-
AuthorContent
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2009
9:16 PM

Post #7339059

We got a couple of inches of snow yesterday. It is the earliest we've ever had snow in Texas, now two years in a row! I hope this doesn't become a habit! haha!

Fortunately my son hung the plastic around the 10 X 13 patio and all of the tender tropicals were brought in there. We're still recooperating from the move!

I'll get pictures of the makeshift patio greenhouse and post them later!

Happy Holidays everyone!

This message was edited Dec 6, 2009 6:07 PM

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2009
9:17 PM

Post #7339069

Let it snow!

Thumbnail by Texasgal77

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2009
9:19 PM

Post #7339072

A Winter Wonderland!

Thumbnail by Texasgal77

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2009
9:22 PM

Post #7339077

Front yard

Thumbnail by Texasgal77

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2009
9:25 PM

Post #7339087

Accumulation on vehicles

Thumbnail by Texasgal77

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2009
9:26 PM

Post #7339089

Another front angle

Thumbnail by Texasgal77

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2009
9:28 PM

Post #7339094

One more back yard

Thumbnail by Texasgal77

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2009
9:45 PM

Post #7339156

Patio makeshift 10 X 13 ft greenhouse

Thumbnail by Texasgal77

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2009
9:47 PM

Post #7339162

Different angle patio

Thumbnail by Texasgal77

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2009
9:50 PM

Post #7339169

Plants a little warmer now

Thumbnail by Texasgal77

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2009
9:53 PM

Post #7339175

More plants... They're not organized or placed artistically in any fashion...just crammed in there. We were in a hurry. They can be moved later...maybe.

Thumbnail by Texasgal77

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2009
9:54 PM

Post #7339182

Beautiful snow pics! And I love your temp. gh on the patio! Might have to copy that if it keeps freezing here.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2009
10:18 PM

Post #7339251

Thanks bigbubbles!

It works! It is so much less than trying to purchase a GH. I had to buy new plastic this year as I had stored the other plastic in the shed and it molded. I had used it three years, so I got my money's worth out of it! This year when I take it down I'll be sure to put it in the arts and crafts closet.

Did you get snow? Please post your pics!
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

December 5, 2009
10:53 PM

Post #7339371

Nice snow photos, but I do prefer to see that type of scenery in photos :O)
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2009
10:58 PM

Post #7339399

Me too!
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2009
11:22 PM

Post #7339499

No snow that stuck...just a few flurries. What kind of plastic did you use...roll kind or ...? It sure makes a great temporary enclosure. I like that you can open it like a shower curtain when it gets warm. Very clever!
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

December 5, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #7339529

Since having joined DG I've learned a bit about the USDA zone system. Previously I'd seen references to it but a series of numbers on their own don't have a lot of meaning. This system is based on how cold a place can get. There's another system for palms and it's based on where particular species can grow (Geoff Stein - "Palmbob" - on DG was involved in developing it). There's also a 'heat zone' system based on how hot it can get, ie how many days of the year on average will go above 30C (converts to about 86F). That one's not used much. The big thing all these systems ignore is human nature. People will always try to grow things that are not supposed to grow. My gardens are full of plants that are very dependent on my intervention. In all this there are many successes, but also too many failures. I guess that's why the gardening businesses that sell these plants are often flourishing better than our gardens.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2009
11:47 PM

Post #7339592

This is true! Here it rarely gets below 25F, and then only approx four times a year and usually for only a few hours at a time. During the summer however, we are usually in the mid 90'sF and on occasion reach the high 90's. Most tropicals do well here, except that from Dec to March 17 or so they have to be protected.

We use Industrial strength or heavy duty 70 X 78 shower curtains. In the front they are doubled. On the sides the Hawaiian Scheffelera is so high on each side that it helps block the wind. On the one side the shed also helps block it.

In the past we have also enclosed the hut and even covered the swingset frame last year before the new patio cover had been installed.

Tues. it is supposed to be 70 again. At least we can open them if we need to to get some air.

There is ventilation below and above the curtain so we do not use a fan. So far we have not needed a heater. This is about the fourth year we have done this.

Most of the plants that were brought in usually line the patio, so we didn't have to far to move them.

extranjera
Mérida, Yucatán
Mexico
(Zone 11)

December 6, 2009
1:25 AM

Post #7339963

Brrrrrr!! I agree that snow is best seen on calendars and xmas cards. That poor banana with snow on it, makes me cold to look at it. Houston getting snow has been on all the news, even down here in Mexico. I don't know if we are getting the remains of your storm or what but it was overcast and cold here today. Cold is relative, we had a high of about 80f but it felt cold.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2009
2:27 AM

Post #7340181

Hi Jeane, I love that tropical hut!

Amen! tropicbreeze, well said, and that's why I have all these plants that "don't grow here"

The Jungle did take a hit, but so far it's all cosmetic.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2009
4:32 AM

Post #7340522

Good to hear from both of you! I would love for it to be 80 here!

Randy, sorry to hear the jungle took a hit...hope everything will be OK!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2009
4:45 AM

Post #7340546

Oh, it is fine! mostly cosmetic
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2009
6:04 AM

Post #7340658

Ours too! Banana leaves will come back in the Spring!
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

December 7, 2009
4:33 PM

Post #7344817

Lovely pics Jeanne, but so glad it's not me!

Bigbubbles, Jeanne's greenhouse was a huge success - such a clever idea, and worked so well for her. There is a thread where she shows pics of it somewhere...sorry I don't have time to look for it right now.

Jeanne, glad to hear that you are feeling better, and glad you are back posting! Sometimes I wonder where all the "old guys" are and how they are doing. Perhaps they will post and let us know what they are up to nowadays.
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

December 12, 2009
4:49 PM

Post #7361686

Hey everybody!
Jeanne, i LOVE your greenhouse - or should i say hut - its really a great idea. i have never seen snow personally, and i would like to one day. but i don't want to live there, just see it. i hope all your tropical plants survive. and well said, Tbreeze. unfortunately i have had more failures than success, so for now i am sticking to indigenous.
haha, i don't suppose i am one of the "old timers," now am i, Bhmom? i also am glad, Jeanne, that you are back and posting. you are a valuable person on this forum.
Isaac
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 13, 2009
1:31 AM

Post #7363130

Hey, Jeanne. Thank you for posting pictures of the snow on the tropicals. We had the same thing here but I didn't get out the camera. Everything looks really sad but I know it is only temporary. Didn't see your thread about island want-to-be and I also posted something similar. Listening to Brudda IZ sing "Wish Upon A Star" at this moment. Finally coming back to life. For a long time I didn't want to live.
You're correct, Isaac, she is a special and valuable friend.

PK
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

December 13, 2009
3:18 PM

Post #7364346

Middlin' old Isaac!
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

December 14, 2009
9:17 AM

Post #7366899

lol...
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2009
8:34 PM

Post #7371771

I have a message from Jeanne on my phone yesterday.
She request prayers, she is in the hospital. Tests are underway to locate an unidentified blood loss she is experiencing.
Rj
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 15, 2009
11:12 PM

Post #7372216

Oh dear. Did she say what hospital?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2009
2:58 AM

Post #7372869

Prayers being sent from up here. Keep us updated on her condition.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2009
4:44 AM

Post #7373144

Dear Jeanne,

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Get well soon!
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

December 16, 2009
1:31 PM

Post #7373645

Oh dear!!! i hope she gets better soon! please let us know if you hear anything about her again.
isaac
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 16, 2009
4:36 PM

Post #7374151

I am no doctor but my cousin was in the hospital for over a week while they looked for blood loss. Turns out it was the "baby" aspirin he took everyday for a just in case thing so he wouldn't have a heart attack. He is almost 90 and has never had a heart attack even after stopping the aspirin some 16 years ago. Just a thought.

Christi
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2009
5:09 AM

Post #7379024

Hi Everyone!

Thank you for your prayers! I was in San Jacinto Hosp. here in Baytown. I was very weak, short of breath, chest pain, and my heart would just pound out of my chest when I so much as walked to the mailbox. Then it would happen more often, harder, until Friday eve it did it three times in about 2 hours, so I decided that after a month it was time to go to ER! We went quickly!

They got me right in and did an EKG which showed Tachecardia (SP?). They took blood, CBC, chest XRAY, and said very quickly that I had lost 4 pints of blood. I had just been to my Dr's a month ago and they had taken blood, and everything was OK. (so I thought)

They put me in ICU and transfused in the 4 pints. The next day my heart had calmed down enough to be moved to a reg. room. I was so excited, only to find out they had an ALARM on my bed, and because I was classified a "FALL RISK" .I had to have assistance to get up or the alarm went off!. What a downer! So for the next couple of days I was confined to the bed! UGH!

My daughter was there with me the entire time, so they finally turned off the alarm.
Free-dom!!!!!!! I still continued to wear the portable heart monitor.

I had the greatest Cardiologist, Gastro, and primary care DR's. They were so compassionate and let me know straight up how serious the situation was. My blood had been at 5.2 and it only takes a 5.0 to turn "blue". They were very concerned. I explained to them that it was OK...!!!!! I had got there in plenty of time. I had "missed the bus to heaven"!!. I was fine. There was no "Out of body experiences...NO bright lights... I'm still HERE!

I came into this world LATE, I'm sure not leaving EARLY! Not to worry! When It's my time I'm ready, but it just was not NOW!

They did tests and I have 3 very large ulcers. They will do a colonoscopy later, but do not want to overstress my heart right now. My Mom is a colon cancer surviver of 8 years. She too lost 4 pints of blood in 2001 before finding out that she had cancer. I have had the test twice...once had polops removed the second was clear. I am "due" for another test again...which we will do in about two weeks.

I have new meds. I am off all aspirin and blood thinners. I have to have a CBC frequently. If it gets down to an 8 then I will have to have another pint of blood that they will do as an "Outpatient". At first they thought that I had lost all of the blood over a month, but come to find out, my Dr had not done a CBC last month so I had lost it over a 6-9 mo. period or longer. However, I had lost it faster than my body could make it.

I had excellent care the whole time. Everyone there was the greatest. I came home yesterday. I am taking it easy.

We are going to my daughter's for Christmas dinner, so I will be RESTING between now and then. I had Christmas shopped before I went into the Hospital, so am pretty well done.

Thank you Randy for posting the message! You are the greatest!
Thank you all for your prayers. It is sincerely appreciated!! Merry Christmas to all and to ALL a GOOD Night!

Jeanne.

Thumbnail by Texasgal77

westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

December 18, 2009
3:17 PM

Post #7379728

Oh my goodness, Jeanne!!!
i am so glad and thankful that you are going to be alright!! prayers were answered. We are all thinking of you, and will continue to pray for your speedy recovery.
take care,
isaac
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2009
3:52 PM

Post #7379812

Oh Jeanne,

What a time you have had! Thinking of you every day and hoping you are able to get as much rest as possible. Something like that brings home the fact that life can change in an instant - thank goodness you got to the hospital when you did.

^_^
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2009
8:58 PM

Post #7380559

Jen, Isaac,

Thank you for your prayers! They are sincerely appreciated! I am resting!

Aloha!
Jeanne
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 18, 2009
10:37 PM

Post #7380754

Well, dadgum. Wrote a long reply earlier and looks like I didn't hit "send". Do that all the time. Shorten it to say I love you very much and will continue praying that you heal real soon. CHRISTmas is no time to be ill. My bananas and sago are still going strong. Thank you for your generosity. Are you still building on your doll house?
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2009
10:42 PM

Post #7380769

Christi,
I haven't done anything to the doll house since last Spring. It needs dusting bad but it will have to wait.

Thank you for your prayers! It is sincerely appreciated.
Jeanne
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2009
2:03 AM

Post #7381272

Glad you are much better and they are working on the problem!!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2009
3:35 AM

Post #7381431

Thanks Pepper! I'm sure everything will be fine! Thanks for your prayers!

Merry Christmas!
Jeanne
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 19, 2009
10:13 AM

Post #7381723

Praying for you this morning, Jeanne. Can't sleep and this is a good time to talk to our Lord.

This message was edited Dec 19, 2009 4:47 AM
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

December 19, 2009
10:42 AM

Post #7381740

Texasgirll/Jeanne,
I am glad you are home and what an ordeal!! Tachycardia is the right SP. I am a retired RN with OR experience .You might have been bleeding a while but did not notice. You did not have tarry stools? Meaning red clay colored? Where are your ulcers?
Yes most of the Doctors are nice and acts like angels and so with the nurses. They are new breeds!!! I think the mean ones are all in Heaven or hell !! LOL!! I remember some yelled and threw instruments but no such thing now!! We write them up and they get suspended!!
Take it easy and because of the ulcers the diet must be followed. Check what food to avoid. The endoscopy will tell you where the ulcers are. Take care!! Belle
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2009
8:07 PM

Post #7382697

Bellieg, Occasionally, but not consistant...I'm not sure where the ulcers are actually located in my stomache. The Dr. said to avoid spicy foods. We bake everything so don't really eat much in the way of greasy foods. I go back to the Dr. on the 29th. I get my CBC done Wednesday.

Thanks,
Jeane
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2009
12:35 AM

Post #7383372

Bellieg you have Dmail!

Jeanne
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

December 20, 2009
1:59 PM

Post #7384634

Glad to hear in the States you don't have the type of nurses we do here!! in the government hospitals they are a bunch of witches...
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

December 20, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #7384655

Because of competition and accreditation every personnel involve with patient care must uphold the mission of the hospital. We must take pride of what we do and also that we belong to a caring hospital and that our priority is the patient our customer with the goal to discharge the patient better than when we admitted him/her. We also get evaluated and raises sometimes depends on the evaluation. I can go on and on and on about my profession. Have a Merry Christmas every one and stay healthy. Belle
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 20, 2009
4:38 PM

Post #7384971

Having been at the bedside when both of my parents passed over, I can attest that it was the nurses that kept them well for the longest time possible and then had incredible compassion when the time came for them to "go home".

Christi
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2009
5:37 PM

Post #7385117

Goodmorning Everyone!

I must say that San Jacinto Hosp has made a total about face from when I was in there the last time about 3 years ago. The overall attitude of the Dr's and nurses were totally different! I had swore that I would NEVER go back there again "unless I was dying." Which pretty well happened. haha! (One should really be careful what they confess!)

This time everyone was so cheerful and positive. Even the nurse management and housekeeping mgr came in to get my personal rating. It was totally different from ER, ICU, to the floor!

I don't know if they are all just happy to have jobs or what improvement program San Jac has implimented...but it was very different!

Have a great day!

westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

December 21, 2009
7:18 PM

Post #7388384

i am so glad to hear it has improved, Jeanne. over here the doctors are usually very friendly and nice, and so are the people who do all the cleaning. but the nurses...
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2009
8:18 PM

Post #7388504

Isaac, it used to be that way here, but no more! It was actually a pleasant experience. They could not have been nicer!

Merry Christmas Everyone!
Jeanne
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

December 22, 2009
3:48 PM

Post #7390568

Glad to hear that, maybe they will implement some rules here too.
an early Merry Christmas to everyone from here too!!
isaac
butterfly_life
Houston, TX

October 23, 2010
11:04 AM

Post #8171399

Hello Texasgal in Baytown,
I'm just a few miles away , down 90 ,just east of the Beltway. Having seen no posts since last year , I sure hope you have recovered as much as our yards did after the freeze. I also have a very tropical look in parts of my yard near the pond.I hope to see a post soon...

Thumbnail by butterfly_life

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 28, 2010
5:07 AM

Post #8180899

Jeanne ^_^ how are you keeping I hope the Snow isn't too cold there.
I think I have told you before that I have never seen snow.
I hope you are well and nice and warm!
The same to all of our American friends ...we are going into Summer soon but it has been a very cool Spring for us ...so maybe you can keep the snow (pretty as it is) because I would miss my flowers way too much.
Hugs Jeanne and a wave to everyone else!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 9, 2010
11:26 AM

Post #8203044

HiChrissy...Fortunaltely those pictures are from last year! It virtually destroyed everything. In the Spring several plants did come back. We lost all of our Hibiscus, half of the plumeria trees, most of the majesty palms and several others.

I repurchased majesty palms and ferns and several artificial orchids! I have thoroughly enjoyed them.

Butterfly, it is good to hear from you. I am hoping this winter will be a mild one.

We did buy two 10 X 10 wind curtains from Walmart to put up around the patio to protect the tropicals this year. They should be long enough to stake down. I'm hoping the tropicals will survive this year! I can't afford to keep replacing them!

I am finally beginning to get my strength back. I still have to pace everything.

Jeanne

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America