Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Computer Talk: How long do Laptops last??

Communities > Forums > Computer Talk
bookmark
Forum: Computer TalkReplies: 12, Views: 136
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2009
10:37 PM

Post #7339312

I think it's been jsut over 3 yrs since I bought my son a Toshiba Satellite ... about the last year, there have been issues with the monitor, with vertical lines ... currently 1/3 of the screen is not visible due to pinks and lavenders. Today he came home from school and said he could no longer charge it, but said there is nothing wrong with the battery... I'm assuming it's the charger. I've got it plugged in, but it shows the red X on the battery with 7 min remaining.

think it's time to buy a new one ?? [when it rains it pours] or isn this be salvageable ??

TIA

Terese

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 5, 2009
11:08 PM

Post #7339446

I bought AC adaptors for our two laptops on eBay. A screen or video card is another story - get a quote on repair or replacement and decide whether it is time to buy a new laptop.

Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2009
11:09 PM

Post #7339454

3 years on a laptop battery would be about it's lifetime, depending upon
how it was drained & recharged. Some batteries are available online at
a reasonable cost. OEM batteries can sting your wallet.

At today's labor costs, up to $100 per hour, you may want to bite the
bullet and buy a new one. It will probably come with '7 which would save
you a couple hundred bucks for an upgrade. I think you can find new ones
for $500 or less. Most of the laptop functions are on the motherboard so
replacing it is expensive, not counting the display possibly being bad. It
was the most expensive part of a laptop at one time.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2009
11:43 PM

Post #7339576

thanks... I'm going to tell him that since i bought the last one, he can buy this one. If i need to pay for it up front, I can do that -- but he's paying me back. I'm hoping he will take better care of one if he pays for it. I have my doubts though.

I think the monitor issue is with the monitor, or teh connection... he used to be able to wiggle it a bit, and the vert. stripes would go away... but now that it is solid, you can hardly even work on it.

Thanks for the input.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2009
12:47 AM

Post #7339816

Dh did test the power supply, and it's shot. We may just pick one up off of ebay... for one, we need a little bit of power at least to get documents off the laptop... I'm sure he's got school work on it.

but -- now it's up to him if he wants to buy a new one.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 6, 2009
2:16 AM

Post #7340147

At least laptops are about half the price and twice the performance from 3 years ago.

Batteries are usually not worth replacing unless you absolutely need to run off batteries. Maybe one day the manufacturers will use better batteries instead of the cheap stuff. I think they are still using Ni-Cd which is notorious for poor performance. My new work laptop (Dell) is about a year old and the batteries may last ten minutes. My personal laptop (HP) is 3 years old and the batteries may last 2 minutes.

One other thing you can do to test the monitor is plug in an external monitor and toggle the CRT/LCD display.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2009
3:07 AM

Post #7340306

thanks hcmc... the battery isn't completely dead, it's the charger. I'm hoping i have enough time left on it to go grab all his music [Itunes] and throw them on an ext. HDD.

I'm checking out laptops... and i'm finding i can get a Dell cheaper at Best Buy than i can at Dells with out discount. go figure. guess it's due to the holidays.

but -- this is gonna hurt in his pocket book, especially since it's the holidays ... the g/f can be high maintenance in the gift department.

>>test the monitor is plug in an external monitor and toggle the CRT/LCD display.

yes ... i did think of this, as i have an old CTR in the basement. but if i have no batter life, i can't really work on that. We did find a charger on ebay... about $20 delivered.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 6, 2009
3:15 AM

Post #7340325

More than likely you have a weak point in the cable of your charger (close to the end where it plugs into the computer). You can usually strip the cable and solder the broken ends together. Use electrical tape to keep the wires separated - anyway it works pretty good until you get a new adaptor. The bad thing is if your adaptor isn't the problem - my old Dell work laptop had a bad capacitor inside the computer.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2009
4:42 AM

Post #7340538

DH used this voltage tester thing... he said there was "x" amount going to the 'box' and zero going from there to the laptop. He did play around with the end of the cable and could not get any 'twitch' on the volt meter.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 6, 2009
12:17 PM

Post #7340980

Sometimes it is just easier to wait for the new adaptor to come in than cut the cable, find the broken wire, and repair it.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2009
2:18 PM

Post #7341147

well... Dh just asked if we should just order/buy that new charger... so we will, the sooner the better i guess. then we will take it from there. the kid has two more weeks in this semester... then a month off i think... so hes got some time to figure out what he's gonna do. he can use his brother's in the meantime.

thanks for all your input.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2009
12:42 AM

Post #7357063

we got the new power cord today... it's up and charging...

I did find a connector for a monitor on teh back.. .so i'll do that next.

but here is an image of what his screen looks like.

I had to drag the task bar over to the left just so i could see certain things. But you can see the right side of the monitor is gone... where it used to be colored stripes, it is now just black... i put in a background that would cover the screen, so it' was visible. and you can see about a 2" wide strip to the left of that, that is starting to "go" too.

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2009
10:25 PM

Post #7359820

Just an update... DH who is not a computer wizz... but can fix just about anything... did some research, and actually fixed the LCD screen.

so, the kid... who i personally think is abusive to the thing... just may limp it along until he saves up some cash to buy a new one... He wont be able to use it in school... unless he sits by an outlet... as the battery is shot... though he's got a new charger.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Computer Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hotmail help Calalily 13 Jul 17, 2008 11:51 AM
Screen Capture Programs holty 16 Feb 8, 2010 2:13 AM
This 'problem' is driving me nuts! hczone6 10 Feb 11, 2014 4:24 PM
Laptop recommendations Gwendalou 10 Jul 30, 2007 10:12 PM
G Mail Invitations PudgyMudpies 43 Dec 28, 2007 12:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America