-
AuthorContent
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

December 6, 2009
3:07 AM

Post #7340305

Do any of you have experience with Guara cuttings? I was just curious what method is the best to propagate them other than seeds. Thanks!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 7, 2009
7:51 PM

Post #7345722

From ECKE.com:

Propagation
Pink Fountain Gaura can be propagated in various tray sizes including 72,84, and 105’s. Stick one cutting per cell.

Media

•Choose a well-drained aerated propagation media
•Avoid media containing peat moss which will hold too much water
•Choose a blended media with other components or inorganic media such as Oasis® or Rockwool®
Bottom Heat

•Bottom heat will promote healthy root development.
•Maintain bottom heat at 70-75°F/21-24°C.
•Mist will cool the media temperature. Monitor media temperature closely and frequently.
Rooting Hormones
•Pink Fountain roots easily without the use of rooting hormone. However, time to root and uniformity in rooting may be improved with use of a hormone.
•Either liquid or powder formulations work equally well. Choose a product with up to 2500 ppm IBA or up to 500 ppm NAA.
Misting
•Average days with mist vary from 6-9 days depending on environmental conditions in the greenhouse.
•Mist cuttings so they remain turgid but avoid over misting that results in saturated media.
•Over misting will result in slow rooting and possible problems with root rot and botrytis.
Pinching
•Pinch cuttings in week 4 of propagation.
Propagation Cycle: 4 weeks
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2009
9:27 PM

Post #7346057

Thanks!
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2009
9:55 PM

Post #7388718

Update:

Just for fun, I tried a couple of cuttings in a plastic cup of water...and they have rooted in about 2 weeks. I put them under a light and both are rooting.
ghopper
Brewster, MN
(Zone 4b)

December 25, 2009
1:35 AM

Post #7396872

Isn't it great that gaura are so easy? They didn't want to winter over here so I dug up the whole plant to come indoors for the winter. I pruned it hard and thought I'd try cuttings to just see what happened. Every last one rooted in water in about a week. Potted them and they are now husky little kids, under lights, and in a 50 degree basement. The Mom plant has grown hundreds of new little stems. More starts? Maybe.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Propagation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
rooting bamboo justmeLisa 14 Oct 19, 2010 10:25 AM
Propogating Aucuba dave 17 Apr 25, 2008 8:36 PM
crepe myrtle venessa 54 Jul 1, 2008 4:11 AM
Top 10 Easiest to Grow from Cuttings kmom246 281 Jun 13, 2011 9:12 AM
Stella d'Oro seeds, how to start? Melissa 26 Feb 26, 2009 12:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America