Photo by Melody

Winter Sowing: I think you've got me hooked!

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 9, Views: 87
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gretagreenthumb
Wichita Falls, TX

December 6, 2009
5:11 AM

Post #7340591

I bet I"ve read every word written on this site and those referred to and dang, you've got me hooked. And a little bit scared! Already afraid I'll get that funny disease that makes you all plant way too many plants! Then I won't lable them good enough!

And what's worse -- I haven't a empty milk jug on the premises. What am I to do? I have lots of nursery pots -- amazing how many you can collect when you offer to compost a small nurserie's end of the season's leftovers (Attwoods Farm Supply). Most are about 4-5" tall and 4-5" dia. Think they will work?

I went through my seed stock and picked out those I thought might work, now I am anxious to get started. I really want to do poppies and I had considered direct sowing them (sure would be easier, but the weed thing is an issue.) Also wanting to do pink muhly grass, anybody done those?

Okay, just had to let you know that someone else has joined the ranks of WG crazies. Should I warn the cops or my neighbors? (Told you I've read it all!)
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2009
11:50 AM

Post #7340963

greta: Welcome to wintersowing.

Hopefully another Texan will answer you. I really can't relate to your weather conditions, but some thoughts that come to mind.

You will get much better germination with covered containers. You could put those nursery pots into a larger plastic container ( with holes drilled into top and bottom) like rubbermaid or sterilite bins. Or you could cover with a plastic dropcloth but should prop it up with something sturdy like wire to keep the plastic cover off the seeds/seedlings. You'll have to uncover after germination and limit sun exposure once the weather gets warm to prevent drying out.

I have always had the best results with milk jugs and 2 liter pop bottles, and find them the easiest. They also have lots of headroom for growing seedlings. You could ask your friends, family, neighbors and coworkers to save them for you. Collect them from recycle bins on garbage nights. Go to recycle centers for them. We never buy gallons of milk but I manage to collect a tons of them without much effort at all.

Karen
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 6, 2009
4:09 PM

Post #7341421

When one raids the recycle bins or you ask somebody to save them for you and they are not washed out from the leftover milk residue..what can one do to get that horrible odor out? I posted this question on another thread but figured it wouldn't hurt to post it here again. Using soap and water, baking soda, or vinegar or bleach?
Now if we could talk Clorox into making their bleach bottles clear plastic!
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 7, 2009
12:58 AM

Post #7342978

Just add a little bit of bleach to the bottle, fill with water, let sit 10 or 15 minutes, and dump. Odor should be gone. Allow to dry.

Karen
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 12, 2009
9:55 PM

Post #7362614

Grocery stores dump outdated milk too. I'm watching at work (walmart) for the milk dump day and I'm gonna snatch a bag of empties:lol: I also asked a friend to save clear 2 liter bottles for me since I don't drink soda much and when I do they're green (ginger ale).
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2009
9:59 PM

Post #7362624

Green pop bottles can be used. They allow light to pass through.

Karen
stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 13, 2009
4:38 AM

Post #7363596

You can also use clear rubbermate totes (or sterlite). Get them at the dollar store.
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 13, 2009
3:04 PM

Post #7364298

Cool! Thanks for letting me know that green is OK:lol: I've been looking at the totes too. Usually all I tend to see are clear bottoms and solid color tops but we've got some all clear ones now for post Christmas packing so I'm going to pick up a few.
kdfisher
Ellijay, GA
(Zone 7a)

December 13, 2009
10:23 PM

Post #7365549

I too am chomping at the bit to see how this winter sowing pans out. If I have too many I plan on taking them to the local Lions Club annual spring plant sale. I found those roasting pans at the dollar store will work just fine for me. Lottsa room and more organization the way I look at it.
stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 14, 2009
12:16 AM

Post #7365880

You can use clear take out containers and deli containers, too.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America