeehaa! Yeah, I'm doing the happy dance already.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 22, 2009
1:10 PM

Post #7390246

I actually have 2 GH that size. I don't use the one in the back yard any more for other than storage and pot washing station. It's home made and tearing it down would be too much trouble and would be a waste because it wouldn't come down easily w/o destorying the materials and we like to recycle building materials.
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

December 23, 2009
2:43 PM

Post #7392959

I've even saved the clear tops of CD stacks (large ones) to use in combo with plastic bags or plastic wrap for the covering. They're sturdy and deep!
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2009
6:37 PM

Post #7393507

Does anyone know anyting about a cold frame? Does it work under the same principle as the WS containers?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 23, 2009
8:27 PM

Post #7393743

I know there are some who use a cold frame. They're around somewhere...

you can always try doing a search ... use the term "cold frame" and search the WS forum... you should find some posts and you'll see who uses this option.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 24, 2009
10:49 AM

Post #7395268

I've made and used some jerry-rigged ones in the past with success. Best and easiest thing I've ever used was low poly tunnels I made from my tomato cages and plastic sheeting. Worked for containers or direct flowers and food crops.

Thumbnail by bigred

diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 25, 2009
2:48 PM

Post #7397580

I read something about coldframes. From the info I found, I know less now than I did before reading it LoL I'm kind of special like that. I'll stick with my WS
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 2, 2010
10:31 AM

Post #7418997

Anita..Tom over at gardenweb.com has a great hoophouse set up that he made himself. Also he made his own plant cloner. He post as Token on that site and he's very knowledgable, creative and willing to share information with other gardeners. Tom's blog is www.Seventhstreetcottage.com.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2010
2:13 PM

Post #7419302

http://seventhstreetcottage.blogspot.com/

I've been on this guys site before. very nice.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2010
1:44 PM

Post #7478854

What kind of Pens do you use. I use a sharpie and it fades. What is best pen or pencil that is not affected by the sun.
I sa several milkjugs that are beautifully labelled but do they fade??
I am using 2 litr bottles. But do have a couple of milk jugs.
Thanks

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2010
1:51 PM

Post #7478866

some say pencils do just fine.

I use paint pens... though i have found one is better than the other. I bought a "red" thinking it would stand out more... it faded.

I guess if you have already marked them, just keep the writing out of the sunlight.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2010
1:57 PM

Post #7478875

Guess I could flip the tags over. going to one of the office depot or staples and check out what they got. Never can tell , Walmart has Sharpies and I know they do fade.
Thanks

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2010
2:00 PM

Post #7478877

I get paint pens at Walmart.. in their craft department. other than that, i have to go to Michaels.
Debbie2007
Port Vincent, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2010
2:23 PM

Post #7478922

I bought my paint pen at walmart too. I love it, except I needed to have gotten the finer point instead of the one I got.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2010
2:42 PM

Post #7478970

Paint pens, huh?? They are not Sharpies?
going to town tomarrow will have to check it out.
Thanks you all.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2010
3:17 PM

Post #7479055

Debbie... i found ones with 2 tips... one wider and one 'fine'.

I agree the wide one is too wide, especially for writing on plant tags, but on containers it's not bad... well for me, all i pretty much write on the containers is a number.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 20, 2010
5:11 PM

Post #7479380

Paint pen for me too.

Karen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2010
5:21 PM

Post #7479405

Planting today, are you all. Sign is right for above ground crops.
Got eyeballs planted (new one for me) moonvine, and several other things.
Now the patient part. Waiting...sign.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2010
9:28 PM

Post #7480029

Here're my jugs. I used a black Sharpie. Figured they wouldn't be out there that long before transplanting.

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2010
10:23 PM

Post #7480186

They look good to me. Tops and bottoms.
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2010
10:53 PM

Post #7480265

I think I sprung for some paint pens offered in a co-op here but I've also purchased from craft stores and the craft dept at WalMart. I was swayed by some of the neat color options but the black was the only color w/ staying power. Maybe writing on the inside of the top half of the container would help slow the fading--less contact with the elements and all that.
Debbie2007
Port Vincent, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2010
5:22 AM

Post #7481145

I agree dmac. Black is the only one that does real good.

Gymgirl, I used sharpies year before last on some plant markers , but it eventually faded. But you make a good point, it should last til we rip open our wonderful jugs and bottles full of babies. LOL I can't wait to see them all. By the way, you have been real busy. You can come help me, when you finish. :)

Debbie

LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2010
3:57 AM

Post #7484422

Gymgirl, those are mighty pretty jugs. You put a lot of good info on them.

tcs, how do you set up the Google Spreadsheet? I want to copy yours.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2010
4:07 AM

Post #7484458

Lynn... i did it in excel, then uploaded it.

if you can see/view you... there is a choice to download it... feel free, and do a save as excel.

I keep getting a pop up window that tells me you can now upload it as an excel file, i'm guessing it will stay that way.. but i havent read the pop up window yet to see what it says.

obviously take what you need and delete the rest.. you will probably get all the pages in the "book".
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2010
4:14 AM

Post #7484469

I don't have Excel, just the free couple of uses left. If I download yours, can I make changes to my version? I had misworded earlier, I meant to make a spreadsheet like yours, not to use yours. So thank you so much for the offer!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2010
4:16 AM

Post #7484473

you can down load it in another format to use it as a reference... or even a pdf file.

when you say... can i make changes to me version... do you mean, once downloaded, can you edit it? yes.
open office is also a 'save as' option too.
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2010
4:19 AM

Post #7484476

Thanks, I think I will pop over there and try it.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2010
4:20 AM

Post #7484479

just shoot me a dmail if you have any questions or problems.
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2010
4:51 AM

Post #7484544

I tried to save it, it is on my desktop, but cannot open it. I had renamed it and made a change to line 1 the AButillon. I don;t want to change your file by accident.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2010
3:21 PM

Post #7485339

Lookie!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2010
3:21 PM

Post #7485340

One More!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2010
3:22 PM

Post #7485345

New Life!!! What a joy.
What fun to plant in the spring.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America